Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Creepy Doll Comments

Emil
17 hours ago, apag22 said:

A few months back, I was trying to decide between a few Smds. I posted in a facebook group called "I group that makes small decisions for you" to try and help come to a decision. A majority of the comments were telling me I "better not put the doll in a jar" or if I was going to have "relations" with them 🤮 a few BJD collectors popped up in the comments saying they were excited for me to get another, but I eventually had to mute the thread because the unwarranted sexual comments were SO much. I should've known better than to post about dolls in a group that isn't part of the hobby... I did end up picking out Felicity, though!

I've had a lot of issues with this too 🙁 in discord servers I'll talk about my dolls sometimes and people assume they're for NSFW things, and it's always creepy because I've expressed several times (and often have roles stating) that I'm a minor... I just want to enjoy a hobby, but people make it so hard sometimes. I think they're the weird ones for jumping straight to that conclusion. Get your mind out of the gutter 😕 

• Like 1

MagnoliaCamellia AmaryllisCarnationHyacinth Bluebell | Alyssum ClematisEmilia Dahlia | Gardenia Hydrangea

~ Florens Academy of Witchcraft ~

RuffleChuu

My friend thinks my dolls are creepy, but they are just creeped out by dolls/robots in general. Everyone else I know has generally been supportive of my hobby and even helped me choose outfits for my dolls!

Misuka

Years ago at a doll meet, I remember the group was moving through a park, a woman passing by saw the dolls and I will never forget her face - what I could only describe as terror or horror.

But she was the only one. Generally, people loved to see the dolls, many people of all ages came up. Old women wanting to see them, children, adults who were curious, etc.

Mizuumi-no-Otome

I've always collected dolls with at least some level of openness, so I kind of naturally repel people who wouldn't approve of my dolls, but I do still get comments and weird looks every now and again from strangers or new acquaintances. I usually just brush it off or, depending on my mood, entertain myself by leaning into the "Creepy doll lady" thing, I'm already a very morbid person (very much giving Aubrey Plaza vibes) so sometimes it's fun to just be like "Ya I use them to store the souls of virgins I've sacrificed to the dark lord for eternal youth" lol 

My mom generally thinks my dolls are cool or, in the least, appreciates the artistry behind them!

Edited by Mizuumi-no-Otome

SleepingElf

My husband used to think my dolls were creepy. Once when we were dating he asked me to turn them around when we were hanging out in my room lol He's come around a bit now, even expressed that it was cool how my Obitsu could do a bunch of poses that the Pullips can't. Doesn't really bother me, no one has ever been mean or cruel to me even if they find my dolls unnerving.

ragnamuffin

One of my best friends likes to make fun of me for collecting dollies, and I always throw it back at her since she’s a huge Chucky fan. The last time she said something, I told her I was going to buy a hand with articulated joints just so my dolly could flip the bird at her 🙃

• Haha 3

Nekome

My family doesn't care what I buy, and my best friend has always been supportive even if she doesn't care for it herself. I still get a little embarrassed about having dolls as an adult, which is silly because it's not like kids are keeping the BJD/Vinyl doll industry going XD 

ragnamuffin
3 hours ago, Nekome said:

which is silly because it's not like kids are keeping the BJD/Vinyl doll industry going XD

I’m always in awe when the occasional user here mentions being a student and/or a minor. I collected 1/6 Asian fashion dolls in high school/university, but I never could have afforded a 1/3 scale doll back then! And even though I can afford it now, it took me ages to become okay with spending that kind of money on a hobby.

• Like 2

battrastard
2 hours ago, ragnamuffin said:

I’m always in awe when the occasional user here mentions being a student and/or a minor. I collected 1/6 Asian fashion dolls in high school/university, but I never could have afforded a 1/3 scale doll back then! And even though I can afford it now, it took me ages to become okay with spending that kind of money on a hobby.

To be honest, even the cheapest Kiddo I've picked up still cost nearly $500. 

Body, head, Eyes and wig, even trying to cut the budget as best as you can, is almost near that mark, dollar-wise.

Add in outfit(s), depends on what you're willing to spend on her appearance, $60+ for just basics. 

I'd say I'm into the $700 mark or more, each, for just my first four, I stopped adding it up when I pre-ordered the Touhou Mochi-ashi, (I paid for both) and my DDS Marisa, and both Saber Alters... 

refuse to even try to wrap my brain about what @baldylox has put into his Kiddos over the last ten+ years. @onion17@ You're my hero, dude... 

• Haha 1

"Madness takes it's toll, Please have exact change!"

Oculae

I've been very lucky thus far - the only comment I've heard about my dolls being creepy is from my mom, and I literally asked for her opinions on my dolls, so I'll let it slide. It's ONLY Olive, too. All the other friends I have are totally fine. 😂

IMG_20200731_151421_133.jpg.cc6300d02d6d85e9b9474726d7bfd351.jpg

I think it's the red hair. Chucky-esque, perhaps!

• Like 2

tumblr_o9govtKpFv1v9twgko1_400.gif.eae368d3c0bfc2a75087167170705ec2.gifPlease ping me when replying!

Tasuke

i had a Nephew that i more or less grew up with once make a crack about my "Barbie"

when i had my first-ever Anime doll over at my grandma's place back in the early-2000's...

TENCHI%20MUYO%20Dolls%20-%20TOYNAMI%2020

IM001062_zpsd6a5badc.jpg?width=1920&heig

Ayeka%20TOYNAMI.jpg?width=1920&height=10

Edited by Tasuke

2020164095_ANightatKonomi12-18-23550px.Horizont..png.35eaba54e8b03fbe6a7f7cd252209e94.png

baldylox
21 hours ago, battrastard said:

refuse to even try to wrap my brain about what @baldylox has put into his Kiddos over the last ten+ years. @onion17@ You're my hero, dude... 

Ha ha!  I'm no hero sir but I do appreciate the compliment!  After being in the hobby for over 11 years now, I've seen some things.  And while some of my ladies have indeed cost me a pretty penny ( Saber Blue re-issue, original Tamaki ) a lot more of them have been pretty good deals.  Some were $300 or less.  It's like I tell people over and over, if you take your time and put in the homework to figure out what things cost on the aftermarket, look in all the places for used and new girls that you can, talk to as many people as you can and learn all you can about the dolls you're interested in then deals will surface.  Network.  Put yourself out there and let your friends know what you're after.  Help others find what they're after.

After all this time, I've seen Dollie Karma at work and trust me, it's a real thing. You do right by people and they'll do right by you.  The things you want will come to you.... it may take quite a few years but if you're patient and hold out for the girl you want at the price you want, it'll eventually happen.  It took me over 6 YEARS to get one of my unicorn girls Tamaki from To Heart 2.  She always sells for stupid money and I told myself I wasn't paying over $1000 for her even tho just her head routinely sold for $800 or more.  But a friend saw one pop up on Mandarake for $900 complete and told me about it.  I pulled some strings and was able to grab her.  So don't think you can't get what you want, you can.  It just takes time and some work.... and some really good enabling friends that enjoy spending your money. 😄 

Oh, I do keep track of how much I pay for the girls I adopt as well as when they arrived and who I bought them from.  But when it comes to clothing, I don't even try.  There are a few hard to find sets I keep tabs on like Miku's Ribbon Girl set or the Bunny Magician girl set for Akira but otherwise I couldn't tell you how much I've spent on the girls clothing and shoes and accessories.  I actually don't really WANT to know.  LOL

Billy

• Like 3

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

BeyondTime
28 minutes ago, baldylox said:

She always sells for stupid money and I told myself I wasn't paying over $1000 for her even tho just her head routinely sold for $800 or more.  But a friend saw one pop up on Mandarake for $900 complete and told me about it.  I pulled some strings and was able to grab her.  So don't think you can't get what you want, you can.  It just takes time and some work.... and some really good enabling friends that enjoy spending your money.

People should always keep in mind that DDs are really easy to repair, destain, and find parts for. You can get some great deals on a doll that isn’t mint, and you can make her mint with effort. Someone’s unwanted doll that they didn’t take good care of can become your treasure for much less than NIB.

There are definitely pros and cons to the size of the collection, but one great thing about a large collection is they surround me all the time. Right now I’m sick but all my girls are smiling down at me from their shelves and it’s kind of uplifting.

There is a scene in episode one of Ah My Goddess that sort of embodies that concept.

As far as people who don’t approve of the hobby?

#$^& ‘Em!

• Like 3

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

baldylox
1 minute ago, BeyondTime said:

People should always keep in mind that DDs are really easy to repair, destain, and find parts for. You can get some great deals on a doll that isn’t mint, and you can make her mint with effort. Someone’s unwanted doll that they didn’t take good care of can become your treasure for much less than NIB.

THIS.  I learned this a long time ago when money was tight and I couldn't afford a new body for a girl because her spine broke or her thighs were stained badly.  Doing your due diligence pays off so much when you can figure out how to repair your girls or ones that are on sale for cheap and make them just like new again.  Plus that time spent with her, repairing her and fixing her up and giving her another chance at life brings you closer together and makes a strong connection.  At least it does for me.

There are definitely pros and cons to the size of the collection, but one great thing about a large collection is they surround me all the time. Right now I’m sick but all my girls are smiling down at me from their shelves and it’s kind of uplifting.

Yep!  I'll have an absolutely abysmal day at work and come home in a horrible mood but one look at my little ladies and that slowly ebbs away.  They're always there for me and always happy to see me.  Dressing them up and brushing their hair and having them sit on my lap while I watch TV or play online really calms me down and soothes me.  <3 

As far as people who don’t approve of the hobby?

#$^& ‘Em!

Yep, right again!  Is it their money?  Nope.  Is it hurting them?  Nope.  Is it any of their business?  Nope.  Do I give a sh-t at all what anyone thinks of me and my hobby?  NOPE.  I enjoy my hobby the way I want to and my friends in the hobby do the same.  A hobby is supposed to be FUN.  When a hobby loses that fun then why do it?  I don't rag on anyone spending $50K on a wristwatch or $250K on a sports car.  If it makes them happy and they can afford it and it's not harming anyone then have at it!  Do what you like!  

Sorry for going so off topic but I just had to reply to these statements.  😉 

Billy

• Like 3

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

BeyondTime
5 hours ago, baldylox said:

I don't rag on anyone spending $50K on a wristwatch or $250K on a sports car.

Well, a Ferrari 308 GTS has always been my dream car. 😛

• Haha 3

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

MaleficentMrsofEvil

So far - long hair, don't care what other people think of my dolls.

My mother was horrified by how many dolls I have, although she was slightly mollified by the fact that I plan to sell a lot of them. But mostly, my collection is playline dolls (Barbies, etc.) that I picked up on clearance, so... what's the problem, Mom? 🥱

Edited by MaleficentMrsofEvil
  • Like 1

frollywoggy
19 hours ago, baldylox said:

Yep, right again!  Is it their money?  Nope.  Is it hurting them?  Nope.  Is it any of their business?  Nope.  Do I give a sh-t at all what anyone thinks of me and my hobby?  NOPE.  I enjoy my hobby the way I want to and my friends in the hobby do the same.  A hobby is supposed to be FUN.  When a hobby loses that fun then why do it?  I don't rag on anyone spending $50K on a wristwatch or $250K on a sports car.  If it makes them happy and they can afford it and it's not harming anyone then have at it!  Do what you like!  

I agree with this 100%! I don't have any expensive dolls yet, but I'm planning to order one before the year's over. During the process of saving money and doing research to reach this goal, I've had so many people ask about this hobby and be shocked when I tell them how much these dolls usually cost. Some of them even try to convince me not to get one, saying it's "wasteful" and "too much money to spend for something that just sits there". Honestly, there's lots of things that people buy for insane amounts of cash that "just sit there", and it's not like their choices negatively affect us, and ours don't negatively affect them. So, say it louder for the people in the back! It's not hurting anyone, it makes us happy, and people can do what they like. (Sorry for continuing the off-topic part a bit longer.)

On subject, I do have a different anime-ish (and off topic) doll that I find absolutely adorable. After I got her, I was super excited to show off my new girl to my family and relatives and was super surprised when most of them thought she was creepy. When they found out that her hair is a wig and I can swap it out, not to mention that I can remove her eyes, let's just say it didn't help things. Now, whenever the extended family comes around, I tend to put her away in a safe place where she won't be constantly ridiculed. I don't mind if they find my doll creepy, it'd just be nice if they could keep it to themselves. I hope my next girl will receive a warmer welcome...

Edited by Momomochi
Spelling mistakes
  • Like 4

"And after the artist has been long gone, turned to dust, the art remains." -Spiritfarer

BeyondTime
5 hours ago, Momomochi said:

and "too much money to spend for something that just sits there". Honestly, there's lots of things that people buy for insane amounts of cash that "just sit there"

That can be said of any work of art, but perhaps the issue is that most people probably see dolls as toys and not art. 

• Like 5

ragnamuffin
On 10/10/2021 at 4:51 AM, Momomochi said:

On subject, I do have a different anime-ish (and off topic) doll that I find absolutely adorable.

Oooh, please do post pics in the Off-Topic board!

Bellatrix

Most of my friends find my dolls creepy lol I am used to it by now. But it always breaks my heart a little.

• Sad 1

df64a03a777dc9f9a060ef6b286773b3-1.gif    ✩ 𝓥𝓲𝓬𝓽𝓲𝓶 𝓸𝓯 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓑𝓮𝓵𝓵𝓪𝓭𝓸𝔁 ✩

Tasuke

so much of my generation growing up around the likes of the "CHILD'S PLAY" films, probably didn't exactly help things overmuch.

also, plenty of grandmothers back then that collected some rather strange-looking, -often downright off-putting- vintage dolls.

those two items alone likely did plenty of lasting damage to generations,

ensuring that most will never be able to view any large-scaled doll as anything less than unnerving, on some sort of elemental level,

straight on through to even the most impossibly-adorable, Anime-styled dolls that we enjoy today....

Edited by Tasuke

2020164095_ANightatKonomi12-18-23550px.Horizont..png.35eaba54e8b03fbe6a7f7cd252209e94.png

frollywoggy
On 10/14/2021 at 12:53 AM, ragnamuffin said:

Oooh, please do post pics in the Off-Topic board!

I'll see what I can do, though I don't actually photograph her all that much, she's just a bit difficult to work with lol

Edited by Frollywog

"And after the artist has been long gone, turned to dust, the art remains." -Spiritfarer

Noxxbunny
16 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

I got this recommended to me yesterday too! Lol. An interesting read. I'm tempted to follow it up by also reading the book they refer to in the article, but I'd feel bad using my boyfriend's access to the University library for just that, since they apparently have it available...😂

• Like 1

Current Crew: Kaito(DDH07), Miles(DDH06), Lyca(DDH-10), Hotaru(DDH09), Kagamine Rin, Maron(DDH01), Mikuo(Snow Miku), Nagisa(DDH01)

xtedvisuals

For my personal experience, people not in our hobby basically find my dolls creepy.  From IRL friends/family to online communities.  Most notably, for FFXIV now that Y'shtola was announced.  A shame but it is what it is.  When I finally started doing toy photography, I am slowly learning to just not care if it's towards mine.  That said, I do take exception to people that take their time to shame us and our hobby on social media like it's the most disturbing thing in the world.  At this point, I will just think it's out of ignorance or malice.