Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
honooko

Pastel pencils?

honooko

Hey friends!

I went to the art supplies store to pick up some things for Kiyora's first faceup (mainly because all my previous supplies expired) and I noticed these "Pastel pencils" and I wondered if anyone had used them? I rely pretty heavily on watercolor pencils when doing resin faceups because I have chronic hand tremors and fine lines are Very Hard, but I know watercolor pencils stain vinyl and was resigning myself to many shaky lines until I saw these. Are they okay to use? I only grabbed two in case they're not. 

They say "Bruynzeel Holland Pastel" on them. I couldn't really find much info anywhere about use in faceups.

spacer.png

0bsequi0us

Huh, interesting! I'd never heard of these before. I could find some people talking about using pastel pencils (not this exact brand though) on DOA, so it seems they can be used with sealant. But unfortunately I saw no discussion concerning vinyl staining. People seemed to think they were sort of difficult to use, though-- sort of weak and crumbly?

If you want to be extra careful you could test the pencils on the headcap first? idk how long it usually would take for a stain to set in, though...

I am intrigued, I also rely on watercolor pencils for underdrawing so a non-staining alternative would be awesome.

Edited by 0bsequi0us
  • Like 1

honooko

I gave them a quick light sketch on the pad at the store, they are definitely very fragile but also the pigmentation was really good. If they're safe, they might be really great. Not sure how I'd sharpen it yet...

MoiBakaDesu

I also own pastel pencils from Faber-Castell, when it comes to doll faceup usage I only ever used them like you would regular pastels, shaving them off with a knife and applying with a brush for blushing and shading.

I don't know how fragile yours are, but mine I can sharpen with a normal pencil sharpener without problem. But I feel they would be too soft to get very thin an clear lines. I would also be afraid of them smearing if I would try to use them for clear lines ... but it might be a good way to put some gradient into eyeliner and similar.

• Like 1

honooko
On 12/14/2023 at 5:17 PM, MoiBakaDesu said:

I also own pastel pencils from Faber-Castell, when it comes to doll faceup usage I only ever used them like you would regular pastels, shaving them off with a knife and applying with a brush for blushing and shading.

I don't know how fragile yours are, but mine I can sharpen with a normal pencil sharpener without problem. But I feel they would be too soft to get very thin an clear lines. I would also be afraid of them smearing if I would try to use them for clear lines ... but it might be a good way to put some gradient into eyeliner and similar.

They ended up being a TOTAL livesaver when I was trying to get the fine eyelash details; I barely needed to press at all to leave a line, and they also came up if I rolled the kneaded eraser over it (so small scale adjustments are Hard.) I grabbed a few different brands based on the colors I wanted, but they all seemed about the same in usage. 

If you're a watercolor pencil user, I think the pastel pencils are a good substitute!

• Thanks 1