Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Anouc

Which camera do you use and...

RaveOfNightmares

I'm guessing the one on the right is the 5DII, the color is ever so slightly better and there's a tiny bit more detail. Overall both shots came out great and a testament to what can be done with a pair of very different priced cameras in the right hands.

I'm not really a fan of Canon myself (I prefer the Minolta/Sony colors and controls), but as stated, it's the photographer that makes the shot, the camera is just along for the ride. That is unless it's a phone camera, they're just a pain to get much good out of without a ton of extra effort.

I can understand the horrid reviews on the M when it came out, so expensive compared to all the other better mirrorless options on the market, but with a massive price drop I can see it being more attractive for a Canon shooter as a backup.

21 DD girls: Mio, Marina, Yui, Yoko, Nia, Lily, Arisu, Akina, Momo, Arisa, Yukina, Ayaka, Niimi, Eri, Millefeuille, Ekisu, Chitose, Miyabi, KOS-MOS v.4, Hatsune Miku and God Eater Alisa. 2B in a hopeful future.

-Mei

Sorry if i dig the thread but i'm new to the forum = )

While it is true that you can spend ~500$ for a good camera or even less, at the end of the day it is still what matters to you that decide your choice. Comparing a M with a 5DII is not really valid though. What makes full frame really shines apart from the rest sensors, especially for portraint, is bokeh. With basic lightning you may not see much; but once there are multiple light sources/ night shooting/ lots and lots of colors going on in the scene you will immediately see the difference.

Do you like to have the ability to switch glass or just prefer a simple fixed lens without worrying too much about everything else? If it is color tone that you like, of course lightroom and photoshop is an option but it is also personal preference.

For me, the most important aspect i'm looking for is color tone. I'm addicted to it so much that whenever i buy a display i always make sure it's at least 100% sRGB coverage while most people prefer refresh rate. Err back to topic ^^ That being said, i prefer photos that are straight from the camera. Modifying RAW file is ok, but too many filters make it feels artificial.

And with that in mind, here are my choices if i can resist buying clothes and accessory for my girl for camera. I will list 1 for budget and the other if money is not an issue for you

Canon: 6D - for budget or 5DIII

Nikon: D610 - despite some reports about the sensor oil problem continues, Nikon's picture quality over Canon is hard to pass. Or D800

Sony: RX1R - this is not a DSLR. It's a fixed lens point n shoot. What's good about it is that you don't need to worry too much about anything else. Yes you cant even zoom But that's exactly why i consider it highly. Ever having trouble imagine what you want the photo to turn out? Well with this you get what you see on the screen. No need for composition or worrying about choice of lens. It is equipped with a Zeiss lens anyway, basically best on the world. If glass matter for you, get A99.

And sony's sensor combine with Minolta/Zeiss glass produce amazing colors! If you ever saw picture of AzureTB and several other DD shooters on flickr, they only use sony.

Leica costs as much as Sasara on ebay so no

Sagy

I use a canon D700 with a Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD, i will get another lens for portait fotos one day, but for now im actually fine with that one.

katnaper

Hmmm... haven't posted here in a while. Though I still have my Nikon D5000 I haven't been using it much lately since I've been using my Sony Nex F3 for most of my photos. Then again, I haven't been doing DD photos in a long while so that's one of the reasons why I don't use the Nikon, well, that and the fact that the Sony is so compact and delivers what I want.

35627757593_19f2b2cd8a_n.jpg

We have our own BLOG. Please visit us at the House of Nyan by clicking this link or our sig above. See you there. Or, come see what Nyanko-sensei is up to at the Katnaper's Den

Darkmuse

Canon EOS 1000D + 18-55mm len. I still have a lot to learn about taking nice photo.

andreamillo5

Canon rebel t3i with the base lens and the 50mm lens one for close up pictures.

Wayfinder

I use a Sony NEX 5N. For doll photos I usually use the SEL30M35 3.5/30 macro lens if I'm indoors or the SEL20F28 2.8/20 pancake if I'm outdoors. Both let me get close or stay mid-range. Prime lenses are just something I tend to impose on myself as reminder to think as I'm composing - if I get my hands on zoom capability I seem to get sloppy and cut off things I shouldn't.

The SEL1855 3.5-5.6/18-55 is what's mounted most of the time for casual use, natch.

unknowdata

Indoor:

Nikon D800

Sigma Art 50mm F1.4

SB900 or SB910 flash (either one of them if they are within my reach)

I still have Nikon D90 + Nikon 35mm F1.8 as a backup camera (while sending D800 to repair)

Outdoor:

Nikon D800

Nikon 14-24mm F2.8

Nikon 24-70mm F2.8

Nikon SB910

Dollmeet:

Sony A7R

Leica 50mm F2 Summicron

or just iPhone camera

I think I could stop thinking about spending so much on a camera (I still want a film Leica just for lol though) and just focus on prop, lighting, posing, and learn how to be more creative with my photo

turbow

When I'm taking it (quite) serious, I use Nikon D800 with Nikkor Micro 60mm f/2.8 ED, 50mm f/1.4 AI, 50mm f/1.4G, and Speedlight SB900 (when there's not enough light).

When I'm taking it lightly, I use Panasonic DMC-GX1 with 20mm f/1.7.

But when I'm lazy, I use iPhone. LOL

Aile

I Primarily use a Nikon D90 + 35mm (or 50mm) F1.8 Prime lens. Also use an Amaran ringlight now and then too.

I've actually been meaning to upgrade my camera body for a while now, but ehh maybe when the quality of my photos actually get better I probably should invest in a speedlight first though

CREW:

Haruna (Alter V2 remakeup ver) ☆ Nyx (Rise remakeup ver) ☆ Senka (Rise ) ☆ Aila (DDH-01) ☆ Nero (Saber Extra) ☆ Sora (Miku) ☆ Anemone (Sasara V2) ☆ Beauvoir (Sheryl Nome Remakep ver) ☆ Nymnir Nyven (Yuriko & Liliru) ☆ Jeanne D' Arc ☆ Y'shtola ☆ Leucothea (2b Remakeup ver) 

IG

BeyondTime
I Primarily use a Nikon D90 + 35mm (or 50mm) F1.8 Prime lens. Also use an Amaran ringlight now and then too.

I've actually been meaning to upgrade my camera body for a while now, but ehh maybe when the quality of my photos actually get better I probably should invest in a speedlight first though

The D90 is a good camera feature-wise. The megapixels are a bit low by current standards, but it's still a good unit and 12 mp is not bad.

I use a D800, but I primarily do landscapes and architecture. The 36 mp approaches the cheaper medium format Hasselblads without the $30,000 price tag, and for what I do with it that makes sense. I just happen to use it for Dollfie too. I have a variety of wide angle and fisheye lenses, but I don't have a good portrait lens. I Usually use my 50mm f 1.4 prime for doll photos, but I'd love to add an 85 mm lens for use on dolls.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

VeRT

Fujifilm X-Pro 1 + 35mm f1.4 or Super Takumar 28mm f3.5

with YN560IV flash

They're old and outdated because i'm poor and can't afford shiny gears lol

jazijaz

I just use my cellphone camera (Samsung galaxy) it takes very beautiful pictures and I also use my very 8 years old cheap camera that needs a lot of work (like I can take 50 pictures and only 3 out of those look good XD). My sister has a Nikkon and I found it very difficult to use and the pictures were not bad but they didn't look that good considering that my sister spent almost $1000 on the camera...or probably I still don't know how to use it still, I'm content with my cell photos.

ions

I'm currently still using an 8 year old Panasonic DMC-FZ18. I was pretty satisfied with it even though the focus on it isn't always perfect.

I've had the opportunity to borrow a Nikon D5500 with a few different lenses. There is definitely a learning curve going to an older style point and click with some adjustments to a full manual DSLR now that I've seen first hand what can be done I'll find it hard to go back to my own camera. Once I have the funds I'll likely be investing in a new equipment for myself.

zaylea

I have a Nikon D90 with an SB-600 flash. My favorite lens is my AF Nikkor 50mm/1.4. It's just so great for both dolly and human portraits. If I'm going to be out and about, I will also pack my AF Nikkor 24mm/2.8 and my AF-S Nikkor 55-300mm/4.5-5.6.

rensuchan

I'm surprised I never replied here even after being a member for almost 2 years now... being that I'm all about the photography xD

I use a Nikon D810 and Nikon D500 currently. It's definitely not necessary to use high end camera bodies like this to get nice doll shots but I do other photography outside of doll photography so I try to keep my gear as good as I can afford.

I own 7 different lenses but generally with dolls, I like to use my Tamron 90mm f/2.8 VC Macro lens because it's very versatile for doll photography. 90mm is a decent focal length for portraits and being a macro lens, it allows me to focus close on any doll size from DD all the way down to tiny 10cm dolls. My secondary lens for dolls would be an older 28-105mm lens from the film era. From 50-105mm that lens allows very close focus as well down to 1:2 macro at 105mm... but it's much older and lacks modern features like the Tamron to eliminate camera shake. If I don't have as much room though it's a better lens to bring since it zooms.

In general I would always suggest picking up a macro lens to doll photographers. They are incredibly useful especially if you own tiny dolls. For people that only own dollfie dreams / mini dollfie dreams though, it's a bit less necessary as basic zooms often will get you close enough given their size.

sinclair

I have a Panasonic GF5. I have used the kit lens (14-42mm) as well as my Canon FD f1.8 50mm.

Edited by Guest

Steffipuschel

I got a Sony Nex 5 with my always on Tamron 18-200 and the SEL50F18 which I'm not using so often because I'm lazy ^^

like to Zoom not to move forward or backward

I would love to have a good makro lense with 100 or even 200 and a small distance but there aren't many and they are all super, super expensive

silky08

I have two cameras

1. Olympus E-3

+ Zuiko Digital 7-14mm F4

+ Zuiko Digital 14-54mm F2.8-3.5

+ Zuiko Digital 50-200mm F2.8-3.5

2. Olympus E-M5 Mark II

+ M.Zuiko Digital 60mm F2.8 Macro

I love Olympus's jpeg feeling, and I want to add lens, M.Zuiko 25mm F1.2, for the out focusing.

sinclair

Have you used the 4/3 lenses on the mFT body yet? I've wonder how well it works.

silky08

No, I don't have the MMF-3 converter yet.

I have wonder too, but the MMF-3 is out of stock in my country.

sinclair

Pity, I was wondering if it was worth getting. Guess I'll stick with old Canon glass on mine for now.

RaveOfNightmares
Fujifilm X-Pro 1 + 35mm f1.4 or Super Takumar 28mm f3.5

with YN560IV flash

They're old and outdated because i'm poor and can't afford shiny gears lol

I fairly recently swapped out my X-Pro 1 for the X-Pro 2. The in optical finder digital split-frame focus assist makes a huge difference in the feel and function. I adored my X-Pro 1, only wishing it had a focus assist in the optical finder.

21 DD girls: Mio, Marina, Yui, Yoko, Nia, Lily, Arisu, Akina, Momo, Arisa, Yukina, Ayaka, Niimi, Eri, Millefeuille, Ekisu, Chitose, Miyabi, KOS-MOS v.4, Hatsune Miku and God Eater Alisa. 2B in a hopeful future.

Tiriaq

...best lenses for dolls are macro lenses - yes you have to move, so work it! You'll love the lens opening and if you spend more money you can get a stabilizer with it that helps you even get a half or one stop down.

I shot most pictures with the Canon 7D mark I but since a few months I've got the Mark II. Most shots are made with a cheap 50mm macro lens that you can buy for under 50 euro and has f2.8 because I don't have much space in my little living room otherwise I could use my 100mm stabilized macro lens but my back is often against the wall when I use that one.

http://www.flickr.com/beautiful-dolls/

http://www.instagram.com/Tiriaq_BJD

http://www.tiriaq-photography.tumblr.com

http://www.tiriaq.deviantart.com

http://www.facebook.com/dolldater

http://www.500px.com/TiriaqLuSophia

http://www.pinterest.com/Tiriaq

http://www.twitter.com/Tiriaq_LuSophia

http://www.youtube.com/user/dolldater

http://www.tiriaq.artstation.com

http://tiriaq.weebly.com

http://www.worbla.com/?p=4869

Skadi

I bought the cheapest Mirrorless with interchangeable lens I could find, the Canon EOS M10 and I can say that I'm happy with it.

The quality of the photos is good and it has everything I need.

In addition to the 15-45mm kit lens I also got an 55.200mm tele lens.