Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

marcecloud

So my mom DROPPED Miku...

marcecloud

spacer.png

I cannot catch a break with wigs! I made the mistake in July of letting my cousin’s girlfriend brush Miku’s original wig- she used the tail brush on her bangs and thus super messed up the tails. 😑 The only way to fix them would be to undo them and redo them with a new band, but I’m not good with my hands (I’m on the spectrum and can’t tie my own shoes) and I know no one that’s confident enough to try.

So a month later my dream Miku outfit suddenly appears on eBay- and for $100 less than what it would be if Mandarake had it in stock! I buy it glad that I can replace her wig with one that’s less sad to look at. The outfit was never used but the wig had been through a repair already (probably why it was cheaper, but it’s not like any others were/are available for sale). The repair job was really good, you really couldn’t tell without knowing. And then she fell... and part of it got undone. 

How would I go about getting this fixed? Since no one I know feels even comfortable messing with these wigs is there somewhere I could send it to? I’d prefer going to someone in person so I don’t accidentally mess it up while trying to get the wig back on. I live in rural northeast PA, but since I have family in north NJ if there’s a place in NJ or NY I can actually go there. Like are doll hospitals a thing that I can even take this (and honestly the original wig too) to? At this point I’ve learned absolutely NO ONE can touch her except for me, but I’d really like this fixed so I have something truly worth fiercely defending. 

tl;dr My mom dropped Miku and her already once repaired wig got somewhat messed up. How do I, someone with no skills that knows no one with any skills, fix it?

spacer.pngIt’s not particularly noticeable from the front as you can see here so I have some relief, but gah does it bug my inner need for it to be just right.

HazelMaze

Hey there! This sounds like it's been a pretty upsetting experience,but unfortunately these things can happen to the best of us.Wigs are notorious for getting mussed. If it's any consolation, it definitely doesn't look too bad.

There are not really many "doll hospitals" around. But you have a couple options, though I can't speak to your exact location. American Girl stores, the very official ones, do have a hair service/"salon" for dolls, and I'm sure they would help you out there. You could also look to see if local hairdressers would be willing to fix it for you. You could also reach out to your local "playline doll" groups and see if someone could help, or perhaps a local toy shop/antique store. Heck, I found out in my city we have a toy museum,and they know a toy refurb guy.

Barring all of that, you can consider working toward the diy method! I understand there is a very real limitation when it comes to coordination, but maybe you could get to a point where you are able to have the wigs look neat, if not 100% perfect, to make yourself feel better. You may come to even enjoy wig styling over time,and it sounds like there is at least one really borked wig you could practice on. I understand if you feel that is 100% not an option, but if nothing else it could be a fun side project.

cfx

I would also consider looking for a hair stylist that does (human) wig styling. A Dollfie Dream wig is just a smaller version of that, and it can't hurt to ask.

BeyondTime
6 minutes ago, cfx said:

I would also consider looking for a hair stylist that does (human) wig styling. A Dollfie Dream wig is just a smaller version of that, and it can't hurt to ask.

I'd just make the observation that these are professionals who likely want paying work they can fit in between other paying work, so it really doesn't hurt to ask.

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Dollfie-Sarah

I know a few BJD people on Instagram that restyle wigs. 

I have never used one but 

Maiya_ng work looks great 

Beani
20 hours ago, cfx said:

Considering there is a hair salon in Akiba that does doll wigs this seems like a good option to try! http://fuwat.jp/wig/ (the photos for the doll haircut are so flipping adorable)

Edited by Beani

cfx
1 hour ago, Beani said:

Considering there is a hair salon in Akiba that does doll wigs this seems like a good option to try! http://fuwat.jp/wig/ (the photos for the doll haircut are so flipping adorable)

Yes, very cute. I was thinking I'd seen something similar and found it again: Part 1 and Part 2

I also seem to recall @ramcoy had Sheryl's hair re-curled at a salon.

• Thanks 1

Aziel2000

The wig is available to purchase from volks usa 

https://volksusastore.com/webstores/dollfie/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=11475

Aziel2000
7 minutes ago, cfx said:

That is Miku's default wig, not the Ribbon Girl wig that was messed up here.

Opps sorry . Good to know there are different versions of Miku wigs :)

cfx

Miku is fairly unique in that respect; a number of her outfits come with their own unique wigs.

Tokimemofan

Heres the instructions Volks sent me.

1)      For the main wig part: Please take a small silicone band and
carefully gather up the hairs that originally led to the ponytail (please
reference the hair in your pictures 1 and 2)

2)      For the ponytail part: Please take the metal prong and carefully
insert it into the gathered hair and silicone band on the main wig

3)      Reinforcing: Please use a needle and thread to weave through and
around the prong/gathered hair area as needed to ensure the two remain
joined securely.

Please note that the wig may not be able to be bundled back together in
quite the same way as it was originally. Throughout these steps, please take
care to style the area to your liking!

After the two parts are reattached, you can then style the wig as you would
have before.

• Like 3