Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

baldylox

DD3 body comparisons and Yukino V1 vs V2

baldylox

Well, since I finally got a DD3 in hand with Saber, I figured I'd do the rest of the body comparisons! But, oddly enuff, I actually have *another* DD3 here visiting me! I have a Yukino V2 here for a bit before she gets sent off to her mom and I was allowed to have her help me with these comparisons.

First up, let's do the Yukino Version 1 versus the Version 2 pics. Here is my visitor, Sophie to show us what she looks like!

7564942176_bb8a9c8b5b_z.jpg

DSC_6736 by balldylox, on Flickr

And here is my Yukino V1:

7564937478_2bf1687af6_z.jpg

DSC_6737 by balldylox, on Flickr

A couple of side shots with different angles and focus points....

7564932044_39c5b49522_z.jpg

DSC_6738 by balldylox, on Flickr

7564951688_7f13b5463a_z.jpg

DSC_6739 by balldylox, on Flickr

Mouth and eye details on Sophie.

7564947114_0c36861a71_z.jpg

DSC_6740 by balldylox, on Flickr

Yukino:

7564961822_27aac6dcb2_z.jpg

DSC_6741 by balldylox, on Flickr

Sophie:

7564956640_d5405e3148_z.jpg

DSC_6742 by balldylox, on Flickr

And a side by side with no wigs:

7564873428_09dfe2368d_z.jpg

DSC_6760 by balldylox, on Flickr

So you can easily see how they changed the faceups from V1 to V2. Both of them are very pretty and I like them both.... but since I'm so used to my Yukino, I still think I prefer her look better.

Now, onto the DD3 body comparisons. We'll be using my Yukino DDII L-bust and the DD3 M-bust to see differences. Of course, my Yukino has the bigger bust so it's easy to tell the body types apart. But we have lots of other things too. First up are some full body shots.

7564967222_90e4065508_z.jpg

DSC_6746 by balldylox, on Flickr

Whoever said the DD3 is way taller than the DDII was on crack. These two girls are almost the exact same height. I made sure to have the top torsos seated all the way down so no "cheating" can make one look taller than the other.

Here's a closeup of the busts and shoulders/arms.

7564971792_172c1d73b0_z.jpg

DSC_6747 by balldylox, on Flickr

And here is the big difference in elbows... the DD3 is double jointed and can bend WAY more than the DDII can normally.

7564976866_d4237e7ede_z.jpg

DSC_6748 by balldylox, on Flickr

BUT, if you engage the "secret" elbow joint on the DDII, you can easily get the same range of motion. It just isn't as pretty.

7564981252_0e951d832e_z.jpg

DSC_6749 by balldylox, on Flickr

BOOTY!!!!

To me, the DD3, on the right, looks to have thicker thighs up top than the DDII does. But I'm not sure... Also, the DD3 has smaller slits for the knee action than the DDII does, making it cleaner and less chunky.

7564990314_8f603a76fd_z.jpg

DSC_6750 by balldylox, on Flickr

Here's a close up of the knee areas. DDII on left, DD3 on right.

7564985716_8494b95af3_z.jpg

DSC_6751 by balldylox, on Flickr

Now for some really big differences between these two. The lower torsos are VERY different in how they look now. On the left is the older DDII and then the right is the DD3. The newer version has these "flaps" that go up way higher than the older version.

7565003338_121a76235f_z.jpg

DSC_6752 by balldylox, on Flickr

Down inside is similar tho....

7564999450_a9950954f1_z.jpg

DSC_6753 by balldylox, on Flickr

Here is a major source of issues with the newer bodies.... the upper torso frame. As you will see in these pics, the older one is MUCH more beefy and strong than the newer ones are. On the left is the DDII ( which is the same as a DDdy too ) and the right is a DD3.

7564995708_4db8b016bd_z.jpg

DSC_6754 by balldylox, on Flickr

Looking at them from the sides lets you see how big the shoulder holes are. See how thin the ones on the DD3 are? And these are the beefed up ones too! The older DDS and DD3 ones were thinner than this. You can also see how the neck peg that goes into the heads is bent on the DD3 while the older one is straight. This gives the girls heads a better range of motion so you don't need to do the neck cut mod or a Cool Cats neck insert piece to have better posing.

7564855208_913e0acf10_z.jpg

DSC_6755 by balldylox, on Flickr

Another shot of the arm peg holes. I really wish they hadn't skimped so much on these for the new versions. It's no wonder the older ones never cracked... look at them!

7564850460_b77d6ac1d0_z.jpg

DSC_6756 by balldylox, on Flickr

Speaking of arm pegs, here's another difference. The large one in the center is the older version that all DDII and DDdy girls used. See how much shorter the new ones are? Same thickness, just much shorter. And these are NOT The newer styled ones with grooves in them, these are the first versions that are solid.

7564864176_45946b0ca1_z.jpg

DSC_6757 by balldylox, on Flickr

In order to help with them not being slotted, I used this 600 grit sandpaper to sand them down and release some of the friction caused by the pegs. Don't go all out the first time doing this. Take your time and sand a little bit off at a time, then test fit it. I had to do this 7 times to get the fit right. It's still tight but it's not SUPER tight like it was.

7564882922_39d284fbd2_z.jpg

DSC_6759 by balldylox, on Flickr

Here's the torso's showing the arm holes. For a better and more sleek appearance, the newer torso ( on the right ) has smaller arm holes. With the new shoulder look that covers the shoulder joints, this makes the doll look smoother overall. But this also means that older busts will have gaps around the arms and shoulders if you use them on a DDS or DD3 arm setup.

7564859534_c203c86aaf_z.jpg

DSC_6758 by balldylox, on Flickr

The legs on the DD3 come off way more easily than they used to. Just pull while twisting and they come off.

7564868946_15e0655217_z.jpg

DSC_6761 by balldylox, on Flickr

Unfortunately, this one has cracked already. You can see it on the lower left of the tube in the leg.

7564878062_aca0cb18c7_z.jpg

DSC_6762 by balldylox, on Flickr

Alright, now onto the comparisons with other body types. First up we have Mamimi on the DDS. And as you may already know, the DDS is MUCH shorter than the DD3 is. This is mainly due to the shorter upper thighs on the DDS. The shin pieces are about the same in length tho.

7564893790_8fb1f70aa3_z.jpg

DSC_6763 by balldylox, on Flickr

A close up of the two. You can see how much slimmer the DDS is compared to the DD3.

7564887560_b43956b90b_z.jpg

DSC_6764 by balldylox, on Flickr

And some shots from the side showing the differences in shapes of the lower torsos near the butt and the waist areas.

7481878884_3b596ae3fd_z.jpg

DSC_6765 by balldylox, on Flickr

7564898548_20ab78bfde_z.jpg

DSC_6766 by balldylox, on Flickr

And now for the big guns! Ryomou will be our DDdy model today. As you can see, she's taller than the DDS but a little shorter than the DD3.

7564908794_85774668ed_z.jpg

DSC_6767 by balldylox, on Flickr

Here you can easily see how much "thicker" and curvier the thighs, waist, butt and of course boobs are on the DDdy.

7564918126_461170696d_z.jpg

DSC_6768 by balldylox, on Flickr

Close up of the DDdy and DD3. Big differences here.

7564922392_53be8760ee_z.jpg

DSC_6769 by balldylox, on Flickr

Not only can you see the differences in the shapes and curves of the DDdy, you can also see how high up the bust piece is cut compared to all other body types. But you can also see how the butt on the DDdy is more shapely and round as well as how much thicker her thighs are.

7564913524_147ef682f9_z.jpg

DSC_6770 by balldylox, on Flickr

MOAR BOOTY! Hee hee...

And lastly, we can see more size and shape differences between these two.

7564927116_1f1491cf49_z.jpg

DSC_6771 by balldylox, on Flickr

I hope this helps people understand the body shapes and sizes more easily. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Billy

• Like 1

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

SakuraSylph

How crazy (or not) do DDS and DD3 look if you swap their leg parts with each other?

SakuraSylph

AnimatorAR

My Airy is a DDII and my other girl (still have not named her) is a DDIII. Mine DDIII is taller than my Airy DDII. Am I doing something wrong? I tried carefully pushing my DDIII torsos down to see if that helps but can't get it to go down any lower.

As you can see in this photo.

19e9bd89b84fbd85f4a69e2255fb3355.jpg?1341621722

Airy DDII on left is shorter than DDIII on right.

mitsuki

Those two Yukinos are so cute!!!

I tried measuring a few DDII and DDIII bodies and got a bit of variation. Most of the time there was a tiny difference in height (1.5 cm maybe), but some DDII bodies were a little taller and others. My oldest DDII bodies seem to be shorter than the newer ones. I guess there is some variation in them, but that can also be from the central joint in the spine. The only way to really compress that down is to take off the bust and the intermediate cover part so you can reach the spine and twist the two pieces so that they are flush against each other. I have one body that was taller than the others. Even if I tried to push the bust/torso down and then straightened out the body, she stayed taller. But after taking her apart and twisting down the spine, she is more normal height now.

bethykins

Squeeeeeee!! Hello Sophie *waves* what a cute new face up up have!!

I have a gorgeous family of DD girls

See my profile for a list of my beauties!!

baldylox
How crazy (or not) do DDS and DD3 look if you swap their leg parts with each other?

Ha ha! That would be funny... the DDS would be pretty tall and skinny.

My Airy is a DDII and my other girl (still have not named her) is a DDIII. Mine DDIII is taller than my Airy DDII. Am I doing something wrong? I tried carefully pushing my DDIII torsos down to see if that helps but can't get it to go down any lower.

Don't worry, you aren't doing anything wrong. I think it's like Mitsuki said, some of these vary in height depending on their manufacturing. It just looks like the DDII and DD3 I have here are very similar in height. I would actually like the DD3 to be a little taller so I can have different height girls. So you're lucky in that respect with your two cuties!

Those two Yukinos are so cute!!!

I tried measuring a few DDII and DDIII bodies and got a bit of variation. Most of the time there was a tiny difference in height (1.5 cm maybe), but some DDII bodies were a little taller and others. My oldest DDII bodies seem to be shorter than the newer ones. I guess there is some variation in them, but that can also be from the central joint in the spine. The only way to really compress that down is to take off the bust and the intermediate cover part so you can reach the spine and twist the two pieces so that they are flush against each other. I have one body that was taller than the others. Even if I tried to push the bust/torso down and then straightened out the body, she stayed taller. But after taking her apart and twisting down the spine, she is more normal height now.

Yeah I think you're right on all that Mitsuki. I got my Saber Extra and stood her next to Sophie and she's a little taller. So there are varying heights even on similar bodies. Kinda odd but that's cool too.

Squeeeeeee!! Hello Sophie *waves* what a cute new face up you have!!

Sophie - "Hello Mommy! I'm glad you saw me in the pictures! I'm having a fun time over here in the US. We have lots of girls here and 2 kitties to play with! They even made me an honorary member of the Maid Brigade! You'll see pictures of me soon! Bye for now!" HUGS

Thanks for these comparisons! Really awesome!

You're welcome! Glad to help.

Billy

zakka

Hmmm... interesting pictures! Do you think it is possible to swap DDII/DDIII Arms and bust? Like with modification could I rig some III arms on my II? Or switch out bust pieces with DDIII?

Anna-neko

has anyone had a weird "this leg is too soft" issue on DD3 yet?

its like.. the vinyl behind the knee is too soft (comparing to her other leg) so when you bend the knee, the whole thing just starts gettin really weird ... like it lets the joint inside twist far too the side or something, so the knee-bending gets awkward

baldylox
Hmmm... interesting pictures! Do you think it is possible to swap DDII/DDIII Arms and bust? Like with modification could I rig some III arms on my II? Or switch out bust pieces with DDIII?

The busts are pretty much the same except for the arm hole sizes. So if you use the smaller DD3 arms on a DDII bust, you'll have gaps at the shoulders. But that may not be a big deal to you. As for DD3 arms on a DDII body, I think I saw someone do that before but can't recall who. Maybe it was Maarit? I haven't tried that tho.

Billy

Waynio

Great post!! It's nice to see the body differences. I'm still unsure of upgrading Aoi to a DD3 Body, cosidering all te cracking problems they've had. Plus I'm not sure if you can buy an L bust as an opyion part when the DD3 bodies become avaliable.

Wayne

blackmercury

Thank you very much. very useful and necessary review.

At home: Natali [1/3 BJD from Doll-Love] Aya [DD Natsuki 2nd ver.] Ami [DD Moe ver.1] Miho [DDH-06 pre-painted + DDS body], Haruka [DDH-07 pre-painted + DD2 body]

Sorry for my bad english ^_^

Ravendruid

Thank you for once again helping see how the different girls stack up against each-other. These posts are great for helping make informed decisions regarding what bodies to buy (if the bodies ever become available to buy... (come on Volks, with all the money you're making off of this massive pre-order you can surely afford an extra couple machines and employees to help keep up!)).

It's also interesting to see the changes in the arm holes with the newer DDIII.

Daddy of: Yuriko, Sohi, Miku and SK's many kids

12437295384_b307eb5ce8.jpg

baldylox

Thanks very much everyone! I'm really happy to see that these posts are helping people out as that's what they were intended for. I appreciate the compliments!

Billy

JChiibs

You killed me with the first picture... When Rave and I were trying to choose what DD to start out with I was a hair away from getting the Yukino v.2 until I saw the reference pic for Tamayuki (now that I look at it, the head is Yukino v.1 ) although I knew the faceup was wrong for him. Looking at Yukino again I was reminded of how much I just adore her face. If I had my own though, I'd really want to have her on a DDS body. I currently have Rainie's DDS head on Tamayuki's MDD body and the whole "bobble head" affect just totally cracks me up because it is so adorable, especially with Rainie. I do wonder though if I could stand that much cuteness from Yukino... the 03 head is my favorite Volks head by a long shot.

I always appreciate your very through photo reviews about the variations in the different DD. It makes it much less stressful figuring out what bodies and body combinations are best suited for the girls I want to make when we can finally get bodies again.

~Sister Kyoya

12926590414_996a8b87ea_o.png

Forum Blog: Badger Pocket Tales (Family story from the beginning) | { Old Family story reboot: Start Here! }

Follow me on Twitter, Flickr & Instagram

baldylox

I'm reviving this thread just in case some of the newer folks here hadn't seen it yet. It was a few pages back and getting lost in the shuffle.

I may do another one of these threads soon since I now have the MDD girls. I know I had people asking to see an MDD body alongside a DDS before so I may do this if there is any interest. And since I have 2 styles of busts for the MDD girls, I can show those as well.

Billy

Ravendruid

I know for me, I've seen MDDs alongside the standard DDs and the DDSs, however I WOULD be very interested in seeing the comparison of the bust sizes on them, as well as how they compare to the DDDys.

Daddy of: Yuriko, Sohi, Miku and SK's many kids

12437295384_b307eb5ce8.jpg

baldylox

And I'm bumping this one up again since someone in another thread asked about a size review for a DD3 and DDdy bodies. Hopefully this will help them out a bit.

Billy

Meghan-chan

Thanks again!!

At home:

Miniko ~ DDdy Miko

Mayuki ~ DDS Mayu

Mizuki ~ SQ Lab/MDD hybrid

Waiting on: None

LOOKING FOR:​ MDD Ratwuni/Latune (Purple hair and dress)

nogo171

Just wondering whether it is possible/easy to mod the arm holes on the DD3 bust wider so it can go well with the DD2 body. I'm still sticking with DD2 bodies and want to change the bust for one of my girl, but the DD2 bust seems to be out of stocks for many moons

At home Haruka (Haruka Niimi), Akira (Akira), Saber (Saber Alter), Madoka (Madoka SQ-Lab), Rise (Rise Kujikawa), Yukiho (Yukiho Hagiwara) & Touka (DDH-07)

baldylox
Just wondering whether it is possible/easy to mod the arm holes on the DD3 bust wider so it can go well with the DD2 body. I'm still sticking with DD2 bodies and want to change the bust for one of my girl, but the DD2 bust seems to be out of stocks for many moons

I don't see why you can't mod the arm holes using a hobby knife, razor or even some small curved scissors. The DD3 busts are exactly the same as the DDII ones except for the arm hole openings. They're a pretty soft vinyl so cutting/trimming should be pretty easy to do.

Billy

JChiibs
They're a pretty soft vinyl so cutting/trimming should be pretty easy to do.

Do go at it carefully and slowly. I've opened the eyes on two DD heads, modded a few DD other heads and started by cutting off the lips with an exacto knife. If you aren't careful the vinyl can grab onto the blade and start dragging it where you may not want it to go. The busts may not be as difficult in this area depending on the vinyl thickness, but just don't rush through it and you should be fine. I'd also recommend sanding the cut edge with up to 400 grit sandpaper when you are done. I'm just a stickler for things like this because it affects the final look, but it's entirely up to you of you want to do it.

~Sister Kyoya

12926590414_996a8b87ea_o.png

Forum Blog: Badger Pocket Tales (Family story from the beginning) | { Old Family story reboot: Start Here! }

Follow me on Twitter, Flickr & Instagram

chinti

is it better to get DD2 body due to DD3 cracking issue?

baldylox
is it better to get DD2 body due to DD3 cracking issue?

Most, if not all, of the issues with cracking on the new DD3 bodies have been dealt with by Volks. But Cool Cats offers reinforcement parts for these bodies to add to the strength of the places that are prone to cracks. So the choice is really up to you on this.

The DDII is more sturdy overall in my opinion but the DD3 has better posing abilities and a slimmer look. DDII bodies are generally less expensive than the DD3's are on the aftermarket so if price is a concern, I'd go for a DDII.

I've got 11 DD girls now and only one of them is a DD3. One other is a DDS but she's the first version that came out and both her arm sockets cracked. I was able to repair those tho so she's doing fine now.

Billy