The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

babytarragon

How do you feel about (straight) female collectors?

galatia9
But I feel like some of you are so down on female owners who like male BJDs ;_; Like, it's not weird to like dolls that aren't frilly girls. And here we are with a lot of male DD owners, so why criticize girls for liking male dolls?

I LOVE my male resin BJDs! I think they're gorgeous, and I find it much easier to choose male dolls than females. But I don't take photos of them with no clothes on and expect other women to drool on them. There's a time and place for nude dolls, when I want to appreciate their beauty and sculpts, or when it's appropriate to the situation since I am very much into their characters and stories. They don't spend their lives naked. Neither do my girls.

Though my DDs DO spend a lot of their time bald, because I don't want their wigs to stain their heads! LOL!

Linda S.

galatia9

DDH03 girl DDH07 x2 boys DDH06 girl DDH-05 x2 boys

DDH01 mod girl Saber Alter SqLab Tsubaki boy DDH-02 girl

Mio Honda Youmu Konpaku x2 boy twins

Also: DDS Lagla, Sheryl Nome, SmD Melody, SmD Eiji x2

marionbearmaker

Come to Ohiooooooooo (cause that's totally about as feasible as me flying to France). You and I need to babble about teh frillies! The male collectors here (Matt, that's you) are clothes horses just like the girls.

The most inappropriate our Aug meet-up ever got was when I started admiring the detailing on a pair of Melty's underwear. I couldn't believe how beautifully intricate they were for doll clothing! I wish people put half as much effort into clothing for people. The tiny bows were so perfect! I wish they would make them into hair clips.

Volks, why you no make more hair clips? I have to buy them from Forever 21 and Claire's!

Well, I'll be living in North California soon (in two weeks !) , but it seems to be quite far away from Ohio too , a little less, though . I think I shoud pm you at least !

I don't think I can attend the SF meets... I don't know exactly what a "sexed up romp" is but I guess it's not for me ^^ (I don't want to be a fun-spoiler by any mean ).

As for DD handling, I do the same with my DDs as with my resin dolls : wearing gloves most of the time and being super careful, letting them nude in their plastic bags in between photo shoots... I wouldn't play with them a lot either at meets, I guess the fragile resin dolls have made some collectors over-protective .

chien

In general, I just don't play with my dolls in the sense of picking them up and just... doing things with them that are not related to yanking their heads off to redo their face-ups. It definitely is the dynamic of not only the group, but how a person enjoys their dolls. I do a proper photoshoot about once a year. My biggest enjoyment from dolls is painting them.

N2DollsNow

I will be echoing the sentiments of some previous posters when I say that as a male, I felt I was the one intruding into a female hobby (especially as it pertains to resins). So it is something of a surprise to see this question. Introduced to DDs from the anime figure collecting hobby, I should have suspected that the ties to anime of many of the character DDs would have weighted the interest to be more balanced between the genders. In any case, now that I'm somewhat acclimated to this board; I really appreciate the accepting environment here. If one enjoys them as we do, then one should be welcomed.

Valkyria

I think it's kind of ridiculous that someone's sexuality would be brought into question over a hobby like this. Liking a DD or a BJD, or any kind of doll (other than the obvious "no-no" kind) doesn't mean that one person or another is straight or not. You're entitled to enjoy your dolls however you want to, and that goes for anyone, regardless of gender or sexual orientation.

• Like 1

Aronzo96

I'm a straight female, but I'll be honest and say that I got a DD because of how cute and sexy they are. The idea of waifus intrigues me, even though it weirds some people out. My DD is going to be a cute little bunny girl, and I'm calling her my "waifu", but really she's like a cute mascot. I plan to dress her up in bikinis and sexy clothes, because that's what I imagine her personality would be and because I like the way the DD bodies look. It's kind of hard to describe what I'm going for, but it's kind of like a platonic girl-crush waifu. I wouldn't be getting her for any sexual reasons, but I still want her to be a sexy doll. If that makes sense.

• Like 1

JChiibs
I wouldn't be getting her for any sexual reasons, but I still want her to be a sexy doll. If that makes sense.

This is the very same for me and my DDdy Dakota. By far she is my DD who wears the sexiest things she can find and is far from innocent, but that's just who she is. She's my girl that wears the stuff I wish I could, but let's just say I'm not the right body type. There are so many fun styles of clothes out there that range from rather revealing to long skirt & high necked collar of the Victorian. I really don't care if my DD clothing is acceptable or not, because I make it for me. If someone has an issue with what I do with my DD, that's their problem and they have the right to not look at it. I'm in this hobby for my own enjoyment and am happy to find similarly minded people. Public opinion does not change what I do with my vinyl kids and their friends.

I like a lot of the sexy pictures because the pictures are pretty and often well set up. I still have a lot of trouble with how often the crotch shots also pop up in the same type of pictures. For me personally it just ruins it because of the squick factor. I'm sure a lot of other people would feel the same if I did those types of photo shoots with Tamayuki and Ralph. Granted it's not like I'd do that anyway, but my point is that the crotch shots is not gender specific. It would weird me out either way.

As for being a female collector, I don't see what the big deal is over gender. It's like saying that someone can't collect dolls because of their skin color or if it was weirdly based on the collector's personal attractiveness. (If you believe the media, only beautiful people can have beautiful things.) Those are all things that are decided without our personal input long before we can have an opinion on the matter. A person's physical gender has nothing to do with the gender they identify with. Even being married doesn't really define that, it just convinces the outside world.

~Sister Kyoya

12926590414_996a8b87ea_o.png

Forum Blog: Badger Pocket Tales (Family story from the beginning) | { Old Family story reboot: Start Here! }

Follow me on Twitter, Flickr & Instagram

Keijogirl
But at meets, I always noticed that once the resins have been posed on the table or where ever the setup area is, no one messes with them. It's rare to see any of them moved or played with.

I chalk it up to pose-ability and nobody wanting to break their dolls XD A lot of the larger resins aren't really meant to be played with if you think about it. Take my guy we call "The Tank" for example, (Soom - Mega Gem Ender for anybody that wants to see the reference lol), that doll is huge and weighs almost 7 lbs but he looks beastly awesome. Dolls his size are supposed to stand there and look awesome like a posable statue. You *can* play with them, but if something breaks it's going to be a(n expensive) pain to fix.

For example my guy is tan skin so I'd have resin match issues, each tan doll is colored different so if he falls and his nose dents or breaks I'd potentially need a whole new doll because another head may not match at all and if I mod it to fix it, the lower layers of resin may not match either so I might have to pay a faceup artist to make it match lol. For Normal and White resin dolls, they yellow with age so if you've got an old doll, a new hand is going to be obviously a different color most of the time I'll say depending on the age.

With resins we can break fingers and hands, chip noses, break ears, and more there are all kinds of ways to destroy resin dolls xD And the bigger and more expensive they are the harder it is to get replacement parts. I can say MSD and YoSD owners tend to play with their dolls most out of all the resin owners from what I've seen, Puki sized especially. They're the least expensive (depending on where you got it) and their parts are usually the easiest to replace.

With DDs they're a loooot more durable (as well as posable), my girls have taken tumbles that would've guaranteed the need for a new doll already if they were made of resin xD

I dunno, I chalk it up mostly to those two factors though. Posablilty and not wanting to break things lol.

------

Back on topic, I don't really see anything wrong with a straight woman making a sexy girl doll. It doesn't mean she's any less straight by any means it's just her vision of what a sexy woman looks like. To me it's like showing what you think looks cool, is what I guess I'm trying to say lol. Straight or no, male or female there's nothing wrong with that :3

lol long post escalated quickly xD

At Home: Kiyo, Hikaru , Nikko, Komaki, Miho, Kana-chan, Tamakits, Illya, Misa, Deku, Nao, Zana, Ciri, Aki, Alisa, Kana, Yuka, Kiki, Komaki (Oni Mode), Ai, Chili, NagisaDDh03Erica, Miyabi, Jun,  Haruka, Sasha, and Laila

Saving for: Accessories! Clothes! Shoes! The Works!

baldylox
I'm a straight female, but I'll be honest and say that I got a DD because of how cute and sexy they are. The idea of waifus intrigues me, even though it weirds some people out. My DD is going to be a cute little bunny girl, and I'm calling her my "waifu", but really she's like a cute mascot. I plan to dress her up in bikinis and sexy clothes, because that's what I imagine her personality would be and because I like the way the DD bodies look. It's kind of hard to describe what I'm going for, but it's kind of like a platonic girl-crush waifu. I wouldn't be getting her for any sexual reasons, but I still want her to be a sexy doll. If that makes sense.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to have your girl be sexy and fun! DD's are meant to look good in all sorts of clothing and with the L-busts and DDdy bodies, curves are a given. That's one of the wonderful things about them, you can have girls look and act like you want them to. I know you've only got one you're working on now but you can always add others later to have different looks and "feels". I do that with my girls.... I have several who do the sexy, seductive, grown up look and style while others are very conservative and quiet and never show any skin. So I go from one extreme to the other and it works out nicely. And you can always have one girl do both sexy and sweet, it's easy to pull off depending on her clothes.

So don't worry, you make perfect sense to me in wanting a sexy waifu to dress up in bikinis and sexy outfits!

Billy

• Like 1

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Aronzo96

I actually feel much more comfortable with the idea of dressing my girl up sexy, now >3< I was thinking people would think I'm weird, but I guess a doll forum is the last place people would judge you for wanting to style a doll that way. They really do have great bodies, and the dolls I already have can't pull off the more revealing clothes I'd dress a DD in.

I've had a few resin BJDs, and while resin has its benefits like stain resistance, DDs have a certain charm to them. I'm perfectly straight, but I will admit I have a tiny girl-crush on the character I came up with. She's just really dang cute.

babytarragon

Just a note, the reason I put 'straight' is because I thought it was wrong to generalise all women as 'liking men not women' and not because I'm trying to question anyone's sexuality :s

shinegamix
Just a note, the reason I put 'straight' is because I thought it was wrong to generalise all women as 'liking men not women' and not because I'm trying to question anyone's sexuality :s

its ok to experiment. in fact i will totally support you if you decide to do

making my triumphant return

MercuryLampe

I can understand babytarragon's question because there are a couple threads on DoA about how women feel about men collectors. I started out with resin dolls and still have more resin dolls, but as was pointed out, the majority of resin doll collectors appears to be women. Conversely, especially through sites like figure.fm or doll.fm, a majority of DD owners seems to be men.

I think its great to have more women in the hobby. Men and women process the world differently, so the variety of doll-based art, e.g. photography, stories, face-ups, is good. At some point though, unless stated elsewhere, it is not usually obvious whether the poster is male or female.

SchroedingersCat

It all seems perfectly normal to me. People like what they like, gender and sexual preference really shouldn't enter into the discussion IMO.

Now with +/- 15% more uncertainty!

Arkinlae

As a married (to a man) half straight female collector I can't say the idea of a mostly male market for DDs scares me, in fact I find it quite comforting, then again even before I declared myself as bi I've always been into hobbies that could be considered more male from an early age like graphic novels and gaming. At 7 I forcibly subjected my family to watching Star Wars every weekend.

In some ways I find it weirder in the resin side sometimes with most females having boys and me leaning more towards curvaceous wome hence why I love DD bodies

I can understand the apprehension with invading a male dominated space though. I have male friends in the resin hobby who've not had great treatment from other female bjd owners so it seems fair to let the men have their own 'man cave' to get away from that

SweetWitchy

[From my POV] As a (straight) female myself, I never really though I was intruding on this hobby but I think, at least in the U.S. (maybe elsewhere) it's more the other way around. I have felt very bad for males outside of Japan who feel they have to hide their hobby from others because dolls are considered primarily for females. And this view really boils my blood, because I don't think there's anything wrong with males or females, of any gender preference, playing with dolls and enjoying them.

My ex's sister has a son, who used to play with Barbies, but she would get mad at the poor kid saying he couldn't play with them. It really made me upset. I put a pair of Christmas themed bunny ears on him once in a store, and she flipped out. Anything that makes him "girly" she doesn't accept.

And then there's my brother, who makes enough money to support this hobby, but he's hidden his dolls from my family for years. I'm the only one who knows he collects them. Simply because my brother used to have a Chii from Chobits poster in his room, and my dad used to make fun of him calling him gay. Even my grandfather called him gay. Another frustrating thing. He hides anything that my family would consider "unmanly". He recently bought a DD head, but he had me pay for it, just in case.

I believe anyone of any gender should play with dolls, and this thread clearly shows everyone loves eachother~

As for the sometimes sexy images, I have no problem with this. I draw sexy women of various sizes and shapes all the time. I love drawing sexy women. While I wouldn't own one myself, I've seen gorgeous DDDys.

Ravendruid

And then there's my brother, who makes enough money to support this hobby, but he's hidden his dolls from my family for years. I'm the only one who knows he collects them. Simply because my brother used to have a Chii from Chobits poster in his room, and my dad used to make fun of him calling him gay. Even my grandfather called him gay. Another frustrating thing. He hides anything that my family would consider "unmanly". He recently bought a DD head, but he had me pay for it, just in case.

So a boy has a picture of a rather sexy girl in his room and his family thinks he's gay? OK, so she's a bit more cute than sexy but still, WTF? Seems completely backwards to me. I'm more inclined to wonder about the guys who have their walls plastered with pictures of muscular football and basketball stars.

Daddy of: Yuriko, Sohi, Miku and SK's many kids

12437295384_b307eb5ce8.jpg

shinegamix

So a boy has a picture of a rather sexy girl in his room and his family thinks he's gay? OK, so she's a bit more cute than sexy but still, WTF? Seems completely backwards to me. I'm more inclined to wonder about the guys who have their walls plastered with pictures of muscular football and basketball stars.

so what about people with a sexy girl poster, a poster of a lambo countach and a poster of jordan

making my triumphant return

Shawnee

Funny enough, I actually didn't know there were so many male owners of DD's. But it doesn't bother me at all. Afterall, if I was a guy, I'd still want them! I'm female, not straight, but I don't think anyone is "intruding." I actually think it's really neat that all types of people like to collect them.

Aoibara

As a straight female, I feel nothing wrong, because although there are more male collectors, there are actually a descent majority of straight female collectors. (I even seen fujoshi girls recreating the main characters of Otome game aka reverse harem games eg Chizuru Yukimura, Haruka Nanami.). In fact, dolls are pretty much something which is strongly associated with femininity, but there is nothing wrong with men interested in feminine hobbies. Even in Japan, many male collectors don't give a crap if there is a female collector.

I did hear one story of a straight female claiming her first limited DD when some extremely rude otakus (Possibly 2channers) tried to make her hand over the doll she has the right to own, and even tried to bribe her with money. I never heard of such incident in the western community.

One last note, I think having female followers can actually help or even possibly make new ideas and projects for the products.

TornChaos

I started with resin BJDs which is predominantly female(from what I've experienced) and I always felt a bit odd as a (mostly straight) female being completely infatuated with the mega large busted DDs and the larger busted resin dolls. It seemed the people I came in contact with(mainly females) found that to be objectifying when I just thought they were fun or enjoyed their sensuality. With the DDs, I kind of love that it seems to be predominantly male, I've always felt more comfortable with guys and felt I could relate more in interest. I have gotten strange looks and comments from male(non-doll collecting) acquaintances that didn't know me very well that were confused as to why I was so into the large breasted, "sexualized", female dolls. I just have to shrug at them, I find it fun and I LOVE the sexiness of DDs

I don't see a problem with anyone collecting whatever they want. I like my hobbies to be all inclusive and it's fun making new friends in hobbies regardless of gender.

TC

battrastard

OK, I'll throw my two cents in…..

It's been an awesome thread, and I love the opinions everyone has put up here, Y'all just ROCK!!

That's why I love this community!

Growing up as the only male among three aunts, my Mom, a female cousin and nary a father figure to

speak of, everyone had their Barbie Dolls to play with, my Mom was the one who made scads of clothing for them..

I, on the other hand, was given G.I. Joes. ( the original 12 inch sized) As an action figure……..(Home-made clothes, FTW!)

(Side note: I'm 52, straight male…)

I've never seen an "issue" when it comes to either resin OR vinyl……. OR sexual bias, when you get

right to the issue…..

It was a bit odd to first see a grown male (Danny Choo) posting pics of himself holding a large, very cute

doll.. But, then it dawned on me…. I'm old enough not to give a red rats posterior what others think about

what I do…..

Point in fact, when I first met the other "EcchiZonans" at the Pima Air and Space Museum for our (Tana and I) first meet, I was confronted by a young "gentleman" (wearing a tank-top and blue jeans) asking what

we were doing…. I, keeping constant eye contact, plainly stated that we were "Just taking pictures"….

He seemed to accept that at face value, said "cool" and walked back to his friends…

(If he'd shown more interest, I'm sure any of us would've been glad to offer more info)

How do I feel about (straight) female collectors?….

About the same as I'd feel about anyone else who enjoys these lil cuties…

"Welcome Home!"

"Madness takes it's toll, Please have exact change!"

SakuraDreams
Sometimes I have felt like maybe this isn't the hobby for me, because so many things seem to be targeted towards males and are much sexier than where my tastes and interests lie... But then I stop thinking about it. I like these dolls, I never really liked the resin dolls. I like the "anime" look to them, how it's 2D (or sometimes 3D) characters brought to life.

Tell me about it. How many times does one watch a perfectly fun anime only to have the introduction of some pedophilic underage nudity/pantyshots (almost) spoil it etc. A show like Fate Kaleid Liner Illya Prisma, is really fun to watch, expect for the moments when underage ero stuff is shoved at me. Still, one shakes ones head, one rolls ones' eyes, thinks of the whackiness of Japan and carries on watching.

So I entirely understand you. You buy the dolls not because you like the sexy stuff per se, but other things draw you in, and as it happens, the people who design these dolls/outfits also cater to people who want the erotic stuff. It's not necessary to approve of, or like every single thing about something. As it is with a friend, one can still like them, even though they may be obnoxious at times or have bizarre opinions about some things, it's not necessary to wholeheartedly embrace everything: agree to disagree. They can still remain friends.

Sometimes people may get the wrong idea, "Oh you watch Prisma Illya because you want to see little naked girls in baths", or "you buy DDs because you like unnaturally large breasts and sexualised outfits" - and that's not the case at all. One may not want to attach that label to oneself because it's simply not true in one's case. I don't watch Illya Prisma because I want to watch a little naked anime girl have a bath, neither do you buy DDs because doll erotica is your hobby or obsession. There are other reasons, but it it becomes unavoidable that to get the DD or watch the anime, one has to get through the fan service too.

Note that whether it is wrong or not to like sexy dolls or watch naked anime girls in baths is not relevant to my post. I'm using these as examples of contentious issues/labels.

At home: DD Sakura Shinguji, DDS Yukiho Hagiwara, DD Asuna, DD Rina Ogata, DDS MOMO, DDS Ranko Kanzaki.

Waiting for: Hatsune Miku

Preordered: Ranka Lee

Countdown to Hatsune Miku.

SakuraDreams
It was a bit odd to first see a grown male (Danny Choo) posting pics of himself holding a large, very cute

doll.. But, then it dawned on me…. I'm old enough not to give a red rats posterior what others think about

what I do…..

It can be odd for non obvious reasons too. I think many people could say that many of the dollfies he holds are pretty kitschy. If he were holding some doll constructed in Edo Era Japan or Victorian era France, or some some rare piece of art which sells at Sotheby's for a million or two, one would not say the same thing.

That's not to say DDs are kitschy but some people could consider a grown mans' infatuation with mass produced toys a little puerile or materialistic. Then again he is making money from this, so it's not strange at all. It's a profitable business for him.

At home: DD Sakura Shinguji, DDS Yukiho Hagiwara, DD Asuna, DD Rina Ogata, DDS MOMO, DDS Ranko Kanzaki.

Waiting for: Hatsune Miku

Preordered: Ranka Lee

Countdown to Hatsune Miku.

Amber
Sometimes I have felt like maybe this isn't the hobby for me, because so many things seem to be targeted towards males and are much sexier than where my tastes and interests lie... But then I stop thinking about it. I like these dolls, I never really liked the resin dolls. I like the "anime" look to them, how it's 2D (or sometimes 3D) characters brought to life.

Tell me about it. How many times does one watch a perfectly fun anime only to have the introduction of some pedophilic underage nudity/pantyshots (almost) spoil it etc. A show like Fate Kaleid Liner Illya Prisma, is really fun to watch, expect for the moments when underage ero stuff is shoved at me. Still, one shakes ones head, one rolls ones' eyes, thinks of the whackiness of Japan and carries on watching.

So I entirely understand you. You buy the dolls not because you like the sexy stuff per se, but other things draw you in, and as it happens, the people who design these dolls/outfits also cater to people who want the erotic stuff. It's not necessary to approve of, or like every single thing about something. As it is with a friend, one can still like them, even though they may be obnoxious at times or have bizarre opinions about some things, it's not necessary to wholeheartedly embrace everything: agree to disagree. They can still remain friends.

Sometimes people may get the wrong idea, "Oh you watch Prisma Illya because you want to see little naked girls in baths", or "you buy DDs because you like unnaturally large breasts and sexualised outfits" - and that's not the case at all. One may not want to attach that label to oneself because it's simply not true in one's case. I don't watch Illya Prisma because I want to watch a little naked anime girl have a bath, neither do you buy DDs because doll erotica is your hobby or obsession. There are other reasons, but it it becomes unavoidable that to get the DD or watch the anime, one has to get through the fan service too.

Note that whether it is wrong or not to like sexy dolls or watch naked anime girls in baths is not relevant to my post. I'm using these as examples of contentious issues/labels.

That's why I could not really get into High School of the Dead. I like zombies and horror movies a lot, but there was so much fan service. The constant panty shots and breast jiggling kept making me lose interest. I finished the first season, and maybe I would watch the second, but it will never be an anime series I really follow because of that.

I understand that the style of clothes that I like is probably not the main thing that everyone would really want... It makes it a bit harder for me to find things I like for my dolls. Although a couple of my favorite outfits have been very popular. For example, the balloon dress set outfits are not sexy at all, but it seems many people want those.

A lot of people that I have encountered in this hobby like to make their dolls a lot sexier than I ever would, and I really like how they style their girls. Many of them are really pretty and well photographed! It's just not for me, but it's not something I would hold against them or want to argue with them about. ^__^

I live in a small town outside of New Orleans, and this is a very religious area/city in general... But sometimes I feel like family friends are quietly judging me because I am a female that has dolls with large busts and short skirts. I feel like they are instantly assuming I am a lesbian, when really it's just so many people where I live are just exceedingly closed minded.

Sometimes being silently judged or having trouble finding clothes I like can be really frustrating, but I still love these dolls and I'll always be more than happy to say I own them--- even as a straight female collector. ;D

I'm glad that you understood what I was saying in my post~ ^-^