Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Mame

SmartDoll x DC

Maia
26 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

Same exact thoughts crossed my mind. She looks like a standard SmD in a very expensive cosplay outfit.  

I can remember my old Star Wars action figures from the 70s, a they at least attempted to look like the actors. 

I agree she looks just like kizuna just with a different face up and a outfit 

• Like 1

abs2891

Also, batgirl costume spotted 

888CA26C-72B6-4AAD-8781-9DCADBD5A052.jpeg

Edited by abs2891

BeyondTime
26 minutes ago, Mars said:

I agree she looks just like kizuna just with a different face up and a outfit 

Well… certain V1 Kizunas do think of themselves as Supergirls. 

• Haha 3

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

marishade

It is actually nice that she is finally prepped for sale. One less doll in the "future production" line. I am curious what Batgirl will look like as the outfit seems pretty good. I am not interested in buying either one. I might be interested in a Wonder Woman or Poison Ivy, but not much else. Her outfit does look great and I am happy to hear she is on the full vinyl body.

• Like 1

Miabird24

If that's what supergirl costs I don't even wanna think about Batgirl's price 😬

BeyondTime
Just now, Miabird24 said:

If that's what supergirl costs I don't even wanna think about Batgirl's price 😬

Only Bruce Wayne will be able to afford…

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Selenae

All I see is Kizuna v2 dressed up like Supergirl. Glad to see I'm not alone with that thought.

And that price, holy hell. Over 1k for a character doll he didn't even bother to create a new sculpt for, yiiiikes....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

BeyondTime
41 minutes ago, Selenae said:

Over 1k for a character doll he didn't even bother to create a new sculpt for, yiiiikes....

There is something rotten in the state of SmartDollLand. 

• Like 5

Selenae

@BeyondTime No kidding. I'm no fan of American comics (minus the MCU movies), but this screams 'scam' to me. When I buy character merch from any franchise, I expect figures/dolls to have a great, if not near perfect, resemblance to the character. If I were a Supergirl fan, this version would anger me. (And yes, I am that picky. Money and space are tight, lol)

If Danny thinks he's actually going to net American comic fans with this, he's in for a ruuuude awakening.

Edited by Selenae
  • Like 4

Anna-neko

¥120,000 for a vinyl girl who looks nothing like the character (either a comic art OR recent live action) and comes with no special props?

Laugh Harder Oh GIF - LaughHarder Oh SeriousFace - Discover & Share GIFs

The lvl of doll disassembly for dressing is interesting. The tights straight up havin a hole around the toes is 200% cosplayer problems

Edited by Chise
  • Haha 9

Lurks

Anyone else weirded out by the main outfit (ie everything but the boots, stockings, and belt) being denim material? It makes the whole thing look so strange and not very superhero-y.

I know he's got one of his patented warnings against buying the doll because the outfit has "a risk of staining", but like...if I know anything about vinyl dolls and denim material in dark colours, that thing is gonna stain so badly. Why in the world would you make the outfit out of material that's notorious for badly staining vinyl in the first place, especially when it looks so out of place on a superhero outfit? Is it just his weird wabi-sabi/weathered denim/apocalypse chic fetish kicking in?

When the inevitable backlash from DC fans and newbies who buy this without knowing much about vinyl dolls at all and find that their doll's body ends up looking like a giant bruise after a couple of weeks or months, Danny's gonna point to his warning and, I bet, have another hissy fit about "entitled people" who "don't deserve" the dolls and crack down even harder on everyone else by having even more hoops to jump over to purchase anything.

And that's not even getting into the fact that, like some of you are pointing out, the head isn't even a unique sculpt.

I dunno. At this point it's almost like he's self-sabotaging the business, whether he's aware of it or not. I know he loves to say he's not in it for the money or whatever and that he'd rather have his workers take it easy than satisfy customer demand...but there's a difference between having a business for the joy of it and treating your employees well vs. pitching a fit at any minor complaint and attacking/alienating your customer base so much that you tank your own business and your workers end up unemployed. I'm afraid Culture Japan may be heading for the latter result.

• Like 7

Subaru

Oh wow. My eyes popped out at the price. I can't fathom spending over a grand for a doll that doesn't include more complex items. The outfit looks well constructed and high quality but.... I dunno, I'd expect a little more than that

We don't know what the licensing fees are... So maybe that is ultimately affecting the final price?

Other than that, I'm glad she's full vinyl! 😉 

• Like 3

My wallet needs a vacation 💸
spacer.png
Blog Insta Ko-Fi Etsy

Maia

A semi-real sculpt would have been better than an anime one for super girl 

• Like 3

AliensOfGold

Holy hell!

if I wasn’t done with CJ, Danny and anything SmD related I would be now.

That price alone is absolutely ridiculous for a simple vinyl doll with barely any accessories.

Also what happened to the clean version? Never been a fan of that weathered denim he keeps pushing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Selenae

@Lurks I fully agree.

• Like 1

baldylox

So no one saw the little write up about the logo on the front of the outfit being an IRON ON?  An iron on logo.  For $1200 I would expect at the very least an embroidered patch sewn on or maybe even sewn into the outfit.  But an iron on?  With the crazy way you have to put on the outfit, that won't last more than 3 or 4 outfit swaps before it comes off.  But that's okay!  It's Wabi Sabi!  You're lucky to have it!  Now it's "Battle Damaged!"

If you can't tell, this whole thing really gets under my skin.  I'll say no more. 

Billy

• Like 14
  • Sad 1

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

moerunamida
5 minutes ago, baldylox said:

So no one saw the little write up about the logo on the front of the outfit being an IRON ON?  An iron on logo.  For $1200 I would expect at the very least an embroidered patch sewn on or maybe even sewn into the outfit.  But an iron on?  With the crazy way you have to put on the outfit, that won't last more than 3 or 4 outfit swaps before it comes off.  But that's okay!  It's Wabi Sabi!  You're lucky to have it!  Now it's "Battle Damaged!"

Wow, I hadn't even noticed that. That's mad! I'm still picking my jaw up off the floor from seeing that price. Dollfies seem like a bargain compared to that even dream choice with conversion fees.

• Like 3

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, Selenae said:

When I buy character merch from any franchise, I expect figures/dolls to have a great, if not near perfect, resemblance to the character. If I were a Supergirl fan, this version would anger me. (And yes, I am that picky. Money and space are tight, lol)

The lack of a proper sculpt should be embarrassing to the company. It just screams “can’t be bothered with details like that.”

1 hour ago, Selenae said:

If Danny think he's actually going to net American comics fans with this, he's in for a ruuuude awakening.

This comes off as an expensive cosplay for SmartDoll owners that just comes with a doll as an extra. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

AliensOfGold
16 minutes ago, baldylox said:

Yep. I’d expect that from a cheap outfit from a small producer or someone on etsy, but not from the man who’s constantly shoving “quality” not quantity down all our throats.

I bet you could find 1/3 scale patches on etsy.

Anna-neko
31 minutes ago, baldylox said:

So no one saw the little write up about the logo on the front of the outfit being an IRON ON?  An iron on logo. 

Absolutely!  It already looks half-peeling or damaged (badly printed? cracked from being looked at funny?) in spots (look at top & right) on the promo images themselves!! Literally 2nd photo is the closeup!
Iron ons? sure, Her Grace has some cosplay got frm FromSen which includes a crest thats an iron on. Guess what, it was priced accordingly & didn't need a game of super-secret-decoder passphrase to buy

He then has the audacity to warn about it being not perfectly ironed-on & it may come off from your fingers catching it.

Again, for this freakin price Volks gave us a full-set outfit (you've all heard me gush about the tiny embroidery detailing), custom face-up on a unique head-mold, armor and weapons! AND a pre-order that lasted a few weeks w/out need to play IP timer detective.
Ya want new business for ya hated competition? 'cause that's how u get that done

(sorry for constant edits, i cannot spell)

Edited by Chise
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Maia

Maybe the cracks is to go with the “weathered look”

• Like 2

monkeypizzasonic
1 hour ago, Mars said:

A semi-real sculpt would have been better than an anime one for super girl 

Theoretically but it's possible this was in the works before semi-real even came out, plus DComics would have had to approve it and I assume since this design got the go-ahead they wanted her to be anime.

moerunamida
16 minutes ago, Mars said:

Maybe the cracks is to go with the “weathered look”

That's not good. No self-respecting superhero would appear that weather worn and weary before battle!

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif