Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

OrchidViper

Favorite resin BJD company or artist?

OrchidViper

I feel like there's so much variety in the hobby now, it's hard to pick just one favorite, but if you had to pick a favorite BJD company or artist, who would you choose?  What draws you to them?

Personally, I really love Peaks Woods! Their face sculpts have a peculiar style that I'm drawn to, especially the lips and the creases around the eyes. And their faceups are just so incredible, I have 2 and they're just so lovely irl! 

Roserolls

I think Huajing Doll and Asleep Eidolon have some of my fav resin sculpts. I've sworn off of buying more 1/4 or larger dolls for the time being, but MAN was I extremely tempted by both Huajing's Bella and Skadi ;-;. I've also decided for a while now that if I ever want a boy doll, he will probably be from Asleep Eidolon since their male sculpts are so gorgeous!

I think I'm drawn to the companies that have traditionally "pretty" or cutesy aesthetics but that still have some experimentation with body sizes and fantasy themes. I would love to own one of the Asleep Eidolon mermaids or slim 1/6 fairies! And I also like that Huajing makes 1/5 dolls, I wish that size was more popular!

0bsequi0us

Lately my favorite has been the Chinese artist Forest Doll! Mostly because they make a lot of interesting doll concepts that not many others are doing. They've made an anime styled Cyclops head, a Splatoon-like Octopus girl, and at least 3 heads that are just TV monitors. 😆 I always feel like they're doing something sorta weird, so they keep my attention.

• Like 2

OrchidViper

@Roserolls I'm not familiar with Haujing Doll, I might have to look into those! AE makes really pretty dolls, I've been tempted by snow pear and blueberry 

@0bsequi0us oooh I love weird dolls! Especially when it's something ethereal and unusual like Coral Reef or Dream Valley's bone butterfly. And the Cyclops is so cute 🥹

• Like 1

Riesz

I have two Loongsoul fullset boys now (Tao Tie demon boy and Shangling Xianjun) and they are incredible! I've been so above and beyond pleased with everything, from the quality of the clothing and accessories, to their beautiful faceups, and even how nicely they were packed and shipped. They don't seem very popular and it was difficult to find reviews and unboxing videos but I'm glad I took the plunge anyway. I try to gush about them to spread the word haha. I'm glad that Loongsoul is leaning more into the fantasy sculpts because they are so gorgeous. I have to admit I was pretty tempted by the recent White Dragon and Black Dragon fullsets.

I've also had an Asleep Eidolon fairy girl (Freya) for a few years now and she's held up very well with almost no yellowing at all. Faceup is still pristine and gorgeous too, so I can't brag enough about her either.

I'm really glad to have had such great experiences with resin BJDs thus far! I love fantasy sculpts and those aren't explored much in vinyl dolls so I've been loving all the options that are out there for resin.

584329644_Screenshot2024-02-26145800.jpg.c95a384204ceb576f5959ccb35870c32.jpg

844029229_Screenshot2024-02-26145527.jpg.45cf2a41110e33ae93c4dadfec294a20.jpg

1060715196_Screenshot2024-02-26145623.jpg.91b0d4b69a19a9cd3722c6da8b06a3cd.jpg

Edited by Riesz

Gamma Ray

It's kind of decided for me that my favorite is Iplehouse just based on the fact that they make up the vast majority of my BJD collection.

My three mature Iplehouse dolls are in this photo. SID Eva's in the leopard print bikini, then it's nYID Olivia in the blue and white bikini, and EID Jessica is in the multicolor knit bikini.

35562560471_8a23385ddc_c.jpg

And here are my beloved daughters. They're both little girls, JID Tania dolls. I have the Noctarcana Circus version on the left and the standard doll on the right.

53340760694_6ae3d4ed5c_c.jpg

• Like 1

OrchidViper
7 hours ago, Riesz said:

I'm really glad to have had such great experiences with resin BJDs thus far! I love fantasy sculpts and those aren't explored much in vinyl dolls so I've been loving all the options that are out there for resin.

I'm glad your experiences so far have been good! ^^ Definitely agree about fantasy sculpts! I've also been into fantasy colors lately, which I feel like is more common with resin than it is in vinyl. AE Freya is also super pretty! I really like her ears.

@Gamma Ray There really nice! I like the body shape of the mature dolls. It's nice to see the variety in what people collect! ^^

• Like 1

RozenGermain

Generally speaking, any company that makes fantasy sculpts has gotten my attention (and wallet). I just like weird concepts in general and most of my dolls aren't human characters anyway at least for now hehe! If you look at my non-fashion doll parts of my crew at least, there are only three characters that can be considered human.

Edited by RozenGermain
typo

MoiBakaDesu

I only dabble in anime style, when it comes ito resin as well, so I think I would say my favourites are Shoushou Doll and Sommungchi.

There is just something about their head sculpts that I really love.

• Like 1

Mayuri

I really love Gem of Doll with their great posing ability (especially with their 1/6), I think Abner was my first BJD that could kneel that well! 

Also Luts for their nice elf sculpts! 

And Angel of Dream for their insane fast delivery, very cute sculpts and great affordability due to being rather low priced 

Ofc the now non-existent Felixdoll with their Brownie are also awesome, they're 1/12 but double jointed... Given their size their posing is a bit wonky though but wiring/sueding helps a lot with that and the sculpts are very cute! 

OrchidViper

Love the diversity of collections here! 

@Mayuri Yesss Luts! I have 2 kid delfs, and I must say that their resin feels the nicest and most sturdy of my dolls. 

Mayuri
6 minutes ago, OrchidViper said:

@Mayuri Yesss Luts! I have 2 kid delfs, and I must say that their resin feels the nicest and most sturdy of my dolls. 

I actually am not too happy with their bodies! The way the legs are strung at the hips make me nervous about moving them... But their heads are awesome! 

And their NS matches Doll Leaves NS, Resinsoul NS and Angel of Dream normal pink really well so I am planning to hybrid some of my heads (especially the boy heads as I've heard the Luts KDF Type 2 multi body is not very good so I didn't buy it till now with heads) 

OrchidViper
2 hours ago, Mayuri said:

I actually am not too happy with their bodies! The way the legs are strung at the hips make me nervous about moving them... But their heads are awesome! 

And their NS matches Doll Leaves NS, Resinsoul NS and Angel of Dream normal pink really well so I am planning to hybrid some of my heads (especially the boy heads as I've heard the Luts KDF Type 2 multi body is not very good so I didn't buy it till now with heads) 

I can see why it can make some people nervous! I've personally never have had an issue with the legs, but both of their bodies are newer bodies so idk if maybe the older ones have issues. But I don't really like the direction they're going if the dorito shaped shoulders. 😅

And good to know about those resin matches! I know that their real skin peach is a decent match for Peaks Woods normal, too.

Mayuri
1 hour ago, OrchidViper said:

I can see why it can make some people nervous! I've personally never have had an issue with the legs, but both of their bodies are newer bodies so idk if maybe the older ones have issues. But I don't really like the direction they're going if the dorito shaped shoulders. 😅

And good to know about those resin matches! I know that their real skin peach is a decent match for Peaks Woods normal, too.

I have older and newer bodies (Type 3 and Tyke 6 iirc?) for my girls but I don't see much of a difference with the legs 

For the Type 2 Body I just heard of it from other collectors so I never wanted to buy it... Which is a shame because that's the only double jointed boy body Luts is offering in the KDF size right now... So my boy is getting an AOD body once I've saved up money (he's on an AOD body right now but the color doesn't match, I just stole it from my boy Shang Nai) 

Oh that's also good to know with Peaks Woods! But I think their bodies might be more difficult to get than others 

OrchidViper
28 minutes ago, Mayuri said:

I have older and newer bodies (Type 3 and Tyke 6 iirc?) for my girls but I don't see much of a difference with the legs 

For the Type 2 Body I just heard of it from other collectors so I never wanted to buy it... Which is a shame because that's the only double jointed boy body Luts is offering in the KDF size right now... So my boy is getting an AOD body once I've saved up money (he's on an AOD body right now but the color doesn't match, I just stole it from my boy Shang Nai) 

Oh that's also good to know with Peaks Woods! But I think their bodies might be more difficult to get than others 

Yeah their bodies can be somewhat difficult to get, since they only host 4 preorders a year, 2 for the SD line and 2 for the msd. There SD bodies also have 8cm necks, same as the delfs (but not Senior). 

Mayuri
11 hours ago, OrchidViper said:

Yeah their bodies can be somewhat difficult to get, since they only host 4 preorders a year, 2 for the SD line and 2 for the msd. There SD bodies also have 8cm necks, same as the delfs (but not Senior). 

For my floating SDF boy head and my KDF boy head I'm planning AOD bodies for now, they also fit the aesthetic really well, Resinsoul and Doll Leaves works more for the girls since they're on the slim side of MSD 

If you are interested I can show you pictures how the heads look on these bodies 

Oh and for the dorito thing you mentioned: I Totally agree! I love the mdf51 heads but the bodies are just too... Beefy for my, the heads just seem to small compared to the bodies, same with the RSDF and such... Which is a shame honestly 

Persiflage

Does someone know any 1/3 bodies with a great range of motion (double joints) and a 3 part torso? How's Another Secret?

Mayuri
Just now, Persiflage said:

Does someone know any 1/3 bodies with a great range of motion (double joints) and a 3 part torso? How's Another Secret?

Does Skin color/actual size matter? That would be important to know for recommendations 

Persiflage

I wouldn't say so. I'm still in a discovery phase.

Mayuri
5 minutes ago, Persiflage said:

Ah ok, that makes it easier then! 

First of all, most bodies only have a 2 part torso and I think that's more than enough... 3 parts are mostly not necessary and in some cases also caused issues in the past due to bad engineering (like the infamous Dollshe belly pop, Google it if you want to know about it BUT DON'T BUY FROM DOLLSHE PLEASE! Den of Angels has a biiiiig thread about why not to buy from him) 

My 1/3 boys with a 2 part torso pose well enough! 

If you want pictures I can post some! 

Generally speaking - the bigger the body, the more likely they'll need support to stand so be aware of this (my Luts SDF Muse, has no issue standing, my Dollshe has bad engineering by default and my Mystic Kids is just really big) 

So what I can recommend are these:

- Angel of Dream - great price and shipping is usually 1 month, max of 3 months... I only own a 1/3 girl but also own a 1/6 and 1/4 and they all pose awesome and are very stable so I'm sure the 1/3 boy is the same! 

- Luts - like mentioned before I'm not a fan of their leg stringing (check pictures on the official website) but their posing is great and you have many sizes to choose from, also a gender neutral "Muse" body

- Charm Doll - I don't have a 1/3 but going by their 1/4 (which I own) then their posing is awesome and they're really sturdy, shipping times can be up to 6 months though 

- Ringdoll - they have big boys with a 3 part torso (I don't own any of these), they're very sturdy and great posers 

- Mystic Kids - I own a 70cm boy, he's posing well but needs some stand support to make sure he's not falling down (if you get one of these - don't buy the wigs from the Fullset! Their outfits are fine but the wigs are a catastrophe) 

- Volks - ofc there's Volks too, I don't own any boys but I have an SD13 girl and even though she only has double jointed arms her resin is one of the absolute best I know (Volks does have a good call in the community for a reason!) and she's posing very well and is awesome sturdy! For double jointed boys you can look into SdGr (Super Dollfie Graffiti) boys 

- Gem of Doll - might be worth checking out, I only have a 1/6 but he's among the best posing BJD I own and I'm definitely planning on getting more (also 1/4 and 1/6)

• Thanks 1

MoiBakaDesu
43 minutes ago, Persiflage said:

When it comes to 1/3 resin boys I can recommend the body from Vings, they have a more slender and a more typical muscular one.

I have the slender one and I absolutely adore the sculpt of that body and he is a great poser while being easy enough to handle.

Persiflage

I'm sorry I didn't specify girls, and I wanted 3 parts specifically because certain smaller scale dolls like Popovy have fantastic posing (also due to the sheer quality and the sculpts being very skinny, probably). I learned about a few companies I did not know though, so ty. I recognize the laughing girl sculpt from AoD from a photoset I've seen.

OrchidViper
3 hours ago, Mayuri said:

For my floating SDF boy head and my KDF boy head I'm planning AOD bodies for now, they also fit the aesthetic really well, Resinsoul and Doll Leaves works more for the girls since they're on the slim side of MSD 

If you are interested I can show you pictures how the heads look on these bodies 

Oh and for the dorito thing you mentioned: I Totally agree! I love the mdf51 heads but the bodies are just too... Beefy for my, the heads just seem to small compared to the bodies, same with the RSDF and such... Which is a shame honestly 

Some pictures would be nice! I have a Dolls Leaves body, and I know some of the larger KDF kids look bobbleheaded, but do smaller ones and MDF head work?

And yeah... I really like MDF51 Agate, but I really dislike the body. Idk if they have a mychoice to put him on the MDF body, either. And the newer SDF girl body is so... pointy. 

Mayuri
3 hours ago, Persiflage said:

I'm sorry I didn't specify girls, and I wanted 3 parts specifically because certain smaller scale dolls like Popovy have fantastic posing (also due to the sheer quality and the sculpts being very skinny, probably). I learned about a few companies I did not know though, so ty. I recognize the laughing girl sculpt from AoD from a photoset I've seen.

Sorry, I misread body as "boy" somehow, clearly I was still too tired! Anyway 3 part bodies are ofc not bad per se but I'd do some research if they really pose well.. I also have 3 part MSD torso and some of them also have a "weak point" at the hip joint, so just ask about who you're interested in specifically if you decide on one to make sure they'll pose like you want them to :)

I listed all the 1/3 I own or have so even with adding girls to the pool I don't think I have more to add at this point 

(For Volks there's also SdGr girls who are fully double jointed btw, these are more difficult to get than boys since they only come with limited models though) 

2 hours ago, OrchidViper said:

Some pictures would be nice! I have a Dolls Leaves body, and I know some of the larger KDF kids look bobbleheaded, but do smaller ones and MDF head work?

And yeah... I really like MDF51 Agate, but I really dislike the body. Idk if they have a mychoice to put him on the MDF body, either. And the newer SDF girl body is so... pointy. 

I asked Luts about the MDF51 head with other bodies and was told no 😭

You mean a KDF head on a Doll Leaves body? Here you go (And here's the album for more/better pictures, black dress is also Resinsoul: https://www.flickr.com/photos/195323694@N02/albums/72177720315244422)

If you want any more information or pictures feel free to ask! I'm planning to check how the heads fit a Volks SDM too since I have one now! 

On the Doll Leaves body:

spacer.png

Resin match:

spacer.png

On Resinsoul:

spacer.png

Match with Aod (hand is aod, shoulder luts):

spacer.png

KDF head on an AOD body (no color matching body though):

spacer.png

• Like 1

Persiflage
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mayuri said:

Sorry, I misread body as "boy" somehow

It's my bad. It was still informative, speaking of which:

1 hour ago, Mayuri said:

I also have 3 part MSD torso and some of them also have a "weak point" at the hip joint

You mentioned various problems with 3 part torsos, what are the most common ones? I assume the tension on larger dolls might make it more difficult for both parts to stay in a pose. Can sueding help in those cases? What was the fault with the Dollshe torso (I know about the company from the news on DoA which unfortunately I cannot register to) that made it pop out of its socket? That would help me guess from unboxings and such.

1 hour ago, Mayuri said:

just ask about who you're interested in specifically if you decide on one

I'm going to gather some info from the new names I've seen for the time being. I'm pretty picky and my knowledge of companies is still narrow (for a time I'd look at nothing but DollZone) so it's gonna take a while before I set my mind on anything. I know I've seen lots of praise for the Gem of Doll bodies and the outfits are great. I've definitely been looking at them more often lately. There are so many (maybe too many) doll makers in the resin world and these threads always help with finding the good ones.

Oh and another thing, in case you haven't guessed that I'm not a resin owner yet: can the chest section(s) actually twist sideways? I have seen plenty of back and forth bending, and a degree of bending to the side, but I don't think I've ever seen dolls with their chest turned to the side (not facing the same direction as the hips, if that explains it).

Great dolls btw!

Edited by Persiflage