Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
fallabeau_faebelle

3D Printing Advice

fallabeau_faebelle

Hello! 

I have a Dollfie Dream boy and my goal is to turn him into a Vtuber I like Ren Zotto. The Vtuber has some fun accessories like rings and horns and a tail that I wanted to add. I have these elvish ears for him that stay in place with magnets, so I was thinking I could keep the horns in place in a similar way either in the head or under the wig. When I ordered him through a fantastic proxy, she suggested a friend of hers who does custom nails could do the jewelry, but when she assessed the visual aids she said I'd need to actually 3D print those myself and do a custom job. 

So... I have no idea how to 3D print  

I'm trying to learn but it's a loooot of info! Any advice on how to do... any of it??? I know I can get 3D printing done either locally in my area or through places like Etsy, but don't know how to use any programs in order to make what I want get printed. Any ideas or advice on how to learn how to digitally sculpt stuff for this job? 

Yumeiro

Blender is free and has a lot of tutorials on youtube and beyond. Took a random one - just follow along and see how you like it.
I'm not too familiar, or keen on the sculpting part of the program though. (I've had my eyes on NomadSculpt, but since it doesn't have PC/desktop support yet I've not tried it...)

But getting the shape of horns, for example, is pretty easy in blender, and then you could import the file in another program for further sculpting/editing/detailing, (like SculptGL - it is basic, but easily accessible) as well.

And finally, there is also the option of checking if there are any models already available that you could scale to fit your doll, and yeah, getting a service to do the printing.

• Like 1

fallabeau_faebelle

Thank you so much!! This helps a lot! :)) 

Stupid_Hoomun

Where in the world are you located? I'm in the UK and have a couple of 3D printers so I could print the stuff you want. You would have to provide me the files to print from. I have software that I use to design things myself but all my design background is engineering so I'm not very good at designing 'artistic' looking things.

There is a website called Thingiverse that has lots of free files for 3D printing with and if there is something that matches what you're looking for but it appears to be too big or small, it is easy enough to resize to the scale required.

HTH

• Like 1

fallabeau_faebelle
20 hours ago, Stupid_Hoomun said:

Where in the world are you located? I'm in the UK and have a couple of 3D printers so I could print the stuff you want. You would have to provide me the files to print from. I have software that I use to design things myself but all my design background is engineering so I'm not very good at designing 'artistic' looking things.

There is a website called Thingiverse that has lots of free files for 3D printing with and if there is something that matches what you're looking for but it appears to be too big or small, it is easy enough to resize to the scale required.

HTH

Thank you!!! I'm in the United States, so it might be cheaper for me to look for more local options for now. But I super appreciate it! 

Oooh, I'll check that out too! Thanks :DDD 

• Like 1