Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

ArcticKitsune

DD Presence

ArcticKitsune

I'm highly curious if any doll owner here have felt or feel some sort of presence from their Dollfies. For example, when you look around your room, most likely when they're doing "human" things, do you feel any sort of presence from them? Could you mistake them for the living? Maybe you don't notice because they're being displayed like statue figures?

Every time I looked at Varakitsu laying in my bed, sitting next to a pillow, sitting in my chair (which I have to reclaim after), or doing anything human-like I tend to feel as if I have some sort of living entity in my room, yet not living. She looks close to being quite lively, behaving a bit lively even on her own at times. She's even large enough that I can at times mistake her for a living entity.

I think another time I felt such similar presence was when I armored up my Busou Shinki figures (15 cm by Konami JP) that they looked as if they would spring alive any moment. I guess that's different than what I'm trying to ask you.

How about you? Don't be shy! I'm curious, and wanting to see if it is something I get within the first few months or if it tends to last longer as your Dollfie gains more character.

The proud master of a foxy (DD) Varakitsu, Renge, & Caster; Kon!~ Kon!

donpablo

I think I may have a hard time feeling any presence from Cirno while she's stuck inside a display cabinet haha!

She does have some semblance of presence just due to her sheer size and what she is. Everyone who walks into my room always do a double-take when they see her.

Yuan

I'll see what happens when Holo finally arrives, but with my resins it was certainly there at first -they're so big and they look like little people, it wasn't until the 'novelty' wore off that I stopped feeling quite so weird about it. They do bring a nice touch to the room, I always have one on my desk at home.

marisa_doll

That's an interesting thought you bring

Certainly I would say my girl has a 'presence'. Like if I put a book on my lap it just feels like like a book. Inanimate, static. But if I feel the weight of Hibiki on my lap, it has that strange tingly sensation of 'living'... like what I would feel when my sister falls asleep on my shoulder!

My SQ Hibiki

I am putting up for adoption a SQ-Lab Ren head on flickr. Contact me for more details!

jadepixel

Even if they are dolls I tend to give my girls a little modesty. I usually have one girl near my sewing machine for modeling clothes as I sew, but rather than leave her standing around half naked I feel obliged to give her some modest cover-up before I leave. I don't like to leave my DD girls in compromising situations

JChiibs

I definitely agree that they are more than mere vinyl and paint. Raven and I don't have a spot that's 'dolls only' so we move them around all the time. They sit on the computer desk or my sewing table, sit in the window once the sun isn't shining in, on the ironing board when I'm working on sewing clothes, and they often hog the guest bed that's in my sewing room. I'm really glad to have them because they keep me company at night when Raven is at work. otherwise I'd get pretty freaked out. They all have their distinct personalities and aren't afraid to hide them. Tamayuki often gets upset at me if I don't take him with me when I go to bed (his bed is in our bedroom) and instead leave him upstairs with his sisters. One night he did not like that idea and threatened to cry if he couldn't come with me.

So yes, I'd surely say that they have a presence.

~Sister Kyoya

12926590414_996a8b87ea_o.png

Forum Blog: Badger Pocket Tales (Family story from the beginning) | { Old Family story reboot: Start Here! }

Follow me on Twitter, Flickr & Instagram

crimsoncat
Even if they are dolls I tend to give my girls a little modesty. I usually have one girl near my sewing machine for modeling clothes as I sew, but rather than leave her standing around half naked I feel obliged to give her some modest cover-up before I leave. I don't like to leave my DD girls in compromising situations

I second this. Even when my girls are put away in their carrier I feel like I must have some underwear on them or at least some blanket covering them. It's like I worry they'd be cold without it....

snooze_button_cat.png

aiRreyes

Even though my girls Soleil and Lilith are inside a carrier, whenever I'll get them I can feel how happy they are to be free from the bag once again xD changing clothes and wigs for a photoshoot I somehow feel that they like this wig or this outfit and even when they don't like the clothes or color of outfit I'm putting on them

Try watching the movie "The Doll Master"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skrJhqV6hO8

I learned there that "a dolls eyes are their souls" sounds a bit freaky but its a good movie

6853819370_62b89ea6a5_t.jpg

Home: ~Soleil~ (DD Sendo Erika) ~Lilith~ (DDS Melty) ~Quinzel~ (DDH-07) ~Haruka~ (DD Mio)

baldylox

Oh yeah, I definitely feel that my girls have their own presence. Some are stronger than others too.... Manami of course is the most "vocal" of my girls but others are pretty up front about things too.

I tend to treat my girls as their own entities and persons. I talk to them, change their clothes regularly, do photo shoots with them and pat their heads and tell them good morning and goodnight. And if I don't do those things, I feel something's missing. I also feel like I neglect them if I don't talk to them or show them some sort of attention. So that all points to them having their own auras and presence.

I think half the fun of this hobby is that the girls we adopt and/or create DO have their own personalities that shine thru and let us know who they are and what they want..... which is mostly cookies, beer and hugs.

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

JChiibs
And if I don't do those things, I feel something's missing.

This is exactly why I treat my DD the way I do and a small fact why non-doll people don't understand my fascination with DD.

~Sister Kyoya

Forum Blog: Badger Pocket Tales (Family story from the beginning) | { Old Family story reboot: Start Here! }

DJStarstryker

Sometimes the dolls look like they're smiling and sometimes they look grumpy and sometimes they look serious. With the same exact faceup. I know it's partly lighting and pose for this. But I swear that they can be sitting in the same place, with the same pose, with the same lighting, and they can look like they have a different expression than they did an hour previously. Like they're thinking about something or trying to talk to you.

So, yes, I think dolls have a presence. Each doll we have in the house seems to have a different presence, but considering they're supposed to all have different personalities, I suppose this fits!

Are you ready to rock? ^_^

Yukamina

Hmmmm... I've never thought my dolls were alive, but they do have presence that inanimate objects don't... I try to pose them naturally, but I think of them more like a real world character drawing than a real little person. I think my resin BJDs look more 'alive' because of their more realistic eyes and the fact that I position the eyes so it looks like they are glancing to the side (sometimes it looks like they are looking at me, or at each other). DD eyes are usually looking straight out which isn't as interactive, imho, unless they are directly facing me (Mila gives me the most piercing stare, yikes)

I think they have more presence too if I am holding them in my lap. Actually, the plushies I make have a sense of presence too sometimes. When I'm hand stitching the final details, it kinda feels like I have a little animal on my lap, ha ha.

Averis

I was actually very surprised by how much "presence" my first girl had when I got her. I didn't know what to expect and the size and weight was more than I imagined.

Now that I have more of them and have had them for a while, I've become more used to them being around. But out of all the things I own, especially compared to smaller figures, they still are on a different level. It's hard to explain but they feel more "there" than other figures I have. I think their size plays a big part of that. They take up space, need to be dressed and cared for (stain prevention), hair needs to be combed etc. All these things make them more than just another object in my room. So while they aren't alive, they require a lot of the same considerations something that was alive would need (minus food and such). All these things add up to being more than just a simple object. Of course it's mostly dependent on how much we put into it. If you neglected them they would obviously not feel as important. I think it's pretty much a natural reaction we have to anything we care for. Since they are so "human like" we gain similar feelings to them we would to people. But they are probably in the uncanny valley where we know rationally that they are still not alive.

That's my take on it anyway.

Nanoza

They are to me basically real people. then again, I am freaking insane.

JChiibs

Averis- I really don't think it could have been said better than you did.

Same here, but I'm not insane. I just choose to live in a different reality.

~Sister Kyoya

battrastard

~Sister Kyoya

I'll second this..... It's still strange after nearly a year and a half, but I do feel like I neglected the kiddos if I didn't say goodbye when I go to work.

They do bring a smile to my face when I get home, saying a Hello to them when I open the door to my room.

Yeah, they bring a presence that I'd miss if they weren't here....

"Madness takes it's toll, Please have exact change!"

aiRreyes

~Sister Kyoya

Count me in as well I think majority in the community would agree with this xD

I sound crazy but I do wish my dolls would be alive xD like the Rozen Maidens, it's nice for you to have a bonding moments with your dolls

6853819370_62b89ea6a5_t.jpg

Home: ~Soleil~ (DD Sendo Erika) ~Lilith~ (DDS Melty) ~Quinzel~ (DDH-07) ~Haruka~ (DD Mio)

Ravendruid

I'll second this..... It's still strange after nearly a year and a half, but I do feel like I neglected the kiddos if I didn't say goodbye when I go to work.

They do bring a smile to my face when I get home, saying a Hello to them when I open the door to my room.

Yeah, they bring a presence that I'd miss if they weren't here....

I feel really guilty if I get to work and realize that I didn't at least give Yuriko a pat on the head when I woke up that evening (I work night shift), and when I get home in the morning, if SK is still asleep, usually the first thing I do is say hi to Yuriko and give her a hug, and often the other kids, too. Also, until I go to bed or SK wakes up, whichever comes first, I pretty much have at least one of the DDs (Usually, but not always, Yuriko) following me into whichever room I'm in to keep me company.

I certainly notice when they're there and when they're not. They definitely have their own personalities, as well, although some are a bit quieter than others.

Daddy of: Yuriko, Sohi, Miku and SK's many kids

12437295384_b307eb5ce8.jpg