Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Monty

DDS Sailor Mercury and Mars

sinclair
It has occurred to me that Mercury could well be my grail. My love of anime really was born from Naoko's artwork, and of all the characters she drew I liked Ami the best. In a way she lies at the root of both my anime and DD hobby.

That's how I felt about Serena. And I'm so glad I was able to get her. And really why I'd want all the inner scouts at least.

BeyondTime
It has occurred to me that Mercury could well be my grail. My love of anime really was born from Naoko's artwork, and of all the characters she drew I liked Ami the best. In a way she lies at the root of both my anime and DD hobby.

That's how I felt about Serena. And I'm so glad I was able to get her. And really why I'd want all the inner scouts at least.

For me it's kind of the reverse. If I get Usagi it will be because I have all four of the others, and they just won't feel right without Usagi in the center. She's a beautiful sculpt, she just didn't feel Sailor Moon enough to me due to the small eyes.

I saw a really nicely done faceup for her on facebook that made me get more of an Usagi vibe, so she's got potential to fit my own image of Usagi better than her default does.

45502973_1941628679266869_2687943134024826880_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=371175596e8a8c190120838dbaba3bf7&oe=5C73345D

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

BeyondTime
That's Bellatrix' Sailor Moon; she showed it here too:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17216

Oh, awesome. If I end up with Usagi I know who I want to do her face now. XD

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

UnderOrange

I've always loved Mars, but it would feel so odd to only have one sailor scout.

Bellatrix

For me it's kind of the reverse. If I get Usagi it will be because I have all four of the others, and they just won't feel right without Usagi in the center. She's a beautiful sculpt, she just didn't feel Sailor Moon enough to me due to the small eyes.

I saw a really nicely done faceup for her on facebook that made me get more of an Usagi vibe, so she's got potential to fit my own image of Usagi better than her default does.

--snip--

That's Bellatrix' Sailor Moon; she showed it here too:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17216

Yes, as cfx said, she is my Usagi ^_^ thanks for pointing it out!

ANd the whole reason behind that is that I was feeling exactly like Wolf. Although I am not too much a fan of the sculpt myself (I prefer more mature sculpts in general, and this one has some features I struggle to cope with, such as the nose shape), I think the make up they gave her was just not fitting for her cheerful attitude, in my opinion. I am glad my work cought that vibe, and that you appreciate it.

Comparing Moon to Mars and Mercury it appears to me that the work they have done on these last two is just much more accurate, and I am not even sure that I want to change their make up, after all xD but I might as well, just to have a collection of my own Sailor Scouts ^_^

df64a03a777dc9f9a060ef6b286773b3-1.gif    ✩ 𝓥𝓲𝓬𝓽𝓲𝓶 𝓸𝓯 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓑𝓮𝓵𝓵𝓪𝓭𝓸𝔁 ✩

BeyondTime

Comparing Moon to Mars and Mercury it appears to me that the work they have done on these last two is just much more accurate, and I am not even sure that I want to change their make up, after all xD but I might as well, just to have a collection of my own Sailor Scouts ^_^

It's interesting because when I look at them I get the feeling they are almost an amalgam of the original artwork, original TV series, and Crystal.

I get the impression that Volks has specific designs in mind when they create their head sculpts, so they are usually based on something official. It's just that it's not always what we might expect or choose ourselves.

It's possible that they decided the sculpts just didn't look right with the larger eyes. I messed around with it a bit in photoshop, and larger eyes work, but the sculpt itself looks better as it is.

cfx
I get the impression that Volks has specific designs in mind when they create their head sculpts, so they are usually based on something official. It's just that it's not always what we might expect or choose ourselves.

This is my feeling as well. I know I'm fairly vocal here about various recent Volks DD sculpts I'm not happy with in one way or another, but most of the time I can see what they went for or what art or particular aspects of a character design they chose to emphasize.

It's just that lately it's often not what I would choose or want.

But there's already too many older dolls I want so I'm not really upset that recent releases haven't been to my taste.

BeyondTime
Mercury and Mars are now officially on the Sailor Moon project website for Volks! ♥

The photos are the ones we've seen already, but I still love them. XD I think they're growing on me a bit more each time I look.

Bigger images though.

I also like the banner wording. It seems to imply that there are more releases to come, and the site design itself is like Fate, Vocaloids, and iM@S. I know I am reading a lot into this, but maybe this is a hint that we will get them all as time passes.

I think Sailor Moon and iM@S are similar in the sense that they are both genre defining, and that means Sailor Moon is just as big a deal as iM@S (bigger really imo.) Volks hasn't shied away from making minor but popular iM@S characters, and it's not like they have hundreds of characters to choose from with Sailor Moon.

Edit: I noticed two other things. The school uniform for Ami & Usagi does have two pairs of shoes, and neither school uniform comes with Pantsu. XD

I get that with the Sailor Senshi outfit because they are a leotard style, but with the school outfit I think this could be a problem for a girl...

One errant breeze and Umino's head would explode

milkytea

It is a bit unfortunate that there are no underwear with the school uniform sets, but that's also pretty standard. Volks seems to be taking a "supply-your-own" stance. XD

BeyondTime
It is a bit unfortunate that there are no underwear with the school uniform sets, but that's also pretty standard. Volks seems to be taking a "supply-your-own" stance. XD

Which I wouldn’t mind so much if they sold the default pantsu that dolls ship with on their website.

I’m probably kind of wierd in this respect, but I keep all my girls default small parts in bins with their name on it, and that includes default underwear and hands. That’s led me to want every one of them to have an assigned pair of pantsu, and I like that to be either what they came with or the standard NIB default. My Miki Hoshi has a pair that I took from an outfit that just happened to ship with them, but that’s pretty rare. When underwear is included it’s usually a lacy set that is actually a bit loose on DDS.

Mizuumi-no-Otome

Mars and Mercury on display at Dolpa! They look great here, I'm excited to see the owner photos when they start coming in.

I'm getting antsy waiting for January to come around!

BeyondTime

Seeing Mercury and Mars in that photo, I think they did a good job capturing their faces. I think they captured Mercury's innocent cuteness pretty well, and that isn't as apparent in the Volks News images for some reason.

cfx

From the same instagram account some more pictures and a short video:

Chihaya

Definitely getting Mars with school uniform

Dollfie Dreamer, Minion of GEOTUS, idolm@ster

Mizuumi-no-Otome

I didn't notice the iridescent gold on the waistbands before, that's an interesting change from SM! The faces look lovely, I'm so excited for these two.

I don't know if I should hope for lottery or clickwar!

Cotton

Yet another picture of the two, by the courtesy of Volks! (*''▽'') The original, full-size version can be found here : Link

duf1z410.jpg

Bellatrix

I will be completely frank: it was love at first sight when I saw Mars, and I felt so bad when I realized I didn't have the money to enter the lottery.

BUT now that I have seen the custom pictures of her face, I am not that sure I like her that much anymore, tbh! She is definitely not as "sexy" as I expected her to be, and the make up makes her less appealing to me.

I would still love to see both Mars and Mercury in person before deciding to take her (or not), but so far I am not that much conviced about them anymore.

df64a03a777dc9f9a060ef6b286773b3-1.gif    ✩ 𝓥𝓲𝓬𝓽𝓲𝓶 𝓸𝓯 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓑𝓮𝓵𝓵𝓪𝓭𝓸𝔁 ✩

BeyondTime

I thi

I will be completely frank: it was love at first sight when I saw Mars, and I felt so bad when I realized I didn't have the money to enter the lottery.

BUT now that I have seen the custom pictures of her face, I am not that sure I like her that much anymore, tbh! She is definitely not as "sexy" as I expected her to be, and the make up makes her less appealing to me.

I think they got the shape of her face right, so maybe a new face-up would make her look more like your image of Mars.

sailor-moon-fabric-poster-sailor-mars.jpg

119421.jpg

Eyes on all of them are too small to match the character art, but I suspect there was a compromise made between getting the face right, and having those great big eyes.

Mizuumi-no-Otome
This blog has a lot of pictures of both dolls:

Sailor Mars http://blog.livedoor.jp/teaoevo/archives/1901460.html

Sailor Mercury http://blog.livedoor.jp/teaoevo/archives/1901376.html

Wow I'm so glad they went with an inky-color for Mars' wig! I'm not sold on either of their wigs atm, I'll have to spend some time styling them before I decide if I want to get different wigs. Mercury's looks a little weird but it could just be a matter of styling.

cfx

Mercury's wig looks like it is too short and/or sits too high on her head. That page doesn't show, but I am wondering if they used a head cap like they did on Mars, and if they did that might be why it looks that way.

I wish Mars' shoes were sold separately. AFAIK Volks has never made plain red pumps outside of the cheap plastic ones.

Edit: Wanted to add I think both dolls look really nice except for those oven-mitt gloves which others have already mentioned.

BeyondTime

In Usagi's case the gloves had to fit like more like mittens over her posed hands, and you wouldn't be able the get them on over some of the hands if they didn't open along the sides.

When I looked at them I was kind of like "ok I get it, but ugh."

sinclair

They are both so cute, and I want them, but with how things are with money now I'll pass on them sadly. That and with not being able to add to my family lately I have sat back and reflected that I really couldn't give any more girls the attention they deserve, so it's probably for the best. But I can't wait for more of them to get out in the wild and see owner photos.