Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

BeyondTime

Beyond Time's Photo Randoms

cfx
18 minutes ago, foo said:

It is useful that it standardizes information, but it's more about making information accessible. Like even if it indicates that the sensor has an AA filter on it or not, I'm sure there's more details needed that it just can't give CS6 enough to go on to decode it properly.

There's certainly a possibility that the results might be less than from a newer PS version, but Adobe states this works.

19 minutes ago, foo said:

If it were able to do that then the DNG converter would incorporate most of ACR itself.

Doesn't it though? Adobe's downloads generally include the DNG converter and ACR together, and they're updated together for new cameras; was done recently to support the D6.

I think one thing I said earlier for sure is wrong--in PS, using DNG, I'm not sure if ACR is being used at all.

I need to look into this more carefully obviously, since if my D800 is defective I'll need a replacement, and I don't intend to join Adobe's subscription plans so this was how I planned to proceed. Here's the articles I've looked at:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/digital-negative.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

foo
7 minutes ago, cfx said:

There's certainly a possibility that the results might be less than from a newer PS version, but Adobe states this works.

Interesting. If they made it work then I guess it works, but TBH this is also why I don't like using ACR for RAW conversion over Nikon Capture (ーー') Nikon is much more obsessive over how they process individual camera models' RAW files, because it's the software counterpart to the camera. It's actually a lot slower making adjustments to my 24mp Z 6 RAWs than my 36 mp D810, presumably because they haven't spent 6 years optimizing it. It's annoying I'm hoping it will get better.

17 minutes ago, cfx said:

Doesn't it though? Adobe's downloads generally include the DNG converter and ACR together, and they're updated together for new cameras; was done recently to support the D6.

I was thinking more like it would have to include substantial decoding instructions in the DNG alongside the RAW data. The DNG converter includes the latest Adobe Camera RAW profiles, but I meant the actual piece of software that Photoshop/Lightroom uses to read RAW data and produce an image.

cfx
7 minutes ago, foo said:

Interesting. If they made it work then I guess it works, but TBH this is also why I don't like using ACR for RAW conversion over Nikon Capture (ーー')

Right; it's going to give results like ACR, not like Nikon's programs. While I get that what Nikon is doing with the files may be better, I can't stand the inteface of their programs, and I also like to just start with the most neutral file possible anyway i.e. I have Active D-Lighting and other such things all turned off and use the neutral (whatever it's called on my camera) picture control.

8 minutes ago, foo said:

I was thinking more like it would have to include substantial decoding instructions in the DNG alongside the RAW data. The DNG converter includes the latest Adobe Camera RAW profiles, but I meant the actual piece of software that Photoshop/Lightroom uses to read RAW data and produce an image.

My assumption (and it is an assumption) is that what you download is the complete ACR module, not just profiles, and that it and the DNG converter are the same thing, at least on the input side. If it didn't work this way, I don't see how ACR could always accomodate new cameras, if they added some feature that it didn't already account for. The DNG converter could also be a program with just definition updates in this case as well. This would also explain why I can't just install a version of ACR newer than 8.4 (whatever, might be the wrong version) in PS CS6...of course that could also just be planned obsolesence type of thing.

That makes the most sense to how it works to me. DNG, as created by that converter, is a "normalized" RAW file that is no longer camera-specific, and that is how it can be accessed by old versions of PS.

Further speculation here, but perhaps they really are the same thing; ACR is just a plugin version of the standalone DNG converter, and that what PS works on internally is DNG i.e. ACR is outputting what is contained in the DNG as well.

foo
8 minutes ago, cfx said:

My assumption (and it is an assumption) is that what you download is the complete ACR module, not just profiles, and that it and the DNG converter are the same thing, at least on the input side.

I actually downloaded the thing and checked because I was curious, and it really is just a small converter application and 1 GB of .dcp files for every single camera.

9 minutes ago, cfx said:

If it didn't work this way, I don't see how ACR could always accomodate new cameras, if they added some feature that it didn't already account for.

I don't think they do. If you really want the best ACR you need the latest version 😕 

10 minutes ago, cfx said:

While I get that what Nikon is doing with the files may be better, I can't stand the inteface of their programs

You learn to deal with it when you see the results you get. I have spent time in the past trying to work with other software including Lightroom (I used it for a couple years before I threw in the towel and went back to Aperture), and the steps you need to take to produce a lovely RAW conversion is the simplest. They did design the controls to be highly usable, but yeah, you still have to learn to deal with the quirks.

Thing is I use Aperture for photo management and then jump to Nikon Capture when I decide to process an image. I'm not there for long until I jump to Photoshop to do the rest with Nik Collection.

15 minutes ago, cfx said:

I also like to just start with the most neutral file possible anyway

TBH there's not much benefit of that unless you're really going jazz up your photos in post processing. In the olden days we'd buy different brands of film to get a certain look. Fujifilm and Kodak spent decades developing trade secrets for how to make film that produced beautiful photos (Kodak Ultracolor = ❤️). They weren't neutral. Without this, it's a very tall hill to climb to make your photos look as good.

A good example of this is Fujifilm Velvia. If you try to use it as normal everyday film it is WEIRD WEIRD WEIRD, but use it in the right conditions (involving light and colour) it produces beautiful images like nothing else.

Nikon has also spent decades developing their software algorithms, going back to the film scanner days. Having used Nikon Capture constantly since the D70 I've seen how their "Nikon look" has advanced over the years. Like the D300 using the Standard picture control looks different than the D810 and the Z6's, and the changes reflect the newer camera's performance. I generally switch between Standard and Portrait and tweak those as a starting point. The tone and colour from the different Nikon picture controls is lovely, and it's something I've learned to adapt to over time when I consider lighting and exposure.

But if you use ACR without fancy presets (it's an industry) you're skipping the "film" step. Which is fine if you want to do all the work yourself, but it's hard.

(I'm feeling uneasy about taking up pages being off topic...)

cfx
2 minutes ago, foo said:

If you really want the best ACR you need the latest version 😕 

True, but if the download is just definitions how do you get that? Or is it just updated with new versions of PS, Lightroom, etc.?

3 minutes ago, foo said:

TBH there's not much benefit of that unless you're really going jazz up your photos in post processing. In the olden days we'd buy different brands of film to get a certain look. Fujifilm and Kodak spent decades developing trade secrets for how to make film that produced beautiful photos (Kodak Ultracolor = ❤️). They weren't neutral. Without this, it's a very tall hill to climb to make your photos look as good.

I was always a slide film guy; I never liked negative films. I positively loved Kodachrome, especially K25; I don't know if that was neutral or weird, though.

4 minutes ago, foo said:

Yeah. We really need a separate topic for this stuff both because it's OT, and I'm sure many who just want to look at pictures are bored by this discussion.

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, foo said:

It doesn't really bother me. It's a thread for photography experimentation anyways, and discussion of the subject is good. In point of fact I kind of opened the door by posting about how I was doing things.

Edited by BeyondTime

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

BeyondTime

50007160798_ffe1d19e34_o.jpg

50007949137_9d85a12856_o.jpg

50007160563_9f0f5c1ecd_o.jpg

50007948852_dca32a6de7_o.jpg

50007689896_98bbf65cc4_o.jpg

Edited by BeyondTime
  • Like 6

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

BeyondTime

Oops, posted the wrong links in two of the above photos.

baldylox

FINALLY!  Some PHOTOS in the PHOTO thread!  😉

She looks great, so sure of herself and playful too.  <3 

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

BeyondTime
  • Like 13

takoninja

Wow, so many beautiful girls and so many beautiful outfits! I throughly enjoyed browsing this thread. In your most recent photo set, I’m enamored with that parasol! Is it from a separate set?

I’m looking forward to more photo dumps soon!! <3

• Thanks 1

Name: Tako Moguchi

Dolls: Yume (DDdy, HDD-02, modded s-bust), Himeko (Obistu 40cm, modded HDD-01), Hitomi (DDS M.O.M.O.)

BeyondTime
40 minutes ago, takoninja said:

Is it from a separate set?

It was released on it's own by Volks about a year ago.

bulgogi017

Rei looks gorgeous!❤️ Poses are fantastic! Love your photos!

• Thanks 1

BeyondTime
19 hours ago, bulgogi017 said:

Rei looks gorgeous!❤️ Poses are fantastic! Love your photos!

If you want to learn to pose dolls well browse Japanese doll twitter. Tons of photos with beautiful posing and beautiful styling.

• Like 1

geminirose

Wow, you have a seriously impressive collection, and take such lovely pictures of them!! 🤯

• Thanks 1

Meguchi
On 6/9/2020 at 6:33 PM, BeyondTime said:

49823816171_d1985d3364_o.jpg

Just a note about this outfit. She's been wearing it since April 26th when I took the photos. No body stocking and no stains in spite of a week of very hot and humid days we had recently.

@onion8@Beautiful! I really like the photo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31331.png.dfd4a63f40636b8096732abe211870c7.png

BeyondTime

I got a few items from Doll Delights for my Senshi.

Usagi got a cute Rem & Ram shirt and I created an outfit around it. She might need a bra, I sort of think that having a bra-strap showing on her bare shoulder would make this outfit feel kind of 1980s.

50361100492_4252054716_o.jpg

I saw this, and said to myself "Rei would never ever wear this", so of course I bought it for her.

Spoiler
I thought about putting it on Usagi, but I decided that shattering the dreams of children everywhere might get me in trouble.

Besides, Rei is sassy enough to make this work.
50360237318_e99d31de68_o.jpg

This was an unusual bikini that they had, and I decided to get it in spite of it being a bit non-traditional. This resulting image was made specially for @baldylox.

NSFW:

Spoiler
50360236713_21a385a3be_o.jpg

• Like 5

baldylox

This was an unusual bikini that they had, and I decided to get it in spite of it being a bit non-traditional. This resulting image was made specially for @baldylox.

Hee hee, I certainly appreciate the thought and the modeling job!  She's working it for sure!  <3 

I also love the outfit on Usagi, I can totes recall seeing girls in high school back in the 80's wearing VERY similar outfit setups!  

Billy

• Like 1

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

BeyondTime
50 minutes ago, baldylox said:

I also love the outfit on Usagi

Usagi was never my favorite Senshi, and when the DD version was released I had very mixed feelings about her look. When I actually got her in Volks USA's Christmas event I changed my mind about how well she matched her character. She definitely feels more like Usagi in person than in the product photos. I was fond of her, but she still ended up getting photographed a lot less than Ami & Rei. With this new outfit though I absolutely love her. I think I have a concept for her own unique style now, and it makes a big difference in how much I want to play with her.

I think that's why I like Makoto Kikuchi so much; when I got her I had a clear idea of her style.

Even though the doll is a specific character, they really seen to call out to their own unique clothing style irrespective of the character.

Ami's style is classy and sexy. I kind of see her as cute and energetic.

Rei's is street clothing, cocktail dresses. She has more of a mature sophistication.

Usagi is a teen style that is cute & a little punk with maybe a hint of sex appeal. She has sort of a youthful innocence to her.

Makoto is probably going to fit elegant and very classy, but she's too new for me to be completely sure. I haven't tried a lot of things on her yet. She's tall and has a youthful sort of elegance.

Minako may be more of an youthful and athletic style, so maybe her style will be a more feminine version of Makoto Kikuchi. My feeling for her at this point is more from the TV show, so it may change when she arrives. Still, the stuff I have planned for her to try on when she arrives is all athletic wear.

• Like 1

Galvatim

Usagi looks great!  I need to check out Doll Delights again, I haven't seen that Rem and Ram shirt before.  

• Like 1

BeyondTime
10 minutes ago, Galvatim said:

I haven't seen that Rem and Ram shirt before

I think I snagged the last one, but I did find out that they do restock stuff. You might use their contact form to ask about it.

Veravey

I really appreciate the focal point in this shot, how the hair goes out of focus near the back. Really gives everything depth and some realism, too.

On 6/21/2020 at 9:41 PM, BeyondTime said:

50031548128_fde2054dc1_o.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ftRtwRu9355h.gif.886b75a4e71a6125e1f5c114f2fd2e47.gif

BeyondTime
3 minutes ago, Veravey said:

Really gives everything depth and some realism, too.

That was a Nikon 105mm lens @ f 1.4.

I used a flashgun on the backdrop to create further separation between the subject and background.

• Like 1

BeyondTime

Usagi got a new wig, a Volks W-170D in cinnamon-gold, and I've really been loving her new look. She feels like a whole new doll, and the shorter hair framing her face really shows off how beautiful her sculpt is.

The cinnamon-gold isn't exactly her yellow, but it's close enough to work and it sets off the color of her eyes nicely.

50676209843_ac8f2beaa9_o.jpg

She also got a new F3 body. I always felt a bit bad that she was the only Senshi who had the older body, so I updated her.

50676209218_1af4885ca2_o.jpg

• Like 7