Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Talolili

Changing DD eyes

Nightmare Tea
Bring back an old subject, how is Volks eye putty?

Is it good for holding in long term?

Or should I just use the earplug tactic?

If you don't plan on changing eyes out all the time, Volks eye putty is fine. It won't ever stain the inside of your doll's head or cause any damage (discoloration or clouding) to your eyes no matter what material they are made of (glass, urethane, acrylic, etc.).

It's a bit tricky to get the eyes place perfectly at first since the putty doesn't have a lot of "stick" to it, but once the eyes are in place you can blob more putty in to hold everything in place.

My friend recently ordered a resin doll from Luts, and almost half the head was filled with putty to make sure the eyes didn't shift during shipment from Korea! That's a bit excessive, but it worked! LOL

I've been looking into changing eyes more and more recently, so thank you for the help!

And yes, that is a bit much. xD

StellarKei

Has anyone used kneaded erasers in their DDs, and if so, does it work? I use them in my resin girls.

DDH04: Elise

Kumi

I tried, they don't stick. Maybe wrong brand, didn't bother to get others.

Like I said, I'm using white Tack-It (from Faber-Castell) and it works.

Nightmare Tea

Ok, so I got her eyes out just by prying around the edges of the glue with some tweezers for half an hour.

I also notched her headcap with those same tweezers, can you tell I'm quality?

I got some of those Mack's Soft Sillicone Earplugs today, and I ordered her new eyes today too.

Now it's time to play the waiting game.

Strife212

I removed Haruhi's eyes today and put them back in because they have never been aligned properly.

It was a pretty scary experience. It took so much force to get the head open, then the glue was a real pain to get out. Then lining up the eye with white tack was really hard, it would barely stick

I did it in the end though...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/Darkwind212/after.jpg

rBP74.png

Dolls: Saber, Saber Alter, Saber Lily, Saber Extra, Saber Alter 2nd,

Aozaki Aoko, Alice Kuonji, Haruhi Suzumiya, Yuki Nagato

PlasticFantastic
I removed Haruhi's eyes today and put them back in because they have never been aligned properly.

It was a pretty scary experience. It took so much force to get the head open, then the glue was a real pain to get out. Then lining up the eye with white tack was really hard, it would barely stick

I did it in the end though...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/Darkwind212/after.jpg

It can be really tricky getting the eyes to sit just right. Patience is key! Her eyes look great, your hard work paid off! ^_^

DDForum-Signature3.jpg

Please visit my YouTube channel for helpful DD tips, tutorials, and reviews!

Nightmare Tea

I know that feeling. I felt like I was going to kill Suzie when I was trying to wrestle her headcap off.

TASfaction

As the previous post before, putty would be a fast solution that enables you to change the eyes quickly in future.

The glue would be good for long term, if you're not changing the eyes for awhile.

For the putty long term I had no problem with it falling out, as long as you don't poke or press it.

It best to get a white putty, rather than a colored blue putty, as it would probably leave a stain later on.

DD_Signature.png

battrastard

When I first had the silver eyes in Tana, I used white "Sculpey" modeling putty. It did the job and the eyes stuck fairly well, but it did eat the enamel from the 22mm. wooden beads I had used for her initial eyes. I "bit the bullet" and purchased Volks putty for the eyes she has now, though. VolksUSA might be cheaper for shipping, and I recall they had eye putty in stock...

"Madness takes it's toll, Please have exact change!"

PlasticFantastic
When I first had the silver eyes in Tana, I used white "Sculpey" modeling putty. It did the job and the eyes stuck fairly well, but it did eat the enamel from the 22mm. wooden beads I had used for her initial eyes. I "bit the bullet" and purchased Volks putty for the eyes she has now, though. VolksUSA might be cheaper for shipping, and I recall they had eye putty in stock...

Volks putty is not very good, it works better in resin heads than in the vinyl ones. There are better options!

DDForum-Signature3.jpg

AgentPanda

I was playing around with my DDH-06 's eyes the other day and I'm finding I dont like using the white tack in her.

While I have silicone earplugs at home (clear bought from shoppers drugmart) I was a little worried about using them in her.

This seems so strange to ask since by reading through here it seems most who have used the silicone ear plugs havent had any problems but I heard the soft headcap has had some interesting reaction to silicone wig caps and I was worried that the silicone ear plugs might also react with it, not that it would be touching it but best to be sure right? I'd really like to use the silicone as I find its beautiful to work with in my resin dolls but I thought I'd ask here before moving forward with using it in my DDH-06 (sorry were having a bit of a naming issue right now trying to pick the right one but thats another topic!).

Instagram: littlemisswolf

PlasticFantastic
I was playing around with my DDH-06 's eyes the other day and I'm finding I dont like using the white tack in her.

While I have silicone earplugs at home (clear bought from shoppers drugmart) I was a little worried about using them in her.

This seems so strange to ask since by reading through here it seems most who have used the silicone ear plugs havent had any problems but I heard the soft headcap has had some interesting reaction to silicone wig caps and I was worried that the silicone ear plugs might also react with it, not that it would be touching it but best to be sure right? I'd really like to use the silicone as I find its beautiful to work with in my resin dolls but I thought I'd ask here before moving forward with using it in my DDH-06 (sorry were having a bit of a naming issue right now trying to pick the right one but thats another topic!).

I use silicone ear plugs in my DDH06, and right now she's also wearing a silicone headcap with a fabric one overtop since she has a dark wig on. I haven't had any issues. ^_^

DDForum-Signature3.jpg

AgentPanda

Thanks for the info! I figured asking here would be a safe source, this will make her eyes much easier for me to position

Instagram: littlemisswolf

milkytea

For those who use silicone earplugs, about how many do you use per doll? One? Half of one? Two? Thanks~ ♥

PlasticFantastic
For those who use silicone earplugs, about how many do you use per doll? One? Half of one? Two? Thanks~ ♥

Generally half of a plug per eye works. It's really good at holding the eyes in place so you shouldn't need to use more than one plug for two eyes. ^_^

DDForum-Signature3.jpg

Nightmare Tea

I used one per eye because I wanted to make sure it would stay in.

Less would work, too.

gaiaswill

@PlasticFantastic

How long has the silicone earplugs been in your girl? I'm interested in switching to them but am concerned about longer-term damage. (I'm still using hot glue now.)

Janeway

I use the clear silicone ear plugs as well for eye putty. I like them better then the volks putty.

gaiaswill

Same question to you also, Jane. How long have the plugs been in your girls?

Nekopon

What do you guys suggest for removing the original gluing they do on the eyes?

The girl at the store told me to use: http://www.volksusa.com/matx20.html

But I'm afraid that stuff will mess up the make up.

There were also suggestions here to use a hair dryer or put it in the freezer?

What other methods have you guys used?

PrettyCranium

I use a hair dryer to warm up the glue and then peel it off.

Janeway

gaiaswill not that long and the head that l'v got is a volks number 4. I'v order some 22m eye for this head due to she going to be Rini. Oh and l got the stuff at the drug store as well.

PlasticFantastic
@PlasticFantastic

How long has the silicone earplugs been in your girl? I'm interested in switching to them but am concerned about longer-term damage. (I'm still using hot glue now.)

Sorry, I've been MIA so I hadn't seen this.

My girls have had silicone plugs in their heads for over a year in some cases. I've had no damage or any strange effects. It's been over half a year now for some of my newer heads. Airy and Neris have had it in since Sept 2011, my 06 has had it in for about 5 months now with no issues.

I hope that helps answer your questions.

DDForum-Signature3.jpg

archangeli
@PlasticFantastic

My Airy has had silicone ear plugs as eye putty since last August (so coming up on almost a year) with no adverse affect to the eyes (they are Volks ones) or the inside of her head.

What do you guys suggest for removing the original gluing they do on the eyes?

The girl at the store told me to use: http://www.volksusa.com/matx20.html

But I'm afraid that stuff will mess up the make up.

There were also suggestions here to use a hair dryer or put it in the freezer?

What other methods have you guys used?

Which head are you trying to get the glue out of? For the new "soft" vinyl heads (everything after Airy and Neris from last May) it's really easy. You don't need paint thinner - if you kind of squeeze the head by the ears and gently pick at the glue it will come out very cleanly. The glue for my Airy came out all in one piece!

5833545885_d702b777f8_z.jpg

For older head models it requires a bit more patience but it's not necessary to use the paint thinner. In fact, I really don't recommend it because if you get that on the faceup it will ruin it

8450151887_2e94dd76fd_n.jpg

Archangeli.net | Twitter: @MsArchangeli | YouTube: Archangeli

shinegamix

i can confirm what arch angeli says. my ddh06 2011 head is soft too. was a real pain when i was puttying the eyes on

making my triumphant return