Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Anouc

Which camera do you use and...

Nightmare Tea

I got a Canon Rebel EOS T2i for my birthday... And it's great so far!

But I don't know ANY camera terms...

It says the lens is 18-55mm Macro..

Warning: I clearly don't know how to use this...

lll002.png

lll004.png

It's way better than my old camera, that's for sure!

juu-yuki

lll002.png

lll004.png

Suzie is adorable ^^<3

AntElitist

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd362/NightmareTea/lll002.png

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd362/NightmareTea/lll004.png

Experiment with ISO, Aperture, Shutter speed and White Balance. Then you get to know about your camera. That lens you have should be good enough

Nightmare Tea

Thank you for the tips! I will be sure to remember these!

aquilla429

My fiancé recently brought me an Olympus Pen EPL1 with kit lens. I've had other cameras in the past, but the EPL1 is my only camera at the moment.

It's been a long time that I had been without photography (2 tears or so I think?), so I'm kinda almost learning again from scratch, but I feel like I'm getting to grips with it more with each session I take. I really like the camera, it's got great capabilities, looks good and the size is perfect for me. I have small hands so large SLR's often feel uncomfortable for me. I also used to have a Cannon s95 but I found that much too small, I don't really find compacts nice to handle either XD

The EPL 1 Is a happy medium for me and I find it a joy to hold and use. I look forward to uncovering more of what it has to offer.

aquillascubbyholesmall_zps7378ca56.png

My new domain and blog is now based on tumblr, you can find me at http://www.aquilla429.com

https://twitter.com/aquilla429

RaveOfNightmares

Opened up a box today with a couple of Minolta lenses I had ordered off of ebay, 70-210mm f/4 and 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6, and found a few very nice extra surprises in the box: Minolta 35-70mm f/4 AF lens, and a Minolta Maxxum 9000 film SLR body! So far the body seems to work fine, although I have no film to take some test shots with atm.

21 DD girls: Mio, Marina, Yui, Yoko, Nia, Lily, Arisu, Akina, Momo, Arisa, Yukina, Ayaka, Niimi, Eri, Millefeuille, Ekisu, Chitose, Miyabi, KOS-MOS v.4, Hatsune Miku and God Eater Alisa. 2B in a hopeful future.

Nehelenia

Unfortunately I don't have a very good camera. I use my fathers camera to take my photos. It's a Kodak easy share 12mp digital camera, or my cellphone's camera which is even worse :S 3,2 mp

slmka

Sorry my recommendations will be base on Canon as been using Canon for almost 15yrs...

My main camera/lens for most doll shooting

Camera: 600D + 580 EX II

Lens: Canon 10-22mm, Canon 17-55mm F2.8, 100mm F2.8L Macro and 70-200mm F2.8L IS

The 10-22 and 17-55 are my fav lens, UWA (10-22) could create an interesting effect once you get use to the lens, and allow you to have a great close up (about 30cm) while the background still visible.

This whole event was taken with 10-22 with mounted flash, you could see some photos with an interesting distortion once you know your lens behavior

10-22mm pictures during AFA 11: AFA 11

The 17-55mm is for common shooting, with F2.8 to create bokeh or higher F-stop to get the background in view

The 100mm F2.8L Macro is for close up on face

The 70-200mm F2.8L IS, its advantage is allow you to shoot from far, allowing you to create a clear subject while your background could be bokeh (but shooting form a distance). The least use lens for doll shooting, due to its weight and shooting environment.

As for DSLR Camera, any average body can do quite a good job. But try to get one with a swirl screen (e.g. Canon 600D, 60D) so you can shoot at different angles. Make good use of live view to check when light is dim. Of course tripod is a must (in fact you need two)

As for lens, is bokeh important? Yes and No, you may want to bring out your subject with a shadow DOF, but if you are shooting with scenery, your will need like F8 or even higher to get picture in view. You can compare these 2 picture with same location, different F-stop (sorry is not a Dollfie pic but this is the only sample I have now)

F16: Sentosa Boardwalk

F2.8: Sentosa Boardwalk

But if you are on budget, since one DD could cost as much as a DSLR. A PnS camera also can do as well. Canon SX40-IS and G1X are my recommendations. They have swirl screen, manual setting (TV/AV/M) and option with external flash (Third party manual flash cost less then USD $50) With these settings you get closest as a DSLR. If you are looking for other brands, try to make sure they have these features.

There also lots of support gears (tripod, flash, reflector), some can DIY, some are harder. May be we can discuss this again in a separate thread...

Some of my setup shoots

http://www.flickr.com/photos/slmka/sets/72157627194404628/with/7274260082/

Lastly, it takes times to practice, but since is digital. Yourself is the limitation, don't give up if it doesn't turn out well ^_^

AnimatorAR
AntElitist
Sorry my recommendations will be base on Canon as been using Canon for almost 15yrs...

My main camera/lens for most doll shooting

Camera: 600D + 580 EX II

Lens: Canon 10-22mm, Canon 17-55mm F2.8, 100mm F2.8L Macro and 70-200mm F2.8L IS

The 10-22 and 17-55 are my fav lens, UWA (10-22) could create an interesting effect once you get use to the lens, and allow you to have a great close up (about 30cm) while the background still visible.

This whole event was taken with 10-22 with mounted flash, you could see some photos with an interesting distortion once you know your lens behavior

10-22mm pictures during AFA 11: AFA 11

The 17-55mm is for common shooting, with F2.8 to create bokeh or higher F-stop to get the background in view

The 100mm F2.8L Macro is for close up on face

The 70-200mm F2.8L IS, its advantage is allow you to shoot from far, allowing you to create a clear subject while your background could be bokeh (but shooting form a distance). The least use lens for doll shooting, due to its weight and shooting environment.

As for DSLR Camera, any average body can do quite a good job. But try to get one with a swirl screen (e.g. Canon 600D, 60D) so you can shoot at different angles. Make good use of live view to check when light is dim. Of course tripod is a must (in fact you need two)

As for lens, is bokeh important? Yes and No, you may want to bring out your subject with a shadow DOF, but if you are shooting with scenery, your will need like F8 or even higher to get picture in view. You can compare these 2 picture with same location, different F-stop (sorry is not a Dollfie pic but this is the only sample I have now)

F16: Sentosa Boardwalk

F2.8: Sentosa Boardwalk

But if you are on budget, since one DD could cost as much as a DSLR. A PnS camera also can do as well. Canon SX40-IS and G1X are my recommendations. They have swirl screen, manual setting (TV/AV/M) and option with external flash (Third party manual flash cost less then USD $50) With these settings you get closest as a DSLR. If you are looking for other brands, try to make sure they have these features.

There also lots of support gears (tripod, flash, reflector), some can DIY, some are harder. May be we can discuss this again in a separate thread...

Some of my setup shoots

http://www.flickr.com/photos/slmka/sets/72157627194404628/with/7274260082/

Lastly, it takes times to practice, but since is digital. Yourself is the limitation, don't give up if it doesn't turn out well ^_^

ah the 10-22 lens I saw someone who used it for landscape. The distortion is surprisingly minimal.

slmka

ah the 10-22 lens I saw someone who used it for landscape. The distortion is surprisingly minimal.

When on landscape the distortion is very much depends on distance of the object and the angle of the camera itself. Especially if aimed at buildings and tilted too much the distortion will be very obvious. Depends on what you really want. This can be good or bad...

Some fun example by using the 10-22 distortion...

CJN Singapore 2011

CJN Singapore 2011

CJN Singapore 2011

asianed

When on landscape the distortion is very much depends on distance of the object and the angle of the camera itself. Especially if aimed at buildings and tilted too much the distortion will be very obvious. Depends on what you really want. This can be good or bad...

CJN Singapore 2011

CJN Singapore 2011

CJN Singapore 2011

You can do a lot of interesting things with ultra-wides. The lens I use the most in my arsenal is a Tokina 12-24mm f/4. Depending on the angle you shoot at, the subject, and the distance, you can create some very cool effects. This is one of my favorites...

5995127497_e49aea7a2c_z.jpg

Neal Stomp! by asian ed, on Flickr

Also great if you want to get up close and personal with dolls...

6270756975_8658202b72_z.jpg

_DSC5817.jpg by asian ed, on Flickr

And not to mention fit lots of things in frame (especially with a lot of straight lines)…

6042573153_293f6f031c_z.jpg

_DSC5243.jpg by asian ed, on Flickr

AntElitist

CJN Singapore 2011

CJN Singapore 2011

CJN Singapore 2011

Cool yo. I used a Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye lens and it is indeed... awesome. I do know how UWA works so don't worry, just looking for info on Canon lenses

slmka

Cool yo. I used a Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye lens and it is indeed... awesome. I do know how UWA works so don't worry, just looking for info on Canon lenses

The UWA lens was the only lens brought the best surprise to me. I pretty much expected what I will get when I first trying macro and zoom lens. But when using the UWA the first time the result simply blown me away. Not about how wide it is, but the distortion just kick start me to learn its characteristics to max its "distortion" effect

I am also looking into a fisheye also. But have to save back up a bit first before getting one. Since I am on 1.6x body (no intention to FF yet as I need that extra 1.6x sometimes). My current aim is the Samyung 8mm fisheye. It is a manual lens, but for a price about $300 USD I think this lens will land in my camera bag pretty soon...

AntElitist

The UWA lens was the only lens brought the best surprise to me. I pretty much expected what I will get when I first trying macro and zoom lens. But when using the UWA the first time the result simply blown me away. Not about how wide it is, but the distortion just kick start me to learn its characteristics to max its "distortion" effect

I am also looking into a fisheye also. But have to save back up a bit first before getting one. Since I am on 1.6x body (no intention to FF yet as I need that extra 1.6x sometimes). My current aim is the Samyung 8mm fisheye. It is a manual lens, but for a price about $300 USD I think this lens will land in my camera bag pretty soon...

Is it really that expensive? I thought it is cheaper

RaveOfNightmares

Any recommendations or suggestions on an Ultra Wide Angle lens for a Sony A mount?

The closest I have is my 16-50 f2.8 SSM, which is 24mm equivalent on APS-C. It's not compatible with Full Frame though, which means if I ever wanted to pick one up, I'd be out the widest angle lens I have. Rumor has it that Sony is planning on announcing the first FF SLT camera bodies later this year, and if their current line of APS-C SLTs is an indicator, it's going to be a beastly piece of equipment. Rumor also has it that they're planning to announce a 50mm f1.2 Zeiss lens around the same time.

21 DD girls: Mio, Marina, Yui, Yoko, Nia, Lily, Arisu, Akina, Momo, Arisa, Yukina, Ayaka, Niimi, Eri, Millefeuille, Ekisu, Chitose, Miyabi, KOS-MOS v.4, Hatsune Miku and God Eater Alisa. 2B in a hopeful future.

AntElitist
Any recommendations or suggestions on an Ultra Wide Angle lens for a Sony A mount?

The closest I have is my 16-50 f2.8 SSM, which is 24mm equivalent on APS-C. It's not compatible with Full Frame though, which means if I ever wanted to pick one up, I'd be out the widest angle lens I have. Rumor has it that Sony is planning on announcing the first FF SLT camera bodies later this year, and if their current line of APS-C SLTs is an indicator, it's going to be a beastly piece of equipment. Rumor also has it that they're planning to announce a 50mm f1.2 Zeiss lens around the same time.

Nope sorry. Can't help you there ^^;; my knowledge on A-mount is not so good

Which flash doese canon-user use? ^^

580EX

slmka
Which flash doese canon-user use? ^^

If you have the budget, Canon 580 EX II or the new 600 series can't be wrong.

But if you have limited budget...

1) Nissin Di 866 Mk II - Have everything the 580 EX II have and is about 40% cheaper

2) If use mostly in indoors and your shutter speed don't go over 1/250

Youngno TTL Flash - depends on model they are from 60%~80% cheaper than 580 EX II, but offer less features and when using these flash the shutter speed can't go over 1/250.

gaiaswill

Nothing wrong with the Canon 430EX II or 320EX...

If you're willing to give up TTL and go "Strobist", there's the Lumopro LP160, which is very well featured other than the no-auto part.

slmka
Nothing wrong with the Canon 430EX II or 320EX...

If you're willing to give up TTL and go "Strobist", there's the Lumopro LP160, which is very well featured other than the no-auto part.

But Lumopro I see is quite expensive.(from Amazon) Mostly I buy Youngno flashes for support flash, even their TTL ver is quite cheap, and also offer S2 mode (fire off when main flash is triggered) which is good for a cheap wireless option especially if you have more than 1 camera or older DSLR which doesn't have wireless flash trigger option (works with PnS also).

Some YN Flash recommend:

TTL: YN-468 II, YN-565EX II

Non-TTL: YN-460, YN-560

AntElitist

YN is very popular among all the users I see too. For me I will just pass. Metz and Nikon flashes is still for me

slmka
YN is very popular among all the users I see too. For me I will just pass. Metz and Nikon flashes is still for me

Metz is slightly more expensive here...for Singapore both Metz and Nissin are the same distributor. So I ended up using Nissin Di 866 as one of my flashes (for its LED screen and easier to change battery)

If base on price, I think the arrangement should be like this : YN - Metz - Nissin - Canon/Nikon

RaveOfNightmares
New here, so I figured I'd toss in here what I use:

Sony A77V w/Vertical grip.

*Update* Minolta Maxxum 9000 film SLR

Lenses:

1- Sony 16-50mm f/2.8 SSM "kit" lens (I put that in parenthesis for a reason, that lens is far better than any basic "kit" lens, but the camera came with it).

2- Sony DT50mm f/1.8 SAM

3- Sony DT55-200mm f/4-5.6 SAM

4- Sony 70-400mm f/4-5.6 SSM G

*Update*

5- Sony DT 30mm f/2.8 MACRO SAM

6- Minolta VARISOFT ROKKOR 85mm f/2.8 1978 model manual portrait lens

7- Minolta CELTIC 135mm f/3.5 MC mount manual lens

*Update 2*

8- Minolta 35-70mm f/4 w/macro at 70mm

9- Minolta 50mm f/2.8 Macro

10- Minolta 70-210mm f/4 w/macro at 210mm

11- Minolta 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 w/macro

12- Platinum Optics 2x Teleconverter for Minolta AF/Sony A mount

Soon I'll be picking up some old Minolta MC/MD mount lenses from the 70s to use with it, along with an adapter ring. One of those lenses being the "legendary" portrait lens: Varisoft Rokkor-X 85mm f/2.8.

I also occasionally use my phone's camera. The phone being an HTC Doubleshot aka: T-Mobile MyTouch 4G Slide.

The board won't let me post any pictures atm, so that will have to come later.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I do not use Photoshop or perform any other post-processing on pictures I take, unless specified.

Edit 2: Added pic of Mio holding the A77 with the DT50 f/1.8. Also, if I had the money, I would absolutely love to add an a900 to my setup. I'd also love to add the NEX-7 to my setup, and I can actually afford that one, but I'm having a hard time justifying it atm.

Edit3: Nevermind on the picture, the BBCode doesn't want to work, so here's the link to it on Flickr:

http://flic.kr/p/by3xFU

Edit4: Added new lenses to the list and corrected some typos.

Adding a new camera and lens to this today. I picked this up as a smaller, lighter secondary/walkaround camera. I was enticed by the retro design, tank-like construction, and the crazy Hybrid Optical Rangefinder/Electronic Viewfinder.

Fujifilm X-Pro1

Fujinon 35mm f/1.4 Aspherical, X-Mount

gaiaswill

Fujifilm X-Pro1 makes me hot and bothered. Though I can't get my wallet to rise to the occassion.

Canon Rebel XSi

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

Canon EF 135mm f/2.8 SF

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (main lens)

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

Lensbaby Composer

Kenko Pro 300 1.4x Teleconverter

Nikon Speedlight SB-26 [x2]

Manfrotto 190MF4 w/ Acratech GP ballhead

I used to own a Canon 580EX II, but sold it after the 600EX-RT was introduced. So right now, I'm at a lighting crossroads and waiting for Canon mirrorless and a lower end radio flash. But Panasonic's new 12-35mm f/2.8 makes me take a really hard look at m4/3...

EDIT: Going m4/3 after all; the size difference is too compelling, especially for travel, which is the reason I got this kit in the first place. Sold my Canon 17-55mm to fund the move. Keeping the EF glass for a future 5DII like, 3+ years from now when it's $1k.

Edited by Guest