Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Suzuna

Den of Angels?

mitsuki

I am glad DD owners aren't critical of resin dolls. Some forum members even have them. The culture here seems to be more open. That is the fun of DDs. You can do whatever you want with them. Why be critical of other people's ideas or preferences?

aeris

I have resin dolls too.

I have bought a DD first and through Volks site I have discovered resin BJD.

It could be interesting to see how many have both dolls.

I am on DoA too, it is a great place to speak about dolls.

But I am really afraid about the feedbacks systems and the very strict marketplace rules. Sometimes it seems very strange and stressful for me.

For now I can't send any invit, I am sorry.

Home : Hitomi, Kaori, Lily, Natsuki, Kotori, Yui, Kagami, , Maya, Hana

Halcyon
Having currently resins ( but soon to have a DD ^^) I currently lurk around a lot on DoA, but I've been lurking here more since I joined. I actually really love the atmosphere of this forum more because there seems to be a lack of what I call "Elite Dollie Drama", essentially, people hating on so-called "lesser" dolls. Typically the vinyls, both DD and Obitsu are the focus of such things, but often times cheaper resin companies can hold similar stigmas on the forum.

That's why when I joined here and posted in my intro about owning resins, I honestly was worried that I'd get a bunch of posts along the lines of "Get rid of your resins, vinyls is teh awesomez!" Thankfully, that didn't happen ( otherwise I probably wouldn't even be posting right now.)

I'll still go to DoA for the wide variety of information, ideas and of course the patterns and sewing instructions. ^^ I swear, I've used their Yukata tutorials atleast 12 times because it's usually the first outfit any of my dolls get because of how easy they are to make with a basic sewing machine. I admit, sometimes dolls on the marketplace there are a bit pricey for second or even third hand, but you can find some really great deals sometimes. ^^

Don't worry about it! Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS) resin and nylon resin were used together to make the Dollfie Dream®'s internal skeleton and structure. Dollfie Dream®s are not pure vinyl as many would think. They are hybrids between vinyl and resin, more so on the vinyl side, I would say.

DD 娘 - Dollfie Dream® Daughters

{1} : DDS [ユ-ピィ] - Euphie

archangeli

Don't worry about it! Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS) resin and nylon resin were used together to make the Dollfie Dream®'s internal skeleton and structure. Dollfie Dream®s are not pure vinyl as many would think. They are hybrids between vinyl and resin, more so on the vinyl side, I would say.

And if you have an SQ-Labs Resin head then you truly have a vinyl-resin hybrid

I haven't experienced any negativity on DoA, but that's possible because I don't own any of the more inexpensive dolls? However, in terms of "how much I paid for my dolls" my character DD's were more expensive when I had to go through after-market sales. My younger sister (who's been collecting resin longer) once gave me a "Resin Dolls for Dummies 101" run-down that basically consisted of "you get what you pay for" and showed me a few differences in her dolls. I only have 2 Volks dolls, one of which is over 10 years old and has only yellowed a tiny bit. I also like that I don't have to worry about my resin girls staining and that DD's aren't as fragile as resin dolls. I worry less about them when I take them out for a doll meetup

8450151887_2e94dd76fd_n.jpg

Archangeli.net | Twitter: @MsArchangeli | YouTube: Archangeli

Dolly

I've been on DoA for ages, it has gotten very regulated over the years but it is just SO huge I can sort of understand why there are so many rules (though at times I feel they go overboard!). It is like the state of California -- more people leads to more idiots/troublemakers leads to more problems leads to more rules!

If anyone would like an invite, feel free to PM me for one as I do have a few. Though it lacks the nice, cozy community we have here, there is a ton of useful info there, and I like the freedom to be able to post pictures that include DD's and resin/Obitsu dolls. Which is kinda the only way to, y'know, include boys. xD So if you have or want to have any boys in your doll family, I'd highly recommend it. ^^

<3 At home: Smartdoll Dimension & Onward 

(*) Wishing for: Dollfie Dream

mitsuki

I think you can have resins and Obitsus in photos too. MsGeek posts her Obitsus with her DDs too. I think there aren't so many photos of mixed dolls together because so many have just DD. Doll meet photos are the cases where you can at least see Baldylox's girls giving resin boys a hard time. I think it is the same as posting photos of DD with figmas, Mamachapps, or other figures/dolls together. I think it would make for some fun photo stories.

baldylox
Doll meet photos are the cases where you can at least see Baldylox's girls giving resin boys a hard time.

LOL! That reminds me, I need to update here with the last meet I had at my place for my B-day. Manami and company gave poor Tank and friends a real hard time.

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Nakitaninja
I actually really love the atmosphere of this forum more because there seems to be a lack of what I call "Elite Dollie Drama", essentially, people hating on so-called "lesser" dolls. That's why when I joined here and posted in my intro about owning resins, I honestly was worried that I'd get a bunch of posts along the lines of "Get rid of your resins, vinyls is teh awesomez!" Thankfully, that didn't happen ( otherwise I probably wouldn't even be posting right now.)

I'll still go to DoA for the wide variety of information, ideas and of course the patterns and sewing instructions. ^^ I swear, I've used their Yukata tutorials atleast 12 times because it's usually the first outfit any of my dolls get because of how easy they are to make with a basic sewing machine. I admit, sometimes dolls on the marketplace there are a bit pricey for second or even third hand, but you can find some really great deals sometimes. ^^

I totally feel the same way you do. That is what makes this place special- we can all share what we love without someone coming in and making you feel bad about what you enjoy doing.

When you get enough people together who collect (in DoA's case thousands, right?) you're always going to have someone trying to make someone else feel bad in order to make themselves feel better. That sort of crap is partially the way of the world but most definitely the way of the internet. This forum is wonderful because, as you have already noticed, everyone is so kind.

It's not a rule, it's just an unspoken recognition of treating other people how you would like to be treated yourself.

Dollfie Dream®s are not pure vinyl as many would think. They are hybrids between vinyl and resin, more so on the vinyl side, I would say.

Agreed, a vinyl skeleton wouldn't work out too well, would it? I guess we'd have something else to worry about with staining.

An interesting note on Dollfie Dreams and DoA: Dollfie Dreams are OT dolls and are only on DoA because they were grandfathered in as a (once internally strung) Volks product. The aftermath of the switch to the vinyl skeleton caused 'teeth bashing and hair tearing' because it was no longer truly a BJD and there was a suggestion that DDs released after the advent on the 'internal skeleton' should be consider OT.*

Technically DDs should be taboo since they are not classic "ball-jointed dolls". Yes, you can argue the case that they do indeed have 'balls in their joints' but since they are not strung and instead utilize an internal skeleton, they are not in the same class.

There is a majority of DoA that still consider DD's to be inferior to BJDs as a whole and 'off-topic' for the most part- this is probably (if you have because it's not always the case) why you've encountered not as much fanfare on that particular forum.

*I actually read the thread arguing about this. Srsly.

40283197242_5620dd1681.jpg

Dolly
I think you can have resins and Obitsus in photos too. MsGeek posts her Obitsus with her DDs too. I think there aren't so many photos of mixed dolls together because so many have just DD. Doll meet photos are the cases where you can at least see Baldylox's girls giving resin boys a hard time. I think it is the same as posting photos of DD with figmas, Mamachapps, or other figures/dolls together. I think it would make for some fun photo stories.

Thanks for the input! I have seen quite a few posts here with OT dolls and such along with people's DD's and was wondering about that. Here the gallery rule just says "Dollfie Dreams Only" (unlike DoA's rule, which states that OT dolls are allowed in photos with on topic dolls), so I don't want to step on any toes! It'll be a long while before he is here, but I am planning to start an order for a Nobility Doll anime-style custom head of a favorite male character of mine. Assuming I can get my hands on the upcoming Saber release, he will be her master so it would be nice to be able to post them together sometimes.

And more on topic, regarding DD's on DoA, they have gotten MUCH more popular recently. I don't think they are considered truly inferior, but I think a lot of people, especially folks who don't know the history behind them and why they are on topic, simply don't get why DD's are discussed on DoA at all. And in truth, they are indeed somewhat of an aberration considering the focus on DoA!

But it isn't usually so much a matter of "ugh, your doll is vinyl, how horrid" as it is a matter of, "oh, hmm, that's different . . . why are we those here again? They look so weird compared to my Soom and Iplehouse dolls! Are you sure they are real BJD"s??"

<3 At home: Smartdoll Dimension & Onward 

(*) Wishing for: Dollfie Dream

Nakitaninja

And more on topic, regarding DD's on DoA, they have gotten MUCH more popular recently.

That's awesome! Hopefully there will be more posts with pics- people do such amazing custom work. O_o

they are indeed somewhat of an aberration considering the focus on DoA!

Totally true. Also some folks don't like having their BJDs having ties to anime... the fact is that the world of BJDs is so huge and has so much variety that you're bound to run into all sorts of collectors. I like looking at it as learning something new, instead of constantly making comparisons in value- after all it's a personal matter of taste at the end of the day.

But it isn't usually so much a matter of "ugh, your doll is vinyl, how horrid" as it is a matter of, "oh, hmm, that's different . . . why are we those here again? They look so weird compared to my Soom and Iplehouse dolls! Are you sure they are real BJD"s??"

That has never happened to me -never on DoA- but if it did I think I would die laughing. I have no idea what I would do!!! Probably laugh for a good long time~

Suzuna

I can't speak for Averis, but I think as long as there's a DD in the picture you're good. At least I hope, I plan to include non-DD in my photostories...

Kumi

My Undine was welcoming Aerie and Kaoru home and she's on arrival photos.

So I think it's ok

I'm not very active on DoA, but we have our Polish bjd forum. Almost 99% girls/women and resin collectors.

DDs aren't very welcome there, mainly because of "big eyes, big rack" stereotype but things slowly change. Now it's more like "well, maybe not my cup of tea, but she's really pretty".

LordNoir

I plan to have one of my RingDoll boys welcome Ichiko home, so I hope it would be ok for him to be in the photostory. XD

I find it a bit interesting really that on DoA, the majority of collectors are female, but when it comes to DDs, the majority of collectors are male. I admit, I feel more at home with the DD collectors, even though I'm female and have a lot of resin dolls, and it's frankly because I enjoy anime, I enjoy female anime characters. I know some women find anime portrayed girls as sexist, but I don't think so. I mean come on, Yoko's a buxom girl and she's a flippin' sniper! How cool is that? Yeah, these girls are cute, but a lot of them are also smart and also strong. I actually find such strong and smart female characters empowering, and honestly I'm surprised that they aren't collected by many girls.

One of my female friends who collects resin dolls said this was because DDs are "sexy dolls." I'm not sure what to think of that, because I own quite a few resin girls who are MDD sized, and their chests are larger than VOLKs' MDD L bust for that size (20cm bust with huge protruding nips) but they apparently aren't considered to be "sexy dolls." My boyfriend owns a resin girl with similar measurements to a DDdy ( She has a slightly smaller bust, but same sized hips and waist) but she's not considered a "sexy doll."

I thought it might be because of cheesecake photos with DDs that make the distinction, but I have a male resin collector friend who has resin female dolls that he does such photos with, but they aren't labeled the same by viewers.

I guess because anime is connected to the otaku culture which tends to be viewed by society at large as "shut-ins and perverts" may have something to do with it, but honestly I don't see why the resin dolls don't have that same connection. Volks originally made figures after all, figures are popular with otaku, so the anime connection is also in the resin dolls even if people want to pretend it doesn't exist. If I weren't such an anime fan, I never would've gotten into figure collecting and then doll collecting, and that's how it was for a decent amount of my fellow local resin doll collectors. I guess I just can't quite follow why things are attributed to only the DDs when there are anime-esque resin dolls that aren't held on the same standards to some collectors.

• Like 1

A crazy fool with a house full of dolls, and ponies, and pony dolls

Now an Official Dealer for SQ Lab!

Nakitaninja

I find it a bit interesting really that on DoA, the majority of collectors are female, but when it comes to DDs, the majority of collectors are male.

Good 'general discussion' topic 1

I actually find such strong and smart female characters empowering, and honestly I'm surprised that they aren't collected by many girls.

A lot of us are girls, actually. ^^ There's no doubt more boys are interested specifically in DDs than BJDs in general but there's still a bunch of ladies in here too. Everyone I know who collects DDs happens to be a woman.

One of my female friends who collects resin dolls said this was because DDs are "sexy dolls." I'm not sure what to think of that, because I own quite a few resin girls who are MDD sized, and their chests are larger than VOLKs' MDD L bust for that size (20cm bust with huge protruding nips) but they apparently aren't considered to be "sexy dolls."

What's wrong with being sexy? The way your friend is saying it makes it sound like it is a bad thing. sexy = awesome. ^^

I guess because anime is connected to the otaku culture which tends to be viewed by society at large as "shut-ins and perverts" may have something to do with it, but honestly I don't see why the resin dolls don't have that same connection. Volks originally made figures after all, figures are popular with otaku, so the anime connection is also in the resin dolls even if people want to pretend it doesn't exist. I guess I just can't quite follow why things are attributed to only the DDs when there are anime-esque resin dolls that aren't held on the same standards to some collectors.

Good 'general discussion' topic 2

You should add those topics to the general discussion! You've brought up some really good points that deserve to be addressed individually- I know a lot of people would definitely contribute!

• Like 1

LordNoir

What's wrong with being sexy? The way your friend is saying it makes it sound like it is a bad thing. sexy = awesome. ^^

I think so too! However, I guess some girls consider being sexy = being a slut/whore/etc. However, that's not true at all! I mentioned it out because people who have dolls similar to the DDs, but they aren't considered the same way as DD owners. I.E. a guy who owns resin dolls and takes cheesecake pictures of them is not considered a pervert, but the guy who owns 5 DD girls and takes one cheesecake shot ever is labeled a pervert.

*facepalm*

It's for that reason I haven't yet er.. "came out" about Ichiko coming to my local resin collector friends. I mean, I take sexy shots of my resins all the time, and no one bats an eye at it, but with a DD will that change things? My inner sociologist says I should use this chance as a social experiment perhaps. DoA often has threads about people keeping their resin dolls a secret to avoid being thought of harshly by family and friends. I've never been one to hide my dolls from anybody, but with a DD, I dunno, I guess there's a worry that my poor girl will be thought of differently and treated differently.

But yes, I do plan to start atleast one general discussion topic, as I've thought about it over the course of my membership here. Honestly, I'm surprised it hasn't been posted already.

PrettyCranium

Ah, LordNoir -- I assumed you were male because of your username! I've been mistaken as a male on Figure.fm many times, despite my username "PrettyCranium" (a David Bowie reference, by the way).

baldylox

LOL! What's even funnier than PrettyCranium being assumed a male was someone thinking *I* was a female on Figurefm! Can you imagine? LOL

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

LordNoir

Oh, heh.. yeah..

My username is a nickname I got working through anime conventions. Because of my body shape, I tend to do best cosplaying male bishie types and since I do steampunk and horror a lot, I became "Lord Noir", the Dark/Black Lord.

But no, I'm completely female. XD

Really Baldylox? lol. I guess maybe it was the avatar, my boyfriend gets mistaken for a girl sometimes because he uses Youko from Twelve Kingdoms as his avvy. I know on DoA lots of users set their sigs to say something like "I'm a GUY thanks."

Talolili

Does anyone want to be my friend on DOA? I have the same username as I do here and I'd like to chat with someone about DDs.

Noire

Hi! I've got an account at den of angels years ago but i didn't log in to it in the past few years.now i guess my account is deleted as i can't log in to it anymore x _ x

Can anyone here send me an invitation?

Help is much appreciated. Thank you~

Does anyone want to be my friend on DOA? I have the same username as I do here and I'd like to chat with someone about DDs.

I would like to chat with you Talolili! *although my DD is not with me yet =x *

I don't have any friends here in real life thats into DD..

so it would be great to make friends online to talk about DD~

Talolili

We should totally chat then Noire. We could message each other here.

Pihlajakoto
LOL! What's even funnier than PrettyCranium being assumed a male was someone thinking *I* was a female on Figurefm! Can you imagine? LOL

Billy

Quite easily I'm the kind of person that remembers pictures best and have a habit of recognizing who is posting by their avatar ^^; I get confused easily by people who keep on changing they're avatars.

So I subconsciously assume that the avatar picture is the person. That made you a female and PrettyCranium a male.

I'm happy that den of angels has DD as on-topic. Finnish BJD forum bans anything non-resin and non-stringed so even though I did join there I don't feel at home there.

My blog Pihlajakoto

milkytea

I'm also on Den of Angels with the same username, "MilkyTea." I'm not very active, though; I read rather than post, for the most part.

StellarKei

I have an account there, same username. If anyone wants an invite, please PM me. ^^

I agree though, DoA does sometimes give off an "elitist" vibe. Before I even joined, I was wary of it. xD

DDH04: Elise

kymaera

I'm onomatopeia on DoA because there was someone already with a username similar to my usual kymaera, so went with a different one to avoid confusion.

On the "mistaken gender" portion of the thread, I thought Poofiemus was a guy at first. I think a lot of it was that I was on figure.fm first, so my default assumption for DD owners was male due to that.