The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

luna_Lillie

More "realistic" leaning Dollfie dream faceups?

luna_Lillie

Hello! I was wondering if it's possible to have a Dollfie dream faceup that, while still anime, Is more realistic? I guess something like the Dollfie icon look but on a dream sculpt.

RetroKanojo

Well, everything is possible. @onion9@

A custom face-up can totally change the look of a doll, however, depending on how realistic you want to go, some sculpts might be more suited than others.

alna-5496-1.jpg

Jadepixel has an Alna and a 2B that have a more 'realistic' face-up, for example.

48711236423_84876181a5_b.jpg 

This is a face up done by Koala Krash on a DD Matoi

And here's another 2B and a 9S:

And one more 9S for good measure:

As you can see, 2B and 9S have sculpts that lend themselves to more realistic face-ups. That doesn't mean you can't do it with others, but it depends on what look you're ultimately going for!

More examples: 

I believe this one is a DDH 09? https://www.instagram.com/p/CpUyOd9Sq1s/

This artist has a more realistic style https://www.instagram.com/miyajun385/

This artist has a couple more realistic face-ups, their Y'shtola is stunning https://www.instagram.com/p/CpFi-aLhu2j/

Edited by RetroKanojo
Added some more examples from Instagram
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

luna_Lillie
3 hours ago, RetroKanojo said:

Well, everything is possible. @onion9@

A custom face-up can totally change the look of a doll, however, depending on how realistic you want to go, some sculpts might be more suited than others.

alna-5496-1.jpg

Jadepixel has an Alna and a 2B that have a more 'realistic' face-up, for exam

Well, everything is possible. @onion9@

alna-5496-1.jpg

Jadepixel has an Alna and a 2B that have a more 'realistic' face-up, for example.

This is a face up done by Koala Krash on a DD Matoi

ple.

This is a face up done by Koala Krash on a DD Matoi

And one more 9S for good measure:

As you can see, 2B and 9S have sculpts that lend themselves to more realistic face-ups. That doesn't mean you can't do it with others, but it depends on what look you're ultimately going for!

More examples: 

I believe this one is a DDH 09? https://www.instagram.com/p/CpUyOd9Sq1s/

This artist has a more realistic style https://www.instagram.com/miyajun385/

This artist has a couple more realistic face-ups, their Y'shtola is stunning https://www.instagram.com/p/CpFi-aLhu2j/

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it. The examples you shared are amazing, I'm definitely going to take a look at the artists you shared.

• Like 1

Anna-neko

Maybe look for sculpts that have a more prominent nose? Thats already halfway to more realistic look right there!
Alna, Rise, Kosmos and of course 2B & 9S

• Thanks 1

BeyondTime
5 hours ago, RetroKanojo said:

Jadepixel has an Alna and a 2B that have a more 'realistic' face-up, for example.

As usual @jadepixel's work is awesome. 

5 hours ago, RetroKanojo said:

I may have to get a matoi head and have @Koala-Krash paint her. I'm thinking DDS with a girl-next-door "I could be a super-model if I wanted, but I'd rather just be me" kind of look. XD

34 minutes ago, Anna-neko said:

Alna, Rise, Kosmos and of course 2B & 9S

I can't speak to the others, but I've seen some amazing Kos-Mos & 2B customs. I would say Kos-Mos head is best with a DDS body and smaller bust sizes. She's a beautiful sculpt, but her head is really tiny.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Jezrah
6 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

I would say Kos-Mos head is best with a DDS body and smaller bust sizes. She's a beautiful sculpt, but her head is really tiny.

It depends on what you do with her head cap and wig. Her head ends up looking weird most of the time because of how low her head cap is. You can either cannibalize one from another smaller head, like maybe an 03, or use a wig with a stiff cap. I did the latter on my girl with a stiff cap ponytail wig.  If you poke her hair in the right place it squishes since her head cap is smaller.

It also helps if you play into her proportions being more like a real human rather than an anime character. I kept my girl on the DDIII L bust body, and she also uses the larger hands with French tip painted nails, for the greater detail. I want her to come across as a mature woman rather than the cute older girl that most DDs more resemble. I like to keep her in more adult clothing or period pieces too.

52665084625_6cebe5d6ce_c.jpg

(Also, sorry for stealing the thread as my girl has an enhanced default faceup so isn't strictly on topic.)

Edited by Jezrah
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

BeyondTime
14 hours ago, Jezrah said:

I want her to come across as a mature woman rather than the cute older girl that most DDs more resemble. I like to keep her in more adult clothing or period pieces too.

I think yours looks good the way she is setup, with mine I just found her head looks a tad too small on the DD body. 

14 hours ago, Jezrah said:

Also, sorry for stealing the thread as my girl has an enhanced default faceup so isn't strictly on topic.

I think your image shows the idea of a more realistic look pretty well.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

luckyk

I can't wait to see more Y'shtola customs. She's probably my favorite DD sculpt (besides Leita's 07). I wish Volks would release semi-realistic heads like 2B's as standard, I would snap them up!