Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

nyampo

MDD hybrid on a budget

nyampo

Couldn’t find a post about this so I decided to make one.

I’m looking for a body for my MDD head but I’m on a budget. Can anyone recommend me something affordable? 

chantelle

Imomodoll is currently selling relatively affordable 1/4 bodies that can share clothing with MDD. They come in SW and tan. SW is labeled as DD SW so skintone matching shouldn’t be a proble,. The heads seem to be around the same size as a MDD/DD head so it shouldn’t look out of place on either body. I don’t know if you would have to find a workaround to attach a Volks head but it should be possible. The chubby body is shorter than an MDD (similar to Kumako) but the Mimi body is the same height and could work as a mochi-ashi alternative. Note that they are new and experimental so I’m not sure what to do if anything breaks.

You could also consider Parabox’s Obitsu based 40-45 cm bodies. The skintone is Obitsu’s whitey which is between flesh and SW for DD. It’s more expensive than the Imomodoll bodies but its cheaper than MDD. If something breaks you can buy replacement parts so theres more security in that regard. A lot of people like them because they are very poseable and have magnetic feet.

Edited by chantelle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

chantelle

I just remembered but PolitelyNefarious had looked into the measurements of the Imomodoll Mimi body and it is similar in measurement to MDD!

On 12/24/2022 at 7:23 PM, PolitelyNefarious said:

@chantelle  If I understand the measurements correctly, the Mimi body should put her at the same height as MDD, or very close. The measurements are slightly different: MDD's flat bust is 15.5 cm, Imomo's is 16.6. MDD's waist is 13.5, Mimi's is 13.  Of course the biggest difference is those hips- MDD's are 18, Mimi's are 21.5, enough space to hopefully couch the thighs. But everything else checks out: Mochi Ashi's thighs are 13.5, Mimi's are 14, and so on. It seems both precise and deliberate: they've made a fully-proportioned curvy doll that is directly scaled to Mochi Ashi. Theoretically she should be able to wear Mochi Ashi's clothes / regular MDD tops and non-tight dresses. It will all come down to the hips. I believe MDD shoes should fit her too.

nyampo

Thanks for the info. What type of clothes can Obitsu bodies fit into? I have resin msd but I was wondering if they can share clothes?

chantelle
Just now, nyampo said:

Thanks for the info. What type of clothes can Obitsu bodies fit into? 

No problem! The Obitsu 40 and 45 should fit in the same clothing as MDD! If I remember correctly, the Obitsu 40 is similar in height to MDD and the Obitsu 45 is slightly taller. I don't own either though so I would recommend looking around on the forum.

4 minutes ago, nyampo said:

I have resin msd but I was wondering if they can share clothes?

It depends but if its MSD and not slim MSD, there is some compatibility! I bought plenty of MSD sized clothing for my MDD and I never had any problems. However I am not sure if the other way around works because MDD are slimmer than MSD.

ragnamuffin
20 minutes ago, nyampo said:

What type of clothes can Obitsu bodies fit into?

The 45 is also able to wear Azone’s 45 line of clothes. They’re currently going all out making a ton of clothing to fit their Iris Collect Petit dolls, so there’s a ton of options.

• Like 1

PolitelyNefarious

0bsequi0us kindly reposted this owner comparison photo with the smaller, non-torso-joint Imomo body:

momocomp.jpg.e505511f483d7fa77a2c39330a60c3d4.jpg

(It is the third one in, next to Tiny Fox)  Since they the share the same general neck size and upper body proportions, assuming the colour matches are decent or are able to be blushed to match by a good faceup artist, a hybrid with an MDD head should be possible. Although that neck peg looks thinner, so you might have to use some tape to thicken it for an MDD to properly fit.

The idea behind Imomo's 1/4th girls seems to have been to make a Mochi Ashi with legs designed to peg in properly, as their measurements are noticeably similar to Mochi Ashi's, at least on paper. Imomo is slightly thicker overall to make her lower body proportionate to the chubbier thighs. But her upper body is almost spot-on to MDD. However as none of us have gotten our girls in-hand yet, we can't attest to their durability versus MDD. Which is a downside considering that Imomo does dolls in batches rather than regularly releasing extra parts.

Obitsu on the other hand, you can find almost everything between the Parabox store and secondhand. And anyone who has owned one can attest to their flexibility. You'll want to go for newer bodies rather than older for best durability and poise. They are fun to handle. Edit: Oculae kindly informed me that my information about Obitsu neckpegs is out of date- you can fit a Dollfie head on the default ones.

Edited by PolitelyNefarious
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1541664063_324SigUpdate(1).jpg.0e6f96def94bd21c61f91356e0bc8f92.jpg 855019605_DeletelaterSmol.jpg.136e5d245c2328488f8736543aceb78d.jpg

Oculae
10 hours ago, PolitelyNefarious said:

The default neckpeg won't fit Dollfie though; you'll have to swap it, but I think they come with more.

Issuing some corrections as an avid headswapper, sorry for pinging you Nefarious. 😅 The default Obitsu neck peg WILL fit a Dollfie head, if you take it apart and are willing to use a hair dryer and some force. I have done so lots of times!

http://blog.livedoor.jp/mimiwoo/archives/51569280.html

They DO NOT come with alternate pegs though, that's only for their 1/6 sizes and below. However, there ARE some 3D printed options if you don't want to try making the default peg work, including one specifically for a DD head!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/76VWLL36J/obitsu-to-dd-neck-post

And as Nefarious mentioned, there are lots of options if the basic Obitsu 50 isn't to your tastes. Obitsu makes a 40cm that's compatible with all regular MDD clothes and accessories, Parabox sells both of those and has options for a 45cm, a 47cm, and a 48cm (and probably more because my memory is terrible), as well as all those sizes in a boy model if you'd prefer a boy.

Visuadoll, Azone, and Angel Philia also use this frame, and both Azone and Angel Philia have nicer, more mature-looking vinyl, though Azone doesn't sell bodies separately as far as I'm aware, and Angel Philia only does so rarely, so you'd have to look at the secondhand market for both.

(Those two will probably be out of your budget too if an MDD is, but it's always fun to window shop and have a dream to save up for. ❤️)

Edited by Oculae
  • Thanks 1

tumblr_o9govtKpFv1v9twgko1_400.gif.eae368d3c0bfc2a75087167170705ec2.gifPlease ping me when replying!

Tira
On 2/12/2023 at 5:46 AM, nyampo said:

Azone clothes are great I had a set for my Pullip back when I collected them. I’m waiting on a doll and head from Sweetydoll so I’m curious if my MDD head would fit on a Sweetydoll body. 

https://www.mydollection.com/product-page/sweetydoll-sweety-and-bean-1-4-msd-full-doll

It would probably fit, but since it's a resin body, actually attaching it will be trickier, though there are online tutorials available.

nyampo
11 hours ago, Tira said:

It would probably fit, but since it's a resin body, actually attaching it will be trickier, though there are online tutorials available.

I’ll look those up then. Might have to ask someone for help. 

PolitelyNefarious

@Oculae  Many belated thanks! No apologies- I would rather be corrected than spread misinformation! This is actually fantastic news as it means much less hoop-jumping for a working hybrid.

1541664063_324SigUpdate(1).jpg.0e6f96def94bd21c61f91356e0bc8f92.jpg 855019605_DeletelaterSmol.jpg.136e5d245c2328488f8736543aceb78d.jpg

nyampo

The Imomodoll body is currently out of stock at Jane’s Dolland. And as far as I know Imomo hasn’t updated their website in a long time

Xiongmao

Very interesting. My sister in law is desperate to acquire a Dollfie (or similar) but their funds are low since they have a real life MDD (a 3 yo who loves all types of dolls 😆).

I said I'd find my bro a doll to give her. I think an MDD would be best. She said she likes the smaller dolls and already has a Blythe.

I don't know if I could assemble a hybrid, or whether I'm better off just finding a bargain basement priced MDD on Buyee. I guess if she was a little stained I'd be able to clean her up after my experiences with the Kirika mishap.

Xiongmao-Signature-Vinyl-Dolls-December-2023.jpg.092aa55b9a3c11160633f60ad1610e7c.jpg 

My Dollfie doll family 😊.

Tira
3 hours ago, Xiongmao said:

Very interesting. My sister in law is desperate to acquire a Dollfie (or similar) but their funds are low since they have a real life MDD (a 3 yo who loves all types of dolls 😆).

I said I'd find my bro a doll to give her. I think an MDD would be best. She said she likes the smaller dolls and already has a Blythe.

I don't know if I could assemble a hybrid, or whether I'm better off just finding a bargain basement priced MDD on Buyee. I guess if she was a little stained I'd be able to clean her up after my experiences with the Kirika mishap.

Imomodoll and Tinyfox both have 1/4 scale vinyl anime dolls that are quite a bit less than an MDD. Imomodoll is cheaper, but Tinyfox has fullsets available, if you think she'd prefer a more finished doll. Tinyfox dolls are also built more like a standard MDD, while the Imomodoll bodies have much wider hips.

Both of them have YoSD sized dolls as well, if she'd like one that small.

Edited by Tira
  • Like 1