Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

foo

Dollfie Icon

Kymera
On 8/4/2022 at 3:14 AM, 20blackbags said:

I never noticed that before, but it does. The hands that come with the icon's one is flattish, and the other is slightly curved to hold items. I guess they didn't want to use the other hand molds they have. A heart hand or holding hand for icon would be cute. 

Huh. I get giving them different hands, to make the default Icons a little more interesting for people who don't want to buy the extra packs... but they could have put a little more thought into it to avoid duplicates. Like... one pair that is explicitly the alternates of the default hands, the other grip hand, heart hands, and loose fist hands would be my wishlist. (I'm really bummed that there aren't fist hands.)

Edited by Kymera

Owned by: Kitsuko (Fox-face) - DDH-09

OccultBeast
On 8/1/2022 at 7:58 PM, JJRed said:

Do they ever sell the wigs that they photograph on the dolls separately?

Jumping in to say, that at least one of the wigs for this year's ICONs (Terra) is actually 100% last year's Volks Limited Wig:

unknown.png.173d96a353cc7a701294120167492ba2.png

Which is slightly annoying for anyone (cough: myself) that signed up for a GL account just to purchase this wig at full price last year.  I can't help but wonder if Volks ended up with a ton of them leftover or something and are getting rid of them through the ICON sales, especially since the wigs are entirely random, so there might only be a few that end up having this previously-limited wig.  If next year's ICONs end up using the pink or green undertone wig, that will confirm that Volks is just getting rid of old/dead stock wigs via ICONs, so I'm interested to see.

Regardless, this still means that Volks doesn't technically sell the wigs separately, since you would have needed to buy this wig in advance lol  But I still thought it was interesting!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Seraphime

Do we know when/if these girls will go up on Volks JP? I’d love to get one but as I’m in the EU that’s not really an option atm 😅

BeyondTime
2 hours ago, Seraphime said:

Do we know when/if these girls

Don't know about when, but now that they are on f3 bodies with matched frames I think you can count on an international sale. 

• Thanks 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

JJRed

Well I just found out I may be banned from the lottery. I didn’t know I won the previous lottery item. I never got an email. And I put in my entry in for one of the girls and it showed that item still there and I asked my friend and they said you won it but sense you didn’t buy it your most likely are banned from the lottery’s system or the whole site!!! Is that true?😰😭

Fluffybuns

It can happen, but you should only be banned from the lottery, not the site or preorders. Surprisingly, I’m not banned yet considering I never paid for a previous lottery entry, not on purpose, just many things happened, so I missed it. 

Seraphime
7 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

Don't know about when, but now that they are on f3 bodies with matched frames I think you can count on an international sale. 

Hopefully not too soon I need a lil time to save! 🤣

pyoko
9 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

That would be great. I don't have my hopes up though since they never were an international thing, I don't know if the frame really will change that. 

BeyondTime
18 minutes ago, pyoko said:

That would be great. I don't have my hopes up though since they never were an international thing, I don't know if the frame really will change that. 

They were sold internationally 2/3 times they were offered. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

pyoko
1 hour ago, BeyondTime said:

They were sold internationally 2/3 times they were offered. 

Wasn't it always a USA limited release +sometimes special sale at events in Japan? 

I can't remember those were ever sold at Volks international 

Edited by pyoko

BeyondTime
Just now, pyoko said:

Wasn't it always a USA limited release +sometimes special sale at events in Japan?

Their initial release in the US in 2019 was followed by a release at a Dolpa in Japan. Pretty sure they were also available at the after event. The next year they were also released in Japan, but I can't recall if it was a Dolpa or just a special web event. Last year was the only US only release as far as I know. They may have been out of stock on DDIII parts by that point. 

I'd call them US centric, but not a US exclusive. 

• Like 1

asianed
6 minutes ago, pyoko said:

I can't remember those were ever sold at Volks international 

When the Icon line was conceived, the target audience was intended to be the non-Japanese buyer. The aesthetic was developed specifically to appeal to the Western consumer. The marketing and releases were always going to be "outside of Japan" first. 

That being said, after the initial release, there was some interest in the Japanese market for them. They were released in Japan at DollPa after the US launch in 2019.

I don't know if a Japanese release of that year's Icons is a guarantee, it seems to be a decision made on a year-by-year basis. 

• Like 1

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, asianed said:

I don't know if a Japanese release of that year's Icons is a guarantee, it seems to be a decision made on a year-by-year basis.

This year I do think they will. I don't think they will tell their own market that the new frame with matching joints isn't for them, and this is also an opportunity for them to see if those changes increase interest in the Icon's in Japan. 

Keijogirl

I entered for Terra, I want her and Clover so much! But, I chose the one I want the most since I can’t do both.

At Home: Kiyo, Hikaru , Nikko, Komaki, Miho, Kana-chan, Tamakits, Illya, Misa, Deku, Nao, Zana, Ciri, Aki, Alisa, Kana, Yuka, Kiki, Komaki (Oni Mode), Ai, Chili, NagisaDDh03Erica, Miyabi, Jun,  Haruka, Sasha, and Laila

Saving for: Accessories! Clothes! Shoes! The Works!

monkeypizzasonic

I'm still kinda tempted by bodies, but I might wait and see if people put the old bodies up for sale after because I don't mind the joints and I'd rather be able to do layaway.

bahboh

I wonder what makes the icon line as something for "westerners." Visually, the sculpts are super dollfie-like. Is the glam makeup thought of as a western thing vs the pinkiness of one offs more for the Japanese market?

asianed
1 hour ago, bahboh said:

I wonder what makes the icon line as something for "westerners." Visually, the sculpts are super dollfie-like. Is the glam makeup thought of as a western thing vs the pinkiness of one offs more for the Japanese market?

When they were announced at DollPa US a few years ago, the bolder makeup style was called out as the differentiating feature.

In designing the Icons, they went to western faceup artists to get a better sense of the style used compared to what they do in Japan. Many of the final designs came from Volks US employees. 

bahboh

fascinating. does that mean the japanese doll collectors don't really like icons and their bold makeup?

asianed

There's a general sense from Volks that the Japanese market buyers prefer more conservative makeup for their resin dolls. With the release of the Icons, the Japanese market did show interest in having the bold makeup and fantasy skintones, though I suspect the uptake after the first round of Japan DollPa meant they didn't need to release them every year. 

So there is a market, just not as big of demand compared to the folks outside of Japan snatching up as many as they can make. 

• Like 1

SweetTeethz

We’re getting closer to the end everyone! >__< I really hope I get clover and I can trade for lilac

Oculae

I am VIBRATING with excitement...hopefully this is the year I win! If not, I'll just be quick on the secondhand market...

• Like 1

tumblr_o9govtKpFv1v9twgko1_400.gif.eae368d3c0bfc2a75087167170705ec2.gifPlease ping me when replying!

JJRed
16 hours ago, SweetTeethz said:

We’re getting closer to the end everyone! >__< I really hope I get clover and I can trade for lilac

You and I are hoping for the same girl so good luck.🍀 

AwkwardMango

I pre ordered the tawny icon base body along with a DDH09 that I will be dyeing to match. Should be fun, also will be cheaper than trying to get my hands on Anthy or a tawny icon.@onion32@

Edited by AwkwardMango

marishade

I passed up the lottery and base bodies this year as funds are short. I hope everyone gets the one they want and will be eagerly awaiting next year's lottery. :)

Looking forward to all the new doll spam!

• Like 2