Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Anouc

Which camera do you use and...

RaveOfNightmares
Fujifilm X-Pro1 makes me hot and bothered. Though I can't get my wallet to rise to the occassion.

Canon Rebel XSi

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

Canon EF 135mm f/2.8 SF

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM (main lens)

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

Lensbaby

Kenko Pro 300 1.4x Teleconverter

Nikon Speedlight SB-26

I used to own a Canon 580EX II, but sold it after the 600EX-RT was introduced. So right now, I'm at a lighting crossroads and waiting for Canon mirrorless and a lower end radio flash. But Panasonic's new 12-35mm f/2.8 makes me take a really hard look at m4/3...

I took the X-Pro1 out to Balboa Park with the 35 f/1.4 to take some pictures of Mio and Arisa there, all I can say is wow... It's a blast to shoot with, and the pictures that come out of it are gorgeous! The total lack of image stabilization wasn't even noticeable.

How's the Lensbaby to shoot with?

21 DD girls: Mio, Marina, Yui, Yoko, Nia, Lily, Arisu, Akina, Momo, Arisa, Yukina, Ayaka, Niimi, Eri, Millefeuille, Ekisu, Chitose, Miyabi, KOS-MOS v.4, Hatsune Miku and God Eater Alisa. 2B in a hopeful future.

jadepixel

Ah, love the Fuji, their sensor is so nice! Can take great photos without much post process needed. I use Fuji X100 for all my vacation pics

For doll shots I'm using Canon 7D with Sigma 50mm lens. But if I had to get another DSLR, I'd try to get the Fuji X-Pro.

RaveOfNightmares
Ah, love the Fuji, their sensor is so nice! Can take great photos without much post process needed. I use Fuji X100 for all my vacation pics

For doll shots I'm using Canon 7D with Sigma 50mm lens. But if I had to get another DSLR, I'd try to get the Fuji X-Pro.

I just posted up the pics I took at the park with the Fuji.

21 DD girls: Mio, Marina, Yui, Yoko, Nia, Lily, Arisu, Akina, Momo, Arisa, Yukina, Ayaka, Niimi, Eri, Millefeuille, Ekisu, Chitose, Miyabi, KOS-MOS v.4, Hatsune Miku and God Eater Alisa. 2B in a hopeful future.

AntElitist

Not giving into the Fuji hype. Not too impressed.

Leonia

I use Nikon D3100 wit 15-55mm, 55-200mm and 50mm lens.

I bought it two years ago because I take some pictures of my figures collection too.

Now with my DD, I'm really happy to have it.

Yuuko (Yoko Custom), Naeko (Yuki Morikawa), Hanae (Sasara White Gothic ver.), - My Website - Flickr Account

Ara

Until last week I used a Canon 550D, my all-round lens was a 35mm prime.

Now I got myself a 5D Mark II and still need to figure out what kind of lens I want to use, or better upgrade since I have a few here that I use but they are mostly the "cheap" version of the available primes.

And also using a full-frame is different to a crop, my 35mm slowly starts to show distortions when coming too close, but I still love it too much to let it go ;_;

So far I have here:

Canon 5D II

35mm 2.0

50mm 1.4

75-300 (never used that one, maybe I should finally sell it)

I had the 18-55 IS II Kit lens too, but I only used it for sales pictures or commissions, since it was good for details and coming VERY close.

Anyone knows a similiar cheap lens for the full frame?

ZZ0WsD1.jpg

AntElitist
Until last week I used a Canon 550D, my all-round lens was a 35mm prime.

Now I got myself a 5D Mark II and still need to figure out what kind of lens I want to use, or better upgrade since I have a few here that I use but they are mostly the "cheap" version of the available primes.

And also using a full-frame is different to a crop, my 35mm slowly starts to show distortions when coming too close, but I still love it too much to let it go ;_;

So far I have here:

Canon 5D II

35mm 2.0

50mm 1.4

75-300 (never used that one, maybe I should finally sell it)

I had the 18-55 IS II Kit lens too, but I only used it for sales pictures or commissions, since it was good for details and coming VERY close.

Anyone knows a similiar cheap lens for the full frame?

Well, Lightroom at least is able to fix the distortion for ya.

75-300 is a range where DD Owners especially FF owners rarely touch. It's hard to shoot when you are >120mm away from your girls. So I would sell that too. Well unfortunately I'm a Nikon user so I can't really recommend a good FF lens. Also I heard Cropped lens don't work on FF body for Canon.

Ara

75-300 is a range where DD Owners especially FF owners rarely touch. It's hard to shoot when you are >120mm away from your girls. So I would sell that too. Well unfortunately I'm a Nikon user so I can't really recommend a good FF lens. Also I heard Cropped lens don't work on FF body for Canon.

I can't even remember how I got this lens, I only used it once to see how "far" away I can look with it (on the crop that was quite a lot, if I wanted I could have watched television in the neighbour's house ).

In Canon's case you can't use any of the EF-S lenses on the full frames, the EF are fine and no problem and can be used on any body. FDs need a few things to work on any digital bodies, so I won't even consider them.

Biggest reason why I keep the 35mm is for smaller stuff then dolls around the 60cm range.

For MSD/Yo-SDs and Figures it's still awesome and the distortion is still okay, only with the bigger ones (and humans) it's getting a bit more problematic when taking portraits.

Heck, best lens for me would be a 50mm that's able to come really close while still having good quality.

Sadly the 50mm macro is rubbish and the 50mm 1.2 L is not capable of coming so close.

And since I also shoot cosplays and fashion stuff I need some kind of a allrounder too.

So my 35mm will pretty much stay the cheap version for now and my 50mm will get an upgrade...and maybe get a 85mm or bigger for other stuff. Yes, I'm a sucker for primes and hate zooms

ZZ0WsD1.jpg

RaveOfNightmares

I can't even remember how I got this lens, I only used it once to see how "far" away I can look with it (on the crop that was quite a lot, if I wanted I could have watched television in the neighbour's house ).

In Canon's case you can't use any of the EF-S lenses on the full frames, the EF are fine and no problem and can be used on any body. FDs need a few things to work on any digital bodies, so I won't even consider them.

Biggest reason why I keep the 35mm is for smaller stuff then dolls around the 60cm range.

For MSD/Yo-SDs and Figures it's still awesome and the distortion is still okay, only with the bigger ones (and humans) it's getting a bit more problematic when taking portraits.

Heck, best lens for me would be a 50mm that's able to come really close while still having good quality.

Sadly the 50mm macro is rubbish and the 50mm 1.2 L is not capable of coming so close.

And since I also shoot cosplays and fashion stuff I need some kind of a allrounder too.

So my 35mm will pretty much stay the cheap version for now and my 50mm will get an upgrade...and maybe get a 85mm or bigger for other stuff. Yes, I'm a sucker for primes and hate zooms

I shoot Sony and Fuji myself, but I do understand about the prime vs. zoom conundrum.

I have various primes and zooms for my Sony, but I generally only use the primes for DD shooting, with the exception of occasionally using my 16-50mm 2.8 for wide angle shots, since my widest prime is a 35mm 1.8. I have on occasion shot face portraits of my girls with my 70-400 G lens from about 6ft away with the lens at 400mm, just for fun, but it's not something I do normally.

For my Fuji I only have a 35mm f/1.4 lens for it, luckily the camera compensates for nearly all of what distortion the lens has.

I've read about that Canon 50mm 1.2L, if you're worried about the distortion on your 35mm 2.0, stay far far away from the 50mm 1.2L, as its distortion is pretty much the worst found in a 50mm prime... 85mm primes are pretty awesome, but only if you're not worried about the ~3ft minimum focus distance, that and the price tag, as good 85mm primes are NOT cheap. Canon's 85mm 1.2L II retails for around $2200, while Sony's 85mm 1.4ZA retails for $1700 and is the sharper of the two, and Nikon's AF-S 85mm 1.4G retails at $1700 and is not as sharp or well behaved as either of the previous two. I pulled the lens reviews from slrgear.com to compare them.

Ara

@RaceofNightmares:

It's sad that Canon is not capable of making a good 50mm for once, I also only heard bad about the 50mm 1.2, same for all the others they offer.

The 1.8 is simply too cheap, too loud, too slow, the bokeh looks also horrible.

The 1.4 is also not the best, the Macro 2.5 is not really a great example for a good 50mm, and the ones from other companies have malfunctions.

And I also hate Sigma and the way they focus, I just can't stand it.

A friend of mine had both 85mm (the 1.2L is now the one she mainly chooses for everything), and she loved them both. She mostly upgraded because she got the L one for cheap from a friend.

Maybe I should ask her if she could borrow me that lens for a few days for testing it out.

Every time I use a zoom it feels just weird. I really prefer a prime, for simply everything, and the way you have to work with it. I barely miss the advantages of zooms most of the time.

ZZ0WsD1.jpg

RaveOfNightmares
@RaceofNightmares:

It's sad that Canon is not capable of making a good 50mm for once, I also only heard bad about the 50mm 1.2, same for all the others they offer.

The 1.8 is simply too cheap, too loud, too slow, the bokeh looks also horrible.

The 1.4 is also not the best, the Macro 2.5 is not really a great example for a good 50mm, and the ones from other companies have malfunctions.

And I also hate Sigma and the way they focus, I just can't stand it.

A friend of mine had both 85mm (the 1.2L is now the one she mainly chooses for everything), and she loved them both. She mostly upgraded because she got the L one for cheap from a friend.

Maybe I should ask her if she could borrow me that lens for a few days for testing it out.

Every time I use a zoom it feels just weird. I really prefer a prime, for simply everything, and the way you have to work with it. I barely miss the advantages of zooms most of the time.

I'm anxious to see how the rumored Sony 50mm 1.2 ZA is going to turn out.

Can't say I've tried any Sigma lenses, but all I've read says they're generally not quite as good as OEM lenses are.

The only Canon lens I've ever shot with was a 100-400 with a 2x teleconverter on an old 1D body that belonged to a special team on the US Navy ship I was stationed on. The pictures came out nice, but the in lens stabilizer was a bit unsettling to my stomach, as it was constantly attempting to compensate for the pitch and roll of the ship.

Too bad zooms generally have way too many disadvantages to make the few advantages even worth going for. The only real advantage most of the time is in the price tags.

sofiel

I have a nikon 5100 i got in january.

Came with 2 kit lenses. 18-55mm and 55-200

i was using the 18-55. until i bought the AF-s 50mm 1.8 G

which ive just been practicing with that now, and its deff. my fav so far.

PrettyCranium
I have a nikon 5100 i got in january.

Came with 2 kit lenses. 18-55mm and 55-200

i was using the 18-55. until i bought the AF-s 50mm 1.8 G

which ive just been practicing with that now, and its deff. my fav so far.

What do you like about the AF-s 50mm 1.8 G? Thinking about picking up another lens, though I also want a telephoto lens (like your 55-200) for doing bird and wildlife photos.

knibitz

prettyCranium ~ I have that same lens and it is a GODSEND. Absolutely must have lens for dolls!

perfect focal length, fantastic shallow DOF but still offering a crisp sharpness and it's CHEAP

If you check out my flickr, almost all of my shots are with that lens (I dont have any DDs just yet, but I do have a plethora of SD sized resin BJDs)

a shot I got yesterday with the lens (resin SD)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8166/7481326644_95741c4f88_b.jpg

ANYWHO!

I have a Nikon D7000

My main lens, as stated above is a 50mm f/1.8 AF-S Nikkor

I do have a 55-200 cheapo nikkor zoom lens that never sees the light of day XD

I'm looking to get a 60mm marco, and swapping out my 50mm for the version without the focus motor (offers a softer focus, which appeals to me style-wise)

sofiel

I love the lens alot. I'm not used to having to stand father away from my subjects though XD.

I don't like the 55-200 at all. I can never seem to get it to work lol.

But the 50Mm its amazing quality and the bokeh is superb.

I like the auto focus on it. Just makes it a little easier.

I want a really good tele and macro lens lol they are out of my budget anytime soon

PrettyCranium

Thanks for the input. I might pick up this lens soon, it seems relatively inexpensive for a lens.

Singer Yuna

I use a Canon 550D

Their lenses are:

50mm 1.8

Sigma 18-250

And also my mobile camera which has 8 megapixels and it's an HTC Sensation XL.

image.png.cbc1e19648277386a02b21f041664ca5.png

katnaper

Nikon D5000 with the 18-55mm kit lens and an AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D lens.

35627757593_19f2b2cd8a_n.jpg

We have our own BLOG. Please visit us at the House of Nyan by clicking this link or our sig above. See you there. Or, come see what Nyanko-sensei is up to at the Katnaper's Den

xsoverload

Currently own a Canon 550D/T2i, Sony NEX-5N and a Canon G11.

550D/T2i

Sigma 17-50 f/2.8

Canon 50 f/1.8

Canon 70-200 f/4

Sony NEX-5N

Sony 18-55 f/3.5-5.6

Sony 16 f/2.8

More often than not, probably use the 550D/T2i when I need a speedlight/flash. The NEX-5N will be used when I want to pack light. The G11 is the back up when either fails.

RaveOfNightmares

Too many previous versions of my equipment post, so I'm redoing it due to multiple updates.

Cameras:

1. Sony A77VQ w/VG-C77AM

7707603556_5b0888376e.jpg

2. Fujifilm X-Pro1

7707690298_54b50ffcfa.jpg

3. Minolta Maxxum 9000 Film SLR, needs aperture mechanism repairs.

7707652218_f3aba63582.jpg

Lenses:

Sony/Minolta A-Mount:

Sony DT 16-50 F/2.8

Sony DT 30mm F/2.8 Macro

Sony DT 35mm F/1.8

Minolta 35-70mm F/4

Minolta 50mm F/2.8 Macro

Sony DT 50mm F/1.8

Minolta 50mm F/1.7

Sony 50mm F/1.4

Sony DT 55-200mm F/4-5.6

Minolta 70-210mm F/4

Sony G 70-400mm F/4-5.6

Sony Zeiss 85mm F/1.4ZA

Minolta 100-300mm F/4.5-5.6

Minolta MC/MD Mount

Minolta Varisoft Rokkor 85mm F/2.8

Minolta Celtic 135mm F/3.5

Fujifillm X Mount

Fujinon XF35mm F/1.4R

Lights

Sony HVL-43AM

Fujifilm EF-X20

Other

MC/MD - A Mount adapter w/glass

MC/MD - A Mount adapter no glass

Platinum Optics A Mount 2x Teleconverter

Tripods and Monopods

Quantaray QSX 9502TM tripod w/panhead (center column detachable monopod)

Joby Gorillapod Focus tripod w/ballhead X

Digipower tripod w/panhead (cheap, red, and lightweight)

Sony VCT-MP1 Multipod w/ballhead (monopod with optional detachable mini-tripod legs)

gaiaswill

In addition to my existing SLR system, I have started to assemble a micro 4/3 system, so I'll consolidate here as well.

• Canon EF:
    Bodies Canon Rebel XSi (EOS 450D) & EOS 7E (EOS 30)
    Lenses
    • Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    • Canon EF 135mm f/2.8 SF
    • Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (main lens)
    • Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
    • Lensbaby Composer
    • Minolta 85mm f/2.8 Varisoft (converted to EF)
    • Tamron 70-150mm f/2.8 Softfocus (Adaptall 2 mount)
    • Kenko Pro 300 1.4x Teleconverter

Micro 4/3:

Body Olympus PEN E-PL1 & Panasonic GF3

• Panasonic 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Pancake PZ OIS
  • Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 Pancake

General:

Nikon Speedlight SB-26 [x2]

Manfrotto 190MF4 with Acratech GP ballhead

The E-PL1 is a steal at $150 shipped (Cameta Camera refurb); that's compact camera pricing! My planned m43 lenses are all geared toward travel rather than portraiture, which I have relegated to the Canon system.

@RaveOfNightmares You mentioned the Minolta 85mm Varisoft in another thread. Canon's 135mm Softfocus is just too long, especially on APS, so this focal length got my interest. I pulled the trigger on one and should arrive soon. I'm going to get it converted to EF.

Also, missed your question about the Lensbaby. Honestly, it's the lens I like least in my system. It's probably my frustration with a failed shoot I did with it and just haven't gone back to. It's bleepbersome to use: replaceable aperture discs instead of a aperture blades and a sharp spot that is hard to see well with an optical viewfinder. Seeing others' work makes me believe there is some potential to be realized, but I can't in good conscience recommend it. For a user who wants a toy lens for play, I would point out the Holga is 10% of the price.

Edited by Guest

tsunamidelta

I applaud all the wonderful camera set ups presented here. So I think it's only fair I share my own... Which is a very unglamourous rig.. but I work the hell out of it.

I shoot with a Canon 1000D w/ a 50mm prime f1.8 lense generally

and other times with a 60 prime macro f2.0

Thats really it.. Nothing fancy. It does the job, I've even taken this set and done Fashion glamour photography.

Chocolatedecadence

While I'm saving up for a Canon 5D MarkII, I'm still using Olympus.

I'd love to sell my Olympus equipment in one package, but it's hard. And without the money from the sale, it takes even longer to get the money for the MarkII :'D

Body: Olympus E-620 + HLD5

Lenses: Olympus ED 40-150mm 1:3.5-4.5

Olympus ED 17.5-45mm 1:3.5-5.6

Sigma 50mm 1:1.4

Tokina M42 135mm 1:2.8

Telekonverter

Reversering

Metz Mecablitz 36 AF-5

Hpyon

I've got an ancient Nikon D70S body and 95% of the time I use the Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens. Got an 18-70 and 55-200 as well but haven't really found any use for them since the 50mm has so much better optics than any other cheapo lenses and the focal length works well for con & cosplay photography.

Right now I've got a loaner 5DMKIII with 24-105 4L, Sigma 50mm 1.4 and a Canon 20-35mm wide angle, and it looks like there's no going back to the old setup anymore :D

Currently pondering between a used MKII or a brand new 6D, I've found a pretty cheap MKII body and just waiting to hear from the seller. Probably gonna start out with just a 50mm 1.8 and then eventually get a 24-105 4L for more versatile event photography.

And haha, most of the time I'm using my iPhone 4 though! But maybe a new DSLR would make me use it more often than a couple times every year.

hsinner324

Have two setups that I regularly use-

Digital:

Canon 5dmk2, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Canon 35mm f/2

Film:

Leica M6, Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4

Ricoh GR1s

Portra 400 for color and tri-x 400 or Neopan 400 for black and white photos

A common accessory I use for my cameras is a 580exii flash unit, if I'm feeling brave on any particular day while out on the street.