Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Shailara

Granado VINDOLL

hikikohooni

OMFG....

This forum is so stupid, I love it.

I hope to put this in PS Battles, some are hilarious,and some....oh sooo NSFW :3

Pihlajakoto

I'm not fan of realistic style dolls, anime is my thing, but I couldn't be happier that more companies start to offer 1/3 vinyl dolls :3 And all those skintones!

My blog Pihlajakoto

JChiibs

OH GOD! Like I need more dolls to throw money at! I 2nd the thing about more skintones (okay just one to match DD NS to start with) but even if they don't, I WANT THAT BODY! I want it so bad. I'm SUPER thrilled that there is becoming more vinyl boy body options. Hopefully it will corner Volks into having standard boys. I keep hoping for an MDD boy so Tama can be the Volks boy he always wanted to be.

~Sister Kyoya

12926590414_996a8b87ea_o.png

Forum Blog: Badger Pocket Tales (Family story from the beginning) | { Old Family story reboot: Start Here! }

Follow me on Twitter, Flickr & Instagram

F-15alice

I'm looking forward to this 0w0

I'm think I should get one so he can be one of my girl's dad or some thing

Welcome to my Instagram

7c5ecae5_34a2_4fec_a96f_db8c1b0054bb_by_saturnspace-dbd5hjw.jpg

Lunami Faceup for DD X3

Banders

D: woah this is like the exact opposite of what I'm into resin doll-wise, but damn I'm excited about more male vinyl dolls any day of the week!

I was planning to put together a MDD Schierke from Berserk some time (when I find the right head sculpt heh), and seeing teasers of this guy makes me want to make a Guts too! ≥o≤ But sweet cheese and crackers, just the thought of making his armor is already giving me a meltdown lol ^^;;;;

Living with: MDD H01, DDSB Yayoi Takatsuki, DDP Akira, DDS Nia Teppelin

My Instagram ★

K-2

While I'm glad to see more companies entering the large vinyl doll arena and I applaud their efforts, I'm very disappointed with Granado's choice of joint engineering on the elbows and knees of this new vinyl doll. Instead of incorporating the joint structure as part of the knee, (which other manufacturers have done) Granado fell back on their resin knee joint engineering, with a small double joint part, hinged to the "bones" inside the thick skin of the appendage. This is similar to their approach to the same joints in their resin dolls. When these joints are bent, it appears the appendage has come apart or the skin is a plate armor covering a very thin inner appendage. These types of joints are very unattractive even with the slightest bend, giving the joint a broken appearance. The thick, blunt ends of these parts are necessary for their more brittle resin versions, but with vinyl they could be thinned and tapered and incorporate the double joint part to render a much smoother look when bent. Retaining the resin "straight cut" look of bent elbows and knees, I don't think Granado is taking full advantage of the vinyl/plastic medium.

Edited by Guest

MVSig.jpg

Jezrah

Yeah that was my problem with this body as well. I fell in love with the posability of the SD17 and SDGou bodies while playing with a friend's at a meet. But those guys are way too heavy and way too expensive for me. So I'm a bit disappointed that this guy can't bend his knees any farther than that, he can't do the pose I most loved.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

Shailara
While I'm glad to see more companies entering the large vinyl doll arena and I applaud their efforts, I'm very disappointed with Granado's choice of joint engineering on the elbows and knees of this new vinyl doll. Instead of incorporating the joint structure as part of the knee, (which other manufacturers have done) Granado fell back on their resin knee joint engineering, with a small double joint part, hinged to the "bones" inside the thick skin of the appendage. This is similar to their approach to the same joints in their resin dolls. When these joints are bent, it appears the appendage has come apart or the skin is a plate armor covering a very thin inner appendage. These types of joints are very unattractive even with the slightest bend, giving the joint a broken appearance. The thick, blunt ends of these parts are necessary for their more brittle resin versions, but with vinyl they could be thinned and tapered and incorporate the double joint part to render a much smoother look when bent. Retaining the resin "straight cut" look of bent elbows and knees, I don't think Granado is taking full advantage of the vinyl/plastic medium.

I think this might be because they did not make a new outer body. I think they used their pre-existing body and made a skeleton for it, so they can instead cast it in vinyl (I mean it looks EXACTLY like their resin evol body...)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/doll-granado/31653725484/in/dateposted/

What is up with that crotch though???

We also have price! So cheap O.O

http://doll-granado.com/xe/?dobleepent_srl=18232

(\_/)
( ' .' ) 
( uu)

baldylox

While I have no desire to own this new guy, I have to say that I think he's looking pretty impressive and the price point he's at is really low compared to other vinyl girls AND boys out there. Also, the fact that right out of the gate they're making just the body and the skeleton available separately is really cool. That and the possible amount of colors that will be available in the future for him mean that LOTS of people can get characters made for their guys and do so rather cheaply and in one fell swoop.

This makes me wonder tho, is this company trying to compete with Smartdoll or Volks directly or is this something they've been thinking about for a bit? The frame sure looks well thought out so it's not something that looks thrown together at all.

Oh, one more thing....

That super pointy package is just DISTURBING.

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

K-2
I think this might be because they did not make a new outer body. I think they used their pre-existing body and made a skeleton for it, so they can instead cast it in vinyl (I mean it looks EXACTLY like their resin evol body...)

It probably is exactly like the Evol body. They could have certainly used the the same "positive" that they used to create the "negative" mold for the resin version. But the mold materials and processes between resin and vinyl casting are completely different. This requires new molds be made as those used for resin casting wouldn't work with the higher temperatures of molten vinyl.

Using the resin positives for the exterior is a great idea. Not adapting and optimizing these new molds to the softer more durable vinyl/plastic medium is just kind of lazy.

On the other hand making the joints just as unattractive as those of their resin line might be the intended strategy. If the jointing on the vinyl versions looked better, performed better, weighed significantly less (1160gm vs. 2500gm), all at a lower cost ($379 vs $549), would people still buy the resin version?

Is any of this going to stop me from buying one? Probably not. But a second is doubtful.

This makes me wonder tho, is this company trying to compete with Smartdoll or Volks directly or is this something they've been thinking about for a bit? The frame sure looks well thought out so it's not something that looks thrown together at all.

Absolutely they are trying to compete. They are snatching a market share missing from all other vinyl lines, a big burly dude! They'll have that market cornered before anyone else creates a similar macho man.

What is up with that crotch though???

He will be the first mass produced large vinyl doll to be hung like a horse.

MVSig.jpg

mosaicwolf

Yeah, I'm gonna need one. The vinyl girls and the resin girls can duke it out over who gets him.

Personally? I like a man with a nice package, and considering most vinyl boys don't have one~

crappyshappyshaw

I am super excited about these dolls! I do agree with you @K-2 that the structure is very limiting, but I think they wanted to have it be indistinguishable from the resin body for some reason? Maybe to gauge interest in resin-specific owners? This is their first doll so I think it's natural they'd come at it from a familiarity with resin jointing and keep with that instead of using vinyl posing to the fullest. I think if this doll is a hit they'll improve it quickly as Crocus is very good about customer reception. Their current internal skeleton looks really good and very poseable. I'm thinking Granado will change things for the better, we just need to give them some time to mess with vinyl dolls more and see the full potential.

@Baldylox lol, he does have an impressive package! I suppose this guy's crotch is no different from the busty girls we all love and dote on here~ I have a granado doll on the evol body and the crotch looks wayyy pointier here than it actually is. I think it's the tightness of the underwear material. Looks like it's about to break free! Of course I do have my girls in all kinds of skimpy and tight clothes, so who am I to say look this isn't appealing to someone?

I'm hoping that the Vindoll like gets good reception, as we may be able to get more varying body types (like their lads body or TITAN body!) and maybe he'll even humor the regular vinyl crowd with some anime-esque heads down the line? If anything I would love more sculpts. I was so excited I had a dream that Granado partnered with Hirohiko and made some Jojo's Bizarre Adventure dolls. Of course having that happen is just wishful thinking. I could use these guys to make a JJBA custom though, or even a Guts from Berserk if they make a titan body version. Can you tell I have a lot of hope for this line?

Anyway I would like to support them and grab a guy. The price is way cheap compared to other dolls! I just need some kind of money from heaven now...

K-2
I think if this doll is a hit they'll improve it quickly as Crocus is very good about customer reception.

It's doubtful we'd see improvements for quite some time. The amount of money it takes in R&D (even if they are using their own 3D printer for prototypes), let alone the cost of the stainless steel molds for the skeleton parts can make minor revisions prohibitive. I would suspect the only thing that would move them to revise the skeleton would be if they discovered a major flaw, which caused parts to fail. I hope they don't have to go through that.

They will probably have to sell a lot of these to break even.

Their current internal skeleton looks really good and very poseable.

Yes, in the pictures on their site they have that naked skeleton folded up like a pretzel! But take the skins off of any vinyl doll's skeleton and it will perform similarly. The real test of the posability of a vinyl doll is with the vinyl skins on the skeleton. The vinyl skins bumping into each other at the various joints is what determines the range of motion of any joint. How the vinyl skins interact with each other at the joints is what will determine the overall posability.

Edited by Guest

MVSig.jpg

Jezrah

Is it just me though, or is his head really cheap and his body will be eventually a bit on the more expensive side? It's weird, his Udell set seems really reasonable compared to a DD or Smart Doll, but just his body by itself is only $50 less? So right now the body's price is comparable to a DD body but after the early bird time period ends it will be more.

Sorry, that sounds rambly. I'm just trying to wrap my head around why a whole doll sounds inexpensive to me but just a body sounds a tiny bit pricey.

Shailara
Is it just me though, or is his head really cheap and his body will be eventually a bit on the more expensive side? It's weird, his Udell set seems really reasonable compared to a DD or Smart Doll, but just his body by itself is only $50 less? So right now the body's price is comparable to a DD body but after the early bird time period ends it will be more.

Sorry, that sounds rambly. I'm just trying to wrap my head around why a whole doll sounds inexpensive to me but just a body sounds a tiny bit pricey.

That's the way BJDs are usually priced, so maybe that's why? I mean, I think this sounds more reasonable to be honest, because the head is only a tiny piece of plastic, whereas the body includes all those pieces + skeleton? So maybe it's just Volks overpricing their heads...

(\_/)
( ' .' ) 
( uu)

K-2

You can go to Parabox and get vinyl heads for about $20-25. DD heads from Volks are about $40. When you see aftermarket DD heads going for $100 to well over $350, a lot of that price is for a face-up or a rare, limited sculpt. Most of the parts and materials of a vinyl doll are tied up in the body and skeleton so $50 less for a headless body seems reasonable.

MVSig.jpg

Jezrah

I think my problem is comparing it to an essential edition Smart Doll. The Smart Doll bodies are around the same price that the Vindoll body will be after the early bird goes away. But then the Udell, who comes with boxers, head without faceup, random eyes and wig, costs about $100 less than an essential edition Eiji. So is that price coming just from the faceup, or maybe also because you get a fiber rather than fur wig and custom eyes...

I guess what I'm getting at is less that I think the Vindoll is not priced well but more that I think the essential edition Smart Doll is a bit pricey for a faceup and higher quality wig and eyes. Not that I wouldn't still buy one.

jadepixel

I'm excited to see what folks end up doing with him! He's really different from DD and obitsu but not in a bad way, viva la difference! Although I agree his joints could be prettier, and that tripod is going to be annoying to cram into pants

As for pricing, I believe Granado manufactures in China?

Both Volks and Smartdoll are made in Japan, which is part of the price difference vs Obitsu/Azone which tend to make bodies and clothes in less expensive labor markets. Most of my Azone clothes are made in China, and the interior finish and fastenings are lower quality which can also cut costs.

K-2

There are many factors that can effect the overall cost of a doll, not limited to cost of materials, labor, shipping, etc. There is no reason to expect prices to be identical from one manufacturer to another.

Look at any one size resin doll. Prices from one manufacturer to another vary greatly, some by hundreds of dollars. Iplehouse's 60cm (58.7cm) female YID lists for $610, while RingDoll's comparable sized (59cm) Mai-Style B sells for $499. Why would the prices between vinyl dolls not be similarly diverse?

I would suspect the labor cost in China is lower than it is in Japan. Regulations might be a bit more lax as well. Volks and Smart Doll are paying for brick and mortar stores. Does Granado have a showroom in Mainland China? I don't know.

Azone 50cm and 60cm bodies are manufactured by Obitsu, which is in Japan. I do not know where Azone makes their clothes.

MVSig.jpg

K-2
Does Granado have a showroom in Mainland China? I don't know.

They do have a store - http://doll-granado.com/xe/index.php?mid=news&dobleepent_srl=17106

Cool! That's what we need! More doll makers with stores you can walk into and browse!

It makes me wonder, are there any BJD doll stores (brick and mortar) in the US? The only ones I know of are Mint on Card and the one in Denver.

MVSig.jpg

Gunter

It makes me wonder, are there any BJD doll stores (brick and mortar) in the US? The only ones I know of are Mint on Card and the one in Denver.

As far as I know that's actually it. Denver Doll Emporium, and Mint on Card. If you remember Kerbey Lane, they did actually have a store, which of course closed as well. I think We Love Dolls technically had a store, but I don't know if they are even still really around. Even if they did I doubt they'd stock many ABJD at this point.

K-2
As far as I know that's actually it. Denver Doll Emporium, and Mint on Card. If you remember Kerbey Lane, they did actually have a store, which of course closed as well. I think We Love Dolls technically had a store, but I don't know if they are even still really around. Even if they did I doubt they'd stock many ABJD at this point.

It got me wondering so I fired up google and found this;

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1rtM1nVPm1qf7QvFL9Vzqh1CYNAU&hl=en_US&ll=29.645647199721637%2C143.50390349999995&z=2

I don't know how accurate it is or if it's up to date, but interesting none the less.

MVSig.jpg