The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Rneiro

Is it possible to reshape and resize existing DDH eye sockets?

Rneiro

Warning: The wording of my post might look strange to you as I’m sleepy and have a question!

Hi! I want to buy a blank DDH-07 to permanently modify in order to create a custom look for my first BJD, a female Obitsu 60 (unnamed), to use for when she finally arrives at her new home in 2-3+ months. 😓

However, I’m having issues finding guides on permanently modifying DDH (or even Parabox-Obitsu) eye sockets by reshaping and resizing them with a craft knife and sandpaper.

Is it possible to reshape and resize eye sockets without messing it up to the point it becomes unusable in the first place?

Mainframe110

I haven’t necessarily changed the eye shape, but I’ve cut out the eye sockets of a head with the “flash” part still in (I don’t know what that part is actually called officially but it’s the heads they sell where you paint the eyes on instead of adding eyes inside.)

You’ll definitely want the pair of eyes you’ll be using on hand to check you’re not making the eyes too big. And it *can* be done with a craft knife and sandpaper..... carefully. A small Dremmel is best for the most control. You should also do a light sketch on the head of the new shape that you want it to become- make sure they’re symmetrical BEFORE making any cuts. For finishing, regardless if you’re using manual or electric tools, you’ll need a fine sandpaper to make sure everything is smooth.

Just take your time and keep checking the symmetry and how the eyes look in the head.

Edit: this is a popular mod so I’m most likely sure there is someone else who is much more qualified to give advice about this, especially from the aesthetic standpoint!

Edited by Mainframe110

Rneiro

Sorry for taking such a long time to respond! I actually forgot this post existed!

So, I was thinking of buying a closed eye head and then lengthening the eye holes a little to create a one-of-a-kind head.

I like the design/sculpt of DD’s collaboration character heads such as Anastasia (Idolmaster), Takane (Idolmaster), Emilia (Re:Zero) and Alisa (Godeater), but all are very pricy.

I’m trying to go for the look of a certain anime character without replicating or directly copying the licensed head sculpt. I already have some character ideas in mind! 

Also, do you know what a Dremmel tool is used for? I can’t find a definitive answer or explanation about it.

Edited by Rneiro

Gweneveryn
8 hours ago, Rneiro said:

Also, do you know what a Dremmel tool is used for? I can’t find a definitive answer or explanation about it.

Its spelled dremel, based on the company that initially produced them, a tool with sanding bits on the end using to file down pieces/edges. Its small and handheld, many doll customizers use them due to the degree of control they provide. Example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dremel-8220-Series-12-Volt-MAX-Lithium-Ion-Variable-Speed-Cordless-Rotary-Tool-Kit-with-30-Accessories-and-Case-8220-N-30H/203490547

• Like 1

Rneiro
On 4/9/2021 at 10:49 AM, Gweneveryn said:

Its spelled dremel, based on the company that initially produced them, a tool with sanding bits on the end using to file down pieces/edges. Its small and handheld, many doll customizers use them due to the degree of control they provide. Example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dremel-8220-Series-12-Volt-MAX-Lithium-Ion-Variable-Speed-Cordless-Rotary-Tool-Kit-with-30-Accessories-and-Case-8220-N-30H/203490547

The correct spelling is Dremel? My phone’s autocorrect showed red for both spellings, so I chose one spelling and stuck to it. Well, now I know! 😳

So this is the tool used to sand down lips and eyes from a doll head? I can’t believe I thought people used an emery board for that!

Bellatrix

Yup, usually Dremel helps to speed up the process, but when I started my face up journey, I began by using a sharp cutter and fine grained sandpaper :)

df64a03a777dc9f9a060ef6b286773b3-1.gif    ✩ 𝓥𝓲𝓬𝓽𝓲𝓶 𝓸𝓯 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓑𝓮𝓵𝓵𝓪𝓭𝓸𝔁 ✩