Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

baldylox

The Facebook debacle & other issues

abs2891

I would suppose the compromise is that it’s free for anyone with an ostomy and those who care for them.  Thinking about it that way the price in part could be seen to be covering for that but yeah, on the whole it’s expensive for something so small with what seems to be a relatively simple design. 

moerunamida
4 hours ago, Lurks said:

Is anyone else feeling weird about the ostomy bag add-on? It's great for diversity and representation's sake but like...the thing itself looks so cheap and yet is so expensive to get. We're not exactly talking about a meticulously detailed, sewn outfit here or anything. It's around $25 plus expensive shipping for what amounts to a small piece of gray fabric that you have to blu-tac/tape on? Why not just put a up a free pattern for it since it's just a fabric oval?

At least the insulin pump add-ons are actually detailed, 3D printed objects that seem to have sticker display screens, even if they still need to be stuck on the doll with blu-tac.

I dunno, am I the only one who thinks this?

You're aren't the only one. While I'm happy he is making that for customers that have one, he's stated clearly that if you have disabilities preventing you from taking care of your doll that you shouldn't have one. It looks like he is using it as another neon sign stating "LOOK AT ME! I'm SOOO better than any other Voooks company! Look at all the cool stuff I make for disabled people!"

• Like 5

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

AliensOfGold

I'm all for representation, but medical devices are a bit far I think.

ChrisFhey

6 hours ago, Lurks said:

Is anyone else feeling weird about the ostomy bag add-on? It's great for diversity and representation's sake but like...the thing itself looks so cheap and yet is so expensive to get. We're not exactly talking about a meticulously detailed, sewn outfit here or anything. It's around $25 plus expensive shipping for what amounts to a small piece of gray fabric that you have to blu-tac/tape on? Why not just put a up a free pattern for it since it's just a fabric oval?

At least the insulin pump add-ons are actually detailed, 3D printed objects that seem to have sticker display screens, even if they still need to be stuck on the doll with blu-tac.

I dunno, am I the only one who thinks this?

I'm honestly pretty weirded out by the whole thing.

I mean, I understand that they're both serious medical conditions but what good is this going to do people who actually suffer from these issues?
Pair that with how cheap and silly the ostomy bag looks and this all smells like a quick karma grab to me.

• Like 1

LuluChan

Are you all being good little sheep today?

Remember that you are not ever allowed to state that you don't like something, even if it's valid criticism, or said in a polite way, no no no. If you do, everyone will be "punished"! And then they will come for you, so be careful. Enjoy your stay in Smart Doll Land!

Edit: Also I'm legitimately pissed at people's reactions to this and it's really hard to not say anything in Facebook groups. They're all acting like this is completely normal, insulting people who allegedly complained, and in general acting almost brainwashed. I feel like it's such an obvious manipulation tactic, and it's making me really upset. It's hard to like the dolls seeing all this. I almost want to leave all the groups and sell my last Smart Doll and just be done with it. 

Edited by LuluChan
I didn't want to double post
  • Like 3

Tasuke

Is anyone else feeling weird about the ostomy bag add-on? It's great for diversity and representation's sake but like...

as an Ostomy user myself, -since 2003- it is nothing at all that i'd ever wish on any of my fantasy girls, let alone anyone IRL.

YMMV as always, but for my personal part, allusions of "Diversity" can take a flying leap, at least so far as this particular chronic ailment goes.

CHROHN's/COLITIS/IBD is a TERRIBLE affliction, that simply does not deserve to be dignified in such a fashion.

i suppose, however, that this is merely just my personal way of looking at things...

Edited by Tasuke
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2020164095_ANightatKonomi12-18-23550px.Horizont..png.35eaba54e8b03fbe6a7f7cd252209e94.png

abs2891
51 minutes ago, LuluChan said:

Remember that you are not ever allowed to state that you don't like something, even if it's valid criticism, or said in a polite way, no no no. If you do, everyone will be "punished"! And then they will come for you, so be careful. Enjoy your stay in Smart Doll Land!

Edit: Also I'm legitimately pissed at people's reactions to this and it's really hard to not say anything in Facebook groups. They're all acting like this is completely normal, insulting people who allegedly complained, and in general acting almost brainwashed. I feel like it's such an obvious manipulation tactic, and it's making me really upset. It's hard to like the dolls seeing all this. I almost want to leave all the groups and sell my last Smart Doll and just be done with it. 

Yeah it’s pretty clearly manipulative. The actual problem is they can’t accurately predict when their dolls will be available - and hey, if you want to pull down your clock for that fine, makes sense, would even say that it’s good business practice to not put something up that you can’t deliver on - but that’s the problem, not people questioning/complaining why the clock has changed.  

SleepingElf

I don't have a Smart Doll. I could probably never afford a Smart Doll so I doubt I would ever own one. But after reading through this thread I'm just sad. I remember when Smart Doll was first revealed, like waaaay back when Danny was advertising that his dolls would be fully robotic. Such a neat idea. Really just sad to see the behaviour of Danny now. The dolls themselves are just lovely but knowing how the creator acts... hard to disassociate the two ☹️ I really like seeing pictures of Smart Dolls but there's just this bittersweetness to it now.

Also, I'm sorry but... I find it really gross that Danny publicly said if you have a disability his dolls aren't for you, then turns around and claims to be inclusive because he made an ostomy bag for his dolls. What's the deal? Able-bodied people can play with these inclusive dolls but disabled folks can only look? I don't like it. Just feels like pandering. 'Look, we made a doll with <insert disability or medical condition here>! Please buy her, but only if you are abled bodied!'

• Like 3

monkeypizzasonic

More like "only people who have disabilities that I can easily represent with cosmetic changes or extra parts allowed".

He did also say that people who care for patients with ostomy bags can get one...I really think this is more aimed at younger fans who have medical problems, like a "Barbie that comes in a wheelchair" or "American Girl doll with crutches" kinda thing. A "look, the pretty doll is disabled just like you!" to help them cope with their situation thing.

• Like 2

Nyx Whitestar

Just to let you know we removed the timers due to complaints
You see - we do listen - folks complain and so we remove the source of complaint 😉

If only Smartdoll removed Danny from social media tho. We complain A LOT about that 😁

Edited by Nyx Whitestar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

ig-log10.png ap10.png

ChrisFhey
1 hour ago, Nyx Whitestar said:

If only Smartdoll removed Danny from social media tho. We complain A LOT about that 😁

"We've recently rebranded ourselves as Smart Oll. We've decided to remove the D."

• Haha 4

Katsudon
9 hours ago, LuluChan said:

Wait, people complained about the timers? I hadn't seen any, and we're a pretty salty bunch here! 🤔 I mean, fine if some people had criticism... but again he's thrown the baby out with the bath water! Yeah, this isn't having the effect Danny wants on me, and I'm just gonna blame him for not reining in his 'fight' instinct, rather than blame internet randos for being 'entitled' or whatever.

9 hours ago, Tasuke said:

as an Ostomy user myself, -since 2003- it is nothing at all that i'd ever wish on any of my fantasy girls, let alone anyone IRL.

YMMV as always, but for my personal part, allusions of "Diversity" can take a flying leap, at least so far as this particular chronic ailment goes.

CHROHN's/COLITIS/IBD is a TERRIBLE affliction, that simply does not deserve to be dignified in such a fashion.

i suppose, however, that this is merely just my personal way of looking at things...

Damn, Chrohn's etc is tough. o_o Sorry you got dealt that hand (whichever one, as you haven't specified, which is fine). I know/have known people with Chrohn's and it's tough. :( I kinda feel the same about birthmarks on dolls... which I said many pages back but am saying again. It feels especially fetishising when the birthmarks are moving down towards the chest 🤨 but not up into the wig (birthmarks can change the pigment of hair if they're on the scalp). Plus, the more noticeable, impossible to cover types of birthmarks are never gonna be represented.

Meh, I dunno. Some people are gonna be happy to be represented. Sometimes it's more complex than that. (Parts of the doll community hasn't even got as far as "uwu you're valid" yet re. disabilities and chronic illness, so I dunno really.)

Sorry, feeling bitter today for some reason. 😕 Ignore me and my griping.

• Like 3

moerunamida
4 hours ago, Katsudon said:

Wait, people complained about the timers? I hadn't seen any, and we're a pretty salty bunch here! 🤔 I mean, fine if some people had criticism... but again he's thrown the baby out with the bath water! Yeah, this isn't having the effect Danny wants on me, and I'm just gonna blame him for not reining in his 'fight' instinct, rather than blame internet randos for being 'entitled' or whatever.

Damn, Chrohn's etc is tough. o_o Sorry you got dealt that hand (whichever one, as you haven't specified, which is fine). I know/have known people with Chrohn's and it's tough. :( I kinda feel the same about birthmarks on dolls... which I said many pages back but am saying again. It feels especially fetishising when the birthmarks are moving down towards the chest 🤨 but not up into the wig (birthmarks can change the pigment of hair if they're on the scalp). Plus, the more noticeable, impossible to cover types of birthmarks are never gonna be represented.

Meh, I dunno. Some people are gonna be happy to be represented. Sometimes it's more complex than that. (Parts of the doll community hasn't even got as far as "uwu you're valid" yet re. disabilities and chronic illness, so I dunno really.)

Sorry, feeling bitter today for some reason. 😕 Ignore me and my griping.

I'm one of those people who chooses not to be represented, at least physically. I'm overweight, have chronic migraines, a busted spine with a lot of nerve damage, and erythromelagia (burning man syndrome). I hate buying clothes and shoes. I hate shopping. But if I buy something pretty for my dolls, I know it will fit. The dolls are an aspect of me that I am not, if that makes sense. I wouldn't want an overweight Dollfie Dream that's hunched over, eyes squeezed tight from a migraine. I think when I was younger, I would have loved the idea of having a doll look like me but certainly not as an adult. Above all though, I have no hard feelings towards anyone if they do have a doll or want one to look like themselves. I just don't like how Danny is presenting it. It feels...unclean to me somehow.

And the whole thing about people complaining about the countdown timers? I call bull on that. I'd bet money that he invents his own customer complaints as a way to gain attention with adoring fans aghast at the entitled s.o.b. How dare they!

Edited by Deyja
  • Like 5

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

DollyDearest

I've been watching these threads, an have stayed slient.  am shocked, by Mr Danny an some of the stuff that's been happening an am confused an idk what to think..   am scared TBH     

finnleo
2 hours ago, Deyja said:

I just don't like how Danny is presenting it. It feels...unclean to me somehow.

One other project that comes to mind was Katawa Shoujo, but there the interperters (because the whole thing being based on a single doujin sidenote illustration) of that visual novel concept walked a pretty narrow line in how to present the whole thing, and stuck to their position of offering it for free as initially intended, despite the thing ballooning a bit in terms of production.

I suppose one thing that makes me feel a bit iffish on the culture japan approach is the option for people to outright buy into the subject matter ... and thus the company making an assumed profit over it -- something that was pointed out already earlier in one of the threads when we werent quite yet at this level.

The whole shiny HDR ikea catalogue sales pitch does not help this feeling .... again

• Like 1

Anna-neko
On 5/28/2021 at 12:43 PM, monkeypizzasonic said:

really think this is more aimed at younger fans who have medical problems, like a "Barbie that comes in a wheelchair" or "American Girl doll with crutches" kinda thing. A "look, the pretty doll is disabled just like you!" to help them cope with their situation thing.

...which is what makes it all teh more irksome, for me personally, as SmartDolls are NOT made for children! I mean, on a Barbie the small hands cannot be removed (well, not easily and not on purpose) to become serious choking hazards. American Girl dolls are big dolls in a totalz different scale (and age group!! An average AG is supposed to be what, 10? 12 years old?) to be a much easier playmate for a little girl

Which then cycles right back into the territory of "we made a thing for a doll that you don't really play "play" with because this is for adult collectors. Be frellin honest, you know its for adults. You will just dress her and put on display" VS a little kid and their doll havin bazillion and one adventures together..... and imma just go now before this turns into a 5 page rant

le sigh, such a fine line between pandering & exclusivity

Edited by Chise
  • Like 1

BeyondTime
19 minutes ago, Chise said:

Be frellin honest, you know its for adults.

Yeah, if it wasn’t obvious from lookin at em, all the bewb jokes and painted XXX sized busts are a major clue if you’re paying attention to the small details. 

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

forged_in_mess

Wait, so if I will buy used smart doll, not from scalper, then if i will ever need parts, they will be send to the first owner? 

Even now the market for used smart dolls in Europe is absolutely not existing, with one or two dolls showing sometimes, in price similar to new ones. So it's another blocking of selling used dolls. No wonder that selling customized smart dolls isn't happening, if people won't be able to get replacement parts send to their address. 

I am not sure if it's helping with scalpers problem, as I never see used smart dolls for sale anyway, so I feel like it's a solution for non existing problem, that hits more genuine people who would like to sell their dolls than some mythical "scalpers". 

Screenshot_20210529-082201.jpg

• Confused 2

finnleo
1 hour ago, forged_in_mess said:

then if i will ever need parts, they will be send to the first owner?

as the screenshot sayes, this perticular blurb applies to the warrenty period claims.

As in the warrenty is only valid for the original purchaser of the doll, and is not transferred to the second in any way or form.

Awhile back in the thread I think testament brought it up as an example that what if you get a doll as a gift from someone, and I replied that the person giving it will need to remember all order info about it, and be the one contacting the company if something breaks within the first year to get the replacement bits as promised.

Also a few pages back we pondered about the trap-like nature of the company wanting to know the original order details of dolls baught from the aftermarket that are in need of spare-parts. -- this makes me wonder if the "Report the seller" angle is this advanced scalper detection algorithm that is mentioned there.

Edited by finnleo
  • Like 2

Yumeiro

sRHp8Hy.png

Ok. Great for punishing scammers. But an issue if you get banned for some other arbitrary reason

Irulazuli

Also... isn't it a GDPR violation for EU users? As in, you only consented to processing your data for ordering purposes, NOT having it shared for blacklisting purposes? For example, dealers should not receive your data from Danny and vice versa (providing there was not something in T&Cs...).

It has been some time since my last GDPR-related training at work, but if I recall, it applies to any company making business with EU customers. I hope CJ knows what they're doing, because it can blow up in their faces.

I enjoyed watching the company at the beginning, making Volks sweat with the dark skintone and boy options. Any healthy competition is good for the market. If not for Danny's behaviour, I think I would have gotten a Smart Doll at some point as well (Monday is so precious...).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

abs2891
5 hours ago, forged_in_mess said:

Even now the market for used smart dolls in Europe is absolutely not existing, with one or two dolls showing sometimes, in price similar to new ones.

Curious, but is there an active resale market in the US/Canada, because Japan doesn’t have much of a resale market for them either from what I’ve seen.  New DD show up on mandarake pretty much daily, as do the various lines using obitsu (probably in order of frequency, azone, AP, parabox) but I’m pretty sure only two SMD have appeared in the past month, one being an extremely expensive Nami model.  I understand why there’s basically no spare parts floating around except the occasional xxl busts given they aren’t sold, but the lack of doll bodies being resold is pretty starkly different.  

Edited by abs2891

finnleo
1 hour ago, Irulazuli said:

Also... isn't it a GDPR violation for EU users? As in, you only consented to processing your data for ordering purposes, NOT having it shared for blacklisting purposes?

This is probably something best answered by a lawyer who is better versed in the subject, but...

I guess there are things you can stuff into the terms of service of the website/store, as long as they give you an advance warning of sorts of what they are doing with the data with their partners (in crime).

In my mind the caveat to this would be that any information gathered before they've made the new info sharing rules public might be on the more iffish side of things.

However Dunning-Kruger has been strong with this one, so naturally just because they mandate a customer accepting sharing of user information between their partner outfits, does not necessarily make it correct.

but in terms of actual EU sanctions... I believe they would need to be physically audited in how they actually manage customer data, as in prooving that it does not run afoul of keeping it safe from people that are not within the partnership involved .. and somehow I dont see this happening. And the trademarked solution would probably just be to block all EU sales alltogether, since the main market has always been north america.

So sort of a similar situation as with pushing the product to a certain age group ... since they arent really in the juristiction of any offical scrutineer, we just get to enjoy the dumpster fire.

Katsudon
9 hours ago, Yumeiro said:

sRHp8Hy.png

Ok. Great for punishing scammers. But an issue if you get banned for some other arbitrary reason

Great. He's gone full Dolldemort. (I can't remember who coined that name, but kudos!) 😕

• Thanks 2

kranberrijam
9 hours ago, Yumeiro said:

sRHp8Hy.png

Except you know this is not about scammers at all, it's about banning people who Danny doesn't personally like for whatever reason.

• Like 2

🍺💅🐙 Linktree : Instagram : TwitterYouTube 🐙💅🍺

931519944_Xakselle_banner_blogger-Copy.jpg.13edd8df929d8ad05e5998f9d5689a19.jpg