The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

kyojie011

what makes people leave doll/anime hobby??

kyojie011

i am just curious, what makes some people give up their doll/anime/figure collection hobby? i'm sorry if my question offende everybody, i just want to know..

Ara

I left the Anime/Manga hobby itself for a few reasons.

I was always very picky about what I liked, and a lot of stuff was just not my taste (too shojo/shonen, drawing style, humor, sometimes also how silly the 18+ stuff was etc.), and when I got older it was more and more difficult for me to find something I like and not found totally ridiculous.

I nowadays still like a few styles and even though I was never into series that have the same style as DDs I really enjoy their Anime-look :'D

I also left it for BJD collecting, all the hobbies I had before (drawing, cosplaying, collecting Manga) I stopped doing so I could invest as much money as possible for my newest and most loved hobby.

So for me it was a mixture between loosing interest, having a hard time finding something I like and money issues.

ZZ0WsD1.jpg

juu-yuki

1. Financial Problems

2. Lost of Interest

3. Time Constraints

4. Family Issues

5. New Hobbies

6. Dislike or Problem with the Community/ Company

7. Other Personal Problems

These are the only ones I could think of. =/

Nightmare Tea

I used to really love anime and such, but then I just... Lost interest.

There were very few actually good series I watched that I couldn't even call it a hobby anymore. It was just "Oh, let's watch this and see if it's any good". And it got boring fast.

I also used to love figures and such. But then I realised that it was just way too much money for a piece of plastic that doesn't even move... So I stopped. I didn't have that many, anyways.

I'm also not as into the doll hobby as I was a year ago...

Bellatrix
1. Financial Problems

2. Lost of Interest

3. Time Constraints

4. Family Issues

5. New Hobbies

This.

df64a03a777dc9f9a060ef6b286773b3-1.gif    ✩ 𝓥𝓲𝓬𝓽𝓲𝓶 𝓸𝓯 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓑𝓮𝓵𝓵𝓪𝓭𝓸𝔁 ✩

Nekopon
1. Financial Problems

2. Lost of Interest

3. Time Constraints

4. Family Issues

5. New Hobbies

Ooh, I'm in these categories: 1, 2, 5.

kyojie011
I used to really love anime and such, but then I just... Lost interest.

There were very few actually good series I watched that I couldn't even call it a hobby anymore. It was just "Oh, let's watch this and see if it's any good". And it got boring fast.

I also used to love figures and such. But then I realised that it was just way too much money for a piece of plastic that doesn't even move... So I stopped. I didn't have that many, anyways.

I'm also not as into the doll hobby as I was a year ago...

I feel you,, these are what i'm experiencing now,, i'm afraid i will eventually lose my interest..

milkytea

I've left hobbies before, and for me it's always a loss of interest. If I'm not interested, it's time for me to move on to something else.

Gunter
1. Financial Problems

2. Lost of Interest

3. Time Constraints

4. Family Issues

5. New Hobbies

Pretty much sums it all up. ^^;

In my case I just usually lose interest. I'm very fickle, and unless something clicks right off the bat I will get bored of it sooner or later.

If I have community issues, well, I just remove myself from the community. I've done that with the resin BJD one, but I'll happily continue collecting the dolls. ^^

DJStarstryker

I agree with the others in that juu-yuki's list sums it up.

I don't think I've ever left a hobby completely though. I mean, yeah, there's been times where I lose interest temporarily. For example, I've been into video games for most of my life. I lost interest during part of the PS2/original Xbox/Gamecube era. I played a little, but not to the extent I did in the past. But then a few years later I got into gaming pretty big again. I do this for all of my hobbies - I'll get less interested for a while, but then weeks or months or years later I'm interested again.

...actually, I just thought of one: Dungeons & Dragons. But I think that was a bad hobby choice to try to get into in the first place since I'm a non-social person and D&D is a social sort of game.

I just seem to add more hobbies to my hobby list as the years go on. I think that's kind of good in a way. It seems to prevent me from getting so totally bored of any one hobby that I want to quit it completely, as I have other stuff I can do as well. I know some people at work who seem to have only 1 hobby and when they get bored of it, they act devastated, like there's nothing else interesting for them to do in the world.

• Like 1

Are you ready to rock? ^_^

baldylox

I've been in lots of different hobbies over the years and whenever I thought about leaving one behind it's been for reasons on the list shown above.

My last hobby was vintage Star Wars toys and when I first got into it, it lit my nostalgia for the toys I owned as a child. So I went full bore into getting all the figures, then the ships and playsets. But after a few years, I ran out of things to collect. I had all the production toys Kenner made and needed to keep collecting *SOMETHING*. So I got into collecting pre-production stuff and prototypes. Talk about expensive... I paid $600 for a pice of cardboard. LOL It was a very rare proto cardback that wasn't in regular circulation at all but still. A ton of money.

But even after getting some really great stuff in that hobby, things got stale. And the people I was buddies with soon turned on me when I told them I was becoming bored. And when I told a few of them I wanted to sell off my expensive stuff to fund a trip to Japan, they ALL told me not to. What kind of friend does THAT? I understand if I was getting totally out of the hobby for dumb reasons but I had been bored for a year and not put any money into that hobby for the same time. So for them to tell me not to sell off to make myself happy, it made no sense to me.

I sold off anyways and had the time of my life in Japan. I've never once regretted selling that stuff either. And now that I'm into the DD's, I'm enjoying myself again and making new friends.

It's a cycle like anything else. You get interested in something, mess with it for a bit and then move on. Some people stay longer than others. Some people are gone in a flash. And others have been here for years and won't go anywhere anytime soon. So it's all up to the individual. A hobby is meant to be FUN. As soon as is ISN'T fun, it's time to move on. Or at least take a break for a few weeks/months and come back later to see if the spark is still there. If it is, great! If it's not, clear out and move on to the next thing that makes you happy.

Billy

• Like 5

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Alphakitty

For me it's a combination of money, time, and interest. I have a lot of different hobbies, too many to feasibly enjoy them all the time. For example, I'll go through a period where I buy a ton of video games all at once (usually around Black Friday or other sales) and then take quite a while to play through them. So perhaps I'm not actively involved in buying games for months at a time, but I'm still enjoying them! I'm like this with tea too (yes, tea is a hobby XD). I can't afford all the teas I'd like (or even reasonably drink them) so I buy in spurts and wait until I've de-cupboarded some of them before purchasing more.

Sometimes my interest in a hobby will wane for a bit. For months I wasn't really reading much but am now going through several books a week! Vinyl/resin toys I feel the same way about: I'll go a long time with a few purchases here and there, and then through some combination of factors (more designs I like, more money, etc) I'll end up with a ton of purchases in only a few weeks' span. I try to spread out my money & time as much as possible so I can enjoy everything I like--I don't think I've ever totally given up on a hobby, though interest waxes and wanes depending on mood & cirbleepstance.

DD Family: Mari, Saber Lily, Marisa, Soniko, Noumi, Kirino, Kuroneko, Sakura (DD Sakuno), Aerie, Akira, Kiki, Koko, Rose (DDS Mariko), Kureha, Ryoko, Lucy, Haruka, Rise, Extra & Alter!

Anna-neko

Sometimes its just knowing when you've outgrown a fandom. Also occasionally drama within the fandom community itself makes one tired of the whatever the center of the fandom was.

Don't watch as much anime anymore because for a while the market was flooded with moe and more moe and I got majorly bored. When fishing for a new series becomes a serious chore - thats when you're done

The collecting of figures/series merch waned with that

And then would sell off bits and piece of a collection to finance the new hobby. Bazillion SailorMoon things were sold to pay for cosplay, artbooks sold to pay for manga, some older cosplays sold to finance lolita fashion, a whole lotta 90s anime toys sold to pay for Dollfie stuff, and then manga & some lolita sold to pay for video games

It all cycles!

AntElitist

Sometimes things just get boring to you. Believe it or not, after quite sometime, things just somewhat lost it's appeal to you and you lost interest. This happened to me for computing because computers are just getting too advance in a shorter time. So I just stop but still keep a little bit of updating on it up to now.

DD is a sad case. I don't want to talk about it anymore. *I still somewhat lingers around here because of the photography section and sometimes I had "girls" visitor so I share some of them photos*

Photography wise is also kind of putting me off since I left DD. But then the feelings come back when I shoot other people girls, so I guess it's kinda a passive hobby. The interest is still there definitely, but on and off.

DJStarstryker

It's interesting to read these other posts to see other perspectives and how much people change hobbies.

I'm in my late 20's and I wasn't kidding when I said I don't really give up hobbies for good. When I was a kid, I had 4 hobbies pretty much: writing stories, reading, playing with/collecting action figures, and video games. I have given up none of those. The figures one has evolved a lot. When I was a kid I mostly played with and collected American superhero figures, the cheaper posable ones that you could buy at any toy store. I don't have any of those anymore. Now my figures are the higher end ($50-100 for one figure) Japanese PVC figures. These are mostly of anime characters, but I've got a few others too.

All of my newer hobbies branch off of those original 4. I like DDs because I like figures (I never liked dolls because as a kid I only got to see baby dolls and Barbies for the most part), I play guitar because of video games (thanks Guitar Hero, etc), I like Japanese stuff and computers because of video games, etc.

Am I really that unusual to still have all my hobbies from when I was a kid? Sometimes it seems that way. I have met very, very few people that still like things that they liked as a kid. Maybe I'm just weird. Maybe I don't really want to grow up. Maybe I find ways to still be interested in them. Who knows.

Are you ready to rock? ^_^

kyojie011

thnks guys for the comments,, keep it going,,, i'm really glad as well to see different perspectives from different people.. watching anime and collecting figures are definitely fading away on my list... one of my reasons is, some of them are just too erotic which at some point, i can't stand (pardon me if my statement hurts anybody,, it's up to individual obviously) but, well yeah because of some of the too extreme pictures, anime and scale figures make me lose interest in collecting or watching them,, but for DD, i think i'm going to stick with one for now,,, it's not that i can't afford it but sometimes i feel it's hard to take care 2 or more DDs.. again, it's up to individual..

-peace, no war, spread the love-

Pacino_83

Sometimes, due to money, I think of leaving the dollfie hobby but it's because of the money, I stay. If worked so hard to earn $XXX.XX to buy this dollfie, then I don't want to sell her or give her away to someone who can just easily buy her. My pride plays on everything...:S

Parting with my lovely ladies.

PlasticFantastic

I'm like DJStarstryker because my current hobby sprouts from my childhood hobbies.

I've always been a collector and loved fantasy. When I was a little girl I collected My Little Ponies and Littlest Pet Shop when they were out in the early 90's. I always took very good care of my toys and had them all out on display in my room. As I got a little older I added in Transformers (Beast Wars and Beast Machines) since I loved the show and loved the toys. Articulation was what I liked, and animals were always my favourite.

Once I was into late high school I started to collect statues of dogs and whales and dragons, as well as TY plushes (after the Beanie Baby craze). At the end of high school I moved so I did this huge purge of my toys, I still have all of my transformers but all of my MLP and LPS went to my younger cousins, which was fine with me since I'd outgrown them as toys by that point.

I did a lot of moving while I was in university (once every 4 months because of work terms) so I never really acbleepulated much, a few random blind boxes and pokemon figurines but nothing that would be fragile or difficult to move. It was after university that I started to collect Figma, Nendos, PVC figures, and eventually Dollfie Dream.

For me the reason to leave a hobby is that I've outgrown it. I don't feel that I've really outgrown any of my hobbies, but I do find that I go through phases where I have very intense interest and then it tapers off only to come back full force again later. One thing I've noticed is I'm not nearly as diligent about what PVC figures are being released as I used to be. I check it out maybe 2-3 times a week instead o 2-3 times a day, which is fine since I've slowed down my figure purchasing in favour of my DD's.

I think for most people losing interest is probably the main reason to leave a hobby. (or at least to leave it fully) Money or space are temporary setbacks, but if you're not into it sometimes that just doesn't come back no matter how much you try.

• Like 1

DDForum-Signature3.jpg

Please visit my YouTube channel for helpful DD tips, tutorials, and reviews!

knibitz

I have "oh shiny" syndrome XD

I've very impulsive with things, and I can get REALLY INTO something at the drop of a hat, and discard it just as fast.

I've been like that with DDs for 2 years.

One day I'm like OMG I LOVE DDs! I WILL BUY ONE! *save save save save*

and not a week later I'll be laughing at myself wondering why in the world I was wanting a DD to begin with.

And that's exactly where I am right now I just hit a high a few days ago (the day I joined XD) and now it's mellowing out.

And if you think it'd be annoying for people around me, you have no idea how annoying it is for me =_=

I've gotten into so many different hobbies, and honestly I am SHOCKED that I've stayed extreme hardcore obsessed with resin BJDs for almost 5 years!!!!

I'm really hoping that that's the way it will be with my DD, but I'm very nervous, I have to admit

battrastard

Oooh, shiny topic!!

Let's see, I first got into collectables about 20 years ago. I had an employer that held weekly Space Marine table top gaming at his house. I started with one squad, (10 figures, that I hand painted) then moved onwards to nearly 150 figures from the same "chapter" (e.g. Blood Angels, Space Wolves, Ultra Marines, etc.) I currently have close to 500 figures, from a few different chapters, including a few I've created....

The thing is, I don't "play" the game anymore, I just collect them for the satisfaction of painting them and completing a certain squad or unit... (Don't think I'll get rid of them anytime soon.)

Figure collecting.... I liked a lot of the figs I saw on DC and FFM. But............... I didn't want something that "just sat there". Figmas, Nendos and Busou Shinki were the way to go, as I saw it... (Ooooh! I can POSE THEM! Woot!) They sit on my shelves right now, waiting for me to do stuff with them. (rather reproachfully, too)

Now....... Dollfies....... go figure............

Will I "leave" the hobby?

Doubtful.. I might not pose or post things as often, but I have a hard time getting rid of things that bring/have brought me satisfaction or enjoyment......

A definite case of "Packrat" syndrome?

"Madness takes it's toll, Please have exact change!"

Till Troll

Sometimes, after a few weeks of intense work load, where I've come in the evenings and just watched tv shows with my husband, weekends spent recovering from the week in a stupor on my couch, watching the Grand Prix, and my craft room has been unentered for all that time, I worry that I'm losing interest in DDs.

But I think so many of our hobbies are influenced by what we were interested in as children. I was customising barbies and sewing them clothes when I was a little girl. As a teenager, I collected Star Wars dolls. Before I got into DDs I was rerooting and customising Barbie dolls to make anime characters (helloooo Aisha Clan Clan!), and then customising Volks dollfies and Obitsu dolls. So whenever I do worry that I am losing interest in DDs, I remind myself I've loved dolls for all these years, and am unlikely to change anytime soon.

So my answer is that I think there a some hobbies that come and go, but there are hobbies that stay with you, in one form or another, all your life. So maybe some of those that leave the doll/anime hobby are not so much leaving it but progressing to a different aspect of the underlying interests that got them into dolls/anime in the first place.

And I think how long we stay in one form of an interest can depend on how many opportunities that still exist to expand that interest. I have been doodling all my life, and still spend alot of money on art materials every year, because I keep thinking of ways I can improve my style, or something new to try. Same with dolls, there are still dyeing experiments, sewing projects, customisation and wig making ideas I want to try out. Depending on the reason you got into a hobby, maybe you start to move on once you've exhausted the potential (and therefore the excitement) that particular hobby once had.

• Like 1

kaylynh1

recently theres been some drama in the bjd hobby and the way ppl treat each other jsut because they dont share the same view on a subject is just dreadful! i love dolls but i hate the way people act, if i ever elft it would be because people cant treat anybody respectfully

• Like 3

At home: Carrie (kos-mos), Mia (miku),Bjd's: Creator (soom sard), riley (bobobie Apollo mod), Quinn (feeple 60 Chloe mod), Chloe (leekeworld tan mickhaila)

Eventually: rise kujikawa, saber extra, mariko, alisa

PlasticFantastic
recently theres been some drama in the bjd hobby and the way ppl treat each other jsut because they dont share the same view on a subject is just dreadful! i love dolls but i hate the way people act, if i ever elft it would be because people cant treat anybody respectfully

"Recently?" For longer than I've been in this hobby (BJD's in general) there's been drama ^^;

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

DDForum-Signature3.jpg

Please visit my YouTube channel for helpful DD tips, tutorials, and reviews!

kaylynh1

"Recently?" For longer than I've been in this hobby (BJD's in general) there's been drama ^^;

these ones are involving people i know who are on recast forums, and the shenanigans that ensue from people being turds

• Like 1

At home: Carrie (kos-mos), Mia (miku),Bjd's: Creator (soom sard), riley (bobobie Apollo mod), Quinn (feeple 60 Chloe mod), Chloe (leekeworld tan mickhaila)

Eventually: rise kujikawa, saber extra, mariko, alisa

DivinitaAria

Well, in regards to BJDs it was something new that I wanted to get into. I thought I'd never sell my first doll let alone my second doll that I spent months babysitting to save up for, but in the end I sold both. The hobby doesn't have the same feel as it used to. I have one Super Dollfie who was a dream doll though.

I had a brief Pullip phase that didn't last long. I don't care for Pullips very much so I sold my Dal. Was an impulse buy.

Dollfie Dreams are where it's at. Took forever to realize that though. I fully enjoy Dollfie Dreams, yet I only really desire 2 sculpts.

I've been into anime since kindergarten and have gone through phases in and out of it. For the last few years I've felt that nothing interested me. It was all the same, but recently I've been watching series and have gotten back into watching anime.

I think sewing/cosplaying and dolls are my biggest/main hobbies and both require a lot of money, so sometimes I wonder if it'd be best to leave one or the other, but in the end that's a silly thing to contemplate!

Okay, enough ranting. Basically I find that I leave hobbies due to the initial excitement wearing off, money, impulse, and overall losing interest.

• Like 1

Rise- DD Rise | Mariska? - DD01 |Momo/Momoko - DD MOMO | Nayuki - DD Mikuru | Shiori???? - DD Kos Mos

Wishlist:MDD Louise, DD Rise, MDD Maria