The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

mitsuki

DDIII versus DDII (updated: DDdyIII and DDdy added)

mitsuki

I think the internal part of the hand is a little bigger on the DDIII compared to DDII. Some hand styles are harder to get on. Warming with a hair dryer helps.

Some heads seem to attach better than others onto the DDIII body. Some are kind of loose. It may be because of the curvy shape of the neck joint. Some are easier to push down all the way and secure than others.

6282157993_79761c4628.jpg

There is information about the DDS on this page of the DD Fan Book. It might relate to DDIII as well.

dreamcore

I find that I have this same problem with hands and my DDII and DDS girls. Some of the holes are cut wider, some smaller. I don't think it is really a DDIII vs DDII issue as much as just one batch of hands vs another.

baldylox
I find that I have this same problem with hands and my DDII and DDS girls. Some of the holes are cut wider, some smaller. I don't think it is really a DDIII vs DDII issue as much as just one batch of hands vs another.

I agree. I looked thru all my hands as I have at least one pair of each available not including these newest ones, and they ALL have different sized holes in them. So none seem to have the same size as any of the others. I think its due to the hand designs ( peace sign, flat hand, pointer, etc ) all needing different wrist positions and sizes to look nicer.

I think that the new hands are about the same as the old ones are in overall sizing.

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

carmen171

I am really looking forward to getting the DDIII body. I bought Moe2 but only her head since I was so in love with the DDII body, I only wanted her on that. Now, seeing all the photos of how flexible the DDIII is, I really want it!!!! I wonder how long before it becomes a standard body type????

Daughters~Mai,Ryomou,Kanu,Moe2,Yukino,HH02,Yoko,Marisa,Escalayer,Ms. Mariko,Lucy,Saber Xtra,Saber Alter,Rise,Sasara,Alna,Akira,H05,Mayu

animal.jpg

Waiting~Natsuki2,Melty,Aoko

Tensei
I am really looking forward to getting the DDIII body. I bought Moe2 but only her head since I was so in love with the DDII body, I only wanted her on that. Now, seeing all the photos of how flexible the DDIII is, I really want it!!!! I wonder how long before it becomes a standard body type????

Since it's already shipping with Standard Models (Yukino and Aoi), it shouldn't be too long.

galatia9

Thanks for the comparison photos, Mitsuki and everyone. I really like the new DDIII body, but I'm also pleased to know that it's not too different from the DDII, just in case I end up with one of those instead. And I was wondering how the DDDy body compared to them, too.

Linda S.

galatia9

DDH03 girl DDH07 x2 boys DDH06 girl DDH-05 x2 boys

DDH01 mod girl Saber Alter SqLab Tsubaki boy DDH-02 girl

Mio Honda Youmu Konpaku x2 boy twins

Also: DDS Lagla, Sheryl Nome, SmD Melody, SmD Eiji x2

mitsuki

The DDdy is certainly less flexible but I love the shape so I don't mind. I think each body type has its own advantages and disadvantages.

mitsuki

8123433981_3e5ea43e58_z.jpg

DDIII, DDdyIII, DDdy

8123434689_2c8639e9e4_z.jpg

DDIII, DDdyIII, DDdy

8123435595_da81afa105_z.jpg

DDIII, DDdyIII, DDdy

8123436355_a2cbbf0bc2_z.jpg

DDIII, DDdyIII, DDdy

8123436785_1e333717bb_z.jpg

DDIII, DDdyIII, DDdy

8123455034_4e02a94667_z.jpg

DDIII, DDdyIII, DDdy

8123455666_f80c407d9a_z.jpg

DDdyIII, DDdy

8123438765_cc255a4cfa_z.jpg

DDIII, DDdyIII, DDdy

Traveller

interesting comparison

Good to see the 3 girls helping out, although is does look comical at times as if they are trying out for a film part which will feature a nude scene

blackmercury

DDIII higher than Ddy3?

At home: Natali [1/3 BJD from Doll-Love] Aya [DD Natsuki 2nd ver.] Ami [DD Moe ver.1] Miho [DDH-06 pre-painted + DDS body], Haruka [DDH-07 pre-painted + DD2 body]

Sorry for my bad english ^_^

mitsuki

The DDdyIII seems to be a little taller than DDdy. The bust sits higher.

aiRreyes

Just thought about reading the comparison between DDIII and DDII. No doubt that DDIII can be pose in a lot way that it looks natural than the DDII. Especially with the sitting position finished reading this thread from the start up to the last post xD Now I would like my upcoming DDH-07 with a DDIII body >.<

Just a question if it's advisable to purchase the separate parts with frames already?

https://www.volks.co.jp/page_ex.jsp?CONTROLID=SC0040&BUSINESSID=InitDisp&jancd=4518992394008

6853819370_62b89ea6a5_t.jpg

Home: ~Soleil~ (DD Sendo Erika) ~Lilith~ (DDS Melty) ~Quinzel~ (DDH-07) ~Haruka~ (DD Mio)

mitsuki

I think the latest versions of DDIII are not as bad. The newer joints are thicker:

8081110324_4906c33f6a.jpg

I still hear about cracking but now there are reinforcement parts from Cool Cat that might help prevent cracks:

8081110274_1d40cbb695.jpg

hip joint reinforcements

8081116085_8988b403b2.jpg

shoulder joint reinforcements

aiRreyes

Oh cracking with the DDIII coolcat sure is fast to get an idea to prevent them to crack

Home: ~Soleil~ (DD Sendo Erika) ~Lilith~ (DDS Melty) ~Quinzel~ (DDH-07) ~Haruka~ (DD Mio)

Ravendruid
Oh cracking with the DDIII coolcat sure is fast to get an idea to prevent them to crack

[crazyconspiracytheory] Coolcat WAS pretty fast to come out with option parts... Maybe they hired ninjas to sneak in to Volk's factory and add "plastic weakener" to the formua! That explains everything! I knew Volks was too good to let us down. It's all Coolcat's fault. Tampering with the plastic just so they'd have new products to sell.[/crazyconspiracytheory]

Daddy of: Yuriko, Sohi, Miku and SK's many kids

12437295384_b307eb5ce8.jpg

aiRreyes

[crazyconspiracytheory] Coolcat WAS pretty fast to come out with option parts... Maybe they hired ninjas to sneak in to Volk's factory and add "plastic weakener" to the formua! That explains everything! I knew Volks was too good to let us down. It's all Coolcat's fault. Tampering with the plastic just so they'd have new products to sell.[/crazyconspiracytheory]

ohhhh... you got a point there >.< just so they could sell more the "coolcat ninjas" did something with the DDIII body for them to profit as well xD

SakuraSylph

Not all that super-quick, really. The new thicker joints have been around for six months now, so Coolcat has had a while to work with the new frame diameter. I think DDS Mariko-sensei was the first doll to have Volks' reinforcement.

I actually wonder why it took CC as long as it did, given that DDS has been out for quite a while by now. Right when DDS Reimu came out and had joint problems, the obvious solution would be to strengthen it up with a metal sheath.

I'm just super-glad that Coolcat is mass-producing these pieces now. It's about time! I think this will solve the major problem of the DDS/DDIII, and make that into the body-of-choice now for all its benefits.

SakuraSylph

aiRreyes

Oh I got a question since DDIII have a bit difference from the DDII, does the clothing also affected? other than the noticeable height of the DDIII compared to DDII. How about the bust? and other parts of it like the arms?

mitsuki

I haven't seen any difference in how the clothes fit but I have seen that the DDIII has a different (longer) bodyline. The clothes just look different but they don't have problems fitting.

Jezrah
6071689211_a8025cd98e.jpg

OwO How did you accomplish this pose? It looks as thought the hips are a bit displaced? Does a pose like this put a lot of stress on the hip sockets?

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

mitsuki

It is almost like the inner skeleton of the DDIII in the hip part is floating around in there. It is like there is a lot of space for it to move around. The DDdy is even more exaggerated since the outer hip vinyl is bigger. I am not sure how much relative stress it causes on the hip joints. The whole thing slides forward more inside the outer vinyl part. This is also why I feel like the DDIII feels less solid somehow. It is like the inner parts and outer parts aren't really connected. The DDII feels more like a solid unit but that might also contribute a lot to why it doesn't have the range of motion the DDIII does.

SakuraSylph

The DDS/DDIII hips connect the opposite way as the arms: for the arms, the shoulders are the sockets and the arms have the pegs, while for the hips, the torso has the pegs while the legs have the sockets. This is interesting because the torso frame's hip pegs are indeed separated out into a floating section. There's about 1cm of give from the top to the bottom.

Normally when the DD3 stands straight up, the pegs are at the top of this floating section and are held in place by the shape of the vinyl. However the legs can be pulled down about a cm in order to achieve the effect Mitsuki showed or to take the legs off. It's so easy to take DDIII legs off compared to DDII. Since the joint is designed to have that give, it puts no extra stress on the hips.

SakuraSylph

mitsuki

I hope this helps show how the joint can move up and down inside the body:

8186822278_c2281602cc.jpg

8186822676_6a671c19b8.jpg

Ravendruid

Oh, thank you, Mitsuki! I was actually really wondering what that looked like.

Daddy of: Yuriko, Sohi, Miku and SK's many kids

12437295384_b307eb5ce8.jpg