Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
mitsuki

Shion visits Cold Spring Harbor Laboratories

mitsuki

I took Shion with me to a week long retroviruses conference at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratories in Cold Spring Harbor New York.

5792268376_57c080a202.jpg

Here she is outside the cabin we stayed in on campus.

5791709633_657d73113f.jpg

The cabin is up a hill from the main laboratory buildings and conference hall.

5791711285_b6db0be905.jpg

Here are some of labs and dorms.

5791711611_a09a920068.jpg

This tower has a spiral staircase representative of DNA's helical structure.

5792272154_dbaf8de213.jpg

One of the larger lab buildings.

5791714713_bf11d5fb0d.jpg

It was chilly out because of the rain and wind, so Shion is wearing a jacket.

5792274724_d344925a71.jpg

Shion has seen photos of the campus from previous years. She wanted to see the ribosome sculpture the most.

5791715115_371c118665.jpg

There is a 3D model of a protein called B lymphocyte stimulator (BLyS) in the background.

5792276232_0d42555e3c.jpg

"It is painted a crazy sports car color or maybe an alien spaceship color."

5792276624_7f23528bfe.jpg

"We must go check out that gazebo."

5791717597_509104ae3d.jpg

"This is great!"

5792278168_972a44e5bb.jpg

"Everything is so green!"

5792278646_ce0612f2a5.jpg

"Flowers!"

5792279922_fbe8293e9f.jpg

"More flowers!"

5791721051_1834c84e37.jpg

This is the pathway to the conference hall.

5792301358_86e8fd65a1.jpg

The Harbor of Cold Spring Harbor.

5792301812_05bc4b982c.jpg

More of the harbor.

5791744721_94d8dec207.jpg

The backyard of the house where the wine and cheese party was held.

5792314176_63c6b02e02.jpg

5791745213_9e7ccd0c19.jpg

The next day was sunny.

5791746755_e429f5a3a1.jpg

The ribosome sculpture!

5791747867_a2dbafcfdb.jpg

"I want one of these to sit on while watching anime."

5791749207_1f1036e13c.jpg

5792308848_d59d0efbd3.jpg

5792309808_30ae83a9e9.jpg

You can see the nascent peptide in between the large and small subunits of the ribosome.

5792312388_861af2fe83.jpg

Shion likes "BLyS."

Galvatim

That's quite the interesting campus! Shion looks cute in both her outfits!

baldylox

These are so cool! Shion looks like she dragged you all over the place! The pics of her in the corners of photos have her looking like "Keep up now! Come on!"

Such great pics of that place. I bet it would have been way more fun without all the meetings....

And excellent pics of Shion! She looks like she really had a great time there. Good choice on having her go with you!

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

mitsuki

Thank you, Galvatim and Baldylox! I had a lot of fun taking Shion around the campus. She is small enough to easily fit in a tote bag. It was nice to see so many plants, trees, and flowers.

jun97

Hi Shion! That was a nice place you visited. Thanks for the tour.

mitsuki

Thank you, jun97! I think everyone needs ribosomes in their backyard.

scripple

Wow, that's a really cool campus. Nice that they even have guest cabins available. Thanks to mitsuki and Shion for giving us the tour.

Not sure how comfortable that sculpture would be for long term anime watching though.

mitsuki

Thank you, scripple. CSHL's PhD program is supposed to be shorter than most (only 4 years). Some of the lab building look like houses still. James Watson is in his 80s now but can still be spotted wandering the campus.

Shion is romanticizes the idea of a ribosome chair because of the flashy colors. I am sure she wouldn't really use it if I got one for her.

scripple
Thank you, scripple. CSHL's PhD program is supposed to be shorter than most (only 4 years).

Shion is romanticizes the idea of a ribosome chair because of the flashy colors. I am sure she wouldn't really use it if I got one for her.

Four years after the BS I assume.

Did they have a gift shop with miniature sculptures? Maybe you could have picked one up and found out how much she would have used it.

mitsuki

That's right, 4 years for a PhD after spending 4 years in a BS program. Our friend Oliver took longer because he boss took off for Brazil, and he had to start over.

The gift shop has lots of books, stuffed viruses and other pathogens, clothing, candy, and necklaces with a little gold DNA helix. Maybe I can get Billy to make ribosome chairs.

scripple
That's right, 4 years for a PhD after spending 4 years in a BS program. Our friend Oliver took longer because he boss took off for Brazil, and he had to start over.

The gift shop has lots of books, stuffed viruses and other pathogens, clothing, candy, and necklaces with a little gold DNA helix. Maybe I can get Billy to make ribosome chairs.

Ah the classic all your eggs in one basket problem of PhD programs. Really need some reform in that regard.

Billy likes to get volunteered for labor, so I'm sure he'd love to make you some ribosome chairs. Maybe wait until it's less humid where he is though as drying times for fancy finishes like that would take forever right now.

mitsuki

I heard about your table finish troubles. It is finally getting hot around here. I am afraid to go outside!

baldylox
Billy likes to get volunteered for labor, so I'm sure he'd love to make you some ribosome chairs. Maybe wait until it's less humid where he is though as drying times for fancy finishes like that would take forever right now.

Hey! I don't know if that's a jab at me or at my region of the country!

Plus, I just enjoy building stuff. And hunting for parts for people. And selling things for people..... dammit. I'm a pushover ain't I?

I hate the drying times for stuff in humidity! Stupid heat and mositure indexes..... BAH!

Billy

scripple

Hey! I don't know if that's a jab at me or at my region of the country!

Why it's not a jab at all. Just offering mitsuki some friendly advice on the timing of her request.

Plus, I just enjoy building stuff. And hunting for parts for people. And selling things for people..... dammit. I'm a pushover ain't I?

And that's just part of the reason we all like you so much.

Milk

Man, I'm a little jealous, this place is awesome. I like the first outfit you chose for Shion. She looks so cute in it.

At home: Victoria {DD Beatrice}, DD 2B, DD 9S

Waiting for: TinyFox Murphy

littlebearries

Ahhh, New York can be so beautiful... I used to live near Rochester. Shion looks like she's having a grand old time XD

Back in Highschool when we first learned about ribosomes, my friend and I were saddened that some ribosomes are trapped... so we began a "Free the Ribosomes" campaign. (Yeah, I know it doesn't make any sense... we just were amusing ourselves, lol... and I'm an art major so I know squat about science )

So I'm happy to see them roaming free across the countryside XD Free Range Ribosomes!!

Your girl was so lucky to have such a wonderful outing.... and a wine and cheese party!! Did she sip and nibble?

I'd love ribosome chairs too, so I can't blame her there.

7782845246_e35680d49e_o.png

baldylox

Hmm.... I don't know how I'd go about making Ribosome chairs....

Maybe Bondo around wooden frames? Something I could sand down and then paint. I just need more time in a day. We need 36 hour days so I can do more!

Billy

mitsuki

That's awesome, littlebearries! Free Range Ribosomes!! I love it! Ribosomes normally do a lot of work making every protein in the cell, so it is great to see them playing outside.

Baldylox, you don't have to indulge Shion. I figure a mini beanbag chair would be better for her than a ribosome chair. I can always tell her it is a vacuole chair or a lysosome chair. Those are just bags of stuff shaped similarly to beanbags. I could also tell her that it is a nucleus chair. The nucleus is like an exclusive night club. It is hard to get in. You need to meet the requirements. I think she would feel special if she had her own nucleus chair.

baldylox
Baldylox, you don't have to indulge Shion. I figure a mini beanbag chair would be better for her than a ribosome chair. I can always tell her it is a vacuole chair or a lysosome chair. Those are just bags of stuff shaped similarly to beanbags. I could also tell her that it is a nucleus chair. The nucleus is like an exclusive night club. It is hard to get in. You need to meet the requirements. I think she would feel special if she had her own nucleus chair.

Oh I know I don't have to indulge her. It was just my brain ramblings that I was typing out. I suck with plaster and Bondo so I doubt anything I came up with would look decent anyways.

I find your idea of the "Nucleus Club" most excellent. Exclusivity, cool factor and comfortable all in one. Shion would LOVE that!

Billy

Pupi

What a beautiful place! I would love to work in a similar place too**

I like the ribosome sculpture a lot even if i don't know why... It is really "charming"...

Shion looks lovely in both her outfits ><

enthusiast pasta girl - she/her - power bi

Mini Mode Lab

OtakuDepot

Mitsuki, thanks so much for the little tour and thank Shion for being our tour guide. Looks like you have fun being able to get your "geek" on. hehe I'm a geek as well but not in that area. Mostly in music, art, and formerly in zymurgy (beer making). The music side of me couldn't get songs from Billy Joel's "Cold Spring Harbor" album out of my head when reading this.

This post did make me think of the plushy microbes they sell at Think Geek:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/plush/a55e/

a55e_petri_microbesbig.jpg

I'm tempted to get these so my girls can play with them. Who wouldn't want to cuddle with a soft fluffy Ebola virus?

Also about the anime Moyashimon (Tales of Agriculture):

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=8064

A great anime to watch, very funny show.

**James

Otaku Depot's growing family.

6176759571_b2375fa7d7_o.jpg

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

― Terry Pratchett, Jingo

littlebearries

I've always wanted the plushie ebola virus... and that's the ONLY form of it I've ever wanted XD

7782845246_e35680d49e_o.png

mitsuki
What a beautiful place! I would love to work in a similar place too**

I like the ribosome sculpture a lot even if i don't know why... It is really "charming"...

Shion looks lovely in both her outfits ><

Thank you, Ilvias! It is nice to see so many green plants and so many flowers after such a long winter. I like the color and shape of those ribosome sculptures. Shion is happy you like her outfits.

mitsuki

Thank you, OtakuDepot. Shion was happy to act as a tour guide after studying the photos from past years before we went out there.

Those plushy microbes are awesome! I have the stuffed HIV because we work on that virus in the lab.

That is so cool that you are into zymurgy. My friend used to make his own beer until he got married. Then he ended up with a curfew and wasn't allowed to hang out with his friends or make beer anymore.

Having a music and art background is perfect for your DD hobby! Do your girls like the same kind of music you like?

mitsuki
I've always wanted the plushie ebola virus... and that's the ONLY form of it I've ever wanted XD

That plushie Ebola looks so cute! Definitely safer in plushie form!