Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Mitsuki Adored

Tan DD?

sharddarkness

Just wondering, how'd you do the face up? Weren't you worried that it might mess up the dye?

xhuxhurocket

With all the hype around the Sailor Moon revamp, I hold hope in my heart that dark and lovely Sailor Pluto will be released as a DD. Probably won't happen, buy hey, a girl can dream! I just think tan skin isn't very popular with Japanese collectors so Volks isn't really interested in tan releases. It's the same with Blythe dolls. Very popular in the US, not so much in Japan.

Keijogirl
Just wondering, how'd you do the face up? Weren't you worried that it might mess up the dye?

They did the face up the regular way, they sealed it painted sealed blushed and sealed. It wasn't anything special, just look at a dye job like purposely staining them.

A very even 100 % coverage clothing stain :3

It's in there and not coming out unless you force it to . The girls look like they were made that way :3

At Home: Kiyo, Hikaru , Nikko, Komaki, Miho, Kana-chan, Tamakits, Illya, Misa, Deku, Nao, Zana, Ciri, Aki, Alisa, Kana, Yuka, Kiki, Komaki (Oni Mode), Ai, Chili, NagisaDDh03Erica, Miyabi, Jun,  Haruka, Sasha, and Laila

Saving for: Accessories! Clothes! Shoes! The Works!

EblKtty

They did the face up the regular way, they sealed it painted sealed blushed and sealed. It wasn't anything special, just look at a dye job like purposely staining them.

A very even 100 % coverage clothing stain :3

It's in there and not coming out unless you force it to . The girls look like they were made that way :3

yep yep. I have redone Cocoa's faceup and if you are careful and remove with alchohol and magic eraser then you are fine. I wouldn't recommend using brush cleaning stuff like they usually do. The rest of the girls posed no problems in the faceup department either.

At home: Too many....

UsagiTeatime
I only use the powder because it worked so well for me x3

12662382283_2a7531506b.jpgIMG_8269 by semienigma, on Flickr

With Mocha here, I had to actually dip her boobs again because they lightened up much more the rest of her. And also, they will lighten. XD

I'm obsessed with your girls.

Does anyone have a way to dye but to not make the joints so dark?

•ViviDollworks Insta•

DD AiryChie  DDH06Emi  DDH27Nanako  ImomoBeibeiJack Frost  ImomoRubyMira

Keijogirl
I only use the powder because it worked so well for me x3

12662382283_2a7531506b.jpgIMG_8269 by semienigma, on Flickr

With Mocha here, I had to actually dip her boobs again because they lightened up much more the rest of her. And also, they will lighten. XD

I'm obsessed with your girls.

Does anyone have a way to dye but to not make the joints so dark?

There may not be a way outside of a super quick dip and lift. Mocha's (the girl pictured) joints were only in the pot for 5 to 10 seconds. The hard plastic parts absorb the color faster than the soft vinyl parts. I'm talking hella fast lol.

We were shocked when they came out so dark, they have lightened a little since then though. Not much though because they are still pretty much the same color Mocha was when she came out of the pot lol.

At Home: Kiyo, Hikaru , Nikko, Komaki, Miho, Kana-chan, Tamakits, Illya, Misa, Deku, Nao, Zana, Ciri, Aki, Alisa, Kana, Yuka, Kiki, Komaki (Oni Mode), Ai, Chili, NagisaDDh03Erica, Miyabi, Jun,  Haruka, Sasha, and Laila

Kumi

Maybe for the skeleton it would be better to paint it instead? Using some model hobby paints, like Gunze or similar.

kai-suteki

When dying the joints, don't leave them in for too long. Just do short dips until you get the desired colour.

jadepixel

Resurrecting this thread since I'm trying to dye an old DD2 body but not having much luck!

I used RIT powdered cocoa dye, but after 20 minutes in the pot the vinyl parts just looked dirty and grayish. No good :/

So I used RIT dye remover according to the package directions, and after about 30 minutes soaking the parts were mostly recovered. I hoped the dye remover would help the vinyl accept the dye better, but on the second try there were still problems. Another try with the cocoa dye gave me a light tan, similar to Kanu color, but some parts had orangish stains. And that was after soaking 30 minutes with constant stirring. I think if the parts got dyed faster, the staining wouldn't be an issue, but I'm not sure what to try to get them to darken quicker.

Keijogirl
Resurrecting this thread since I'm trying to dye an old DD2 body but not having much luck!

I used RIT powdered cocoa dye, but after 20 minutes in the pot the vinyl parts just looked dirty and grayish. No good :/

So I used RIT dye remover according to the package directions, and after about 30 minutes soaking the parts were mostly recovered. I hoped the dye remover would help the vinyl accept the dye better, but on the second try there were still problems. Another try with the cocoa dye gave me a light tan, similar to Kanu color, but some parts had orangish stains. And that was after soaking 30 minutes with constant stirring. I think if the parts got dyed faster, the staining wouldn't be an issue, but I'm not sure what to try to get them to darken quicker.

Semi had the same problem. She had the exact same result. Now the difference we think is the problem between the first girls and the one we tried last, was the concentration of the dye this time (because we had a lot more water in the pot this last try)we haven't had a chance to test it again yet. But it might be something that you can look into.

Why we think this is the case is that we tried to re-dye a test bust too and had zero luck with it too. That bust was already successfully dyed once, but this time it wouldn't take.

jadepixel

Hmm, so less water and more dye might do the trick?

I'm thinking of trying a different dye, there's a brand Jacquard that makes dyes specially for nylon and polyester, and I want to see how that will take with vinyl. Plus I want to try their dye remover since the Rit one smells awful!

Gunter

I'm here with a request for a recommendation. I want to dye a girl, but I'm aiming for a very specific darkness and I'm just unsure how I should choose for that.

I'm hoping to get a skin color like Muramasa's: http://myfigurecollection.net/encyclopedia/27235_sansei_muramasa

Does anyone have any recommendations for achieving such a color? I've heard of a few methods and I'm willing to try whatever to get it. Please and thank you for anyone who can aid me along. :>

ChuChuGuru

@Sister Kyoya

You should have never put that link here. EVER.

DD Family:...

On the Way Home:

Saving for: ???

LariesDollHouse

That tan smart girl though....oh my goodness @_@ As if the first one wasn't enough! Danny is going to kill my wallet

♥She who leaves a trail of glitter, is never forgotten♥

-sarunamirabu-

I love tan dolls OTL

Volks, if you don't step up your game and make some lovely tan dolls, it seems Smart Doll will be getting my money down the line... Just because dying all the parts is too much effort for the situation I'm in (lol).

My Princess, Dollfie Miku's Instagram ♥ Smart Doll Ookurikara will be up Here (link currently will not work) ♕

kai-suteki

Volks had their chance, you snooze you lose! Well... Unless somehow they manage to pull me back Gimme a tan dynamite Bellows from Gargantia dammit!

oscarmonkey4

i'd love for them to make a tanned dollfie! theres so many characters i'd love to make but i can't because they're tanned and theres no tanned dollfie yet :c

Keijogirl

I think if smart doll's girls take off volks will have to take notice that there is a market for them not just in other countries.

Maybe they can be a Dollpoint exclusive. Tan parts would sell like hot cakes i bet if they kept them in exclusive batches. Flippers would eat them up and yahoo japan would flood with pieces and parts.

Not that it would be something that I would want because i would have to go to japan....BUT I would like to have some option versus no option xD

kai-suteki

Ha! We'll see about that! I doubt volks will act, they're comfortable and still getting paid. Danny's widening the market but we need to see how well he does. Volks has to feel pretty pressed to make a move like that, they're so stingy with their tan skin, I don't see them budging

hino123

A tan DD will be good in my opinion. I am from an asian country, and this is definitely a yes for me. ^_^