Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

ranmyu

Sewing and Fabric Questions

ranmyu

I've set my mind on purchasing AP Sayo soon, and have been wondering about some things regarding making clothing/staining. 

1. I've heard that certain types of dark fabric are less likely to stain, does anyone know specifically what types?
  2. Can prewashing fabric reduce the likelihood of staining?
  3. Is it enough to just line everything with white fabric and be cautious of positioning to avoid staining?
  4. Can painted metal/plastic jewelry or accessories stain?

I might be overthinking these things as first doll anxiety, I'd really appreciate anyone who can help or guide me to the right resources!

• Like 3

ragnamuffin
On 6/16/2023 at 10:11 AM, ranmyu said:

Can painted metal/plastic jewelry or accessories stain?

I don’t know the answers to your other questions but maybe @XOHimitsuOX does. I think prewashing the fabric and lining everything in white are good ideas.

For the jewelry/accessories, there is always a stain risk if they are metal, painted or not. What’s worse is that unlike stains from dye, they’re especially hard if not impossible to stain treat. I make metal jewelry for dolls and my advice is to only have it on for photoshoots and short periods of time. If you want to keep it on longer or incorporate it into the clothing, make sure it doesn’t touch the vinyl directly.

XOHimitsuOX
On 6/16/2023 at 9:11 AM, ranmyu said:

I've set my mind on purchasing AP Sayo soon, and have been wondering about some things regarding making clothing/staining. 

1. I've heard that certain types of dark fabric are less likely to stain, does anyone know specifically what types?
  3. Is it enough to just line everything with white fabric and be cautious of positioning to avoid staining?
  4. Can painted metal/plastic jewelry or accessories stain?

I might be overthinking these things as first doll anxiety, I'd really appreciate anyone who can help or guide me to the right resources!

I don't know which dark fabrics that don't stain, however if you decide to make clothes it's probably best to get a scrap piece of vinyl that no one wants for cheap for testing fabrics. If you're buying the material in person, have a feel and if it doesn't feel right, like it has too much dye then it's best to avoid it. Also try to see if can get a sample piece for testing. Usually I just wrap a test sample around the vinyl and leave for weeks, preferably in a hot environment. The same goes with thread, as that can also stain.

Prewashing fabrics can remove excess dye, I generally do this in a white tub in hot water with some detergent, let it sit for half an hour or so and then see how the colour of the water has changed. Give the material a rinse, then repeat until there's minimal amount of dye in the water. Also some fabrics shrink after washing, so keep this in mind.

So to answer your question, if the fabric stains, washing it will probably reduce the intensity of staining.

I you want to be safe lining will create a barrier, with a few caveats. 

1. Makes more work

2. Can make the item bulky

So you can line just the necessity parts that have constant contact to the doll.

I hope that this information is helpful.

• Thanks 1

Tierparkzone

@K-2's Kizuna and Chitose did a crash course on staining that may be helpful to start out:

I do own plenty of black/dark clothing items that don't stain at all. They're usually made of synthetic fibers, as these can be colored during production and don't necessarily need to be dyed afterwards. For now, I had the most luck with polyester based fabrics. - However there's no guarantee that a specific polyester fabric has not been dyed afterwards, so best to test new fabric by wrapping it around a piece of scrap vinyl or a spare hand (that can easlily be stain treated or replaced).

Same applies to threads - some sewing threads can stain, some won't (and polyester may give you better chances).

In my experience, washing with water and/or mild detergent helps to reduce the stain rate, but it won't completely stop the staining.

If the water during washing takes on the color of the fabric, it's definitely prone to stain easily. If the water stays clear, it's not a guarantee that the fabric is stain safe.

Very aggressively staining dye can potentially - over time - seep into the lining, and from there into the doll vinyl. (Similar how stains can propagate through body suits.) But lining should slow down the staining process significantly and give you an early warning (the lining should stain before the doll) if you check the outfit regularly.

an painted metal/plastic jewelry or accessories stain?

Unpainted plastic jewelry should not stain, as the pigment is baked into the plastic. Painted jewelry may cause issues depending on how well the paint is sealed.