Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

SakuraRose

Feedback for Danny Choo

SakuraRose

Decided to make this thread since we got pretty off-topic on the Haruka/Kanata thread. ^^"

The general consensus in this community seems to disapprove of Danny's recent behaviour. He's been quite rude and dismissive towards his customers, and I saw that some of our members want to discuss that with him. I'm sure most of us don't want to see his business fail and want to support him, so let's discuss our course of action here.

Shailara

There is one thing that I read today and I think if it's true, we should bring it to his attention, possibly together with this email, just in case if he doesn't brush it off, he'll take this matter seriously also. I read that his face up artists wither don't seal the head before they start painting or do a horrible job at it, resulting in very badly stained heads of you want a custom face-up... is this true? Shouldn't we speak to Danny about this if it is true? I know he doesn't seem to care about us wanting to customize our dolls but... what if there's an accident and part of the face-up chips off so it NEEDS to be changed? And at the end of the day, they're supposed to be professionals and I doing something that directly harms their own product is not very professional now is it?

(\_/)
( ' .' ) 
( uu)

koolgalblue

I'd just make it clear that brushing off customers, and just being very rude and dismissive in general is off putting. It makes people not feel comfortable supporting the brand

• Like 1

Currently at home: Kagamine Len, Kirito, 06 head, Akira head.

Noxxbunny

As a non SmD customer, I guess I can put in my two cents as to why I'm not one in terms of the brand.

Number 1 being his attitude lately. It's off-putting and unsettling. I prefer a faceless brush off from a brand like Volks when something goes wrong as opposed to having Danny sic his fanbase on you if he doesn't like something you say. Even if he doesn't post names, it's not professional and what is there to gain by shaming your customers? I avoid anyone in this hobby who acts like that. And the jabs at Volks aren't a good look either. Especially when he's learning that his business model will probably have to become more like theirs by the day. Be confident in what you make. If your product is good, it will speak for itself. Jabbing at the competition makes me feel like he's trying to convince me the stuff is good rather than asserting that it's good. (If that makes sense.)

Number 2, inconsistent release schedule, clickwar, and sudden cancellations of projects. As someone with a trash internet connection, there is nothing I hate more than a clickwar. Combine that with never knowing when a doll is actually being released...and it's just a confusing mess that leads to disappointment. How are you supposed to purchase a doll you want this way? When you never know when it's going to be released and then you have to buy as fast as you can to beat other people to it.

Constant cancellation and putting projects aside is the main reason why I don't have a SmD. Every time I like an idea...Danny never releases it! First he cut the robotics, then he put Pocket Doll on the back burner. I don't think Mirai Mannequin will ever be more than a one-off at this rate. He's pushing back release dates of info on Cortex. Anything I actually want from this company...I can't have! And that's something that needs to be looked at. Stop announcing something new every week and finish the backlog first. There needs to be consistent scheduling for new releases. I have taken a "I'll believe it when I see it" approach to anything new he announces because it's not always gonna make it to production apparently. There just needs to be organization. Start a monthly newsletter and only release info when you have it or something, you know?

Generally, I just find it difficult all around to purchase a SmD(Both for personal and logistical reasons. I also find it very difficult to navigate which doll is which. I only know I like Starlight OR Sana, but I forget which is even which!) And if Danny keeps up the attitude in public the way he has, I probably won't ever buy one from him directly and will stick to secondhand if I ever decide I really want one.

I hope that didn't come across as too harsh, but it's just disheartening to see how he handles stuff sometimes. The brand has great potential, but stuff needs to get in line.

• Like 1

Current Crew: Kaito(DDH07), Miles(DDH06), Lyca(DDH-10), Hotaru(DDH09), Kagamine Rin, Maron(DDH01), Mikuo(Snow Miku), Nagisa(DDH01)

SakuraRose
I read that his face up artists wither don't seal the head before they start painting or do a horrible job at it, resulting in very badly stained heads of you want a custom face-up... is this true?

This is definitely information I'd like to confirm. Although Volks doesn't actually seal their faceups either, I'm pretty sure it's done by machine and it's very difficult to remove. We do see plenty of custom faceups of DDs, so they probably don't stain right?

I've seen a video of how SmDs are painted and their faceups are airbrushed on. I suppose that would be easier to remove? That would also mean the paint would be more likely to chip without a sealant. There are definitely custom painted SmDs floating around, but there is the possibility that faceup artists had to treat the stains first. I actually plan on repainting one, so maybe I can report back on it. Or someone who tried can provide us their experience.

If I do end up with stains though...let's mention that in the email.

I hope that didn't come across as too harsh, but it's just disheartening to see how he handles stuff sometimes. The brand has great potential, but stuff needs to get in line.

I definitely don't think you're too harsh. Those are two points that are being brought up the most as they are indeed concerning.

bbotss
I read that his face up artists wither don't seal the head before they start painting or do a horrible job at it, resulting in very badly stained heads of you want a custom face-up... is this true?

I actually plan on repainting one, so maybe I can report back on it. Or someone who tried can provide us their experience.

I would be interested to hear how it goes with your repainting (or anybody else's). I intend to get a Smartdoll sometime and will probably customize it, but if the head is going to be stained badly in the process I think I'd just stick to getting a body. I still prefer DDs overall, but my brain keeps telling me I need a Smartdoll body just for collection purposes xD

marishade

I think this will be good guys!

I am up way past my bed time so I am not going to say much else right now. I own two Smart Dolls and planned on buying 3 more, but when Danny is coming across as whiny or 'blaming the community" or something it makes me reconsider giving him money. I LOVE Smart Dolls (at least some versions) and I want to enjoy the brand. But when he uses a loud speaker to call-out everyone, even people who are just browsing the store without saying a word. . . it kinda throws me off.

KonekoHigure

Hi all,

I've read your posts on both topics and I like the idea of reporting our thoughts to Danny Choo. Even if I'm not a Customer, I'd like to participate too.

I've been disappointed a lot by Danny Choo's behaviour towards his customers. You've already quoted some examples of it. Customers shaming should be a thing he really needs to avoid and I definitely doesn't know why his fans supported him in doing it (Yep, I'm refferring to this screen of the customers who ordered Julia. I only saw someone passionnate, very excited by getting this doll and yes, she was clumsy with her words but there was no offense. Shaming her and cancelling her order just because of that, please...). If he doesn't know how to answer professionnally, he should hire someone to do it for him. It's mainly why I avoid buying from him.

After that comes his release's planning which is - we need to admit - a real mess. (I've read yesterday that Symphony (the tea version of Melody) was gonna be released in limited quantities supposed to be up for sale... yesterday. LOL. ) I think it's mainly because he starts a lot of projects at the same time - or really close dates. He does too much at the same time so there are release delays, projects cancellations (we still don't know if he does because... no communication after the teasers?), projects achievement delays... He's really lacking of organization. I know new projects are appealing but if he tends to not achieved things he announces, it'll be hard... really...

As Noxxbunny does, I was also waiting for the Pocket SmD. I don't understand why Danny started with Mirai Mannequin because producing Mirai Mannequin takes more time, costs more, for a smaller market (with the price only, there aren't that much people that can buy one, am I wrong?) and stock costs are higher than a classic SmD. With his "tease and no news before a while or no news at all or news if there's a hype about it and he's willing to" habits, I thing it's normal to tend to say his products (clothes aside) probably won't be released when he teases something. Less and less hype about things if he continues, I guess.

Also I don't mind his business becoming more like other companies (even if, please, you should have known that it'd happen by creating a reference for each make-up. There is a reason why companies doesn't make unlimited stocks and usually do a reference per mold with make-up options (mostly resin side) or only one make-up per mold.) But he should have done a newsletter and a post on his website stating the change. People - me included - won't have complained that much if he stated it earlier.

There we are: lacks of communication again.

That's all what comes to my mind for now. I'll add another post if something else comes up.

Anyway, I hope Danny Choo will not throw our mails and that it'll change something somehow.

At home: Ashura (DD Ruri) - Nova (DDS Alice Kuonji)

ektorp

As a Smart Doll owner with 4 dolls, I was disappointed to see how Danny reacted to his fans. I usually brush off his shenanigans but this one really irked me. Displaying this outburst on social media is risky when it's your

primary tool for marketing. I hope he realizes this...and hasn't he gained any insight from reading all these intellectual books?

Shailara

I saw someone post about the face-up deal on Facebook, I don't have an SmD, so I can't confirm myself. I am pretty sure Volks does seal their heads before they start painting (airbrush or not). Otherwise they would all be really badly stained. When removing a DD face-up, you have to be careful to swipe upwards instead of sideways, so that you don't move the color towards parts where the sealant has been cleaned off, or they'll stain easily. At least, that's my experience, but we can't confirm anything for sure, unless Volks tells us. I'd also like to know of your experience, Chronos Rose, although I think we need more evidence than one person (cause maybe it'll be coincidence if yours hasn't stained, for example).

Me and my friend are also on board for the disappointment that the Pocket SmDs were. I wouldn't mind even if he made them with the cheaper plastic he is making, if tiny Vinyl dolls are too expensive to produce and sell for a reasonable price. Or you know, if the price was the problem, he could ask his very nice fanbase what they think of them costing X amount of money and judge from reactions to whether he should release it or not, since he seems to base a lot of his "release it or not release it" on what customers visiting his store think. So he should either not tease and first wait to see what reactions are, so we don't get excited over things that won't ever get released, or decide on his own instead of waiting to see what the crowd visiting his physical store think (despite that, in his own words, the USA holds the biggest share of the orders).

And maybe it's just me, but a lot of times, he seems to be "blaming" wigs and eyes for the delay in releasing dolls. So maybe he should consider selling them without? So that there's not this whole package that just delays their release by a whole year (bitteraboutSummerI'msorry) and just give us the dolls we want, at the end of the day, I don't think most of us care THAT much for the default wigs and eyes, and for those who do, they can just buy it from Danny when he releases them separately for sale. Or he could literally do what resin companies do with eyes, and just say "random pair of eyes (and wig)". This also makes it easier to get rid of stock wigs and eyes he has, and sure, someone might not like the "random" they get, but they can buy whichever wig and eyes they want at any time.

But, putting aside his "release schedule problem", I think the biggest problem is his reactions to questions and feedback, and if not anything else, we should bring this up to him. I was also appalled by the post with the Julia doll

Also, I think the posts with behavioral analysis books are more of a jab at his followers than that he actually reads them

• Like 1

(\_/)
( ' .' ) 
( uu)

Yumeiro

I've been disappointed a lot by Danny Choo's behaviour towards his customers. You've already quoted some examples of it. Customers shaming should be a thing he really needs to avoid and I definitely doesn't know why his fans supported him in doing it (Yep, I'm refferring to this screen of the customers who ordered Julia. I only saw someone passionnate, very excited by getting this doll and yes, she was clumsy with her words but there was no offense. Shaming her and cancelling her order just because of that, please...). If he doesn't know how to answer professionnally, he should hire someone to do it for him.

While I do not think it was wrong to cancel the order - some people will never be happy and therefore be more trouble than it's worth. But if he wanted to clarify with his followers/customers/fanbase what his terms are, he should have put out a link to the Design Philosophy or just make a general update on that "there are no perfect SmartDolls", or what have you. Instead of shaming...

His public tone should be neutral at the very least.

On the topic of sealing faceups. I do not know if I would consider that an issue that should be addressed along with our concerns about his attitude and social media postings. But maybe it is..? I just think it could be better asked separately.

Anyway - I have removed the default faceup on a Mirai head and I cannot say that it had stained in any way.

I removed parts of my DD Miku's default faceup, and that I felt had either stained or was just very well painted on...

Mirai's faceup was hard to remove, but not as hard as Miku's.

The release schedules needs to be mentioned, yes!

He seem to want to bring in first time doll owners with his brand, so sure, a fullset doll is more attractive then. But for the rest of us, who might not care for the eyes or wigs, it does suck when/if they are the cause for delays. Though delays happen. I think it would be better to once again stress the issue on proper communications when a delay happens.

Personally it would be nice to have the option of dolls without a set wig and eyes - like Shailara said. But it is his choice whether to make fullset-only or "no-set" - I respect that. But a lot of frustrations could be avoided as long as there is public communication on changes to the release schedule.

It doesn't feel that reassuring to have to scroll through comments/replies, to find out about the new ETA or other progress related info.

• Like 1

Rosie

My Eiji was cleaned for a new face-up not long ago and there was no staining at all, so I'm pretty sure he seals before painting them. Also I dunno where the rumour he hates customs comes from, because he's posted and featured other customs on his twitter before. But my Eiji was also one of the older releases, so can't talk for the current ones. Also if they're not sealed it's hard to make the paint stick to the head to begin with.

I also find his behaviour off-putting to say the least. I like his stuff, but I find it annoying that he announces something and then announces more stuff and then forgets about the stuff he announced first... I've been waiting for the macho chest-plate for months, had Summer been released last year I would've gotten her, but then he changed her wig and put her off for a year, meanwhile we got like 10 other girls, who were all announced after Summer...

Also his, hey here is Moonlight Kai in a limited run of 10, tomorrow! when tomorrow? Who knows!

koolgalblue

So, I just watched his Instagram videos, and he was extremely friendly. So I feel like it's just writing to us where it comes off like he's being rude. I think we could explain that text is much harder to read tone-so if he meant some thing as a dry joke, we might not get it.

Also, i third communication. I'd like to know what girls are seasonal when they're released, or a better warning than "they might come back". And I also love the idea of having a more set release schedule

Currently at home: Kagamine Len, Kirito, 06 head, Akira head.

Shailara

Perhaps then the face-up thing was just their own experience, although they even got some likes and no one questioned them, so I was like, wait is this some common knowledge that I didn't know? And even though I asked if it's true, no one told me "no it's not" on FB, so yeah, perhaps it's not true, and I'll be glad if it's not!

I understand wanting to sell full set dolls for newcomers who prefer that. But if he wants to do that, he can at least only decide on the release date AFTER he has the wigs and eyes in and ready, and not tell us "This doll with this set is going to be released in a month", and then be like "You know what? We had production problems for the wig and eyes so I'm going to delay for a year, and in that year I didn't even fix the problem, so I'm just going to change the set of wig and eyes to something no one even seems to like"

(\_/)
( ' .' ) 
( uu)

Gabriel

I'm not in the market for a Smart Doll and I don't think I will be, but I wanted to chime in since I see this sentiment over and over.

It seems new stuff is constantly teased, but never becomes reality. I recall some time back there was news about licensed dolls and a Nier Automata doll in specific. Since then, nothing. There's the recent injection plastic dolls which has been big news for a while with an imminent release date. Now, there don't seem to be any immediate plans to bring that to market. Many times I've seen people post photos of prototypes which build a lot of excitement, but then never seem to actually become something for a customer to purchase.

It's difficult to be excited when everything seems to be eventually revealed as vaporware. That's the view from someone completely outside the bubble anyway.

marishade

For the email I plan to write (with all your help), I am going to stick with the topic of his communication to the SmartDoll community (community meaning owners, future owners, previous owners, and general people who like Danny's dolls) and how it could effect newcomers 'joining' the community. I will also include a sub-topic of scheduling.

I think we will have enough to say with just those two things and adding more might make the email sound like we are just "complaining to complain" or saying "Hi Danny! Here is how you should run your business. . ." I know none of us are trying to come across that way.

This is not much of a summary but, currently we have concerns of:

1. His verbiage in both emails and social media responses seems very dismissive and rude to the community.

1a. Some members of the community would prefer radio silence to the tone in emails/SM currently.

1b. Another option is a notification page (like he used to do) on the website that states info in a neutral tone.

1c. Another option is to have an employee manage communication for him (with a more neutral tone).

2. In general, his wording on social media is very unprofessional, this would not be a big deal if SM was not one of the main ways that Danny communicates news to the community or if it was just restricted to the "Danny Choo" account and not also the "Smart Doll" account.

3. Most people understand that owning a business and dealing with demanding or vocal customers is not always "peaches and roses" but that does not mean it requires "public shaming".

3a. Public shaming makes us as customers feel uncomfortable speaking to Danny because of concern it could happen to us. This causes a sense of 'broken trust' between the customer and the Smart Doll brand.

4. His communication with the community is very inconsistent when talking about new/upcoming products.

4a. A good example of this was the Lelouch and new cocoa Moonlight releases. While Lelouch was talked about for months, many people did not know when he was put up for sale until the Deluxe edition was already sold out. As for the 10 Moonlight, he said she would be up 'tomorrow' but did not release another notification when she was actually available to purchase.

4b. There have also been projects that were teased for awhile (even given released dates) then Danny would just stop talking about them. It would take a number of community members to ask about the project before Danny admitted that either they scraped the projected or it was delayed 'for the foreseeable future". This should have been stated when that decision was made.

5. (This is a personal opinion of mine). Asking for public opinion about one decision (like clothing color, eye color, which wig you prefer on a doll) in one post, then shaming people (or showing attitude) for people who state their opinion in another post is confusing and disheartening. The community should not have to decipher when their opinions/comments are 'allowed' or not on social media.

6. Sub-topic: Scheduling as it stands now is stressful and confusing to members of the community

6a. While I believe scheduling has made improvements, it is still hard to plan and save-up money for a doll or clothing purchase when only given a few weeks notice before the official release.

6b. There is no easy-to-follow release schedule, it seems items are released 'whenever'. Sometimes this leads to several highly anticipated items all released around the same time. This can be frustrating when new products are released, a customer makes a purchase that week, then the following week more new products are released without prior notification (anyone like paying shipping twice when you could have ordered everything at once?).

6c. While Danny is great at promoting most of his new products, it is very hard to determine when (and in what order) said products will actually be available for purchase.

Did I get all the 'major' points? Anything to add/take-away/edit? This is a 'pre-draft', just trying to get thoughts together so the email is easier to write.

(Also need to work on making the concerns sound more 'neutral'.)

• Like 1

Yukamina

Quick comment on the face-up issue--Volks does not seal DD face-ups, they are airbrushed on and the paint does not stain (it can be hard to remove, but I've never seen staining). When I remove Volks face-ups, there is no sealant residue. Artist face-ups can stain from the pastels, even with sealant. I'm sure Smart Doll face-ups work like DDs, and without photo evidence that they stain, I would assume they don't use sealant and they don't stain.

Eiko82

I own 2 Smart dolls and have been a fan since 2014. I've never had a bad experience with them and I've often recommended their awesome customer service and the fact that everything is in stock.

But his recent attitude on social media has made me hesitent to promote or even buy from Smart Doll.

The first incident was the cancelled Julia order. Danny mentioned in the comments on Instagram that this person has a habit of buying 3 dolls and returning two. Some fans have used this info as a total justification of Danny's actions. Whilst I might understand not wanting such a customer, this info wasn't mentioned with the screenshot and even so, that's no excuse to publicly shame a customer like that.

The second incident has been his recent attitude to Haruka. It was bad enough that he made rude/sarcastic comments to people questioning the hair change but the wording in the newsletter was over the line. Most people were polite about it so lashing out against everyone is just not professional.

• Like 1

Living at my place: Rise (DD Rise Kujikawa), Chie (Smart Doll Mirai) and Aisha (Smart Doll Kurenai)

Bellatrix
-snip-

You got all the points.

And although I support the campaign, I suggest to keep the email as short as possible, avoiding passive-aggressive statements: we don't want him to feel "accused" by our community, but only to be informed that his recent behaviour has a impact on the fans and the customers - as such, we feel the public shaming pretty dishartening, and would prefer a more neutral approach to the matter.

Just my opinion ^_^

df64a03a777dc9f9a060ef6b286773b3-1.gif    ✩ 𝓥𝓲𝓬𝓽𝓲𝓶 𝓸𝓯 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓑𝓮𝓵𝓵𝓪𝓭𝓸𝔁 ✩

Bellatrix
The second incident has been his recent attitude to Haruka. It was bad enough that he made rude/sarcastic comments to people questioning the hair change but the wording in the newsletter was over the line. Most people were polite about it so lashing out against everyone is just not professional.

I think I missed this one...? What happened?

df64a03a777dc9f9a060ef6b286773b3-1.gif    ✩ 𝓥𝓲𝓬𝓽𝓲𝓶 𝓸𝓯 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓑𝓮𝓵𝓵𝓪𝓭𝓸𝔁 ✩

Yumeiro

I think you are awesome, marishade!

You have covered the points well.

But yes, keeping the mail short might be best. Also, perhaps add something positive at the end?

cfx

He sent out an email that I got on Monday the 14th announcing another Time Sale, and also had links to some of the added subsections on the store website. After that, the rest of the email is this, which starts off fine, but kind of deteriorates as it goes on:

I've not done it yet but Smart Dolls will be separated into Frontline and seasonal on the website. The business grew too fast and now we are bloated with too much products which takes our focus away from being creative. I want to continue to make cute Smart Dolls but that means making room for them by sacrificing some of the previous models. But I think we discussed this in the last mail.

Hmmm. This sounds like how Steve Jobs chopped a zillion products when he went back to a dying Apple. We are not dying or anything - business is good - very good but I can see that if we continue as we are without streamlining right now then things could start to go bad - very bad. Too many products is great for Long Tail but confusing for new comers - More is actually Less.

I don't plan on letting the business sink just because some folks who want me to be their doll wardrobe so I need to do what needs to be done to keep the company healthy which means keeping our selection lean - you cant imagine the amount of complaints I constantly have from folks who ask why on earth I don't keep every single product I have ever made in stock. My answer is "mmmmmmkaay....."

Actually the new complain is about Haruka's hair not being pink or height not being shorter than Mirai. You know, when I was developing Smart Doll in 2012, folks started to complain about every single aspect of my philosophy and the doll design etc etc - if I listed to them - I would have no Smart Doll and you would not be reading this email. No matter what happens in life, no matter if even the people closest to you don't believe in you - the important thing is not to convince them - but to continue to believe in yourself.

Nuff said.

I think you are awesome, marishade!

You have covered the points well.

But yes, keeping the mail short might be best. Also, perhaps add something positive at the end?

I've always liked him because, excepting this particular thing, he comes across with a fun and positive attitude. The articles about how he started his business and his philosophy I found pretty inspiring. And as pointed out a few posts above, he comes across very friendly still in his recent instagram videos. It's like the criticism just gets to him too much?

Edited by Guest

Eiko82

He released a photo of Haruka (one of his characters), Mirai's little sister a couple of days ago. Some fans were disappointed that a) she didn't have a smaller body and b) that her hair colour changed from pink to orange. When people asked why her hair wasn't pink, he responded with sarcastic comments like "it looks pink on my monitor".

Then in his email newsletter the next day, Danny mentioned the complaints about her and pretty much said something along the lines of "I do as I please. If I didn't, there would be no Smart Doll. Nuff said".

• Like 1

Living at my place: Rise (DD Rise Kujikawa), Chie (Smart Doll Mirai) and Aisha (Smart Doll Kurenai)

marishade
-snip-

You got all the points.

And although I support the campaign, I suggest to keep the email as short as possible, avoiding passive-aggressive statements: we don't want him to feel "accused" by our community, but only to be informed that his recent behaviour has a impact on the fans and the customers - as such, we feel the public shaming pretty dishartening, and would prefer a more neutral approach to the matter.

Just my opinion ^_^

I completely agree with you and Yumeiro! That is precisely why I am asking for 'assistance' with the email. One, it means it is the opinion of multiple people. Two, I know I can get very long-winded and when I write something I am passionate about and can sometimes lose my neutral tone. Again. I was not going to copy-paste that in an email and send, more just start with a baseline and neutralize the wording and minimize what is said from there.

Yuemeiro, the idea of adding a positive end-note is a good idea! I will think about things I might consider using for that in-between working (at work right now lol). I would love if you could do the same and post what you come up with!

*edited to fix grammar errors.

Shailara

I don't think it should be very short, because we don't want this to look like a poor effort of showing what is bothering us. This isn't like a text to someone "hey, this bothers me". So I don't think a long email is bad. Too long and going off topic is, but for example, the post was an approximate good length, in my opinion. I also don't think we need him to be neutral, just not be sarcastic and rude. I think using the word "polite" instead of "neutral" would be better, cause asking him to sound neutral is like asking him not to have emotions, in a sense? And I don't think that's wrong, we're human, but respect and politeness will get you a long way! You can POLITELY dismiss someone, for example, the Haruka thing, if someone asks "why isn't her wig pink", you can say "I just liked orange", it's polite enough and still kind of dismisses the question without giving a sound reason as to the change (I mean, changing things just because you want to, as the creator, is sound reason of course but I'm just trying to give an example).

(\_/)
( ' .' ) 
( uu)