The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

kyojie011

what makes people leave doll/anime hobby??

littlebearries
recently theres been some drama in the bjd hobby and the way ppl treat each other jsut because they dont share the same view on a subject is just dreadful! i love dolls but i hate the way people act, if i ever elft it would be because people cant treat anybody respectfully

"Recently?" For longer than I've been in this hobby (BJD's in general) there's been drama ^^;

This is very true, LOL... although I do find that there tends to be different drama in the BJD resin world vs. the BJD DD world... like... recasts... not so much an issue here at the moment. XD

7782845246_e35680d49e_o.png

kaylynh1
recently theres been some drama in the bjd hobby and the way ppl treat each other jsut because they dont share the same view on a subject is just dreadful! i love dolls but i hate the way people act, if i ever elft it would be because people cant treat anybody respectfully

"Recently?" For longer than I've been in this hobby (BJD's in general) there's been drama ^^;

This is very true, LOL... although I do find that there tends to be different drama in the BJD resin world vs. the BJD DD world... like... recasts... not so much an issue here at the moment. XD

i know i like that, no one can say "hey youre dollfie dreams a recast -snob face-"

we all equally drain our wallets to get the same dolls

At home: Carrie (kos-mos), Mia (miku),Bjd's: Creator (soom sard), riley (bobobie Apollo mod), Quinn (feeple 60 Chloe mod), Chloe (leekeworld tan mickhaila)

Eventually: rise kujikawa, saber extra, mariko, alisa

Shaipnoy99
1. Financial Problems

2. Lost of Interest

3. Time Constraints

4. Family Issues

5. New Hobbies

6. Dislike or Problem with the Community/ Company

7. Other Personal Problems

These are the only ones I could think of. =/

Well said. I think the ones that hit home the most to me would be 2 & 3 but somehow I always manage to spring back into things.

RedLion

I figure this would be okay to post here, but hey guys! I think the last time I was here was back in 2013/14? well I'm back (kinda)! This is gonna be a lot to catch up on.

My reason about leaving the hobby? I just lost interest really, I felt after I got KOS-MOS, I didn't need to get anything else. But I do miss the community, plus I started to ask myself what was going on with the whole Danny Choo thing and the history with him and Volks. So I looked in here and though, "hey, I say hi to these guys!"

Hi =D

• Like 1

Gabriel
I think the last time I was here was back in 2013/14? well I'm back (kinda)!

Image doesn't show. When I visit your Flickr it says that you haven't set any images to public viewing.

sinclair

Just found this thread and had to comment. But Billy summed it up best:

A hobby is meant to be FUN. As soon as is ISN'T fun, it's time to move on. Or at least take a break for a few weeks/months and come back later to see if the spark is still there. If it is, great! If it's not, clear out and move on to the next thing that makes you happy.

I have done with with model railroading. I love trains, always have and always will. I've changed scales a couple time. I'm sure I'll stay with my current gauge, but it is sitting collecting dust right now. Building a layout takes tons of money, and time. I just don't have the money right now. And also it can be tedious work, which I'm not good at, so I'll do some work, then it sits for a year or more before I do some more. Right now I'm frustrated at how a new $800 locomotives doesn't even work right, so now I have to spend a lot of money I don't have to send it back (They are heavy, and heavy costs lots to ship.) to hopefully get fixed, if I can even get a reply from the manufacture.

A definite case of "Packrat" syndrome?

In photography it's called GAS, Gear Acquisition Syndrome. I have it bad as well, but have been trying my best to curb it. Sometimes I have no choice in the matter like currently I had no job.

Sometimes things just get boring to you. Believe it or not, after quite sometime, things just somewhat lost it's appeal to you and you lost interest. This happened to me for computing because computers are just getting too advance in a shorter time. So I just stop but still keep a little bit of updating on it up to now.

I was a mod on a computing forum years ago. Spent a lot of time on it, but after several change of hands in leadership and a general change in the computing world, I 'retired' and moved on.

• Like 1

jazijaz

Personal problems, change of heart, bullying (for the popular ones, I've seen it happen), feeling burned out. Etc.

I left it before for two years due to personal problems that unable me to enjoy the hobby like before. I tend to do the things I like when I'm happy and when I'm going through difficult times nothing makes me happy, not even my dolls so it's time to take a break and come back when I feel the same spark as before.

• Like 2

Riesz

I was out of the hobby for a few years because I moved twice and then had to plan a wedding and get married! Now that life has settled down again I'm back into it.

I do tend to come and go, however, because there usually aren't a ton of releases that catch my eye. For DD I've already caught up on most of the outfits I really like that were released over the past several years! I'll be keeping an eye out for new stuff but I'm also OK with just playing with my darlings that are older releases but new to me.

rukitron

Bad communities with close minded vocal people who chew out people for not following everyone.

• Like 3

Pickle
rukitron said:
Bad communities with close minded vocal people who chew out people for not following everyone.

I totally agree with this point. Communities can become so toxic that it can drive a lot of people away from the hobby because when they look at the hobby, all they can think of are those people.

I honestly just hate the word, "community".

---

As for me, what made me leave originally was heavily due to finances (and really not liking/approving how much everything cost in the hobby). Also, I felt guilty for not being able to spend as much on my dolls as I would've liked so I decided to leave so they could go to more loving homes instead of just sitting on my shelf for a year or so on end without getting anything.

juu-yuki said:
1. Financial Problems

2. Lost of Interest

3. Time Constraints

4. Family Issues

5. New Hobbies

6. Dislike or Problem with the Community/ Company

7. Other Personal Problems

These are the only ones I could think of. =/"

Like others have said, this list is pretty accurate. For me, it was mainly 1, 2, 6, and 7.

Edited by Pickle

Tasuke

there has been ebbs and flows, but i've never really left Anime/Manga behind even once

since being pretty much single-handedly thrown into OTAKUdom with MACROSS/ROBOTECH back around the mid-1990's.

my fandom did take a semi-back seat/cohabitate with my passion for vintage/semi-vintage AUDIO/VIDEO and HI-FI equipment throughout most of the 21st century.

however, ever since putting finishing touches on my dream PIONEER-branded A/V~Hi-Fi system several years back, i've been free to concentrate pretty much entirely upon my OTAKU interests.

heck, it's actually been a truly great X-Mas/B-Day for me, both as a Character Doll collector and MACROSS-centric Anime fan;

TAKARA Sakura Wars "Sakura Shinguji"

Takara%20Sakura%20Wars%20-%20Special%20Doll%20Collection%20Sakura%20Shinguji%203.png

Takara%20Sakura%20Shinguji%20%202-1-19.jpg

BANDAI DX "SUPER ALLOY" 1/48 scale MACROSS VF-1J "Valkyrie" VARIABLE FIGHTER;

VF-1J%20DX%20NIKON%20D5000%20CROPPED.jpg

VF-1J%20DX%201-48%20JOHN%201-16-18%2022.jpg

Selections, from SENTAI FILMWORKS' Black Friday Anime fire sale;

Sentai%20Anime%20selection%2012-26-18.jpg

• Like 1

2020164095_ANightatKonomi12-18-23550px.Horizont..png.35eaba54e8b03fbe6a7f7cd252209e94.png

Meggiekarp

I left the anime hobby because of the amount of harem and ecchi anime. I understand they're easy, and cheap to make and will earn lots of money but I'm so sick of it. What's so great about bland protagonists and the same 5 stereotypes every season? S*xual harassment isn't funny because the genders are swapped. Girls, women and the occasional guy aren't figures for people to collect. There have been shows that would have been so good if they weren't harems - interesting worlds and concepts but instead it's all about this one special dude surrounded by chicks that adore him.

It honestly seems like that's all there is, other than little kid shows like PreCure, Pokemon, and the Pretty Series (PriChan & fam). I haven't found anything new in years that I like. It seems like everything is now aimed at (presumably lonely) men.

• Like 1

42bdad38462f9e0e55136363ad50c3e2540275d465b58e2ee287546278681177fbfb1c7dcde945f5da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd8070948bdbe670fb79df22c7754c819f8b53f.png

Monty

I have to disagree with you there Meggiekarp - I also am not interested in that sort of anime at all, but I still find a handful of shows to follow every anime season (so every 3 months) without any trouble. To be fair, it’s ‘easier’ for me because me and two friends run an anime review blog and so we tend to watch most of the new shows every season (at least just the first episode of), and discard the crap - but for someone who doesn’t even want to watch first episodes of crap shows, maybe it’s more difficult.

Anyway, in this currently airing season alone there are some good shows that don’t have anything to do with harems or fan service: I’m currently watching The Promised Neverland, Mob Psycho 100 season 2, My Room mate is a Cat and Dororo. None of those I would call ‘children’s’ anime (TPN might be a bit scary for kids, although it is based on a shonen jump manga - and My Roommate is a Cat, while definitely suitable for kids, is something that can be enjoyed by all ages...so long as you like cats, anyway)

If you would like any other recommendations of already finished shows I can give them to you. I always have been and still am a huge anime fan so as someone who also hates the same kind of shows you do it makes me sad that you’ve given up.

Hollytastic

To be honest I've considered greatly leaving the resin side of things.

I seem to enjoy my DD more... and I would like to expand my collection.

Selling off some resin would allow that.

But I'm also afraid of regretting it.

I know that's not leaving the doll hobby, but it would be leaving a part I've been involved with for a long time.

I think when I stop having joy for my resin dolls... maybe it is time.

But some would be very hard to find if I sold them off.

It's hard to take that step I think.

cfx

Anime is something that gives me an escape from depression and isolation for at least a little while. But I don't visit forums or discuss it much with anyone because too many people are judgmental about it as seen in comments above.

• Like 1

RainbowNanaki
I have to disagree with you there Meggiekarp - I also am not interested in that sort of anime at all, but I still find a handful of shows to follow every anime season (so every 3 months) without any trouble. To be fair, it’s ‘easier’ for me because me and two friends run an anime review blog and so we tend to watch most of the new shows every season (at least just the first episode of), and discard the crap - but for someone who doesn’t even want to watch first episodes of crap shows, maybe it’s more difficult.

Anyway, in this currently airing season alone there are some good shows that don’t have anything to do with harems or fan service: I’m currently watching The Promised Neverland, Mob Psycho 100 season 2, My Room mate is a Cat and Dororo. None of those I would call ‘children’s’ anime (TPN might be a bit scary for kids, although it is based on a shonen jump manga - and My Roommate is a Cat, while definitely suitable for kids, is something that can be enjoyed by all ages...so long as you like cats, anyway)

If you would like any other recommendations of already finished shows I can give them to you. I always have been and still am a huge anime fan so as someone who also hates the same kind of shows you do it makes me sad that you’ve given up.

Oh gosh, I'm a part of a Discord server that streams the season previews on Monday nights, and then just other anime-related things once those are finished. It's an absolute blast to just hang out with a bunch of people who are also tired of horny anime and just have a good time. Although, I will say my favourite "event night" was when Ryan streamed Dracula: Sovereign of the Damned for Halloween. That movie is really fun to watch with friends

He/Him --- I like making stuff --- Please don't make sexual/lewd comments about my dolls, thank you!

At Home: Tyler (Akira 2nd), Adrienne (Smart Doll Mirai Cortex), Bryan (Smart Doll Eiji, cinnamon ver.)

Waiting For: Nothing atm

Wishlist: Smart Doll Crimson Kai in tea skin

Catski

I left the BJD hobby because I got burnt out. I also wasn't doing it for myself. I sew, but it was never for me. Always for others. It was my fault,  I tried to make it a job. Now I'm kinda back, enjoying it as a hobby for myself. :) sometimes people need to step back and that's okay. It's always something you can come back to. I think that this is a great question to ask. I got a lot of sadness in response when I left and it was really hard to deal with. Sometimes it's hard for others to understand what someone needs or feels. It's good to ask questions. :)

• Like 1

Yami Usagi

I slowly left dolls & figure collecting after getting into cosplay. I’m a student so my part time jobs only allow enough cash for one stupidly expensive hobby & I tend to work in waves of obsession anyway 🙃. I miss my older hobbies though & am trying to pay attention to them again. I’m not giving up cosplay, so it’ll be hard to collect figures like before AND cosplay. But for dolls, I think you can enjoy the hobby a little easier without needing to spend money, so I want to do that!

lildollface

While I never really "left" the bjd/doll or anime/manga communities per say, I did become extremely inactive after a while for a multitude of reasons- almost all of which mentioned in this thread already.

I discovered both anime and dolls in middle school. While I was most active at the height of my high school days, by the time senior year started I just didn't have the time nor energy for any of it. It didn't help that because I started at a young age, I constantly felt discouraged due to a lack of money. Not to mention, as I got older, I slowly started to see a lot of the more toxic and problematic parts of both communities. While I could always just scroll away from it all online, once that stuff started seeping into real life local communities, I just couldn't deal with it anymore. 

I'm technically back in both communities, but I'm still not exactly "active." Both my studies and my occupation have left me more critical of the things I like and it's actually kinda hard to just turn my brain off and enjoy- but once I finally do find that right anime or that right sculpt, it's like getting into the hobby all over again 😍

moerunamida

I am still in the doll hobby, but I have left two hobbies/communities each for the following:

-Pullips-

This is what got me into dolls as an adult. Saw one that I immediately felt a connection with, but didn't get her for awhile because I thought $150 was crazy expensive for a doll (yeah, lol here). Eventually got her, was smitten, and quickly acquired 8 dolls within a year. That might not seem like a lot, but it was too much for me. Realized that I had gotten most of the dolls because I thought they were merely pretty and not because of a special reason. They sat on my small self, packed tightly together like sardines, and collected dust. Thinned out the collection and then at the end of 2017, I came across someone who had Ebony (Smart Doll). Was INSTANTLY in love, but again--the price. Meep, nope! Months later, March 2018, I keep thinking about that Smart Doll. I eventually sold all my Pullips but the first I ever got and invested the money into my first Smart Doll, anniversary Mirai. It didn't take me long to realize that I enjoyed having a doll that I could interact with so much better than the Pullips. I eventually sold my last Pullip, and have two Smart Dolls. To summarize, I just fell out of interest but also due to the quality difference. Pullips are poorly made compared to Smart Dolls (can't comment on DD because I don't own one).

Not doll related but anime maybe?

-Tamagotchis-

I was into these things when they first came out in the US in 96'. Any virtual pet, you name it I probably had it at one point. Collected these slowly over the years and went nuts when I found out they were still being made in Japan and in color. After spending an insane amount of money on virtual pets, I noticed that while I enjoyed playing them, most of them sat in their boxes in a box in my closet. I'd play one or two a few times a year if that. Bandai was basically just releasing the same model of tamagotchi only in different colors. Promises to bring color tamas over to the US and Europe were wildly rumored but never happened. When the chibis (minis) came out in the US a few years ago, it started a whole new interest in them. This was all well and good, but the Tamagotchi community on Facebook changed drastically. Our adult community was flooded with young teens pretending to be adults and was soon overrun. There were also quite a few toxic people that really made it not a nice place to be. Made the choice a couple years ago to sell my entire collection and left the hobby. I still miss tamagotchis, but it felt like too much of a mental game in the community (if that makes sense).

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

jLazy

I had been collecting anime figures and resin garage kits since 2009 but decided to leave the hobby after my first trip to Japan earlier this year in march. Could not resist the allure of Dollfies after seeing them in person. In the process of selling my figure collection to fund my DD hobby. I was beginning to run out of room since I kept most of my figures unopened in their original boxes. I was not able to fully enjoy them since I kept them in boxes because I was afraid they would loose their value. With Dollfies I think I will be happy once I acquire one of each body type. The endless clothing options will keep me interested in the hobby and would take up less space than my figurine collection. 

I stopped watching anime after college due to time constraints. 

Tango_Six

I've been collecting anime figures since about 2010 (first ever figure was a Kotobukiya Bishoujo) - but recently i've lost interest. The prices of figures constantly going up - it's getting to the point of 20k yen (or more) for 1/8 scale figures now! The endless delays *cough* Goodsmile *cough*... I still have a few on pre-order but decided no more. I love the figures I have - but the past few months i've been trying to decide between a Smartdoll or a DD. Then I happened across a particular instagram user's (dizco_san if anyone's interested in taking a look) photos of their DD while browsing photos of Dollfies & Smartdolls and I decided right there & then to get a DD over a Smartdoll.

I went to Mandarake website, bought a DD3 body, head & wig & after they arrived, ordered some parts from Volks (eyes mainly) and an outfit. Once I put her together - well, I just can't look at figures with their prices the same anymore. To me my DD is a giant, much, much better quality & almost endlessly customizable figma!

1 hour ago, jLazy said:

The endless clothing options will keep me interested in the hobby and would take up less space than my figurine collection. 

Also, space with figures & their boxes (I keep them - even though I have a display case) was becoming a concern. So I can relate to & agree with what jLazy said.

cfx

I'm actually finding that having space for doll accessories, clothing, wigs, spare parts, etc. to be much more of a storage problem than figures for me.

Singer Yuna
6 hours ago, Tango_Six said:

The prices of figures constantly going up - it's getting to the point of 20k yen (or more) for 1/8 scale figures now!

I totally agree with you! Then mytheos arrives and keep their price under the 20k for elaborate sculptures. I became inactive in the figure collecting before nendoroid 1000 appeared (oh surprise a Miku) because they’re also high priced and with fewer accesories and faceplates each time. Then I tried the nendodoll line but I find their cloth outfits really overpriced too. They went somekind greedy...

So, now I still have nendopreorders but lots less than earlier, but I managed to restrain the scaled figures I wanted most, 1) because no space already 2) because not finding them quality- price accurate...

all in exchange for augmenting my DD wig collection xD and saving for more dolls xDD

image.png.cbc1e19648277386a02b21f041664ca5.png

hellomystar

I first learned about BJD from the anime Rozen Maiden. I fell in love with Volks Suiseiseki. This was when I was in middle school, 2010ish. In highschool, I saved up half the cost and got the other half covered for my first BJD, a resin doll from Illusion Spirit in 2011. I was super into the resin side until 2014 when I got burnt out and just put them away. I had always dreamed of owning a DD as well, the first one I saw was Yoko Littner, probably around the time I saw Suiseiseki. I finally got my first DD in 2015 (Standard Mirai), and I loved how much more personable and portable she was than a resin doll! I decided to try and get back into the hobby and wiped all my resin dolls (four) to start over, aaaaand it's 2019 and they still havent gotten new faceups. I love the hobby, but I get overwhelmed with school (then) and jobs (now), and lost track of time for myself and my hobbies. I will say that I find DD a lot more easy to stay active in. They always feel so inviting. I also love my 1/6 azone dolls, they fit in my purse to take out for pictures! I've stayed active with my dolls but not in the community for the most part. I felt like my pictured were never good enough or their clothes werent good enough and fell out. I forgot that the reason I took pictured and got these dolls was for myself.

I considered selling my resin dolls to fund more DD, but I'm very attached to my resin dolls still. Hopefully I can get more into the hobby while I'm off work for a bit. To summarize, I started dreaming of DD when I was in middle school and slowly worked to achieve a dream I never thought was possible. I'll always love my dolls even if all I do is look at them on a shelf, hold them while I work at home, or just take a couple pictures now and then. I do have a tendency to fall out of a hobby, but I've always stuck with BJDs!

• Like 1