Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Averis

Your daughters?

Averis

Kinda a newbie question but I thought it could make for an interesting discussion.

Why do you call your DDs your daughters, if you do? Is it because of DD tradition (it's not so common with OT BJDs) or something else? Did you call them your daughter right away or did it come up later on? Do you have any funny stories about people's reaction when you call them that?

Averis

So for me I usually just say "my girls". They either represent a character in one of my stories or they just have their own personality that came about on its own. So they are like independent "people" instead of someone I adopted. I'm still close to them, but they are "offspring" of a different sort. Typically, a character I created in my head. Or it could just be that the thought of them calling me "papa" would make me feel old or even a little uncomfortable when/if I take a fan-service photo. >.>

littlebearries

I have wondered about this too... I also wonder if more males than females call their dolls "daughters" or vice versa, or if it's pretty even.

Currently I only have one DD, and I usually just call her Alna...

I call my OT resin dolls "The Dolls" or "The Crew" and the DDs will probably just be part of "The Crew" once I start amassing more than one.

7782845246_e35680d49e_o.png

Galvatim

I, too, refer to my girls as 'my girls'. I don't feel entirely comfortable calling them my daughters. Well, that, and I'm sure some of you have noticed that Aoi calls me 'onii-chan', so she sees me as her big brother. That said, Dollfie Daughters has a good ring to it, I can see why it would catch on.

• Like 1

mitsuki

The term for daughter in Japanese is "musume." It can be a general term that also means girl or young woman. Likewise, a girl can call an older male her "oniichan" even if they are not blood-related. Family-like terms express a sense of emotional attachment.

I think the term is used by the Volks company to instill a sense of closeness/bonding and a protective feeling "parents" tend to have for their Dollfies. The Super Dollfies look more like children so the term seems natural for them.

The Japanese word for cute ("kawaii") has an element of evoking a feeling that you want to protect or nurture the cute item/animal/person. I think Dollfies fit into this category of cute. Dollfies are completely dependent on their "parents." They breathe life into them.

I don't feel particularly motherly when I consider my Dollfies as musume. Having them will not make me grow up. They require much less maintenance compared to real children. I guess I think of them as being characters in their own little world similar to what Averis said unless I take them out to meet other people. Then I feel protective of them.

• Like 1

fenrir z78

Edited by Guest

Averis

Great info, mitsuki! I didn't know that. I'm still very much protective of them. Maybe even a little too much.

Galvatim
The term for daughter in Japanese is "musume." It can be a general term that also means girl or young woman. Likewise, a girl can call an older male her "oniichan" even if they are not blood-related. Family-like terms express a sense of emotional attachment.

That's totally how I feel about Aoi-chan! And my other girls too, I just have a stronger bond with Aoi since she was my first.

I don't feel particularly motherly when I consider my Dollfies as musume. Having them will not make me grow up. They require much less maintenance compared to real children. I guess I think of them as being characters in their own little world similar to what Averis said unless I take them out to meet other people. Then I feel protective of them.

I agree, it's much easier and different to care for a Dollfie than a child or a pet. I do see them more as people in their own world. I'm very protective of them though, I don't let other people handle them!

OtakuDepot

I find I use the term "my girls" most of the time but I do call them my daughters from time to time. I do that as I enjoy the feeling of being their protector in some ways.... Maybe it's the male psyche coming through and wanting to be the protector.

I do like the idea of referring to them as daughters, as an affectionate name. I don't know if I'd call them my roommates or something like that.

Other BJD owners may not call them daughters but I know that SD owners can go through a birthing ceremony when picking up their doll at Volks:

I guess as long as your happy with it, and the DDs don't mind, it's all good.

Otaku Depot's growing family.

6176759571_b2375fa7d7_o.jpg

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

― Terry Pratchett, Jingo

scripple

I don't know if I'd call them my roommates or something like that.

Hmm, I sense a shot fired across my bow.

I'm not into the whole daughter thing, so I just let them all consider themselves roommates.

To each their own.

Milk

I'm not really into this whole daughter business. Referring to them as daughter would make me feel too old and it takes the connection to an inanimate object on a whole new level. At the end of the day they're not alive so I can't refer to them as something alive which would (or rather should) be extremely important to me. Don't get me wrong, I bonded with the girl I have and I love her dearly! But I don't want to be unfair to living people. I don't know if that even makes sense to somebody besides me. Anyway, I'll keep saying 'my dolls' or 'my girls' to them.

At home: Victoria {DD Beatrice}, DD 2B, DD 9S

Waiting for: TinyFox Murphy

MaxArcher

I don't really like the daughter thing. It's especially weird to me when people dress them up really suggestively (or more than suggestively) and then still call them daughters.

I thought, by the way, that the whole "daughter" think came from Danny Choo.

I just say "the (or my/our) dolls" or "the DDs". The only exception is Beato, who I'll jokingly refer to as "my waifu".

DD Beatrice - DD Saber/EXTRA

Alphakitty

Like almost everyone else here, I refer to them as my "girls!" While I don't think calling them daughters in and of itself is inherently creepy, Danny Choo has kind of squicked me out with how sexually he talks about his Saber while calling her daughter. That, for some reason, is just too much for me! However I know it's usually a much more neutral term, I just can't ever see myself calling them that. They'll always be my girls or sometimes even "the ladies!"

DD Family: Mari, Saber Lily, Marisa, Soniko, Noumi, Kirino, Kuroneko, Sakura (DD Sakuno), Aerie, Akira, Kiki, Koko, Rose (DDS Mariko), Kureha, Ryoko, Lucy, Haruka, Rise, Extra & Alter!

mitsuki

The term for referring to a woman in the third person ("kanojo") can also be translated to "girlfriend." Maybe this contributes to why Dollfies tend to be referred to as "musume" instead of "kanojo" or "onna no ko." "Onna no ko" is "little woman" or "girl." I like just "ko" which is kind of like "little ones."

I am a pathological personifier. I feel like my stuffed animals are kind of like pets (but much easier to take care of). I naturally have no trouble feeling like my DDs are alive. I usually refer to them by their names to emphasize that I consider them something like a living entity.

baldylox
I am a pathological personifier. I feel like my stuffed animals are kind of like pets (but much easier to take care of). I naturally have no trouble feeling like my DDs are alive. I usually refer to them by their names to emphasize that I consider them something like a living entity.

I'll have to say I do the same thing as Mitsuki when it comes to my Dollfies. When I get home I tell them hello, when I leave for work I tell them goodbye. I treat them as little people in their own right. While not my "true" daughters, I do feel like they are my extended family and I do call them daughters online in places like this and Figurefm. Most often tho I refer to them as "My Girls" or "The Girls".

But I agree with Mitsuki all the way. It's nice getting lost in the thought that they have their own lives while I am away and that they are individuals. I think I show this in my photo stories.

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Averis

Yeah, I'm sorta similar. I don't refer to them as just "dolls" or "it", I say "she" or refer to them by name. My father catches me on that and laughs. Since they look like a person and their faces give off a personality, it's easy to want to treat them that way. It feels more odd to me to treat them as just a thing. I'm sure most of us know they are not alive, but you do get attached to them by dressing them and taking photos and such. I think it's harder to not think that they have some imaginary life. The guys that made "Toy Story" seemed to think this way too. This could probably be its own topic.

OtakuDepot

Oh no, not at all. It was just some good hearted teasing. I hope I didn't offend you in any way scripple, that wasn't my intention. I just was having some fun.

As for calling them daughters... One thing I found interesting as I thought about it is that I don't think of them as my "children" when I say that. I don't feel like their parent at all, maybe the best description is their care taker?

I'm not sure if this is related or not but I do use the term "adopted" as I don't like to say "buy" or "purchased" when talking about them. For instance: "I just won the lottery for my chance to adopt Neris!" I've caught myself saying "I bought her back in...." and I really don't like how that sounds.

It's very interesting to read peoples views on this subject.

**James.

Otaku Depot's growing family.

6176759571_b2375fa7d7_o.jpg

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

― Terry Pratchett, Jingo

Halcyon

I also use "my girls." If I'm trying to be sarcastic (or I'm having a conversation with a close friend), I would use "my daughters." Asides from that, I also use "my musume (娘)." Like mitsuki said, 娘 is a general term. It can also means girl or young woman.

DD 娘 - Dollfie Dream® Daughters

{1} : DDS [ユ-ピィ] - Euphie

scripple

Oh no, not at all. It was just some good hearted teasing. I hope I didn't offend you in any way scripple, that wasn't my intention. I just was having some fun.

No offense taken. I was sure it was all in fun.

Lizik-chan

I also do refer them as "girls" or "my girls" mostly. I do personify them and speak to them. But I don’t feel protective or caring rather I would call it admiring. So I don't feel like calling them daughters as I rather consider them to be friends of my. Besides after the explanations here I feel like "daughters" is mostly refer to linguistic field than to real parenting feelings. Great thanks to mitsuki for this detailed explanation by the way. I was always interested where this “daughter” reference originated from.

Kumi

I'm married and I have a real daughter, so referring to a doll as "daughter" doesn't sound right to me.

I call my girl "my girl". Or refer to her as "Undine", by her first name. (She's resin, but I think it's not relevant to the topic).

I think, that I also personify her. Something along the thoughts from Chobits, that "her" personality is within me. Her "soul" is, in reality, some part of mine. And because of that, some things doesn't sound/feel/look right.

otakusan

hmm... i've always called my girls "my girls" and when I do photo stories, I usually get them to call me "master" then eventually some of the later photostories I had them calling me "Otousan"(father in Japanese) because it suited the photo story better..

AntElitist

Initially Mashiro call me "master" but as time goes on, she calls me "daddy" but I still call her by her name. Due to being used to address people by name I guess.

Nakitaninja
Kinda a newbie question but I thought it could make for an interesting discussion.

Why do you call your DDs your daughters, if you do? Is it because of DD tradition (it's not so common with OT BJDs) or something else? Did you call them your daughter right away or did it come up later on? Do you have any funny stories about people's reaction when you call them that?

You call them that because you spend as much on them as you would a real child(at least in theory). ^____^ At least that's what I've heard about the resin ones and BJDs in general are such a personal creation and so expensive it truly is something born from your heart. <--- sounds hokey but is true.

I don't call them my daughters to people other than doll folks. Doll people appreciate the sentiment whereas other people may believe you to be nuts. It's just my personal choice. I commend/admire those who don't give a d*mn what other people think.

40283197242_5620dd1681.jpg

MsGeek

The dolls...they own me. I am their humble minion. However, I do feel protective of them, so I suppose I'm their "dollieh mommieh."

I suppose I do have a fair amount of control though...Sarge has a faceup done by me, my first faceup ever, and she seems to like it. My next Dollfie Dream will be the pale one. She might wind up being more Rei-like than Sarge...I really think she'll have a DDH-02 head, and I *do* have that jumper now, a "knockoff" from a company that makes them, so I'm starting to think she might wind up a "replica" of the original Rei with the white skin pale look of Rei v.2. I had the idea of a gaming character who winds up embodied...maybe she would be this Rei-like character instead of being a MMORG character. I have this idea also...what if the events of Eva never happened on this world, and somehow an angel named Rei-Aleph winds up on Earth, in the very "City of Angels," and is "adopted" by the rest of the family? If you've ever seen Wings Of Desire, the movie by Wim Wenders, you understand that there is nothing sinister about these "fallen angels," they just fall in love with the idea of being human, and trade their immortality and their wings for humanity and involvement with the humans they watch over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEOo640zVMQ

Rei-Aleph is a sign that humanity does not need to go through Second Impact and Third Impact...but why? She also answers to another name, much older: Lillitu. Why is she here? Why hasn't Second Impact happened because of her? Mystery upon mystery.