Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Creepy Doll Comments

baldylox
On 7/24/2019 at 7:11 PM, BeyondTime said:

Now I’m seriously wondering how many friends have run screaming from Billy’s house never to return. 😄

Maybe this is the magic bullet for keeping religious cults off your doorstep too: “Talk to the doll, she talks to God on my behalf. She can talk to Him for you too.”

Actually, this happened to me.  One Halloween I had a big party here and decided to show my girls to my long time friends.  At the time I only had about 20-30 of the dolls in the house and they all stayed in the bedroom on the dressers.  When people asked what I had been up to lately I brought them in and showed them.  I cited the photography side of things for the most part and most were like "Oh, ok, cool." and that was it.

Several months later everyone kind of dropped off the map except one couple I'd known for decades.  The topic of dolls came up and they told me all my other so called friends had said they were freaked out by them and thought it was really odd for me to have them.  So basically I got pushed away because of them.  Obviously these friends weren't REAL friends so I didn't let it get to me.  I've moved on and have a whole new set of friends that like me and my girls and everything is good.  :)

As for the religious visitors, I am TOTES doing that the next time they show up.  I got rid of one group by telling them I was atheist and another by saying I was a pagan.  But they are coming back around again so it's time to go to the next step and really show them what's what.  😄  Thanks for the idea!

Billy

• Like 5

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Aichan
20 hours ago, baldylox said:

Actually, this happened to me.  One Halloween I had a big party here and decided to show my girls to my long time friends.  At the time I only had about 20-30 of the dolls in the house and they all stayed in the bedroom on the dressers.  When people asked what I had been up to lately I brought them in and showed them.  I cited the photography side of things for the most part and most were like "Oh, ok, cool." and that was it.

Several months later everyone kind of dropped off the map except one couple I'd known for decades.  The topic of dolls came up and they told me all my other so called friends had said they were freaked out by them and thought it was really odd for me to have them.  So basically I got pushed away because of them.  Obviously these friends weren't REAL friends so I didn't let it get to me.  I've moved on and have a whole new set of friends that like me and my girls and everything is good.  :)

As for the religious visitors, I am TOTES doing that the next time they show up.  I got rid of one group by telling them I was atheist and another by saying I was a pagan.  But they are coming back around again so it's time to go to the next step and really show them what's what.  😄  Thanks for the idea!

Billy

I think because men owning and playing with dolls is viewed as strange here in the US , BUT  Its not strange if a man IS a doll maker.  So a really thin line there as far as societal “ norms”.

I know you said you moved on from those fake friends, but that makes me feel bad for you because I understand. The same thing happened to me but WITH  doll people. It made me feel bad \ sad .

Once they found out I don” t celebrate holidays they dropped me. I don,t push my views or religious beliefs on anyone. If they ask, I answer thats it. 

My husband and I are deeply religious but we both collect Bjds , DDs, and other dolls. He even helped me put on BJD conventions a few years ago. 

We are friends with Hideyoshi Shigeta JR and everyone knows the Volks family is not considered “ strange” We see a growning number of men in general enjoying the hobby. That is not weird.

I wish I had more doll friends no matter what age or gender!

The  “ dolls are creepy “ debate is an old one for sure. My sister is in her 50”s and has always been afraid of dolls. There must be some deep seeded / seated ( whats the phrase now?)  feelings with oeople , kind  of like people who are terrified by clowns.

Honestly, reading comments of people loosing friends or being shunned over owning dolls is very sad. These are the same people who collect sports figures and Marvel Legends, but since those are considered "manly" then it's no big deal, right? I don't agree. If they can collect whatever they want then we should be allowed to do the same.

Mothiraffe

@rainglow believe it or not but Mayu was my least-favorite sculpt... until I got my own. Her face really grows on you ^^

ISO: SmD Crimson Kai, Interstellar Blue Prowess, Resolute (Tea), all the boys | DD Icon Tawny | Obitsu 55cm, 60cm Bodies | instagram: lunaraffe

deinosor

I know I have friends who find them creepy - one friend liked a repro antique wooden doll that I had but was horrified by all the others. Other friends have been... polite.

Most of my current local friends don’t even know about them actually. My closest friend does but has never seen them. I keep them in my room for the most part, chiefly because I have two young kids and they have friends and all of them will get too carried away playing to be careful of my dolls, so I don’t leave temptation in their way. This may be paranoid but I also don’t want to be known as a Weird Mum in case the kids get teased (small community).

I’d love to have someone to chat to about them but to be honest that’s where forums come in for me.

Pronouns: she/her

AeroHail

I've had it more in regards to my resin trio, my Dals and my kikipops compared to my anime styled dolls.

People seem super creeped out by my littlefee as there's that trope of dolls being scary and little girls being scary so little girl dolls are the worst combo for them. XD

I have no problems with it as I've openly spoken about receiving eyes in the post and "Aaa Boo's new hands will be arriving today!" which seems to add to the horror of the whole thing ^^;

My friends have gotten used to them/

Juxtaposition

I had a friend mention that he thought dolls were creepy before he even knew I liked them. He wasn't rude about it or anything, and I don't remember how the topic even came up. 🤣 

I showed him a photo of my DD Miku, and he was OK with her, maybe because he likes anime and is cool with anime figures. He thought my resin Doll Chateau guy with a fantasy faceup was still unsettling, though. Admittedly, that doll is kind of unusual. 😅

Meggiekarp

My Mom once stopped by my room, looked at my DDS and MDD, and said they're creepy. 

I was like "they're bigger versions of my anime figures and you collected dolls too?"

I'm still bemused. 

I showed him a photo of my DD Miku, and he was OK with her, maybe because he likes anime and is cool with anime figures. He thought my resin Doll Chateau guy with a fantasy faceup was still unsettling, though. Admittedly, that doll is kind of unusual

Pretty sure DC's aesthetic is literally "unsettling" lol

Edited by Meggiekarp
forgot to quote

42bdad38462f9e0e55136363ad50c3e2540275d465b58e2ee287546278681177fbfb1c7dcde945f5da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd8070948bdbe670fb79df22c7754c819f8b53f.png

jazijaz

I never heard bad comments from my family and friends. They make a face insinuating that they find the dolls creepy or weird but never said anything bad on my face. They just look and say "cute" or "cool". I think the only weird comment I got was when a black friend felt bad because I had no black dolls, he was like "all your dolls are white, why don't you have a black doll?" the darkest doll I have is a tan Iplehouse with green eyes and he mentioned how the only dark doll had light eyes so I felt very bad and self-conscious. I never actually paid any attention to the skin colors or features of my dolls. He was offended that no doll was black. I explained to him that black dolls were harder to get and more expensive. After that  I purchased a very beautiful dark skin girl with dark features but I got into a financial problem and black skin dolls are very fast to sell so I sold my girl :(( then after that I got into DDs and dark DDs are hard to get too.

So yeah, that was the only "bad" comment I got, one that made my friend and I feel bad. Before I got that comment from my friend I always liked dark skin dolls, I always wanted to get a SOOM BJD in a dark skin color but I always missed the preorders. I stopped collecting BJDs, now my focus is on DDs and I want my next DD to be dark skin. 

Corgi

I heard a few comments about doll being creepy in general but never been directly said towards my dolls. I think it's because they are/were my friends and family and they didn't want to insult what I like. They mostly say they, themselves, are scared of doll in general. Characters doll for some reason people are okay with because  they are "giant action figure".

Siara

Wait...

Are you telling me our dolls aren't supposed to look creepy? 😧 Great, now I know why I don't have friends.

Joking aside, I'm already such an odd anti-social shut-in that me enjoying 'creepy' dolls would be the least of their worries. To be honest I value honesty so if someone thinks my dolls are ugly or creepy that's fine. I'd love to ask them to elaborate and tell me why. Seeing your dolls through someone elses eyes can be quite refreshing.

That said, I find people way more creepy/scary than dolls. I've yet to see one that worries me.

Edited by Siara
  • Like 2

Akai Okami

I've been in the doll hobby for 11 years now and yeah, I've gotten this sort of comment a lot. What I find curious is that it's always unsolicited. It's never when I am showing off a doll or sharing a photo...It's someone walking by or coming up to me just to say that. Mostly my family is quick to shove their not-so-nice  opinions of my dolls on me. (Though at this point they are desensitized xD) But I wonder what it is about dolls that makes people feel the need to speak up. 

In the end, it doesn't bother me....just makes me wonder about peoples bad manners and self control! 🤔

• Like 1

obitsu_sig.jpg.b3c45109fdd3585a9f55346abae64554.jpg

SiofraLu

My first collectors dolls were porcelain dolls, which pretty much everyone agrees are creepy, and my friends would tell me so when they slept over (and to be honest in the middle of the night I could swear I see them move too) so I guess I just grew up with the creepy comments. My husband and I are horror movie buffs, so we tease each other about it all the time (he jokes about locking them up), and my wishlist includes a Cheshire Cat BJD whose promotional pictures included him wielding an axe. 😺

Tasuke

i was once a far more open/trusting person, to a serious fault, even.

i was active on a Retro Video Gaming forum long ago, and, making the mistake of attempting to share my Anime doll collection, i was immediately ostracized as a "Pervert, Pedophile and overall Creep"

needless to say, i'm far more circumspect these days about to whom and where i even consider sharing my girls.

most people out there simply Will Not Understand how any adult, let alone a full-grown man, could ever be remotely comfortable socially damning themselves by being into a hobby that revolves around accumulating Character Dolls of Cute, childish-faced teen girls and very young adults.

what can i say? some of us Weirdos are just magnetically attracted to the gentle, syrupy-sweet innocence, the total sense of embodiment of warm, unconditional love and understanding, that these sorts of characters and the better examples of their associated dolls and figures, simply seem to exude from every pore.

i simply see them as Gifts. manifestations and examples of God's love, shining within a world growing ever colder and indifferent, seemingly by the day.

a trifle Melodramatic, i'll admit, but, There you Are...

Edited by Tasuke
  • Like 5

2020164095_ANightatKonomi12-18-23550px.Horizont..png.35eaba54e8b03fbe6a7f7cd252209e94.png

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, Tasuke said:

i was once a far more open/trusting person, to a serious fault, even.

i was active on a Retro Video Gaming forum long ago, and, making the mistake of attempting to share my Anime doll collection, i was immediately ostracized as a "Pervert, Pedophile and overall Creep"

Some elements of gaming culture are very toxic, like with the #Gamergate movement,

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

SiofraLu
16 hours ago, Tasuke said:

what can i say? some of us Weirdos are just magnetically attracted to the gentle, syrupy-sweet innocence, the total sense of embodiment of warm, unconditional love and understanding, that these sorts of characters and the better examples of their associated dolls and figures, simply seem to exude from every pore.

i simply see them as Gifts. manifestations and examples of God's love, shining within a world growing ever colder and indifferent, seemingly by the day.

I honestly don't get why more people don't understand this! For most of my life I surrounded myself with all things bright and cheerful because that was what I needed. As an adult I have learned to accept and embrace the less cheery parts of life (and myself) but I still often indulge in uncomplicated, innocent positive feelings, especially on bad days. 

On a totally different note though, I apologize for being a total, albeit female, pervert and giving us all a bad name. I can't help my love for busty ladies. @onion4@  

baldylox
5 hours ago, SiofraLu said:

On a totally different note though, I apologize for being a total, albeit female, pervert and giving us all a bad name. I can't help my love for busty ladies. @onion4@  

Don't apologize!  I'm right there with you and so are many others!  My Manami has huge silicone hooters that she LOVES showing off.  I let her wear whatever she likes and have no issues bringing her to outdoor and public meets.  Sure, we get some odd looks here and there but whenever we get the chance we let people squish those beautiful boobies and it always makes them smile and laugh.  THAT is what the hobby is all about.... having FUN!  <3  

Have some boobies to make you smile!  This is Midori, one of my android girls. She's got 2XL Wersaze silicone boobs.... and I love them.  😄

Billy

DSC_1711.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

bigpalebluejuice

I took Miku to the arcade once so I could take her picture next to the Project Diva machine, and everyone seemed to like her! But later in the food court I had her sitting in one of the chairs so I wouldn't get any food on her, and she got several double takes from people walking by😂

Tasuke

i would imagine so!! how often does the average Mall-Hopper get to suddenly just stumble upon a sight of such otherworldly charm and beauty?

Edited by Tasuke
  • Like 2

2020164095_ANightatKonomi12-18-23550px.Horizont..png.35eaba54e8b03fbe6a7f7cd252209e94.png

sahn

When I got my first doll (a DDS Kagamine Len) my roommate thought he was creepy, over time though she really warmed up to the look of dolls and thinks all of mine are really cute. She gives me stuff like hairpins or other miscellaneous old decorations that are doll-sized now. I haven't had the courage to bring them out in public though outside of isolated hiking trails I take pictures at. Maybe I will bring Len to 2020 Miku Expo though. 😆

• Like 2

Mega Negi

I'm bringing Miku and Luka to the San Jose show.

Poofiemus
On 10/25/2019 at 8:23 PM, sky said:

When I got my first doll (a DDS Kagamine Len) my roommate thought he was creepy, over time though she really warmed up to the look of dolls and thinks all of mine are really cute. She gives me stuff like hairpins or other miscellaneous old decorations that are doll-sized now.

My grandmother actually kind of went through this lol. She didn't actually use the word creepy, but I could tell she was totally weirded out by Agatha. Once I got a less boobsy doll, Nanoha, she was at least a bit tolerant. Then I lived with her for a few months after college, and she's definitely got a bit of a soft spot for fully assembled dolls now. . . she is, however, still really creeped out by disassembled body parts. LOL

My mom, on the other hand, has thought they were cool from day 1 and has gotten pretty good at scoring props and furniture for them at Goodwill. We freely joke that the dolls are her grandchildren, ie, "Okay, next time I come visit, which plastic grandchild do you want me to bring?" She sculpts fairies, and is also a bit morbid, so she thinks disassembled parts are kind of hilarious.

I've definitely had strangers or acquaintances call the dolls creepy, but usually it's such a kneejerk response that I honestly find it kind of funny. I usually just shrug and say, "they're not for everyone", but if I'm feeling petty, I may say something more like, "You should see them when I take them apart for maintenance!"

One time I brought Agatha in to a college class because a classmate was thinking of getting a BJD herself. The teacher for that class was cool but also liked to tease students, so when he saw Ags, he walked up to the desk, and then did this. . . weaving head thing, like a bird. I looked at him for a sec, and he said, "Her eyes are following me. I feel like I'm being watched." IIRC I said something like, "Yeah, she does that. You get used to it."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

shinkei

I bring my dolls to the office sometimes and my office mates have varying comments about them. While some are really nice, I've been also asked if I was ever scared of them suddenly coming to life. To those comments, I simply answer "Yeah, I wish. That way they could find themselves their own jobs and buy their own clothes." ^^;

• Haha 4