Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Averis

What Anime are you watching?

BeyondTime
On 3/26/2019 at 6:33 PM, sinclair said:

I never looked at .hack as the art style didn't appeal to me.  But once we're done watching all the SOA series, I'll bring it up and see if she is interested or not.  Would rather get her to watch Strike Witches...

Bee Train's strength is character relationships, and they are kind of known for their plot twists. Their shows require the viewer to think in order to understand the plot. They don't spoon feed them you. That's my kind of thing, but it definitely doesn't appeal to everyone. 

I think their choice of art style in .hack was deliberate. They can do very top notch animation, like with Requiem for the Phantom, which I detest for the brutality of the story but the action sequences are stunning.

The soundtrack for .hack is by Yuki Kajiura, and it's pretty good.

Edited by BeyondTime

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

cfx
5 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

Bee Train's strength is character relationships, and they are kind of known for their plot twists. Their shows require the viewer to think in order to understand the plot. They don't spoon feed the you. That's my kind of thing, but it definitely doesn't appeal to everyone. 

I think their choice of art style in .hack was deliberate. They can do very top notch animation, like with Requiem for the Phantom, which I detest for the brutality of the story but the action sequences are stunning.

I wasn't familiar with the .hack anime at all so I looked it up. At .hack//SIGN appears to have that same character design and style used in Noir and Madlax, the only Bee Train projects I know anything about. I like that style a lot as it looks more like older anime that I like. The other .hack properties seem to have various different styles, one I saw looked like CG like a game, Quantum looked like 100 other things today.

So not sure which one @sinclair means he doesn't like the look of.

I was really only aware of .hack as the series of videogames that were made for the Japanese Sega Dreamcast because I followed import games a lot back then.

Edited by cfx

BeyondTime
5 hours ago, cfx said:

I wasn't familiar with the .hack anime at all so I looked it up. At .hack//SIGN appears to have that same character design and style used in Noir and Madlax, the only Bee Train projects I know anything about. I like that style a lot as it looks more like older anime that I like. The other .hack properties seem to have various different styles, one I saw looked like CG like a game, Quantum looked like 100 other things today.

I was really only aware of .hack as the series of videogames that were made for the Japanese Sega Dreamcast because I followed import games a lot back then.

Bee Train made most of them, but at some point the series was passed to other studios.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

sinclair
19 hours ago, cfx said:

spacer.png

Yes, it looks like older style anime, which I don't mind, but something about it just didn't catch me, so I passed.   I like thinking shows, so we may try it anyway.

BeyondTime
On 3/27/2019 at 10:41 PM, sinclair said:

Yes, it looks like older style anime, which I don't mind, but something about it just didn't catch me, so I passed.   I like thinking shows, so we may try it anyway.

I'd have to ask a friend of mine to be sure, but I am pretty sure SIGN was hand painted cell animation.

Pretty much everything Bee Train is a thinking show. Noir in particular relies a lot on subtext, if you don't pay attention to every line of plot dialog you will miss the biggest twist to the main plot. They even used musical motives and a lot of symbolic imagery to convey the hidden truth of the story.

Edited by BeyondTime

whisski

Hoo boy I'm currently watching a new episode of anime every single day x.x

Current new series: Dororo, One Punch Man Season 2, Rising of the Shield Hero, Carol and Tuesday, Sarazanmai, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 5: Vento Aureo, Fruits Basket, Sword of the Demon Slayer, and Fairy Gone

Currently Watching old anime: Penguin Drum

Anime I'd recommend to anyone: Cowboy Bebop, Mob Psycho 100, One Punch Man, My Hero Academia.

Personal Faves: Hellsing Ultimate, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Gurren Lagann, My Hero Academia, Hajime no Ippo

Edited by whisski

Catski

I'm watching a few different ones, but my favorite is Fruits Basket, Clannad, Sailor Moon, My Hero Academia and many more. Also just watched Little Witch Academia and it was fantastic!!

DidiMews

I've been in a total anime slump recently. T_T There's literally nothing new that has really caught my eye. I'm currently just kinda watching Granblue Fantasy, through lack of seeing much else. Sometimes I find myself wanting to watch a light hearted, not too thought provoking show.. But in reality get bored of it after a few episodes and crave something with more depth. >_< 

I really wish there were more series that evoked the same level of feels in me as Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Violet Evergarden or AnoHana. I want the FEELS dammit! Nothing like crying over an amazing anime. <3 

Daisy-chan

I've been re-watching some older anime from when I was a kid. I decided to start with Chobits, but dolls must have taken over my brain because every time there's a profile shot of Chi I just think "That is absolutely the DDH-01"

I know that sculpt was originally used for a Chi SD but I never thought it actually looked that much like her until now. I guess Volks did a better job there than I originally thought.

• Like 1

Galvatim

I watched one of my favorite movies, End of Evangelion, on Netflix today.  With the new English dub.  Not an awful dub by any means, but my preference is the ADV cast.  It's pretty clear that the new cast is trying to sound like the old cast, too.  The new script changes memorable lines, which I didn't like.  The one I noticed most if Shinji's f-bomb is dropped.  

I'm also disappointed Netflix was too cheap to license "Fly Me to the Moon" for the end credits.  

• Like 1

baldylox

I'm in the middle of watching "Anima Yell!" and it's sooo cute.  It's about a girl who wants to be a cheerleader but has no clue how to do it.  She recruits the girl who made her want to do it in the first place and antics ensue.  It's a fun show with cute girls doing cute things.  What can I say?  I'm a sucker for pom poms.  😄

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

moerunamida

Not sure if this counts as anime, but I binge watched all the old Grimm's Fairy Tale classics that were on Nickelodeon. Man, I miss those days.

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

Snarecrazi

I’m currently watching the reboot of fruits basket, tsudure children, and convinience store boyfriends.

i recommend any slice of life genre ones they are always a good decent time.

Fav anime I rewatch all the time are older ones like ranma 1/2 

Jezrah

I was catching up on my backlog of years of shows, and recently watched My Hero Academia.   I love All Might so much! ❤️  But I have not been such a big fan of an anime that has so much merch available since Inuyasha, and i was in high school then.  Help, there's so much tempting stuff out there...

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

BeyondTime

For a pandemic themed dystopian cyberpunk show check out Dominion Tank Police. The current situation keeps making me think of this show in sort of a who'd have thunk we'd have arrived here sort of way, and for the icing on the prophetic cake it even has a police brutality theme. 😁

Edited by BeyondTime

Anna-neko

Netflix has finally got Nozaki-kun streaming, and oooh am I rewatching this gift of a show!

.......and also it's not anime, but for some reason Back to the Future (first movie) only now started streaming, while rest of trilogy been there for months. Ooooh boy trilogy rewatch from the timeline hellhole of 2020 is an experience

• Like 1

Pit

I finished Fate Grand Order. In general It's good enough to keeps you interested. The animation and sound effects are awesome, as well as the character aesthetic's designs. The music is good and the fights are fun to watch. Still, I think there is no fate that can dethrone the narrative development Fate Zero offers.

Edited by Pit

Mega Negi

Just started Brand New Animal. I'm liking what I'm seeing.

• Like 1

Devonian

My spouse and I have a concerning number of anime on the go, lol. We just finished 'Soul Eater Not!' it was really cute, definitely a worthwhile spin-off, the main characters are adorable.

dark_dollies

Past few months to a year: currently watching Dorohedoro with my better half, which is really wacky (the art is beautiful). We recently watched Parasyte (funny). My favorite recent series is Dororo. Violet Evergarden is a cute anime with nice art. I rewatched Evangelion (the series, recently re-released on Netflix), it meant a lot as an angsty teenager, and I remember thinking the battle scenes were really intense. It was fun revisiting those feelings. I still need to check out the two Evangelion movies. Oh, and Devilman Crybaby is a favorite from the past few years I highly recommend. 

Edited by dark_dollies
words

bulgogi017

I’ve been in a slump in regards to anime but I finished rewatching Nozaki-Kun and finally watching Clannad. Also getting into HameFura, which is very refreshing for a reverse harem anime!

BeyondTime

The release of Sailor Jupiter has me rewatching Sailor Moon.

I also highly recommend Shirobako, it's an anime about anime production.

Subaru

I just finished watching Dorohedoro, Kengan Ashura and uhhhhhhhhh Beastars?
I dunno what's next on my list.

My wallet needs a vacation 💸
spacer.png
Blog Insta Ko-Fi Etsy

Devonian
On 6/13/2020 at 8:22 AM, BeyondTime said:

The release of Sailor Jupiter has me rewatching Sailor Moon.

I also highly recommend Shirobako, it's an anime about anime production.

Finally convinced my spouse to watch Sailor Moon Crystal. Was also motivated by the release of Sailor Jupiter. 😛

Tasuke

sat through a stack of Sentai Filmworks stuff, some great, some abysmal;

Sentai%20Anime%20selection%2012-26-18.jp

Anime%20SENTAI%20selection%20John%2012-5

2020164095_ANightatKonomi12-18-23550px.Horizont..png.35eaba54e8b03fbe6a7f7cd252209e94.png