Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

baldylox

The Facebook debacle & other issues

finnleo
10 hours ago, Katsudon said:

Bonus: the "keep calm and carry..." meme is so tired I don't think I've seen a piece of merch in the wild with it on for at least 10 years.

mmm, hence my need to clarify that it was indeed a thing back in the day.

but still in this perticular case it wasnt quite the typical use a clever take on the slogan on the off chance of selling a mug or three, but instead a more direct "Keep calm by Buying my product."

• Like 1

Katsudon

I was just offering added comment/context from the epicentre. ^^; I'd expect it to die out everywhere else first but persist here longer.

• Like 1

finnleo
4 hours ago, Katsudon said:

I was just offering added comment/context from the epicentre. ^^; I'd expect it to die out everywhere else first but persist here longer.

erm.. probably tone deaf text at work, didnt really intend to sound annoyed or anything (also was in a rush to work, and .. also ... you know what being a thing too)

just the whole the whole re-affirming that even though im not brittish nor actually ever been to any parts of it, I was somewath aware of just how silly the whole thing got.

Although oddly enough I recall spotting a few tea-tins (maybe a coffee mug too?) with the adapted theme within the last year in the wild over here, so its not quite dead yet... or its just old surplus being flogged onto unknowing parts of the world.

Edited by finnleo
  • Like 2

Starwaia

Personally my impression of that post is an extension of maybe him seeing himself as an influencer more than a salesman? It seems, if not genuine, at least unsurprising from the point of view, accurate or not, that he's an influencer who happens to sell dolls. Kind of like it would be remiss for him not to mention the issue but he has to stay "on brand", so to speak.

I agree that it does come off as tone-deaf, but I imagine it would be more... awkward... dressing the doll up in the relevant colors and making it more "costume-y" (imagine a bikini or something- yikes). At least the eye thing is more subtle, though as some have said, easily missed (I could tell based on what's happening in the world that it was a reference to the current events, so I went back and looked more closely. Not sure if it's enough to assume that said events are "common knowledge" but for me it seemed obvious given the timing what he was referencing; perhaps because I've seen other accounts making statements about the events as well).

On the other hand, having the doll holding a Ukrainian flag could work as well without being flashy, as flags are more of an allegiance sort of thing. So idk.

Edited by Starwaia
word choice adjustment

Got less time to do doll stuff and more time to procrastinate. I'll try to be active here more discussion-wise but no pics or news for a while, unfortunately. Being busy sucks.

Currently watching BNHA, on season 6 and obsessed! (being in a fandom late makes dodging spoilers an issue tho :()
More into Nendoroids than BJDs rn, but I'm waiting for a grail of mine and also hoping to get back into that stuff soon!

Yumeiro

@Starwaia Unfortunately, he has a track-record of (ab)using current events to promote/focus on his dolls/brand.

Edited by Yumeiro
  • Like 4

DollyDearest

current crisis's  = buy my perfect vinyl fashion dolls, made for kids, but bought by 20-40 yr old's      that track record be a long run.     

BeyondTime
50 minutes ago, DollyDearest said:

but bought by 20-40 yr old's

Some of us are older than that... XD

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

battrastard
5 hours ago, DollyDearest said:

but bought by 20-40 yr old's

but bought by 20-60+ yr old's

There, I fixed that for you... @onion20@

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

"Madness takes it's toll, Please have exact change!"

Starwaia
13 hours ago, Yumeiro said:

@Starwaia Unfortunately, he has a track-record of (ab)using current events to promote/focus on his dolls/brand.

Oh I'm aware, and I'm not defending that. I'm just reflecting on it being (perhaps willful) ignorance rather than outright malice- and that to me, it really does seem tied into the influencer thing, which I believe has been brought up before?

• Thanks 1

Got less time to do doll stuff and more time to procrastinate. I'll try to be active here more discussion-wise but no pics or news for a while, unfortunately. Being busy sucks.

Currently watching BNHA, on season 6 and obsessed! (being in a fandom late makes dodging spoilers an issue tho :()
More into Nendoroids than BJDs rn, but I'm waiting for a grail of mine and also hoping to get back into that stuff soon!

DollyDearest
6 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

Some of us are older than that... XD

ah.  lolz    as am I 

• Like 2

DollyDearest
1 hour ago, battrastard said:

but bought by 20-60+ yr old's

There, I fixed that for you... @onion20@

oh really?  60 yr old too. huh well thank for clarifyin   😊👍

• Like 2

Stormlight

Not to change the topic but has anyone seen his burn victim that just dropped? Her entire body is covered with scars. It … doesn’t look too terrible, not as much like marbled plastic as the initial sample had shown. But my first impression was it looks more like wood grain than scarring. She’d make a great Pinocchio. 😋

My biggest problem is her head. He should have left it alone, or done more research. If her face had been burned, she would have no hair. No eyebrows, no eyelashes … hair cannot grow on scar tissue. I think anyone suffering that kind of scarring, who wanted a doll “just like them”, would not really appreciate the lack of thought put into this one. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

monkeypizzasonic
8 minutes ago, Stormlight said:

Not to change the topic but has anyone seen his burn victim that just dropped? Her entire body is covered with scars. It … doesn’t look too terrible, not as much like marbled plastic as the initial sample had shown. But my first impression was it looks more like wood grain than scarring. She’d make a great Pinocchio. 😋

My biggest problem is her head. He should have left it alone, or done more research. If her face had been burned, she would have no hair. No eyebrows, no eyelashes … hair cannot grow on scar tissue. I think anyone suffering that kind of scarring, who wanted a doll “just like them”, would not really appreciate the lack of thought put into this one. 

I would make a fem!Deadpool out of them myself...but yeah, it'd make more sense to have the "burn" parts as like arm options or something, not the whole doll. I do like the look, but I think it works better as a neat color variant than an accurate representation of a disability.

Stormlight

Femme Deadpool would be awesome!

• Like 3

DollyDearest
2 hours ago, Stormlight said:

yesh!  i been aloding to dat,  in my comment before.  which i forget now lolz   but yesh smart doll on elm st.   but in all seriousness, their labeled in a new skin tone  Marble.

Miabird24
On 3/13/2022 at 7:36 PM, Stormlight said:

I thought this too! She'd make an amazing tree girl!

ZandurFox

I've read most of this thread starting from the first page and I'd seen lots of proof of how DC treated his own customers and that makes me very difficult of supporting him and his company. His business practices, work ethic, and professionalism is actually immature, passive aggressive rage induced, and victim filled. I should had bought a Dollfie Dream doll as my very first BJD before getting a Smart Doll, but that man keeps promoting his dolls to the point that Smart Dolls overshadows Dollfie Dream. Since most people I had met had never heard of Volks and their Dollfie Dream/Super Dollfie! I do know about the history of DC's experience with Volks and how he had dropped Volks and created his own line of BJDs. But I can't stand his so-called business philosophy of how the customer is always wrong and treated as second class. It's important that employees are treated well but using that as an excuse to treat customers not very well is a no go in retail business.

I did so much research of him before I bought my one and only Smart Doll and I even read his personal blurbs and rants on his Instagram and main website.

He checks off all the hallmarks of a Narcissist and I know what they do. Since my Dad is a full blown Narcissist and I'm glad he doesn't live in my Mom's home anymore.

I guess I'll keep my Mirai for the time being, since she is the only first BJD I ever bought.

She is cute! But she is DC's OC and mascot for his company after all. However, she comes off as pretty generic and a little bland even though I love her.

But I hope one day, the man sells off his company and retire soon.

Edited by ZandurFox
  • Like 3

DollyDearest
1 hour ago, ZandurFox said:

I've read most of this thread starting from the first page and I'd seen lots of proof of how DC treated his own customers and that makes me very difficult of supporting him and his company. His business practices, work ethic, and professionalism is actually immature, passive aggressive rage induced, and victim filled. I should had bought a Dollfie Dream doll as my very first BJD before getting a Smart Doll, but that man keeps promoting his dolls to the point that Smart Dolls overshadows Dollfie Dream. Since most people I had met had never heard of Volks and their Dollfie Dream/Super Dollfie! I do know about the history of DC's experience with Volks and how he had dropped Volks and created his own line of BJDs. But I can't stand his so-called business philosophy of how the customer is always wrong and treated as second class. It's important that employees are treated well but using that as an excuse to treat customers not very well is a no go in retail business.

I did so much research of him before I bought my one and only Smart Doll and I even read his personal blurbs and rants on his Instagram and main website.

He checks off all the hallmarks of a Narcissist and I know what they do. Since my Dad is a full blown Narcissist and I'm glad he doesn't live in my Mom's home anymore.

I guess I'll keep my Mirai for the time being, since she is the only first BJD I ever bought.

She is cute! But she is DC's OC and mascot for his company after all. However, she comes off as pretty generic and a little bland even though I love her.

But I hope one day, the man sells off his company and retire soon.

👍🐱Thanks for sayin what i was probably thinkin.  I had mentally unstable narcissist family members, so i know where ya comin from as far as family goes.

• Like 2

BeyondTime
2 hours ago, ZandurFox said:

It’s fine to like Mirai in spite of her creator. Don’t let an ass ruin something you love for you. 

You can get clothes for SmD from other places too. 

• Like 7

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Misheru

The way I look at it is that it is not the dolls’ fault, just as kids cannot help who their parents are.  I will not buy directly from DC. But I have adopted from the secondary market. However I have lots lots more DDs than SmDs and that is the way it will always be.

• Like 2

~ Misheru...the *M* in H&M House of Vinyl ~ ℒℴѵℯ❤

( ͒ ु•·̫• ू ͒) ˚₊✩‧ All your dolliehs are belong to us! ✩‧₊˚ ( ͒ ु•·̫• ू ͒)

davidd
On 3/13/2022 at 10:31 PM, DollyDearest said:

... smart doll on elm st. ....

🤣 This made me laugh so much!

• Thanks 1

Yumeiro
16 hours ago, ZandurFox said:

But I can't stand his so-called business philosophy of how the customer is always wrong

The "customer is always right" is supposed to be about customers know what they want (as in, their taste can't be wrong), right?
So I agree that the whole "customer is king" spiel is bad for everyone. But the way he's spun it to mean that customers are idiots, or haters, for calling out (actual) flaws and wanting proper goods, is indeed deplorable!
Stay humble DC....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

DollyDearest
13 hours ago, davidd said:

🤣 This made me laugh so much!

Ya welcomes Lolz 

ladyandlion

Haven't been here in a minute but I'm rather disgusted by the virtue signaling and that he continues doing it. Reminds me of the BLM post all over again and I feel especially salty about that because he deleted one of my comments on that post. As someone said, it would be less gross if he would use some of the proceeds to help Ukrainians. But using this situation to gain a profit for himself just...ew. Quite manipulative. 

It's this, plus that he makes it so difficult to comfortably purchase his products that turned me off for good. It's always a bit painful because they're appealing products (and I do love the diversity of the skintones as I've mentioned previously) and I would like one. I really miss how it used to be before things went down hill and I don't really understand how or why it's devolved into what it is now... 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

ZandurFox

I’ve contacted Smart Doll support since my Mirai’s Cortex had been damaged when she fell on the ground by accident thanks to the wind at the time. Also, the posing on her arms when I was taking photos ended up doing more damage than I thought. 

My Smart Doll Mirai is a Milk 2019 Cortex Hybrid version.

I had taken photos of the damage and customer support told me that they don’t make Milk and Cortex anymore. So, they offered me to give me two Cinnamon vinyl arms instead of my next order with the code provided.

I remember Danny mentioned that they’ll be making Milk in his Instagram post at the time. But, Cinnamon replaced Milk since 2020.

But, I am debating if I should buy Mirai two new replacement arms, but it’s hard for me to support DC and his shop…

• Sad 2