Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

jadepixel

Dolly Sewing Book -DollfieDream-

jadepixel
I was looking at the book again, and wishing I could understand the text. It looks like everything is clearly explained, but I can't figure it out! What is going on with the fabric in the plastic bag, for example?

I think they put fabric in a bag after washing and ironing it, so it doesn't get dirt/lint while being stored. Makes sense if you are worried about stains.

Amara77

I think I'm going to give it a go, and buy it. I'd like to see some more scans, but hopefully if O have trouble someone can help explain it. ^_^

http://amara77.wordpress.com blog and shop

Spoke too soon....

faustbane

Got my book in the mail today and a few observations for anyone else considering it.

If you are a beginner sewer AND cannot read Japanese nor have someone to translate for you,

I'm not sure how much you'll be able to glean from JUST the pictures. I'm an intermediate sewer

that cannot read Japanese and I've had to scratch my head a few times to figure the patterns out.

That being said, something that's helped me a lot is using a photo translating app called Camdictionary.

Though, it really only translates horizontal Japanese text. Another thing I did was trace my patterns

with tracing paper on top, pattern under that, carbon copy paper under that, and cardstock on the bottom. This gives me two copies of the pattern in one tracing and is easier than using say printer paper. Finally, for the beginner sewers, something that almost tripped me up was that the skirt piece comes in two parts. You're supposed to line up the stars and continue tracing the two pieces as one piece.

One things that didn't make sense to me was the bib piece for the first two dresses. I understand you're supposed to use interfacing but do you use double sided and attach it to the garment as an applique' or do you sew it on? Also, how do you finish the edge of it? Is it just left unfinished and hidden by the lace that they put on?

signature_zps61fd7633.jpg

katnaper

Anyone have photos of the outfits they made from the book? Would love to see what others have done (not that I've even started on any of mine... huhuhu)

35627757593_19f2b2cd8a_n.jpg

We have our own BLOG. Please visit us at the House of Nyan by clicking this link or our sig above. See you there. Or, come see what Nyanko-sensei is up to at the Katnaper's Den

Harleyquinne

I got mine earlier this week - been so busy though I haven't had a chance to test out the patterns yet.

jadepixel

I'm testing out the one piece L bust miniskirt, but nothing to show yet.

For the bib, there are two pieces- one that you cut on a fold for fabric, and a shorter piece that is for a paper template. I cut notches around the fabric curves and folded and ironed them around the edge of the template piece. Then I topstitched the fabric part on to the front along with lace trim. That was what I interpreted from the instructions, it seems to work. For curved pieces I usually just double up and turn them since there's less room for error, not sure what the advantage of the template is, really.

Oh, and I have a pretty good list of the translated kanji from the pattern pieces, it's on my website

PrettyCranium
I'm testing out the one piece L bust miniskirt, but nothing to show yet.

For the bib, there are two pieces- one that you cut on a fold for fabric, and a shorter piece that is for a paper template. I cut notches around the fabric curves and folded and ironed them around the edge of the template piece. Then I topstitched the fabric part on to the front along with lace trim. That was what I interpreted from the instructions, it seems to work. For curved pieces I usually just double up and turn them since there's less room for error, not sure what the advantage of the template is, really.

Oh, and I have a pretty good list of the translated kanji from the pattern pieces, it's on my website

Thanks for the kanji help, that is very useful.

PrettyCranium

What are the bits on the pattern that are grey or light pink (coloured in)?

finnleo

If im not mistaken by what you mean, those were to cut out the heat-iron glue sheet to be put in the closing lines, in order to get the outfits closed without a noticebale sewing line.

(or so I gathered)

PrettyCranium

If im not mistaken by what you mean, those were to cut out the heat-iron glue sheet to be put in the closing lines, in order to get the outfits closed without a noticebale sewing line.

(or so I gathered)

Hmm. So the raw edge is exposed? Or is it bent over? I wasn't even aware of needing the iron on sheets! I suppose the chances of Volks putting out an English version of this book is slim.

Edit: I guess you bend and iron together the seam instead of sewing.

jadepixel

Yes, those parts are for interfacing, but I'm not totally clear on how they're using it. Since you do sew those edges, it may be just to stabilize the fasteners and strengthen the seam.

PrettyCranium
Finished the L-bust onepiece miniskirt and petticoat! You have to be pretty precise to make sure the inside is completely lined. Still working on cuffs and apron

tumblr_moqc4mX1R71s3jsg5o1_500.jpg

This looks awesome! So nice! Tutorial please? I'm seriously jealous of your ability to make this.

jadepixel

Thanks! I'm just going by the pictures in the instructions and what little I can make of the text.

If there's a place that you're stuck on I can explain what I did. It took a lot of hours to reach this point. I'm going to take a sewing break for a bit after I wrap this up, whew!

PrettyCranium
Thanks! I'm just going by the pictures in the instructions and what little I can make of the text.

If there's a place that you're stuck on I can explain what I did. It took a lot of hours to reach this point. I'm going to take a sewing break for a bit after I wrap this up, whew!

I can only imagine the amount of hours that went into getting to this point. I'm a very, very new sewer, so for me it often involves blood, sweat and tears. Please keep us updated with your progress, it gives me encouragement to see how nicely it can turn out.

katnaper

That looks so awesome. Thanks for posting your photo, keeps me motivated to keep on trying to learn to sew better.

35627757593_19f2b2cd8a_n.jpg

We have our own BLOG. Please visit us at the House of Nyan by clicking this link or our sig above. See you there. Or, come see what Nyanko-sensei is up to at the Katnaper's Den

Amara77

It looks really good! I want to get the book still, but I don't think I'll be able to figure it out T_T

Spoke too soon....

faustbane

485577_10151652370902148_132140289_n_zpsbf84258d.jpg

I was going to wait till I did more work on this to post it here but for anyone who's curious, this is what the finished long maid dress looks like on DDdy. I still need to make the cuffs, pannier, and apron though.

Amara77
485577_10151652370902148_132140289_n_zpsbf84258d.jpg

I was going to wait till I did more work on this to post it here but for anyone who's curious, this is what the finished long maid dress looks like on DDdy. I still need to make the cuffs, pannier, and apron though.

It looks very nice! good job!!! Was it difficult for you to make?

Spoke too soon....

Amara77

She's so pretty! You also did a wonderful job. I don't think I'd be able to figure out how to make these with it in Japanese I'm far to inexperienced a sewer

Spoke too soon....

animagic4u

I just got this book yesterday. Can't wait to try it out!! :3

Dollfie Dream: Rei (DDdy, HDD04), Mikila (DDII, HDD04), Haruka (Ob50, DDS Millhiore), Shimamura Uzuki

Pure Neemo: Sayuri, Ayu, Alice

Resin: Terra, Koharu, Aki

faustbane

It looks very nice! good job!!! Was it difficult for you to make?

Not really. You have to be very meticulous and patient to get a good end product but that's the same for any sewing project. I can't read Japanese but I am an intermediate sewer so just looking at pictures was enough for me to figure it out. Something I wish I would have done while attaching the lining was using black on the top bobbin and white on the bottom so that the interior is completely stain proof but she hasn't stained yet and has been wearing it for a few weeks now so I think it's probably fine.

animagic4u

9210814161_a957989257_z.jpg

First try today. ^_^;

Accidentally used the wrong skirt pattern. orz

I want to try to make more!!

Dollfie Dream: Rei (DDdy, HDD04), Mikila (DDII, HDD04), Haruka (Ob50, DDS Millhiore), Shimamura Uzuki

Pure Neemo: Sayuri, Ayu, Alice

Resin: Terra, Koharu, Aki

jadepixel

Nice work! I like the daffodil color and matching hairclippies

I want to try it in blue and make an Alice type dress next. I'm sure there are other cool uses for these patterns as well.