Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

baldylox

The Facebook debacle & other issues

Sebby
3 hours ago, lucidium said:

Lot of ppl on FB commented saying that Danny is punishing everyone for the actions of a very small, vocal minority. And others compared the behavior to toxic parenting. Then a mod came in and dropped this bomb.

Repeat slowly after me - Smart Doll is not a cult. Smart Doll is not a cult...

Also AFAIK the complaints were not about timers, but rather the system of not taking orders until the timer was at zero. People wanted to be able to order whenever and just have the stuff shipped out when it was available. So Danny's removal of the timer literally does not address anything. It was just petty.

Screenshot_20210528-120550~2.png

(Because I think this is my group...) Just an FYI, this person is not a mod anymore. Hasn't been since the whole drama with the custom face-ups thing. There are just three mods left in SDAS, and we don't mind some more critical thinking as long as it stays civil. Whatever she posts, she posts it with her own opinion and not the ones of the moderators. 

(Back to lurking mode... 😏)

• Like 2

Kannon
6 hours ago, lucidium said:

Lot of ppl on FB commented saying that Danny is punishing everyone for the actions of a very small, vocal minority. And others compared the behavior to toxic parenting. Then a mod came in and dropped this bomb.

Repeat slowly after me - Smart Doll is not a cult. Smart Doll is not a cult...

Also AFAIK the complaints were not about timers, but rather the system of not taking orders until the timer was at zero. People wanted to be able to order whenever and just have the stuff shipped out when it was available. So Danny's removal of the timer literally does not address anything. It was just petty.

Screenshot_20210528-120550~2.png

This is in my group, 

1. the poster is not a mod. Hasn’t been for a while. so please can we correct that...

3. The opinions of that poster do not reflect that of myself, the other mods or of the group as a whole. People can absolutely have their opinions, but it doesn’t mean we all share that opinion.  

That’s allow  I wanted to say, just to set the score straight. 

Mod Edit: Text removed. Forum guidelines disallow bringing private disputes into public posts.

• Like 1

bbotss

@Kannon Unfortunately, due to the hate and paranoia mr shoe child has so meticulously cultivated in his groups, I doubt anyone in their right mind would be willing to approach a mod using their fb account which contains their personal information. And when a mod of one of the most er... enthusiastic... smd groups says to talk to them about anything they're unhappy with, you can be sure that anyone wanting to avoid the banhammer will run for the hills. After all, mr shoe child has been known to ask people to rat on others and reward them for it. Just saying in general.

• Like 7

lucidium
6 hours ago, Kannon said:

This is in my group, 

1. the poster is not a mod. Hasn’t been for a while. so please can we correct that...

3. The opinions of that poster do not reflect that of myself, the other mods or of the group as a whole. People can absolutely have their opinions, but it doesn’t mean we all share that opinion.  

That’s allow  I wanted to say, just to set the score straight. 

Mod Edit: Text removed. Forum guidelines disallow bringing private disputes into public posts.

My bad. 

lucidium
7 hours ago, WorldofBJD said:

(Because I think this is my group...) Just an FYI, this person is not a mod anymore. Hasn't been since the whole drama with the custom face-ups thing. There are just three mods left in SDAS, and we don't mind some more critical thinking as long as it stays civil. Whatever she posts, she posts it with her own opinion and not the ones of the moderators. 

(Back to lurking mode... 😏)

I'm glad to hear SDAS is open to it. I thought they were still a mod so it was concerning to see. Thanks for clarifying

Edited by lucidium

lucidium
8 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

The ability of hard core fan cultists to deny reality and spin a fantasy in its place is unparalleled. 

It’s worth pointing out that a worldwide backlash does kind of require unhappy people all over the world, and most of us are only really capable of pissing off our immediate neighbors and co-workers. It takes a special kind of person to alienate the planet. 

One of the behaviors that makes everything worse is that he treats people who he likes so much better. Like allowing them to buy things that are not yet released. So everyone wants to stay on his good side and won't call him out or even criticize, bc we all know that he will ban you for that. 

• Like 5

BeyondTime
22 minutes ago, lucidium said:

My bad. 

Just so we’re clear, you didn’t violate any of this forum’s rules with your original post, so my edit had nothing to do with your text.  

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Sebby
3 hours ago, lucidium said:

I'm glad to hear SDAS is open to it. I thought they were still a mod so it was concerning to see. Thanks for clarifying

Yep, as long as people (including Danny and his team) are treated with respect it's okay to voice concerns or ask questions. We only step in when we think the post is causing friction or if comments lack respect or are personal attacks. Or you get me with a "y'all better be nice now or I'll smack you" warning. But we've had some discussions now that went well, like price-related stuff. For example someone voiced their concerns whether or not Shiki was worth it with being cortex and having that price. That all went fine. 

BeyondTime
8 hours ago, WorldofBJD said:

Yep, as long as people (including Danny and his team) are treated with respect it's okay to voice concerns or ask questions.

We have similar rules here. It’s fine to criticize products and policy, but personal attacks, insults, and other types of put downs aren’t allowed. It can be a very fine line to walk though, simply because so much of the criticism stems from social media posts by the company owner. For example, the “don’t buy if you have a disability” post by Danny generated a lot of very justified anger, and we mods edited a lot of posts that day. I felt bad about it too, because people had every right to be angry at the man who made those comments.

Surprise, surprise, a lot of people in the community have disabilities.

IMO company PR needs to be handled by someone who is pragmatic, knows what not to say out loud, and who has a thick skin. I work at a college, and our webmaster accounts often receive death threats from people who are angry about a grade. They want to lash out, and the webmaster email is a visible avenue. The webmasters just forward to the PD and move on. 

• Like 5

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Meowjima

I tested the theory about F&F out.  You can purchase clothes/what they have in stock.  Though, I will wait until tomorrow/a business day to see if my order gets refunded.

My order was not cancelled.  However, I mght check if this extends to asking about pre-ordering a doll/anything limited.  I might ask Iris about Supergirl, but I honestly would probably just turn around and sell her because she's one of my bottom tier DC favorites and there was only one SmD liscensed doll I was looking forward to.

• Like 1

Nines
15 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

IMO company PR needs to be handled by someone who is pragmatic, knows what not to say out loud, and who has a thick skin. I work at a college, and our webmaster accounts often receive death threats from people who are angry about a grade.

Geesh, this is something which lack most or never going to happen 😓

Zaliayn

Given how long there have been issues, and taking into account Danny's apparent need to control every aspect of the business, I sincerely believe that there won't be anyone assigned to handle PR anytime soon, if at all.

I just don't think that his personality or mindset would allow him to hand over the reins to someone else, and I suspect he wouldn't trust anyone else to handle things in a way he was satisfied with 😕

• Like 1

ChrisFhey

I wonder what'll happen when/if Danny decides to retire and has to pass on the reins to someone else.

Galvatim
2 hours ago, ChrisFhey said:

I wonder what'll happen when/if Danny decides to retire and has to pass on the reins to someone else.

He'll just shut the company down.  After all, he's not doing this for the money, he says, it's about making dolls for himself, I guess.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

ChrisFhey

I kinda want to make dolls for myself as well. Maybe I should start a doll company too.

• Like 1

CaraOReilly
2 hours ago, ChrisFhey said:

I kinda want to make dolls for myself as well. Maybe I should start a doll company too.

I'd support that! 😄

• Like 2

AZONE IRIS COLLECT SUMIRE: CARA O'REILLY

AyaToyBox

wow haven't check for a while now the ban hammer getting bigger

out of curiosity can someone tell me other official dealers for smartdoll other than fabric friends doll ?

lucidium
On 6/1/2021 at 8:23 AM, Zaliayn said:

Given how long there have been issues, and taking into account Danny's apparent need to control every aspect of the business, I sincerely believe that there won't be anyone assigned to handle PR anytime soon, if at all.

I just don't think that his personality or mindset would allow him to hand over the reins to someone else, and I suspect he wouldn't trust anyone else to handle things in a way he was satisfied with 😕

He said on IG that (paraphrasing) people want me to get a PR manager but that will never happen." Something about it being his brand and him speaking his mind/you can leave if you don't like it.

finnleo

<sarcasm>

51223798162_14216de223_z.jpg

</sarcasm>

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

ChrisFhey
1 hour ago, lucidium said:

you can leave if you don't like it

Don't mind if I do.

• Haha 2

BeyondTime
41 minutes ago, lucidium said:

Found it. https://dannychoo.com/en/instagram/p/cbe_by1hkxl. The shirt design mentioned is the "Deal with it" shirt

Was this in response to the flak he got over his equating SmartDoll diversity to the Black Lives Matter movement?

Honestly, it would not surprise me if he didn’t get $#!^ from people who oppose Black Lives Matter, and if that’s the case I have zero objection to him publicly telling them to F@*# Off! 

We had people leave the forum over the presence of BLM hashtags in member sigs, so it wouldn’t surprise me if he had people rage quitting SmartDoll over it.

• Like 2

lucidium
1 hour ago, BeyondTime said:

Was this in response to the flak he got over his equating SmartDoll diversity to the Black Lives Matter movement?

Honestly, it would not surprise me if he didn’t get $#!^ from people who oppose Black Lives Matter, and if that’s the case I have zero objection to him publicly telling them to F@*# Off! 

We had people leave the forum over the presence of BLM hashtags in member sigs, so it wouldn’t surprise me if he had people rage quitting SmartDoll over it.

Yes this was in response to the first version of his BLM post on Instagram. He then edited it to be more of a general support post for BLM. From what I recall (I don't remember the post either because it was nearly a year ago) people were upset that he was using BLM as a way to propel his business and virtue signal, and it didn't seem like he sincerely cared about the issue. But once again. I don't remember the post, I just saw the aftermath. People were not complaining about him supporting BLM, it was about the nuances in his post.

Edit: from another comment apparently he made a statement about being color blind or something to that effect, saying that race didn't matter. Which was understandably misconstrued

Edited by lucidium

BeyondTime
4 minutes ago, lucidium said:

From what I recall (I don't remember the post either because it was nearly a year ago) people were upset that he was using BLM as a way to propel his business and virtue signal, and it didn't seem like he sincerely cared about the issue.

I remember that original post, but I’m inclined to think he offended two groups with it. 

1) His seeming support for BLM undoubted pissed off people who oppose BLM. 

2) His hamfisted expression of support for BLM offended people who support BLM and empathize with their issues. 

The post above would seem to be directed towards people in group 1. 

Could he be faking it? Sure, but my money is on at least a few people ragequitting over support for BLM. The internet is filled with too many toxic people for that not to have been a thing; even in SmartDollLand.

Yumeiro

Speaking of ways to propel ones business...
I'm just curious, has there been any Pride posts? I can't remember/recall.
But it should be just up his alley - it's about inclusivity after all. 🤔