Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

baldylox

The Facebook debacle & other issues

DollyDearest
3 minutes ago, LuluChan said:

Hey, you have been officially accused of stealing credit cards and issuing fraudulent chargebacks! I think that's a new one, blatantly calling people thieves. And I wonder how CJ has instant access to every buyer's full criminal history, apparently? 

Also, you are the reason for order delays while they do whatever it is that they do to determine that you have been running around stealing credit cards and other fun things. I hope you're proud, with your not liking a particular faceup, or expressing valid concerns. Now you've done it! 

/s

20211201_232656.jpg

it's official, this s&$#@ makes no sense.    so concrit =  credit card fraud     okay DC     also why are my like buttons missing?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

DollyDearest
On 11/30/2021 at 10:49 AM, BeyondTime said:

The comparison to Musk was done along the lines of he’s a successful business man who keeps face-planting on social media. It was things like Danny’s ham fisted comments likening the issues of concern to BLM (the murder of real people) to the trials and tribulations of running SmartDoll (dealing with social media angst), and his offensive comments on people with disabilities, that brought about that comparison.

The comparison was originally made around the time that Musk made comments on social media that got him sued (unsuccessfully) for defamation, and then as people were questioning his judgement he doubled down by getting stoned on a live stream of some sort, which in turn caused Tesla stock to plummet and prompted the US Air Force to launch an investigation into their own contracts with Space X.

I don’t recall anyone comparing Danny to Bezos, but I might have forgotten about it. 

Mod note: I’m explaining the context of a past comment, so this isn’t intended as any sort of political commentary, nor is it an invitation to debate the issues around the BLM movement. Please keep the no politics rule in mind when posting replies.

okay i wasn't talking about the BML movement, i was making a food joke, ya said ham fisted.   so ya know ham & bacon = food  sorry for the misunderstanding.   can I have my like button back?

BeyondTime
18 minutes ago, LuluChan said:

No other doll brand (or shop in general) seems to have these many problems!

It is possible that the others do have this problem, but they aren’t talking about it. 

18 minutes ago, LuluChan said:

Hey, you have been officially accused of stealing credit cards and issuing fraudulent chargebacks!

To be honest this rings true to me. There has been a significant uptick in retail theft in the last few weeks, plus it’s the holiday season and I’m sure shops get more theft then. There are some other reasons I think this may be legit, but I’m not going to air them since they are speculative.

Smartdolls sell fast, and I suspect they can be sold as parts pretty easily. They probably are an easy turnaround for fraudsters. 

• Like 3

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Fluffybuns

@DollyDearest I know, right? That was my first thought too. DC was like let’s try and cover all these legit “trivial” issues I ban people with by claiming they are actually orders from criminal masterminds trying to buy dolls on stolen cards and then go to complain on a forum. I’m not sure about you guys, but if you were trying to use stolen cards would you really complain about it in public and why would you even buy a doll? There’s so many more expensive and easier to get items. Seriously, the lengths he goes to gaslight people in an attempt to redeem his image. Though, that being said I still think it’s good he turned up the fraud detection so people that have been looking to get special dolls for the holidays can get them instead of scalpers, not like Smd really has lots of scalpers anyway, but still it’s good for that reason, not the gaslighting part, but the the scalper part.

Edited by Fluffybuns
To respond to the right person
  • Like 1

BeyondTime
11 minutes ago, DollyDearest said:

can I have my like button back?

No one took your like button. O_o

For the record, I got the joke and never associated it with BLM.

Edit: Did a quick check and for sure there are no restrictions on your account.

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

moerunamida
33 minutes ago, LuluChan said:

Hey, you have been officially accused of stealing credit cards and issuing fraudulent chargebacks! I think that's a new one, blatantly calling people thieves. And I wonder how CJ has instant access to every buyer's full criminal history, apparently? Also, why are there soooooo many thefts and chargebacks but only for Culture Japan? No other doll brand (or shop in general) seems to have these many problems! It's so weird and bizarre, how only they are victims to these horrible, entitled people, and no one else in the same space.

Also, you are the reason for order delays while they do whatever it is that they do to determine that you have been running around stealing credit cards and other fun things. I hope you're proud, with your not liking a particular faceup, or expressing valid concerns. Now you've done it!

I understand why some people may not be fully convinced of Danny's true nature especially if they are new to the dolly game, but this man's behavior is unforgivable. I wouldn't buy a doll even second hand anymore. No offense meant whatsoever to those of you who own them or buy them. They are beautiful dolls, but it's hard for me to ignore who's the man behind the curtain. Tainted love for sure.

@DollyDearest Try clearing your cache and cookies if it is still happening. Might be just a glitch in the matrix.

Edited by Mandie
  • Like 6

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

LuluChan
38 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

It is possible that the others do have this problem, but they aren’t talking about it. 

To be honest this rings true to me. There has been a significant uptick in retail theft in the last few weeks, plus it’s the holiday season and I’m sure shops get more theft then. There are some other reasons I think this may be legit, but I’m not going to air them since they are speculative.

Smartdolls sell fast, and I suspect they can be sold as parts pretty easily. They probably are an easy turnaround for fraudsters. 

It is possible others have this problem and are not as vocal about it, yes.

However, with how often Danny talks about this, I don't think it's a holiday issue for CJ, if it is indeed something that happens so regularly.

But mostly, what irks me is that he's clearly saying the users from this forum that got recently banned (allegedly) for posting here are criminals with a history of fraud and credit card theft. Or maybe I read that wrong, English isn't my first language, please do tell me if there was something I missed. 

• Like 1

youdawurst

Yeah while I'm not a cybersecurity professional I've interacted enough with the fraud side of IT to know that credit card fraud is going to be a thing for any business that runs credit cards, that's just how it go. And holiday season is ripe for retail fraud in particular because more sales means it's harder for people to audit their sales.  It's a really, for lack of a better word, "good" time to try a con.

I guarantee that every doll realtor has this problem, whether they talk about it openly or not.  I think most businesses take the position that it makes them look more "secure" if they don't talk about how often they are breached.  I also think those businesses are wrong, but maybe that's why I'm not rich. 

BeyondTime
4 minutes ago, LuluChan said:

Or maybe I read that wrong, English isn't my first language, please do tell me if there was something I missed.

I am pretty sure you got the implication correct. 

All I can really say is I think we give people the benefit of the doubt and try to be helpful when it seems like they are having trouble within the legitimate practice of the hobby. If they betray that trust by acting badly, then it’s on them and not us.

I have no way to know which is true at this point.

4 minutes ago, youdawurst said:

I think most businesses take the position that it makes them look more "secure" if they don't talk about how often they are breached.  I also think those businesses are wrong, but maybe that's why I'm not rich. 

Japanese businesses may not talk about because it’s potentially a social impropriety to discuss such things openly.

6 minutes ago, youdawurst said:

And holiday season is ripe for retail fraud in particular because more sales means it's harder for people to audit their sales.

It’s an expensive hobby, so undoubtedly there are people who fund it with crimes.

• Like 1

youdawurst

I think both things can be true. I think that it can be true that people have been banned for what they consider trivial reasons, like saying Smart Doll costs too much or that they dislike the clothes designs or the new doll designs, etc. AND ALSO people who thieves use that resentment against Danny Choo to lie on open forums and say that the "only reason" they were banned is because of a trivial reason, when in reality they know they tried to pay with a stolen credit card, because they're mad they couldn't get away with the trick they wanted to play. I know I've been generally pro Smart Doll on here but yeah my take is if you never used a stolen credit card or and never did a lot of charge backs then that message wasn't referring to you. 

Yumeiro
1 hour ago, Fluffybuns said:

Though, that being said I still think it’s good he turned up the fraud detection so people that have been looking to get special dolls for the holidays can get them instead of scalpers

IF people can get their orders through. It said any order may be cancelled and you'll be banned.
I think it'll be hard to argue your case and get your order to go through afterwards. Not to mention if the items are then already sold out.
What a circus

• Like 1

Fluffybuns

Oh yeah, if you aren’t in the inner circle your request for the cancellation error might be ignored or denied. 

DollyDearest
2 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

No one took your like button. O_o

For the record, I got the joke and never associated it with BLM.

Edit: Did a quick check and for sure there are no restrictions on your account.

okays thanks :)

DollyDearest
2 hours ago, Mandie said:

I understand why some people may not be fully convinced of Danny's true nature especially if they are new to the dolly game, but this man's behavior is unforgivable. I wouldn't buy a doll even second hand anymore. No offense meant whatsoever to those of you who own them or buy them. They are beautiful dolls, but it's hard for me to ignore who's the man behind the curtain. Tainted love for sure.

@DollyDearest Try clearing your cache and cookies if it is still happening. Might be just a glitch in the matrix.

lolz. okays   damn that pesky matrix

• Like 1

DollyDearest
1 hour ago, Yumeiro said:

IF people can get their orders through. It said any order may be cancelled and you'll be banned.
I think it'll be hard to argue your case and get your order to go through afterwards. Not to mention if the items are then already sold out.
What a circus

send in the clowns.   also we need popcorn   JK

• Like 1

youdawurst
3 hours ago, Mandie said:

I understand why some people may not be fully convinced of Danny's true nature especially if they are new to the dolly game, but this man's behavior is unforgivable.

Yesh I feel like this is kind of patronizing. I'm not "new to the dolly game", I've been buying dolls since 2016 and I've been interested in BJDs for a lot longer than that. I've read the things Danny Choo has been accused of, read the accounts, read the receipts etc and I just can't get as angry as ya'll about it all. Maybe there's some secret piece of evidence that would unleash my inner rage monster that I just haven't found yet, but his behavior doesn't rise to the level of "unforgivable" to me.  Could be because I'm old and have lived on the internet too long and learned of too many internet-famous people who I thought were cool and nice who, oopsie, turned out to be longtime sexual predators or secret nazis.  (looking at you, Nick Robinson and JonTron!) What I've read just doesn't compare at all to the of level of disappointment I felt when I learned that the voice actor Greg Ellis, who did the voice of Cullen from Dragon Age, is transphobic. At worst, he's been an idiot. Show me him calling someone the n-word, show me where he objectified or demeaned women, show me something a sign of a genuinely despicable human being instead of just a regular guy who makes a lot of mistakes.  As a regular person who makes a lot of mistakes myself, I relate too much to that to be really angry at it. 

• Like 3

DollyDearest
6 hours ago, Fluffybuns said:

@DollyDearest I know, right? That was my first thought too. DC was like let’s try and cover all these legit “trivial” issues I ban people with by claiming they are actually orders from criminal masterminds trying to buy dolls on stolen cards and then go to complain on a forum. I’m not sure about you guys, but if you were trying to use stolen cards would you really complain about it in public and why would you even buy a doll? There’s so many more expensive and easier to get items. Seriously, the lengths he goes to gaslight people in an attempt to redeem his image. Though, that being said I still think it’s good he turned up the fraud detection so people that have been looking to get special dolls for the holidays can get them instead of scalpers, not like Smd really has lots of scalpers anyway, but still it’s good for that reason, not the gaslighting part, but the the scalper part.

mhhmmmm  omgoddess! concrit is means ya planning some kind ocean's 11 heist online!    

bbotss
2 hours ago, youdawurst said:

I've read the things Danny Choo has been accused of, read the accounts, read the receipts etc and I just can't get as angry as ya'll about it all.

There are so many other things happening that yes, his actions don't seem that much of a big deal when you read about it. It's only when it happens to you - you get banned for no reason or receive a defective product, try to contact CS to resolve the issue, but instead you get called out on social media for being "entitled" and accused of doing things you definitely did not do - that you realize it doesn't feel good to be treated like that.

• Like 4

ebil
6 hours ago, youdawurst said:

Yesh I feel like this is kind of patronizing. I'm not "new to the dolly game", I've been buying dolls since 2016 and I've been interested in BJDs for a lot longer than that. I've read the things Danny Choo has been accused of, read the accounts, read the receipts etc and I just can't get as angry as ya'll about it all. Maybe there's some secret piece of evidence that would unleash my inner rage monster that I just haven't found yet, but his behavior doesn't rise to the level of "unforgivable" to me.  Could be because I'm old and have lived on the internet too long and learned of too many internet-famous people who I thought were cool and nice who, oopsie, turned out to be longtime sexual predators or secret nazis.  (looking at you, Nick Robinson and JonTron!) What I've read just doesn't compare at all to the of level of disappointment I felt when I learned that the voice actor Greg Ellis, who did the voice of Cullen from Dragon Age, is transphobic. At worst, he's been an idiot. Show me him calling someone the n-word, show me where he objectified or demeaned women, show me something a sign of a genuinely despicable human being instead of just a regular guy who makes a lot of mistakes.  As a regular person who makes a lot of mistakes myself, I relate too much to that to be really angry at it. 

I agree the antics of Culture Japan/Danny don’t compare to like, outright slur using racists and sexual harassers, it’s usually more like when Elon Musk is being obnoxious on social media (and since it came up earlier, I’m not saying Danny himself is like Musk very much, just saying both of them sometimes post stuff that causes outcry lol)..

but personally the brand operations do approach that “problematic” territory for me sometimes. See the Smartdoll response to the disabled fan posting publicly about their frustration with a repair, where the product pages were then updated to say “if you have poor dexterity or hand strength Smartdoll isn’t for you :)” or something like that, after making so much sing and dance about representation and inclusivity. And myself and other brown and black fans have pointed out that the racial aspect of the promotions and ads can sometimes come off as insincere or self serving, coming to a head when there was the whole “Smartdoll owners are the oppressed minority of the doll world so hashtag BLM” fiasco, but that’s been talked to death already.

tl;dr I agree this behavior is mostly just silly or frustrating rather than “problematic” or “-ist”...but his actions and words on behalf of the company do feel pretty uncomfortable sometimes.

Edited by ebil
  • Like 3

Yumeiro
8 hours ago, youdawurst said:

At worst, he's been an idiot. Show me him calling someone the n-word, show me where he objectified or demeaned women, show me something a sign of a genuinely despicable human being instead of just a regular guy who makes a lot of mistakes.

I wouldn't call his antics mistakes. Especially since there aren't much of an apology or recognition of him having made any mistakes.
If I may draw a comparison to SoulDoll, who recently released a doll with "soft mud brown" skin. They got called out on that, in english, it may be quite an offence name.
SoulDoll acknowledged this and decided to rename the skintone, with a contest. (submit a name suggestion and if your name win, you'll win the new doll)
I don't even think they'd need to go that far to give away dolls - but I'm certainly not against it!
Anyway, no one had to get banned, or blocked. SoulDoll didn't throw a tantrum, or blow up at anyone.

8 hours ago, youdawurst said:
12 hours ago, Mandie said:

I understand why some people may not be fully convinced of Danny's true nature especially if they are new to the dolly game

Yesh I feel like this is kind of patronizing. I'm not "new to the dolly game"

I don't think it was directed at anyone specifically. And I don't think you have to be so nuclear to support white-supremacists or be over the top sexist, to be able to be a despicable human being. Small things add up.
Of course, people have their own limits and thresholds for stuff. So you don't need to be angry at him, that's ok. As long as you don't go out and call people "haterz", for being angry, or thinking his behavior is not ok. Especially when so many have justifiable causes.
Someone new - someone who has never dealt with SmartDolls, to them, things might seem great. And without much background knowledge on past events, they might be quick to defend his actions and bash people for not "being supportive of him and his great practices" - turning people against people. I think that if you call yourself an influenser, you should be held at a higher standard of accountability. Danny should take responsibility and not create groups which divides people (haters/entitled/bad people and good people).

• Thanks 1

ladyandlion
13 hours ago, youdawurst said:

This thread isn’t a court of law. This isn’t about guilty or not guilty or making anyone mad or turn on DC and Smart Doll. It’s purpose is to discuss DC’s business practices. No one here is trying to make him into a villain or scapegoat for kicks and giggled. And while I’m aware of some truly concerning behavior, it’s irrelevant to the topic at hand and from my understanding against forum rules. At the end of the day, everyone makes up their own mind. No one here is trying to convince them otherwise. This is simply a space to share criticism with others who have the same concerns about DC and Smart Doll.

• Like 2

sumdude
19 hours ago, LuluChan said:

Hey, you have been officially accused of stealing credit cards and issuing fraudulent chargebacks! I think that's a new one, blatantly calling people thieves. And I wonder how CJ has instant access to every buyer's full criminal history, apparently? Also, why are there soooooo many thefts and chargebacks but only for Culture Japan? No other doll brand (or shop in general) seems to have these many problems! It's so weird and bizarre, how only they are victims to these horrible, entitled people, and no one else in the same space.

/s

Some of the replies on that tweet scares me. Example...

Danny.png.f158b04c8c68a7013cc5b4e0ec580824.png

Really??? Facial recognition and video interviews to buy a damned doll? The fans are delusional.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 4

BeyondTime
14 hours ago, youdawurst said:

I relate too much to that to be really angry at it. 

I don’t think most people here are angry, there are some for sure, but I think most folks involved in this discussion are disappointed and frustrated; some are just hurt. 

5 hours ago, Yumeiro said:

I think that if you call yourself an influenser, you should be held at a higher standard of accountability.

The problem with influencers is that they are a celebrity who is basically self-employed. There is no top level manager to rein them in or fire them when they become a liability. The normal type of celebrity has to answer to producers, and if they go off the rails they stop getting work. It also doesn’t help that social media draws a lot of people looking for an echo chamber as opposed to reality; as long as they keep hearing the echo they will explain away almost any transgression. 

moerunamida
15 hours ago, youdawurst said:

Yesh I feel like this is kind of patronizing. I'm not "new to the dolly game"

My comment was not intended to be taken as patronizing but point blank statement of people who are new to bjds especially Smart Dolls. There was no snark or malicious intent. I'm sorry that you felt it was patronizing. Feel how you will about Danny, and I will do the same. There is nothing that I have seen that will change my opinion of him unless his behavior does a 180.

Think I'm going to take my leave of this thread. I've certainly said my peace and no longer feel like my input is valid. I'm not going to let DC have any more real estate in my head.

I hope those of you who hope to get a certain Smart Doll are able to with no issues and wish you the best of luck and enjoyment with your new dolls :)

Edited by Mandie

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

Ageha
On 12/1/2021 at 6:56 PM, youdawurst said:

Show me him calling someone the n-word, show me where he objectified or demeaned women, show me something a sign of a genuinely despicable human being instead of just a regular guy who makes a lot of mistakes.  As a regular person who makes a lot of mistakes myself, I relate too much to that to be really angry at it. 

Is there a reason why you're comparing his narcissism to these other horrible crimes? So as long as he's not doing any of those crimes you listed, you're okay with his abhorrent treatment towards customers? 

Also, at what point are we talking about 'mistakes?' His attitude problem is not a 'mistake.' He's simply an arrogant brat who goes out of his way to put customers down and shame them for questioning his self-titled greatness.

By the way, he did criticise a handicapped Smartdoll owner to the public not too long ago. But is that passable in your book?

• Like 6