Baldylox

Mame

SmartDoll x DC

Maia

You could commission a custom outfit from someone and dye a wig 

BeyondTime
10 minutes ago, Plumo said:

I've posted a new topic about this because I didn't notice here =O

I went ahead and merged the two threads. 

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

AliensOfGold
55 minutes ago, Plumo said:

I love her, and I do understand the price because of her outfit

I'm curious how have you come to the conclusion that a basic doll with an outfit set of any kind is worth $1200 ($1400AUD)?

As you said 2B was much cheaper and came with a buttload of extras.

Her dress (which I think from memory can become both forms of the outfit?)

Her boots

Stockings

Body suit

Extra hands including pegs

Head band

Mask

Unique face (🤪)

Wig

Virtuous Contract (huge sword)

Pod 042 including hefty stand

Probably forgetting something else

All of that for (I think it was) 95,000 yen.

As much as I love Supergirl I and I would hope many others aren't able to justify that price for the lacklustre offering he's put out. Also at the time of writing this she's still available. Maybe people aren't going to fall for the inflated price so easily?

Edited by AliensOfGold
  • Like 5

Emil
On 6/16/2021 at 6:43 PM, Mars said:

A semi-real sculpt would have been better than an anime one for super girl 

I really agree with this. I've watched the recent-ish live action show, and back when he teased Entropy and Genesis, all I could think of was how much they'd look like Supergirl/Kara and Alex! I honestly considered getting them and making them into those two characters because I really like the show 😄 maybe I'll try to get them secondhand one day... 

She would've been so pretty as a semi-real doll.

MagnoliaCamellia AmaryllisCarnationHyacinth Bluebell | Alyssum ClematisEmilia Dahlia | Gardenia Hydrangea

~ Florens Academy of Witchcraft ~

BeyondTime
9 minutes ago, barasuishou said:

I really agree with this. I've watched the recent-ish live action show, and back when he teased Entropy and Genesis, all I could think of was how much they'd look like Supergirl/Kara and Alex!

The very first post in the thread contains the original announcement. I’d forgotten all about it, but the announcement did specify that the DC collabs would be in the anime aesthetic. 

That still doesn’t excuse using a stock doll, nor does it mean you can’t make free with perfectly valid criticism of the choice of anime vs. semi-real. I’m just pointing out for everyone that the expectation was set at anime from the get go.   

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Emil
1 minute ago, BeyondTime said:

I’d forgotten all about it, but the announcement did specify that the DC collabs would be in the anime aesthetic. 

I do vaguely remember that! I just think that, as a character, Supergirl would be more suited to a semi-real style head 😄 

• Like 1

MagnoliaCamellia AmaryllisCarnationHyacinth Bluebell | Alyssum ClematisEmilia Dahlia | Gardenia Hydrangea

~ Florens Academy of Witchcraft ~

BeyondTime
14 minutes ago, barasuishou said:

I do vaguely remember that! I just think that, as a character, Supergirl would be more suited to a semi-real style head 😄 

I agree completely. 

20blackbags

This is what comes with super girl. Her suit, leggings, boots, flying hands, blue super pants, and stockings.

Base smart doll $$469.41 USD

Swingy Clickety-Click Stand $36.11 USD

Stockings (Red Earth) $31.60 USD

=$532.12

I guess the outfit cost around $500 the boots $100 and the hands maybe $25?

A2195C18-D284-4B03-9FD2-4561F9F09781.jpeg

0C45191C-C59C-4E23-A420-5B7DE52AB099.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

abs2891

In the world of smart doll clothing prices, tbh that doesn’t feel so far off brand - but when you consider that even other licensed smartdolls came in for less with full sets… one can assume the DC license cost more but it’s still a lot by comparison.

Seems she sold out in give or take two hours?  Obviously her selling out is good news for CJ but the fact that it took two hours feels like a small message that she wasn’t hitting all the buttons people were wanting (or that they’re just already broke from everything else - a common sentiment seems to be a desire for or having already purchased a blue girl)

Edited by abs2891

Plumo
1 hour ago, AliensOfGold said:

I'm curious how have you come to the conclusion that a basic doll with an outfit set of any kind is worth $1200 ($1400AUD)?

As much as I love Supergirl I and I would hope many others aren't able to justify that price for the lacklustre offering he's put out. Also at the time of writing this she's still available. Maybe people aren't going to fall for the inflated price so easily?

I am just thinking about SmD´s prices, clothes from his stores are 10X more expensives than my own

but I guess in Japan you would charge 25k for a complete outfit minus the boots from small business  (not that he is this small) 

Edited by Plumo

Starwaia

A lot of SMD shoes these days seem to cost over $100 so you might not be too far off, but add the fact that it's limited edition and the pricing of other SMD stuff and I'd say that isn't too out there for Smartdoll prices.

Got less time to do doll stuff and more time to procrastinate. I'll try to be active here more discussion-wise but no pics or news for a while, unfortunately. Being busy sucks.

Currently watching BNHA, on season 6 and obsessed! (being in a fandom late makes dodging spoilers an issue tho :()
More into Nendoroids than BJDs rn, but I'm waiting for a grail of mine and also hoping to get back into that stuff soon!

Plumo

And, after seeing her faceup I am afraid Harley (if she ever comes) will not have a nice makeup on her

AliensOfGold

Does anyone remember a tweet or Instagram post from sometime last year about the Supergirl outfits coming in and they weren’t up to his “quality” standards?

I’m wondering if he’s making the customer pay a little extra for another of his costly decisions or those that grabbed her are also paying a large portion of the license fee. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ChrisFhey
13 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

I actually liked the weathered one because of the darker colors, but seeing the S logo scratched up was a downer. 

This indeed. I know Mr. D is a huge wasabi wabisabi proponent, but when I'm paying ¥120k I would be very upset if the outfit was already scratched up when brand new.

Edited by ChrisFhey
  • Like 1

BeyondTime
18 hours ago, Plumo said:

I am just thinking about SmD´s prices, clothes from his stores are 10X more expensives than my own

That is the story of doll collecting. I spend far more on doll clothing than I do on my own, but the dolls bring me more happiness so I guess it’s worth it. 

Volks outfits have a better value, but the styles are quite different from SmartDoll. Volks tends towards more traditional, conservative, and very classic styles in their SD line. Their collaboration with Junichi Nakahara is a good example of this - timeless designs that are very beautiful, but you wouldn’t see a woman wearing those outfits on the street today. Their tenshi-no-koromo line for DD follows different rules, and they do everything from anime style cosplay outfits to bikinis under that brand.

SmartDoll clothes are often modern day street wear, something you would see a girl wearing as she walked around in New York, Tokyo, or Paris, but the prices are too high IMO. All my SmD clothing came with used SmartDolls because every time I went to buy clothing direct from Culture Japan the price stopped me from checking out. 

• Like 3

AliensOfGold
5 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

because every time I went to buy clothing direct from Culture Japan the price stopped me from checking out. 

You don’t like paying $100 for a small skirt and another $40 for DHL only shipping?

Danny’s stuff isn’t normal it’s the clothing of the post apocalyptic future where girl will walk around destroyed New York and Tokyo and apparently also go to school and loose all sense of style.

• Haha 1

BeyondTime
36 minutes ago, AliensOfGold said:

Danny’s stuff isn’t normal it’s the clothing of the post apocalyptic future where girl will walk around destroyed New York and Tokyo and apparently also go to school and loose all sense of style.

I’m referring to the jeans, shorts, t-shirts and the like. I see his post apocalyptic & space marines stuff as more along the lines of cosplay outfits akin to Volks Designer Collection or the more fanciful Tenshi-no-Koromo outfits.

Totally agree ¥7500 for a pair of short shorts or ¥20,000 for a worn out and scuffed jacket isn’t normal. XD

• Like 1

Plumo

I do make most of my dolls clothes, including nendroid's but I can't make shoes.

My doll has Jimmy Cho shoe... I would never in a million years lol 

AliensOfGold
2 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

I’m referring to the jeans, shorts, t-shirts and the like.

He still makes those?😜

• Haha 1

DollyDearest
1 hour ago, AliensOfGold said:

He still makes those?😜

yup.   in lavender 

20blackbags

Batgirl!

F8DCE35A-8B3C-4834-ACDC-FC7A1BA1ACA5.jpeg

36567A2A-173B-476F-9FFF-44343AEDE28D.jpeg

AliensOfGold

Who’s face does she recycle.

bbotss
5 minutes ago, AliensOfGold said:

Who’s face does she recycle.

She reminds me of Melody. Probably the eyebrows.

Also the outfit at first glance looks like it was made out of felt.

Eiko82

Gotta admit that she has a really cute smirk. 

Living at my place: Rise (DD Rise Kujikawa), Chie (Smart Doll Mirai) and Aisha (Smart Doll Kurenai)

abs2891

Looking at the comic, I get the colors but… well guess just goes to show I am out of touch with DC comics bc I find the harsh black of the mask really clashes with the outfit.  Maybe it’d help if the cape was darker or the outfit had a shiny finish as the artwork doesn’t come off quite as harsh… of course the first thing for shiny finish would be fake leather (breaks down) or real stuff ($$$) but like… even a Jersey/synthetic might go better than the denim… such an odd style choice that I guess they’ve decided will be a signature for the line?

(will say, without the mask, she is really pretty and I like the color of the wig)

Edited by abs2891
  • Like 3