Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

eroge-maid

why do YOU like DD?

starobots
I like DDs for a lot of reasons. They're sturdy in their poses and not as fragile as my resin dolls, so they don't require as much protection during travel and I don't have to be so paranoid about them falling while I back away for a photo. They're also nicely big (I like big dolls) and yet not heavy at all. Easy to take to places and pop in and out of a carry case. Not that I have much experience with this yet, but I can see this being so much easier than with my other dolls. Their optional parts are also much cheaper than what I'm used to: a definite plus!

They're also adorable and a completely different aesthetic from my resin dolls -even the less realistic ones. I like to own different things.

I agree with all of this! Their sturdiness and lesser fragility are definite bonuses when I compare them to my BJDs.

In addition to that, I also have to admit that their faces grew on me really hard out of no where and I fell pretty hard. It helps that I got to handle/photograph one to see what they're like. They feel so much more stable in my hands!

Senketsu

I love their size! They're gigantic! And their ability to self heal when something groovy is pressed against them for quite some time. And those animatic eyes! They look at you forever \(O~O)/! And those legs! They also go on foreverrr! And their amazing articulation for fancy awesome poses?! My heart cannot take much more of this! Did I mention they're gigantic?!

Angardia

because of the anime style

why DD over SD:

DD dolls are mainly anime characters

SD look more mature and mostly arent some character , also the males faces scare me xD

and one day ill be proud owner of the Original saber and Rin

i wont mind if its only the heads

Lore
SD look more mature and mostly arent some character , also the males faces scare me xD

I couldn't agree more! Why do they always have to look murderous or depressed?! I love the serious-face don't get me wrong, but when they look like they're about to slit their own wrists freaks me out. No offense to people who love that vamp/goth look because I can appreciate the artistry of the faceups, but when that's the only kind of look available for most large BJD males (especially the androgynous aspect is she isn't he? ) it gets a bit boring after awhile. Why VOLKS hasn't beaten Danny Choo's lead on creating male DD characters I'll never know. I'd LOVE to get my Shiori (DD Mirai) a boyfriend to cuddle.

I actually didn't know these dolls existed until several months ago when my husband and I agreed to travel to Japan next year with our daughter. I wanted a souvenier for her that wasn't mass produced like tourist shot glasses. So when I googled Japanese dolls, Danny Choo's YouTube video of creating a robotic SmartDoll definitely caught my eye and stirred up fond memories of when I was a child watching my first anime Sailor Moon back in the early 90's. Yes I'm that old where I remember recording it on the VCR before my parents woke up. Anyhoo, one thing lead to another and I went into full research mode and found exactly what I was searching for my daughter. *cue choir music and shafts of light from the heavens* DOLLFIE DREAMS!!! It was like I was staring at my childhood fantasy come to life and knew I had to buy it. I didn't even wait for my trip to Japan either!

Like others who stated previously, the customization and aesthetics are what really sold me and it's a wonderful hobby I could share with my little girl. The prices are certainly not to be scoffed at and I'm feeling the hurt in my wallet, but I'm not sorry. If anything, I plan on spending even more money buying another doll/accessories when I actually get into Japan. Oh my poor poor hubby.

At Home:

DD Snow Miku, DD Luka, DDS Makoto, DD Airy, DDS KizunaAI

Chiisekai

I love DDs due to their infinite amount of possibilities and their size. I've been a figurine collector for many years and having a DD is simply an entirely new level of bringing anime into reality ^.^

Sticks-Ara

When I first saw some DD's on display, I knew I loved them right away. I love the way they look, the anime style to them, the way we can customize them and how beautiful they can be.

It took me years, but I finally have one...

Rainbowangel

I simply lurve the way they look, the majority of my non-ball jointed dolls are cartoonish in appearance and these fit that category. I like the more realistic BJD's however i'm more drawn to Dollfie Dreams. And of course their posing and not needing to be strung is a huge bonus.

jazijaz

I got into this hobby thanks to anime...I love anime hehe

I also like the shiny big eyes and the body looks smooth. Well, I just like dolls of every kind and as a huge anime fan, liking DDs was the normal thing to happen.

madmoz02

figma -> medicom -> DD.

Anime looks upsizing.

Gabriel

I definitely followed the PVC figure to Figma to Mediacom Real Action Hero to Dollfie Dream path. A Dollfie Dream feels like the next logical step in the evolution of my collection. As collectors, I hope everyone understands what I mean when I say that my DD feels like a prestige item. If I were to parallel it to my video game collection, it would be like a Neo Geo AES as the centerpiece. There's a mystique about DDs which I feel adds to a collection. (Or at least it adds to mine.)

I've always anthropomorphized my toys, and DDs are probably the easiest toys ever to apply that view to. The eyes provide them with such personality. I love the posability, and customizability. Having not played with dress up dolls as a child, I have to admit I really like the fashion doll aspect.

I've always been a bigger is better kind of person in regards to toys. I appreciate the scale of DDs. I think they're right at that magical size where they're small enough to be manageable but big enough to be satisfying and seem "real."

I like the anime look to DDs. I've been an anime fan since I first watched Battle of the Planets and didn't even know it was called anime. It's hard to explain, but I feel the anime look gives them just the right amount of fantasy element. Does that make any sense?

Admittedly, I'm in the very early months of owning a Dollfie Dream, but at the moment there is even a bit of a pleasantness about caring for the doll. I feel I need to pamper her and protect her. When I was posing her holding my VF-19, she fell over, and I nearly had a heart attack!

And I love taking pictures of her. I had tried taking pictures of my PVC figures, but there was only so much that I could do with them. Figmas just seem too small to be photogenic. But DDs just have the right scale and have the versatility to make taking pictures fun. As a kid, I had a Polaroid camera I really liked. I used to love taking pictures, but since film was expensive I didn't get to do it very much. When digital cameras in phones, video game systems, and tablets came along, I didn't really feel I had much to justify taking pics of. But in the past month I've started feeling that inspiration to be a shutterbug that I haven't felt since I was a pre-teen. Taking pictures of Amber is so relaxing and fun! I think I need to buy myself a real (but low end) camera soon.

LariesDollHouse

Through the dolls, I can express the styles I have always been too afraid to express on myself.

I am always to scared to go wild with my hair or try crazy fashions or wear color contacts but with dolls, I can have them wear those outfits I've always wanted. Basically, have them wear that perfect sweet lolita coord or that super sexy tight latex gothic outfit I wouldn't even think of putting on myself. It's another form of expression for me(And I am all about expression!)

♥She who leaves a trail of glitter, is never forgotten♥

ChuChuGuru

I've always been into dolls from barbies to spooky porcelain dolls. Mixing it in with my love for cartoons it was bound to happen.

DD Family:...

On the Way Home:

Saving for: ???

hatchetsforhands

I got into DD because I've been an anime otaku all of my life. I've been collecting anime figures for a long time now, and when the Hatsune Miku DD came out I knew I had to have her regardless of the price. Now, I've really fallen in love with DD. I love the anime aesthetic, and I'm so much more emotionally attached to my DD than my figures.

Chibi_Rat

I first saw Dollfie Dreams on DoA after I had been researching resin BJDs for a while, I was pretty indifferent about them until I saw an MDD H-01 and realized how adorable they could be.

I like Dollfie Dreams because they are so simple and have such nicely sculpted bodies (I particularly love the MDD knees) and they're so light! They also seem to be a little less delicate than the resin BJDs so I feel as if I would be less paranoid about damaging her. I also love their anime aesthetic but also how they can look more realistic depending on the eyes and/or face-up.

-sarunamirabu-

Ah let me count the ways ~

• I love the anime-asthetics of DDs (reason most people like them); to me they're the cutest anime-style dolls

• I love dolls and figures in general and dressing them up/posing them

• I like how they're customizable (like BJDs) so everyone's dolls can be unique in their own way

• They're great photo models

• Mine is great company around the house and out traveling ~

• I was pleasantly surprised by how light they are compared to BJDs! Very convenient for taking them out on dates ~

• Also just for peace-of-mind, the fact that all parts can be ordered separately for replacement worse-to-worse...well, I hope I wouldn't need to replace anything, but it's really a relief knowing that if something terrible did happen, I could fix my girl up easily ^^;a

• I'm so used to how so many things on BJDs are a "no-touch-zone" (like the face with MSC face ups) that DDs are a bit of a relief ;;;;

My Princess, Dollfie Miku's Instagram ♥ Smart Doll Ookurikara will be up Here (link currently will not work) ♕

angelsealcat

I love the anime aesthetic, first of all. I don't actually have the patience to sit down and watch much anime, but the art styles are just so cute!

Secondly, I like the modular aspect. I mostly collect resin BJD's, but DD's and Obitsu have so many more easily interchangeable options for hands, body type, bust size, and so on. It makes having a varied collection so much more accessible.

it's all daijoubu baby

oscarmonkey4

I love anime style. I found out about DD's from watching anime and the otaku culture. I started collecting figures first until i trusted myself splashing out a lot of money. lets just say i didn't regret it xD

Kira343

I think the anime look is cute and also like their weight. Be way easier to dress them up to bring to conventions then the bigger resin dolls.

berettapunk

until i looked in here to check out all the other reasons people have for this hobby, i thought i had already posted mine

anime

as many of you have and will post, i love the anime connection. it brings it to the real world for me so that i have at least that connection to it. almost like the figurines but these are a bit more personal as they actually require some interaction whereas my figurines just stand there staring back at me like the geek i am haha

art

also as an artist, ive always been envious of people who can draw human forms and the hair and the clothing with all the little details that are never the same from one moment to the next. since my first dd my people drawing has gotten better. ive always been great at inanimate objects that never change and the girls help me with that connection as they are both inanimate, yet near perfect replicas of things that move freely about. ive also been a massive pin-up style fan my whole life and the girls remind me of that all the time.

collectibles

they are amazingly well put together and are essential in my mind if you are a collector of anime or just figurines/dolls themselves. granted my girls have developed personalities and even tho they dont speak i feel as tho i would betray them if i got rid of them(tho i also feel this way about several guitars and cars i own...i feel as tho a shrink would have a field day with me ) but i know many people collect them on an investment level too as they do often carry a decent price tag with most character girls and some custom girls can get a good price as well if done right and the right person falls in love with it. granted that is one part of the hobby im not concerned with. the market prices could bomb on just the girls i own and i would be just as proud then as i am today.

fandom

its always nice to meet other people who share a similar passion as you do. whenever i meet musicians or car guys or other anime fans its always fun to talk about things we like and dont like. things we use, tips, tricks, facts, etc... most of the time it restores my faith in humanity that we can all find something that we all can relate to one another with.

beauty

flat out, these girls are beautiful! one of the most beautiful things in the universe is the female form, this is the ongoing opinion i share with my friends who are artists (many of which are female) they and i all agree that there is just a graceful beauty that comes along with female gender and some of us feel the DD capture this in some of its forms.

shock factor

this is not something abnormal for me. when i am not working my daily job as a mild mannered cable guy, i am running around in spikes n chains n tats n piercings n ugly face shouting my opinion and playing in my punk band, yet also opening doors for little old ladies who recognize me with a bewildered look as the guy who just installed their cable three days ago. adding the girls to it just perplexes and bewilders people even more. its actually pretty funny. but typically im at a con or comic shop where there is no shock in my collection of dd, only interest and amazement in how awesome they are.

OMG WHERE ARE THEY ALL COMING FROM?!?!

ArtCresc

I am definitely drawn to the anime/manga aesthetic. The gateway was anime gashapon to trading figs to pvc to super poseables (figma!) to 1/6 scale (RAH) to the seemingly unattainable DD. A natural progression. Add in crossover interests with western media action figures (tv, movies, scifi), growing cross-pollination with increased interest in BJD's (you discover DD, you also discover SD), and it was inevitable.

The construction of the dollfies was easily relatable to existing collecting interests supported by the anime influences. Seeing the lengths to which DD enthusiasts pursue perfection is admirable and immensely inspiring, appealing greatly to my artistic nature. This seems to be true of everyone on this forum! I'm so pleased that Sheryl-sama was made so accessible since she's really the first volks produced character for whom I'm willing to take the dive! (Huge Macross fan). I went so far as adopting a DDS for "practice" and ended up customizing her into another related character!

RiverR

The main reason I like DD (and resin counterparts BJDs) is the articulation. I was so frustrated with my dolls as a child because they were only articulated at the hips, shoulders, and neck. . . so when I found DDs I was ecstatic. No more wishing a doll's arms could bend instead of staying rigid! And now that I'm interested in art, a DD would definitely help me with poses and such while being much more interesting than an artist's mannequin.

And while there's definitely the anime connection for me as well. . . it's mostly because of the style and not any connection with a specific anime/manga/game, because at the time I got into DDs I didn't recognize any characters. Even after I was interested in DDs, as more licensed characters were announced, I only recognized Asuna, Sinon, and Hatsune Miku!

I'd say that DDs have introduced me to more anime, though, because I'll think, "Oh, she's so pretty. What is she from? . . . That sounds interesting!" I'm watching Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls right now for that reason.

Sticks-Ara

As I would go to anime & Asian pop culture conventions (Anime Expo, PMX), I quickly learned about these dolls over the years. At first I thought the idea of having an anime style doll was strange, but as I got to see them more and how detailed they were, I fell in love with them.

I love the idea that people can customize their dolls in every kind of way... from clothing, hair, shoes, cosplay, facials, eyes... everything. They can practically be anything you want, and I thought that was awesome.

It took me years of saving, searching and asking lots of questions, but my wife and I finally got our own DD... an we couldn't be happier...

Nolluska

Honestly, I got so turned off by Volks anime dolls years ago, even their resin dolls were like real horror for me. But you know, times change! Slowly I started to look at their pictures and I was okay with how they looked. And now my doll collection is pretty much made from Volks and I like how dorky they can look.

I like how light they are, at least compared to resin dolls that I'd handled for years before DD's. They can look pretty from almost every corner in your eye and they're just a delight for your sight. I've been a manga/anime hobbyist since my teens and this is kind of a extension for that hobby as I can make my own anime/manga characters come to "life" or at least 3D as you know.

I don't know any other way to say it, eheh.

FinalGear

I’m been on this forum for only a few days…

I have seen nothing, but some amazing stuff on this forum (omg.. how did they do that)

You guys/gals is what makes DD fun and exciting

Plus, the resell value on any DD is impressive

miffimifster

I like DD because like Volks Super Dollfies and Cerberus Project (Fairyland) resin bjd's, the faces and body lines are very elegant, and ideal - in an anime style. I find these types of design very pleasant to look at, and enjoy the way most fashions look on them.

The other thing I like about the DD is their high quality, soft and friendly vinyl material. This, coupled with their sweet, simple and cute faces, makes them a friendly and welcoming sort of doll to handle.

Now that I have one DD of my own, I'm also enjoying the rather ingenious engineering of the body, and its ability to pose rather well, without need for sueding or wiring (often needed in resin bjd's).

And, these dolls are customizable - from wigs and eye choices, to custom faceups. I love that!