Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

baldylox

The Facebook debacle & other issues

DollyDearest
3 hours ago, monkeypizzasonic said:

Again, I think there's a difference here between children/young people who have a disability* and want a doll that represents them to help them feel "normal" and cope with it; and grownups who have a disability but have already come to terms with it and don't want or need to see themselves represented in this way because it makes them uncomfortable or they don't agree with the way it's been displayed.

Not that DC is going about it right, but if there are kids out there with conditions and these dolls are genuinely helping them deal with it and accepting it as part of themselves I think it's okay.

...the fact that the representation comes in the form of $500+ dolls and not cheaper/more accessible/more child-friendly formats is a different matter though.

(*On definition: you can have someone who was born blind vs someone who went blind because of an illness/accident, and they would both be considered disabled.) 

okays thanks everyone for clarfiing stuff    i was just wonderin is all.    

Stormlight

When I was eight years old, I was playing on my backyard and fell headfirst into a bricked-off fire pit that my dad had been burning wood remnants in. The fire had died but the ashes were still hot, and my right arm was buried up to my elbow on them. I consider myself lucky. Had I not caught myself it would have been my face in those hot ashes. 

A trip to the hospital for about a week. 2nd and 3rd degree burns all over my lower arm. First degree burn on my side, which didn’t scar thankfully. But I’ve had my arm scarred badly for the majority of my life. A year after the accident I had skin graphs done to lessen the scarring but it’s still really obvious. I can tell you, those prototype feet don’t look anything like real scars. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Rajke
5 hours ago, Stormlight said:

When I was eight years old, I was playing on my backyard and fell headfirst into a bricked-off fire pit that my dad had been burning wood remnants in. The fire had died but the ashes were still hot, and my right arm was buried up to my elbow on them. I consider myself lucky. Had I not caught myself it would have been my face in those hot ashes. 

A trip to the hospital for about a week. 2nd and 3rd degree burns all over my lower arm. First degree burn on my side, which didn’t scar thankfully. But I’ve had my arm scarred badly for the majority of my life. A year after the accident I had skin graphs done to lessen the scarring but it’s still really obvious. I can tell you, those prototype feet don’t look anything like real scars. 

Very sorry that something like that happened to you. 

(My apologies upfront for the question below. @moderaters: please delete my comment if it is crossing the line.)

I want to ask your opinion about the burned skin Smartdoll parts. 

again my apologies for the question. It is in no way ment as an insult. 

@onion20@   This is a signature.

Stormlight

I personally have no issue with it. But as I said, the prototype shown looks nothing like scars to me. It looks like marbled plastic which, in my line of work (plastics injection molding for car batteries) is considered a flaw due to the plastic mixing improperly, so parts are usually scrapped if they come out like that. But that’s just me. 

Honestly I think the dolls with birthmarks look more accurate to burn victims than the prototypes. 

• Thanks 2

BeyondTime
On 2/2/2022 at 11:04 PM, Tierparkzone said:

But it looks like they currently only accept orders in very limited time windows. I'll keep an eye on it, though.

I was able to place an order no problem during their recent sales window. They were open for almost the full 3 hours too, so it wasn’t a clickwar like I feared. I had to wake up at 4 am, but you won’t have that issue. XD

They also had a thing where they partially opened the store the day of. You couldn’t order anything except a zero cost item that basically created a store account for you ahead of the event, but it made it possible to view all the options figure out the cart system and read all the sales information. 

I plan on ordering more during the next window, but that won’t be for maybe another month or two. I can definitely poke you when the time is announced if you like? 

Their blog seems to update once a week around Sunday night.

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Tierparkzone
1 hour ago, BeyondTime said:

I was able to place an order no problem during their recent sales window.

I missed it - apparently I'm not checking the blog often enough...

I can definitely poke you when the time is announced if you like? 

Please do! I'm definitely checking the forum much more frequently.

• Like 1

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, Tierparkzone said:

I missed it - apparently I'm not checking the blog often enough

Gah… if I’d known you were interested I’d have messaged you. It was announced a week ahead of time, but you sounded lukewarm so I didn’t. ><;

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

BeyondTime

Coming from almost anyone else this wouldn’t come off as the crass exploitation of a tragedy befalling the people of two nations, but… it didn’t come from almost anyone else.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

Anna-neko

*points at post above* Agree!

It's almost like .. whats that phrase... virtue signaling?
If he really wanted to make it specifically about whats happening, she'd be wearing the Yellow and Blue colors
or really, if goin hella cynical and it turns just as easily into a dog-whistle - she'd wear white, blue and red!

As-is that post 200% reads as "oh noes, stuff is happening in... *checks notes* a place! We totalz are for and/or against whichever side your brain fills in the blanks for. Buy my expensive toys!" (there's a Futurama meme for this isn't it? BLANK! You let me worry about BLANK)

Edited by Chise
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

BeyondTime
9 hours ago, Chise said:

she'd be wearing the Yellow and Blue colors

She is, it's her eyes.

Still, it comes off as virtue signalling as you pointed out.

I want to say it's almost a bit like the boy who cried wolf. Even if the intention is good at this point, it comes off as inauthentic.

• Like 1

finnleo
6 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

it comes off as inauthentic.

It might have been a bit more palatable if there had been something like "oh btw, 15% of sales going to unicef or red cross" or something of the sorts... but oh no...

"Support freedom by buying my beautfiul creation"

The tone deafness is on par with a vaccuum chamber .. but then again one of his taglines is a bastardization of a brittish department of defence propaganda slogan... so ya.

• Like 8

BeyondTime
21 minutes ago, finnleo said:

but then again one of his taglines is a bastardization of a brittish department of defence propaganda slogan... so ya.

What's the slogan? Not familiar with the Brit's Defense Department, but you've made me curious. 

finnleo
13 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

What's the slogan?

"Keep calm and carry on"

this was originally thought up in WW2 as a "morale booster" campaign when things were really not so great. Googling it gives the more detailed bits in the wikipedia, and how it became a bit of a Meme of sorts.

It is quite brittish in a way, but once you know the back story of it ... you look at it quite a bit differently.

• Thanks 1

BeyondTime
19 minutes ago, finnleo said:

"Keep calm and carry on"

Ok, so it's a bit like if the Volks USA tagline was "Walk softly, and carry a big dollfie." XD

19 minutes ago, finnleo said:

Googling it gives the more detailed bits in the wikipedia, and how it became a bit of a Meme of sorts.

And really highlights just how much of a copy his tagline is...

Had no idea. XD

Thank you.

• Like 1

finnleo
54 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

just how much of a copy his tagline is

The complicated bit is that the whole "Keep calm and (Insert whatever here)" with the same crown, and typeface is the meme bit, thats spawned whatever ammounts of merchandise people think up with ... so in that sense thats the whole "joke" of it in a way.

but you cant help but think for a moment, that even if some people make funny of something, that should you also do it without really giving two thoughts about what a serious situation spawned it in the first place.

• Like 1

Katsudon
11 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

Coming from almost anyone else this wouldn’t come off as the crass exploitation of a tragedy befalling the people of two nations, but… it didn’t come from almost anyone else.

He HAS blue dolls. AND yellow outfits. He could have done a blue and yellow theme SO EASILY!

But yup, this is crass as hell.

Bonus: the "keep calm and carry..." meme is so tired I don't think I've seen a piece of merch in the wild with it on for at least 10 years. And I like browsing John Lewis* (middle class department store in the UK) so you know that's bad. Although free tote bags are always good. They do have a good team of artists and designers so I'm sure they could come up with something a bit cooler and more contemporary if they chose. 😕

*Marks & Spencer too. I'm hopeless.

• Like 2

DollyDearest
7 hours ago, finnleo said:

It might have been a bit more palatable if there had been something like "oh btw, 15% of sales going to unicef or red cross" or something of the sorts... but oh no...

"Support freedom by buying my beautfiul creation"

The tone deafness is on par with a vaccuum chamber .. but then again one of his taglines is a bastardization of a brittish department of defence propaganda slogan... so ya.

dolly darkness has fallen...     Les we forget the "burnt"  to a crisp line of SMDS.    also idk what everyone's referencing so am havin a hard time understanding the convo. so my response is very wierd.   idk my sense of humor is a mixed bag.   

Edited by DollyDearest

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, Katsudon said:

He could have done a blue and yellow theme SO EASILY!

It is there, if you look closely at her eyes. 

Anna-neko
5 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

She is, it's her eyes.

Still, it comes off as virtue signalling as you pointed out.

see, thats how bad that post was .... I DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE IT!! until you pointed it out, and i scrolled back up and zoomed in on the img
oh right... there it is...
geez, she coulda been holding a cheap plastic sunflower and it would make a stronger mesg than the massive word-dump

Edited by Chise
  • Like 2

ebil
4 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

Ok, so it's a bit like if the Volks USA tagline was "Walk softly, and carry a big dollfie." XD

Haha this is great. And the implication you could clobber your enemies with a 1/3 resin if necessary is not inaccurate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

BeyondTime
22 minutes ago, Chise said:

I DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE IT!!

I had to give it a second look too before I saw it. XD

Katsudon
2 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

I had to give it a second look too before I saw it. XD

Ah XD yeah I posted too quickly! And then saw it in the thread after reading the full instagram post, not noticing, cringing, and going back to check.

But still... he has blue dolls (for now) 😄

BeyondTime
4 hours ago, DollyDearest said:

also idk what everyone's referencing so am havin a hard time understanding the convo.

Danny put out a tweet that comes off as a SmartDoll promotion, but uses the current events in Russia and Ukraine as the element of self-promotion. Sorry, I'm being a bit vague due to the no politics rule. 

• Like 4

DollyDearest

Danny put out a tweet that comes off as a SmartDoll promotion, but uses the current events in Russia and Ukraine as the element of self-promotion. Sorry, I'm being a bit vague due to the no politics rule. 

okays thanks :)