Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Manaphyyy

Celia's got a new face! (SmD Genesis)

Manaphyyy

I was very nervous to wipe her default faceup (even if I have a specific idea for a doll, I feel so bad wiping someone else's work), but I'm really happy with how she ultimately turned out. In general, I tend towards more stylized faceups anyway, but this was my first time doing one this anime-esque.

50243832347_1b88083152_z.jpg20200815_014929 by Manaphyyy, on Flickr

This was the first attempt, which I wiped pretty quickly. The way I did her eyes made them look pretty far apart and her smile was a bit too flat/wide. I also tried giving her nostrils to try and have her fit in more with my resin girls, but it looked a bit uncanny so I ended up not doing that the second time.

50243623576_5b0226a348_z.jpg20200817_004627 by Manaphyyy, on Flickr

50242986943_805756934d_z.jpg20200818_214632 by Manaphyyy, on Flickr

After looking for a few more examples closer to what I wanted, I started again, and this is what I ended up with. I'm not 100% satisfied with the eyebrows, but they're mostly hidden so it's not the end of the world (she'll probably get a new faceup again eventually anyway). I'm always learning with faceups, and I'm glad Celia looks more like I want her to now. 💖

Bonus silly headless shot:

Spoiler

50243832077_4f55953b73_z.jpg20200815_184301 by Manaphyyy, on Flickr

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Katsudon

So pretty! ;o; oh no I shouldn't have looked at the customisation forum because it's really showing me the potential of these dolls. You've done an excellent job :3 she's gorgeous!

• Like 1

Manaphyyy
On 8/21/2020 at 11:05 PM, KingyoNingyo said:

I love her new faceup so much!

Thanks! 💖

On 8/22/2020 at 5:37 PM, Katsudon said:

So pretty! ;o; oh no I shouldn't have looked at the customisation forum because it's really showing me the potential of these dolls. You've done an excellent job :3 she's gorgeous!

Thanks! I have a few dolls with default faces, but they just feel so much more "mine" when I do their faceups, etc. 

Manaphyyy

So I ended up redoing Celia's faceup--I have a few wigs I'd like her to wear, and the blue eyebrows were a bit limiting. It's pretty much identical to the previous faceup except for the eyebrows, and I tried to make the line work a bit more varied and delicate.

50374275087_a9d77055f8_z.jpg20200922_010452 by Manaphyyy, on Flickr

I'm not usually a fan of thin eyebrows like this, but I think they work well for her. 😄

• Like 3

daydreammoment

I really like what you did.  I just bought 2 Chaos heads and I am planning what to do. Of course, I don't know what skin tone they are yet. 🤪

• Like 1

Manaphyyy
5 hours ago, daydreammoment said:

I really like what you did.  I just bought 2 Chaos heads and I am planning what to do. Of course, I don't know what skin tone they are yet. 🤪

Ooo nice! May the dolly gods bless you with good luck and inspiration 🙏

daydreammoment

I keep imagining what I will do with each possibility. It’s very fun. The I suppose I will have to figure out where to find bodies for them!

• Like 1

Shuga

Celia is absolutely gorgeous!! It's so intricate, but dainty. <3

• Like 1

Manaphyyy
12 hours ago, Shuga said:

Celia is absolutely gorgeous!! It's so intricate, but dainty. <3

Aw, thank you so much!

Ai Priestess

What did you use to wipe the default faceup that she came with? I know acetone is commonly used but I thought that it’s harsh on vinyl. 

Manaphyyy
On 10/10/2020 at 9:42 AM, Ai Priestess said:

What did you use to wipe the default faceup that she came with? I know acetone is commonly used but I thought that it’s harsh on vinyl. 

Ack! sorry I didn't notice your question until now 😣 I did end up using acetone to wipe her face--I prefer 91% alcohol when I can help it, but it's a bit too weak to remove whatever paint is used on most vinyl dolls. I always rinse it off right when I'm done with warm soapy water, and I've never experienced issues using it on vinyl faces (hard plastic like kikipops and pullips on the other hand.....)

Starwaia

She's beautiful! I love seeing custom faceups on SMDs, it sometimes makes me wish I wasn't so attached to the default ones on mine. Maybe I'll try to snag a chaos head someday... or I'll have to *gasp* maybe maybe maybe not stick to my 3-SMD limit after all... 😧

But anyway it's also really cool seeing the various stages you went through to decide on a look! If I ever learn to do faceups, one of the things I'm looking forward to is not being afraid to mess them up because I'd just be able to try again. Default or otherwise limited faceups make me nervous because they're "irreplaceable"; my resin grail doll stays in her box because I'm scared to mess it up. Maybe if it did get messed up that would be it and I wouldn't have to worry so much but I definitely don't want that to have to happen!

Is your Celia a spellcaster by any chance? She gives me witch/magical girl vibes, but that may just be my impression.

Got less time to do doll stuff and more time to procrastinate. I'll try to be active here more discussion-wise but no pics or news for a while, unfortunately. Being busy sucks.

Currently watching BNHA, on season 4 and obsessed! (being in a fandom late makes dodging spoilers an issue tho :()
More into Nendoroids than BJDs rn, but I'm waiting for a grail of mine and also hoping to get back into that stuff soon!

Manaphyyy
On 2/4/2021 at 2:20 PM, Starwaia said:

She's beautiful! I love seeing custom faceups on SMDs, it sometimes makes me wish I wasn't so attached to the default ones on mine. Maybe I'll try to snag a chaos head someday... or I'll have to *gasp* maybe maybe maybe not stick to my 3-SMD limit after all... 😧

But anyway it's also really cool seeing the various stages you went through to decide on a look! If I ever learn to do faceups, one of the things I'm looking forward to is not being afraid to mess them up because I'd just be able to try again. Default or otherwise limited faceups make me nervous because they're "irreplaceable"; my resin grail doll stays in her box because I'm scared to mess it up. Maybe if it did get messed up that would be it and I wouldn't have to worry so much but I definitely don't want that to have to happen!

Is your Celia a spellcaster by any chance? She gives me witch/magical girl vibes, but that may just be my impression.

Thanks! One of the best things about doing my own faceups is that I don't worry too much about bringing my dolls places because if anything happens, I can just redo the faceup. Although, admittedly, I also mess around with my dolls with company faceups because a big part of the hobby for me is being able to handle them and make stuff for them 😅 (absolutely nothing wrong with keeping them pristine if that's how you enjoy the hobby, though!!)

You got it spot-on--Celia is intended to be a witch/magician, so I'm glad that was conveyed properly!

• Like 1