Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

baldylox

The Facebook debacle & other issues

BeyondTime

Sorry, I removed the direct reference to a person from the posts. It just came a bit too close to the rule against insults / personal attacks. Was funny as written, but we need to stay within the guidelines. 

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Plumo
4 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

I keep coming back to financial losses due to cortex’s development and subsequent failure, and who knows if he could even find a buyer for the company who would be willing to acquire the assets along with any debt. Plus his brand seems so associated with his antics that it might be untouchable at this point. Just speculation on my part though. 

I’ll make the counterpoint that he probably wouldn’t have expanded to another floor in his building if he was barely staying afloat. He also wouldn’t be as likely to hand out salable products as freebees. 

It’s quite possible that all he is doing is selling his scrap rather than having it dumped in a landfill. I think he has talked about going to a greener model recently. Of course, selling his junk doesn’t prevent the buyer from dumping it in their landfill because it’s useless. 😕

Well, if he really wanted to do that, he would have to at least tell us what he is selling to know if we need it or not to whatever reasons we have.. but keeping in like "secret random items" its a little hard to know if we want, it can be anything from plastic to vinyl...

I would call this "kind greenwashing" IF this is the reason behind

If is money what he wants, he should not put people on his blacklist for the first place;...
His business model makes me so confuse.... 

• Like 1

Katsudon

I decided to look up an anti-chaos unboxing.

People getting excited over maybe £30 worth of fabric smh. It's not hard to find cotton jersey on ebay, guys.

At least they got their money's worth in heads though, so it evens out I guess.

Meh. Just buy heads. Regular chaos looks awesome. Like it would be fun to try! Completely chaotic blind boxes seem less awesome. :(

• Like 4

Figura4

I’m a novice, and I’m really want to buy a Mirai... I’ve read a lot of Danny’s posts on his website, and I find it admirable how he handles his business. It’s true that I find your prices a bit expensive, but if the reason is that your workers are respected, I’m okay with that. Anyway after reading some pages of this post, I got a little scared, Isn’t everything so beautiful as it looks?

I have read that he does not like an aftermarket of his girls, I understand now that it is so difficult to find some second-hand parts, such as wigs, eyes or clothes. I also read that the company may have economic difficulties? I trust these are unfounded rumors.

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, Figura4 said:

I got a little scared, Isn’t everything so beautiful as it looks?

I’ve always told people if you really like them then get one. Just avoid saying anything critical about him, his company, and his products and you shouldn’t have any issues. 

• Like 2

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

MaleficentMrsofEvil
4 hours ago, Figura4 said:

Anyway after reading some pages of this post, I got a little scared, Isn’t everything so beautiful as it looks?

Sigh. I was afraid you might end up here.

The dolls are very beautiful. I got to see a couple in person, and while I ultimately decided that they're not what I personally want, it shouldn't stop you from buying one. 

Just stay away from the FB groups, and go through customer service if you have issues. It seems like some people try to message the company owner directly through Instagram, which is a really bad idea.

However, forewarned is fair warning. Some of the company owner's business practices are frankly indefensible. I've even ranted here about a decision he's made recently. The biggest issue is if you have a problem with your order. Dealing with Mr. Choo can be - difficult.

But the SmD owner I met really enjoyed their dolls and was very happy with the quality. Other SmD owners have had no problems and are quite delighted with their dolls. I would certainly enjoy seeing pictures of yours if you decide to purchase some.

• Like 4

Wasabi
12 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

I keep coming back to financial losses due to cortex’s development and subsequent failure, and who knows if he could even find a buyer for the company who would be willing to acquire the assets along with any debt. Plus his brand seems so associated with his antics that it might be untouchable at this point. Just speculation on my part though. 

I doubt that the brand is untouchable because of its link to a single person. If anything, the only negative associations with the brand come directly from that link. Detaching it (either by getting a community manager, or by transferring ownership) is probably not too difficult if communicated properly. But personally I don't think it will ever be sold. Smart Doll is, first and foremost, a personal project that we all get to join for the ride.

6 hours ago, Figura4 said:

I’m a novice, and I’m really want to buy a Mirai... I’ve read a lot of Danny’s posts on his website, and I find it admirable how he handles his business. It’s true that I find your prices a bit expensive, but if the reason is that your workers are respected, I’m okay with that. Anyway after reading some pages of this post, I got a little scared, Isn’t everything so beautiful as it looks?

I have read that he does not like an aftermarket of his girls, I understand now that it is so difficult to find some second-hand parts, such as wigs, eyes or clothes. I also read that the company may have economic difficulties? I trust these are unfounded rumors.

If you really want one, go for it.
The Dolls themselves are beautiful, well made, and of good quality. 

Spare parts are indeed difficult to get. However, this is only an issue for the actual body parts. There are plenty of other brands and Etsy shops that offer wig, eyes, and clothes that look beautiful on Smart Dolls. So if you are willing to look in other places for those you should have no problem finding outfits for your future Smart Doll. If you specifically want Smart Doll clothes/eyes you might need a bit of patience. Many items sell out quickly on the official store, and it may take a while for them to be restocked or appear on the aftermarket.

The economic difficulties are pure speculation at this point.

• Like 2

Figura4
5 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

I’ve always told people if you really like them then get one. Just avoid saying anything critical about him, his company, and his products and you shouldn’t have any issues. 

Not being able to say something critical is something that bothers me. I don’t like to be quiet if something bothers me, and I really like receiving criticism, I think it’s the best way to improve. 
It won’t be enough reason for me not to buy a SmD, but I’m surprised that this person is like that, when you read his writings on his web page he seems a very talkative, affable, and understanding person. Someone worthy of admiration.

3 hours ago, MaleficentMrsofEvil said:

The dolls are very beautiful. I got to see a couple in person, and while I ultimately decided that they're not what I personally want, it shouldn't stop you from buying one. 

Just stay away from the FB groups, and go through customer service if you have issues. It seems like some people try to message the company owner directly through Instagram, which is a really bad idea.

However, forewarned is fair warning. Some of the company owner's business practices are frankly indefensible. I've even ranted here about a decision he's made recently. The biggest issue is if you have a problem with your order. Dealing with Mr. Choo can be - difficult.

But the SmD owner I met really enjoyed their dolls and was very happy with the quality. Other SmD owners have had no problems and are quite delighted with their dolls. I would certainly enjoy seeing pictures of yours if you decide to purchase some.

I’m sorry! It was inevitable to read this post... it has many entries!
I don’t like my happiness depending on my good luck with my order. When bad things happen it's time to prove your worth, and for a company must be very important customer service and after-sales service. Now I understand that he hasn't replied to my email asking for a custom-made SmD, eyes, chest and wig, combining different options available (a frankenstein), but he responded with gratitude to my email congratulating his company and his pretty girls.

36 minutes ago, Wasabi said:

I doubt that the brand is untouchable because of its link to a single person. If anything, the only negative associations with the brand come directly from that link. Detaching it (either by getting a community manager, or by transferring ownership) is probably not too difficult if communicated properly. But personally I don't think it will ever be sold. Smart Doll is, first and foremost, a personal project that we all get to join for the ride.

If you really want one, go for it.
The Dolls themselves are beautiful, well made, and of good quality. 

Spare parts are indeed difficult to get. However, this is only an issue for the actual body parts. There are plenty of other brands and Etsy shops that offer wig, eyes, and clothes that look beautiful on Smart Dolls. So if you are willing to look in other places for those you should have no problem finding outfits for your future Smart Doll. If you specifically want Smart Doll clothes/eyes you might need a bit of patience. Many items sell out quickly on the official store, and it may take a while for them to be restocked or appear on the aftermarket.

The economic difficulties are pure speculation at this point.

I’ll certainly buy Mirai anyway. I don’t pretend to be a crazy SmD fan, and as long as he doesn’t enslave his workers, or rob and lie to his clients, I won’t have a problem with him or his company.  I admire that he built this project with his effort. And everyone has the right to be an idiot. But I trust that if I have any trouble after sale customer service is adequate, I don't need more.

Katsudon
1 hour ago, Figura4 said:

I’ll certainly buy Mirai anyway. I don’t pretend to be a crazy SmD fan, and as long as he doesn’t enslave his workers, or rob and lie to his clients, I won’t have a problem with him or his company.  I admire that he built this project with his effort. And everyone has the right to be an idiot. But I trust that if I have any trouble after sale customer service is adequate, I don't need more.

Yeah, I'll just echo everyone else and say definitely get one if you want one. People reading this thread on the regular will be sick of seeing me say how much I love my Smart Doll. 🤣 But I do love her. I have a lot of dolls, but her being vinyl means it's easier to just have her sitting next to me, almost all the time. (She doesn't sit on the sofa 😛 but a table next to the sofa.) She's well made, the telescopic stand is awesome, and her pretty face makes me forget all the negatives. XD

The dolls are innocent. Give them love!

• Like 1

Figura4
6 minutes ago, Katsudon said:

Yeah, I'll just echo everyone else and say definitely get one if you want one. People reading this thread on the regular will be sick of seeing me say how much I love my Smart Doll. 🤣 But I do love her. I have a lot of dolls, but her being vinyl means it's easier to just have her sitting next to me, almost all the time. (She doesn't sit on the sofa 😛 but a table next to the sofa.) She's well made, the telescopic stand is awesome, and her pretty face makes me forget all the negatives. XD

The dolls are innocent. Give them love!

I definitely want to see a picture of your little girl sitting next to the sofa!

Thanks for for your words!

marishade

@Figura4
I am the owner of three Smart Dolls (two vinyl one cortex) and plan to get two more. Maybe because I am generally quieter on forums or do not talk to companies directly really, I have remained in good standing with the company. I am not a member of any of the FB groups.

I love Smart Dolls and prefer their body design over DDs. There are some things that Danny does that are questionable, bad business practice, or rude. There is a portion of the Smart Doll community that hangs on his every word and defends him like a King.

If you post online just be careful of your wording. I like to think of the Smart Doll community like any Fandom; take Star Wars for example. I love it, but there are certain people who have very strong opinions and are toxic.

There are some who find Danny so disagreeable that they refuse to buy his products, that is okay! Do not let people talk you into/out of things you like, make the decision for yourself.

If you want a Mirai, "yay"! Another person to the Mirai army! I hope you would enjoy her as much as I enjoy mine!

Edited by marishade
grammar
  • Like 2

AliensOfGold

I love my Ivory and all the extra products I’ve received from Smart Doll Land and would never feel bad about owning her or anything like that, but for me personally I will never make another purchase directly from his company ever again because of the way he’s been acting recently and the direction he seems to be taking his company.

As others have said if you like the look of the dolls and you have the funds for one you should grab one, but only because you want it.

DollyDearest
12 hours ago, MaleficentMrsofEvil said:

❤ I love all three of my boi's an wouldn't trade them for beans  

• Like 1

I kind of want a SmD after seeing posts of some custom dolls, I really like the anime style ones with the closed mouth and smaller eyes, but after reading about Danny and everything he’s done and even lurking in some SmD Facebook groups, I’m scared of getting one. If I hadn’t seen some custom SmDs, I don’t think I’d even want one cause the company faceups on SmDs aren’t for me. I’m also not a fan of the aesthetics of the SmD clothes, shoes, etc. if Danny finds out I’m criticizing his dolls, I’d probably be banned.

Edited by Guest

nanika
21 hours ago, Figura4 said:

Now I understand that he hasn't replied to my email asking for a custom-made SmD, eyes, chest and wig, combining different options available (a frankenstein), but he responded with gratitude to my email congratulating his company and his pretty girls.

I would be careful about asking for a custom doll from Danny, especially if you are a first-time customer.  He might view that as a bit demanding, and it could put you on his "bad" list.  Perhaps if you were a regular customer that has purchased a lot of dolls from him, he might be more receptive, but I would definitely be cautious.  

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong in asking-- they can simply respond with a yes or no, or not reply( =no ).  But Danny is rather unique, so he could take your request the wrong way.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Katsudon
14 hours ago, QueenAnna said:

I kind of want a SmD after seeing posts of some custom dolls, I really like the anime style ones with the closed mouth and smaller eyes, but after reading about Danny and everything he’s done and even lurking in some SmD Facebook groups, I’m scared of getting one. If I hadn’t seen some custom SmDs, I don’t think I’d even want one cause the company faceups on SmDs aren’t for me. I’m also not a fan of the aesthetics of the SmD clothes, shoes, etc. if Danny finds out I’m criticizing his dolls, I’d probably be banned.

If you want one, go for it! 😄 If you want a custom faceup you could either wipe the doll, or see if someone on Facebook or Instagram is selling a blank head in the type you want. It's okay, the clothes aren't for everyone. But that's true of pretty much every doll company - it's impossible to please everyone. There are a lot of people making clothes on etsy if you can't sew, or if you can then making clothes is fun! 😄

There are so many gorgeous custom Smart Dolls out there! Love seeing people's creativity!

• Like 2

monkeypizzasonic
5 hours ago, nanika said:

I would be careful about asking for a custom doll from Danny, especially if you are a first-time customer.  He might view that as a bit demanding, and it could put you on his "bad" list.  Perhaps if you were a regular customer that has purchased a lot of dolls from him, he might be more receptive, but I would definitely be cautious.  

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong in asking-- they can simply respond with a yes or no, or not reply( =no ).  But Danny is rather unique, so he could take your request the wrong way.

The dolls are marketed as "characters", and I think they're sort of meant to be a fullset. I haven't heard of anyone successfully requesting to get a different wig or eyes or anything with a doll.

Even that much might get you dropped in the "entitled" and "trying to overwork my employees" pool.

• Like 2

Yumeiro
1 hour ago, monkeypizzasonic said:

I haven't heard of anyone successfully requesting to get a different wig or eyes or anything with a doll.

Even that much might get you dropped in the "entitled" and "trying to overwork my employees" pool.

But it was offered, I think..? Not as a guarantee, but I think there was a post about how you could request different eyes, or a different wig (back when they where available). I cannot find anything about it, so my memory could be wrong.

Still, yes, I don't think I'd even dare to ask. I bet the order would be cancelled on the spot...

• Like 1

bbotss
11 hours ago, Yumeiro said:

But it was offered, I think..? Not as a guarantee, but I think there was a post about how you could request different eyes, or a different wig (back when they where available). I cannot find anything about it, so my memory could be wrong.

Still, yes, I don't think I'd even dare to ask. I bet the order would be cancelled on the spot...

No, you can request to have the doll assembled with different eyes, but you have to purchase the eyes you want first. I remember someone being upset because they requested for different eyes, and either had the request ignored or their entire order cancelled.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2021 at 7:01 AM, Katsudon said:

If you want one, go for it! 😄 If you want a custom faceup you could either wipe the doll, or see if someone on Facebook or Instagram is selling a blank head in the type you want. It's okay, the clothes aren't for everyone. But that's true of pretty much every doll company - it's impossible to please everyone. There are a lot of people making clothes on etsy if you can't sew, or if you can then making clothes is fun! 😄

There are so many gorgeous custom Smart Dolls out there! Love seeing people's creativity!

I bought a smart doll today, Kizuna. I don’t know how to paint doll faces, so I could probably commission someone to change her faceup. I looked at the clothes again and I like wasteland jacket in wine red. I wasn’t planning on buying a SmD, but I thought Kizuna was cute.

Mainframe110
On 7/28/2021 at 2:43 AM, Wasabi said:

Smart Doll is, first and foremost, a personal project that we all get to join for the ride.

This. 

I think when people coming in from other corners of the doll/figure collecting hobbies, there is an expectation of personal detachment from the brand creators. This is Danny’s love letter to all the things in life he made work for him as a business model- combining technical and creative efforts with cute anime girls. As big as Smart Doll gets, unless someone else takes over the company Danny still is allowed to cultivate the customer base he wants, he’s still allowed to pick favorites, ban people at will, make super limited releases, or tease prototypes that never get released. Is it fair? Is it good business practice? No, but whether we like it or not, it seems Danny intends to keep his name and personality intertwined with the Smart Doll/CJ brand. 

It seems to me, depending on how someone views Danny (either as an entrepreneurial auteur or a cringey otaku bridge-burning businessman) they see buying from CJ either as a chance to get to personally interact with Danny, or a risk they have to take to get a product they want. Smart Doll being Danny’s personal *thing* doesn’t at all exempt him from criticism, but it’s something I think people need to step back a little and look at it that way sometimes.

• Like 1

I bought Kizuna directly from the SmD website and my order got canceled. I was afraid it was going to happen, but I was hoping it wouldn’t. I responded to the emails in a nice calm way like I tried to get on Danny’s good side. I really wanted Kizuna, guess I can either buy a DD or try to buy her second hand ☹️

edit: it was canceled for being fraudulent, “Danny” said I could do a bank transfer but I don’t feel comfortable, he probably wants to ban me or something. I didn’t pass the test 😪

Edited by Guest

bbotss
21 minutes ago, QueenAnna said:

I bought Kizuna directly from the SmD website and my order got canceled. I was afraid it was going to happen, but I was hoping it wouldn’t. I responded to the emails in a nice calm way like I tried to get on Danny’s good side. I really wanted Kizuna, guess I can either buy a DD or try to buy her second hand ☹️

edit: it was canceled for being fraudulent, “Danny” said I could do a bank transfer but I cdon’t feel comfortable, he probably wants to ban me or something. I didn’t pass the test 😪

Did it get cancelled before or after you posted that you got a Kizuna here? Danny stalks this forum *waves at Danny*, so I won't be surprised if he managed to figure out who you were from your order, probably because not many would be buying a Kizuna at the same time as you. Also a few posts back you mentioned not liking the default smd faceups and the aesthetics of the clothes, and that's pretty much sufficient to earn you a whack from the smdland banhammer.

I'm sorry it happened to you. I hope you manage to find a Kizuna secondhand.

Edit: Please don't do a bank transfer. When sellers ask for that it just raises a red flag for me, ceo of a company or not.

Edited by bbotss
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, bbotss said:

Did it get cancelled before or after you posted that you got a Kizuna here? Danny stalks this forum *waves at Danny*, so I won't be surprised if he managed to figure out who you were from your order, probably because not many would be buying a Kizuna at the same time as you. Also a few posts back you mentioned not liking the default smd faceups and the aesthetics of the clothes, and that's pretty much sufficient to earn you a whack from the smdland banhammer.

I'm sorry it happened to you. I hope you manage to find a Kizuna secondhand.

Edit: Please don't do a bank transfer. When sellers ask for that it just raises a red flag for me, ceo of a company or not.

It got canceled after I posted on here that I had bought her. I know I posted that I didn’t like the company faceups and stuff, but I didn’t think Danny would read it. I feel so bad.

AliensOfGold
1 hour ago, QueenAnna said:

I feel so bad.

I didn’t think you were serious when I read that other post.

You shouldn’t feel bad because you’ve done nothing wrong. You may have criticised a product, but we all do that for everything. It sucks that you can’t get the doll you wanted direct from him, but I’m sure you’ll find another way😜

Wouldn’t it be illegal to claim fraud when I highly doubt anything of the sort took place? Who actually claimed it was fraud him or your bank?