Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

marisa_doll

Custom Head Project - From Scratch!

misskale

When you go to try again shapeways says their polished white plastic is heat safe up to 80C.

aiRreyes

this is amazing! I'll be checking this thread then

6853819370_62b89ea6a5_t.jpg

Home: ~Soleil~ (DD Sendo Erika) ~Lilith~ (DDS Melty) ~Quinzel~ (DDH-07) ~Haruka~ (DD Mio)

marisa_doll
Maybe a compromise: new print that gets airbrushed and used directly instead of casting? Because that head you modeled is too cute to not be used by at least one person.

Had a think and this is probably the better way to go for me. Money-wise, making a mold, resin copy, then another mold is probably going to cost a bomb now that I know how much silicone I actually need.

So painting it seems to be best.

Haven't the faintest idea what paint I would use though. Probably acrylic? Probably tamiya?

I was thinking maybe I'd used the color matching service at the local Homebase (they scan the color with a computer and mix a paint electronically to match it). They can mix the paints in vinyl matte, which looks like it'll work with the 3d print.

this is amazing! I'll be checking this thread then

Thanks!

My SQ Hibiki

I am putting up for adoption a SQ-Lab Ren head on flickr. Contact me for more details!

JChiibs
Maybe a compromise: new print that gets airbrushed and used directly instead of casting? Because that head you modeled is too cute to not be used by at least one person.

Had a think and this is probably the better way to go for me. Money-wise, making a mold, resin copy, then another mold is probably going to cost a bomb now that I know how much silicone I actually need.

I was curious why you didn't originally use the printed head directly before. I kinda wondering if the quality wasn't quite what it needed to be, or it was too rough and couldn't be sanded down well, or some other issue. I'm still really interested to see how all this turns out.

~Sister Kyoya

12926590414_996a8b87ea_o.png

Forum Blog: Badger Pocket Tales (Family story from the beginning) | { Old Family story reboot: Start Here! }

Follow me on Twitter, Flickr & Instagram

marisa_doll

I was curious why you didn't originally use the printed head directly before. I kinda wondering if the quality wasn't quite what it needed to be, or it was too rough and couldn't be sanded down well, or some other issue. I'm still really interested to see how all this turns out.

~Sister Kyoya

I just wanted the safety of knowing I could make a new copies relatively cheaply, and the possibility of selling the head as blanks.

The original is quite rough but I'm going to smooth it with a Mr. Dissolved Putty as a filler, in combination with sanding.

My SQ Hibiki

I am putting up for adoption a SQ-Lab Ren head on flickr. Contact me for more details!

zakka

Why not just use an auto-body primer to refinish the surface of the head and make a mold for resin through the original? This seems much cheaper. On the plus side, if you were to use the original method with a resin master, silicone can be cut up and reused as filler for molds. I did this quite a bit, I just recently cast my first resin doll.

marisa_doll

Well guys, I tried painting the headcap and it came out, oddly enough, looking like I painted it!

So I don't think painting is the option; unless I thin the paint loads and layer it up, but I can't get the surface smooth enough, the material just seems to be infinite layers when you try to sand it smooth.

Casting seems to be the only way I'd be able to achieve a high quality finish but... well... I don't think I have the skills to cast it properly

If anyone out there wants to try casting for me, give me a PM. Otherwise, I can't continue until I have a loooot more free time. Gotta have my priorities straight

My SQ Hibiki

Lala Lolita

Wow this is super awesome! I'm sooo looking forward to seeing this finished.

@blushingbjd

Shailara

Hmmm, I'm really wondering if sanding can't make it smooth...

(\_/)
( ' .' ) 
( uu)

misskale

This is a silly question but, couldn't you take a negative mould, press in paper/air dry clay and sand?