Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Averis

Your daughters?

Poofiemus

I don't see my girls as my daughters either really. I do consider them kind of close friends/family, but not my offspring. Sisters maybe, or roommates, but not children.

I think some of this has to do with Agatha being my first; in the comic she's based on, her relationship with her birth mother is weird at best and a complete disaster at worst, without getting into the full range of spoilers, and while her surrogate/adoptive mother got along well with her there was definitely something keeping Agatha from seeing her completely filling the role, as as Agatha calls her by name instead of "mother". So trying to fill that role for her while keeping her character would have been pretty dang bizarre. Then when Nanoha came along, I guess due to how she sees Agatha, she felt more like an equal than offspring as well. I think, if she had been first, I may have been able to see her as a daughter, but that's just not how it worked out in the end.

That's not to say I'd never see a doll of mine best described as my "dolly child", but I do think that for that to happen said doll would have to have a "younger" and more immature character mindset for it to really pan out that way.

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

moncikoma

They are my waifu, my daughter, my love, my hope and dreams

misskale

Honestly? I call them "my Japanese dolls" to everyone except a BJD collector. Then I say "my girls" because I feel it's expected. Making them look as good as possible is an artistic expression, so they're sort of like a palette. The reason I do say they have a personality is that I have to find what seems to make them the most "vibrant." It's like when the actor playing the Doctor makes his outfit, once it's "his" the character comes from that. I do make up stories for them, like I have done for all my dolls, because it allows me to pick things that work.

aeris

In French, it is the same word ( fille) for daughter and girl. I don't call them like this, as I have a "real" daughter and so I think it would be weird.

Most of the time I call them by their names, or I call them " les DD" ( dédé ) when I speak about the group.

When I speak about them in English, I call them the girls or the DD girls.

Home : Hitomi, Kaori, Lily, Natsuki, Kotori, Yui, Kagami, , Maya, Hana

Jezrah

I call them the girls' and my dolls or my DDs, but not my daughters. I don't think of them as my daughters, since although I do take care of them they still take less work than even my cats. I think of them as my cute little charges that I watch out for. They don't call me mommy, but they do call each other sisters even though so far none of them are character-wise actually related. I guess it's more akin to them being in a foster home where they may call each other family, but I would probably be called by name since I am more of a guardian. (My mom however seems to think that they are my fake children since she thinks it's funny that I do things like seat belt them into the car. )

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

klein

I have an actual daughter nicknamed zilla who just turned four this past week. You may refer to your DD however you like but I do get slightly offended if people refer to my DD as my daughters as I actually have a daughter so it kind of weirds me out (zilla isn't siblings with any of my dolls).

Most of the time I refer to them just as the girls, I do have a tendency to refer to the MDD as my little darlings.

6298891632_a2df2e3dbd.jpg

My Flickr - Pullip_junk; For list of my DD see my profile

puxlavoix

Some weeks ago me and my friend went to a doll store we just found out about... we were curious to see if they had something we could use for our dolls like clothing and accesories.

While we were there we could not help but keep refering to them as "my daughter" "your daughter" just as we're used to.

We came to meet with an attendant we were inquiring about certain garments prices, and while she was standing right there with us we were like "you think this will fit the girls? " "itll look better on your daughter" "well how about this one for your daughter?" and so on...

After a few minutes of hearing us, the puzzled woman goes like "Pardon me, but I think maybe you would want to go to a baby store a few blocks from here, Im quite doubtful this clothes will fit a girl any age, even if just a little baby"

1505193317_sig1copy.png.892dcb9d95734be68d4282d5f06843bb.png1495205582_sig2copy.png.b9f2cb50f3c66e638bd5c8a75bd10688.png

Error-Chan
So for me I usually just say "my girls". They either represent a character in one of my stories or they just have their own personality that came about on its own. So they are like independent "people" instead of someone I adopted. I'm still close to them, but they are "offspring" of a different sort. Typically, a character I created in my head. Or it could just be that the thought of them calling me "papa" would make me feel old or even a little uncomfortable when/if I take a fan-service photo. >.>

I'm the same as you Averis. My girls are my girls.. They all have a story (3 are from the same story and one is from another.) There is one girl my MDD that I got just to be a ""pretty doll" but ATM I am not really bonding with her so she may find a new home some time. The terms I call them by are "" the girls"", ""The ladies"" or by there names.

1318456551_iconforum1.png.a269b0b1783180a9321ea1253e7030d0.png 660234961_iconforum2.png.59d2cd89863301d16c42e72437657af9.png

battrastard

Hmmm...... Not really daughters, I think... more like "Kiddos", bratlings and such.... My "charges", I guess would be the best way to put it.

Around the house, when I mention them to the other folks that live here, It's either "The Kids" or I call em by name....

The "Papa" thing? Well, I think I've just gone along with the flow.......

I'm comfortable with it..........

"Madness takes it's toll, Please have exact change!"

RedLion

Nah, I don't see my dollfies as daughters. For me regarding Kihona, I see her as someone I admire and would love to meet, if she were a real woman. To me, she's mah woman.

Edited by Guest

Gunter

I honestly have run into the whole "these are daughters" or "these are my sons" quite a lot within the doll hobbies in general (ABJD/DD), but honestly I don't like the sound of it at all. I say "kiddos" but I always use that term generally as a insult, sort of looking down upon someone, and I use it when they are being brats. (Happens more than you think.) Otherwise, they are just my dolls, or my girls.

As far as putting me into a parental status for them, that, I have been called a few times, but I've just generally gone with the flow if someone mentions it, but otherwise I have never referred to myself that way. Just isn't my thing...*shrugs*

...Also, I'm pretty damn sure everyone hates me here because I'm an evil witch or something. (Lily and Vi tolerate) Alter, and Izzy (Volks F38, so my resin boy) have a far more "elegant" way of referring to my evil. If I dared call them in that way, or refer to me as their mother I am sure they'd be staring daggers at me for weeks! Alter doesn't do anything but that already! D:

Edited by Guest

I think many people accepted the term "daughters" because of the fact that you are creating and taking care of these dolls. At least, when it comes to the customs. The Image Character dolls are a different story. I started calling Candie my daughter in the beginning because of this same fact. But, as time has passed, I think of her more as "my girl" than "my daughter." It's just what comfortably comes out of my mouth, or finger tips, when I talk about her.

Marq V

I don't refer to my gals as "daughters". When I first started collecting I bought mine to be models as in fashion models. I first started with resin and silicone dolls.

After a while, I got them just because I enjoyed having them. But I refer to my gals as "girl-friends". Not as in girlfriend but as a girl who happens to be my friend. Even 'girl' is a generic term as all but 2 of my dolls are really women in appearance.

Having said that, if I ever were to get a doll and pretend she was my daughter in the most traditional father/daughter relationship, it would be Rena; she is just so adorable

Galfriends at home:

DD: Yoko, Yui, & Briana Rei

Resin: Tatiana, Leda, Miyoi, Tana,... & Gena<3

Rei_Sama

I think I know why ppl call their DDs as daughters. If you go to VOLKS store in Japan before, you will get to hear DD Yukino making announcement periodically on the upcoming events and introduction to DDs and herself etc. She refer all potential owners as "Otosama" and "Okasama". I think that's one reason why ppl refer them as "daughters". Personally I don't call my girls "daughters" or "wives". I called them as my "girls" or "princesses" and they are my little companions. I can hear their little "voices" as well. There might be people ridiculing me for being over-obsessed, lunatic and need to see a psychiatrist etc. They can make any nasty comments they want but these are my little angels and myself and I don't care how awe you think.

Bouncing_Tigger

What an interesting thread! Being relatively new to this...and knowing very little to nothing about anime, manga, etc...I am not hampered by anything preconceived when it comes to my girls in terms of who they are, how they act, or their personality traits. They each seem to run the full gamut from about age 5 to age 55, depending upon how I feel at the time!! Interestingly enough, though, my first girl is always clearly older than her sister, my second girl...not sure exactly why, but maybe because we adopted her first...LOL ...and yes, I call them my girls, the babies, or the/my ladies depending on the cirbleepstances and exactly what they are getting up to! (I do think of them as sisters, btw.) I also refer to them by name...and they were harder to name than my real children for some reason!! I named my first girl, my husband took one look at her once she had her eyes and wig and said "That's not her name! Her name is Gretchen!"...and he was right! I know that many here make reference to the head and body type but to me, each of my girls is an 'entirety' so I can never remember what 'head' they have or what body they are on. They are just Gretchen and Charlotte.

We have been blessed with a wonderful, real daughter so I can't imagine calling them my daughters. On that note, I guess it is because of my daughter that I call them 'my girls' because that is how she refers to her DD's. Funny thing is that I refer to my real daughter's DD's as my "granddaughters" both to family and friends. When my daughter adopts a new DD, I tell people that we have a new granddaughter or have 'an addition to our family'!! As they ask for details, you should see their faces when they finally realize I am talking about a doll!!! That look alone is worth the price of admission!! It cracks me up every time! Once we have real grandchildren this may change, but for now, we just enjoy visits from our daughter and have a lot of fun when she brings our 'granddaughters' along with her so that they can visit with our girls!