Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

monkeypizzasonic

New Basic Dolls

Rneiro
26 minutes ago, monkeypizzasonic said:

Non-articulate bodies for floaty heads, and cocoa-Kabuki.

Wow. I wonder if it’ll be cheaper or more expensive than an articulate body. I’m still interested either way.

I already came up with a nickname for cocoa Kabuki!

CocoaBuki!

marishade

I personally do not see the point of the new seemless body, but I like my articulation.

• Like 2

monkeypizzasonic
31 minutes ago, marishade said:

I personally do not see the point of the new seemless body, but I like my articulation.

Think of it like a bigger, very fancy bust stand.

moerunamida

I wouldn't be surprised if the new body is a flop. I remember back in 2018 he previewed non articulated lower arms with hands, aiming at people who didn't want to fuss with changing hands or wrist joints. That product never saw a sales page nor was it mentioned again.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

monkeypizzasonic

I think it'll depend on the price point - if they can manage to get it to $300 or less then it might be a viable option for people who want to display their chaos heads. People in the comments have also suggested having a bunch of these + a normal body and just swapping heads onto the regular body when you want to take them out for photoshoots or something.

...Then again, it's Danny, which means there's a good chance it'll end up too expensive/too limited/randomly discontinued on a whim.

• Like 1

marishade

$300 is expensive for a glorified "too big" bust stand.

• Like 2

AliensOfGold
2 hours ago, Deyja said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the new body is a flop. I remember back in 2018 he previewed non articulated lower arms with hands, aiming at people who didn't want to fuss with changing hands or wrist joints. That product never saw a sales page nor was it mentioned again.

3 to 6 months and it will be another failed product prototype in the garage selling for 500,000yen to recoup the wasted costs he put into it.

You guys don’t seriously think this will be a real product do you? It’s Danny the master of failure.

Edited by AliensOfGold
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

monkeypizzasonic

Look, I'm as critical of DC as y'all are, but it's not like every single thing he's shown prototypes for has never been made, and I've seen nice resin busts for around that price.

The idea isn't necessarily bad, so I'd rather wait for more info and pricing before we start bashing it. (At least in the news thread. We can speculate in the debacle thread as much as we want.)

• Like 1

Jezrah

I personally would not pay more than half price, like around $150 or so, for a non posing body. Also, to me the hip bones look like they're in the wrong place once there are no joints to distract. 

• Like 1

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

Lurks

You know, Danny, you could just...I dunno...sell regular bodies separately for people who want bodies for their chaos heads. That way, you wouldn't have to do all this research and development for this nearly non-articulated body I can guarantee you won't be worth it monetarily in the long run. And hey, that means your employees won't have to learn to put together an entirely new body and thus have to do more work like you always say you want to avoid having them do! They'll just have to do what they usually do now!

Hell, if you really do want to make something new to support the floating heads out there, just make a bust combined with a stand like regular doll companies do. It'd be like classical statue busts, but with Smartdolls! You wouldn't really have to have your employees learn to put as many parts together that way. And it'd be a great way for folks with those heads to have something to place them on to paint face-ups and style wigs more easily.

But...no. You decided to make an entire expensive, nearly non-articulated body to sell. *sigh*

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

$300 isn't too much for a bust with arms. I'm coming from resin though, where the artsy fartsy ones are in that price range. 

BeyondTime
3 hours ago, Lurks said:

You know, Danny, you could just...I dunno...sell regular bodies separately for people who want bodies for their chaos heads.

But then people might get strange ideas like buying a SmartDoll body for a DD head, and that would create a rip in space time and destroy the universe. @onion13@

• Haha 6

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

The non articulated body is kinda strange cause there’s not much you can do with it, more like a figure than a doll imo.

Irulazuli

Well, I was pretty excited when I saw that Smart Doll was making a seamless body... until I've noticed that it is supposed to be non-articulated. Hard pass. The pose is too stiff and unappealing in my opinion - it might be for ease of dressing, but if this is supposed to be a glorified bust stand, I think a more dynamic pose would go a long way (something like one leg slightly bent, hand raised closer to the face, etc).

Nice that Danny has credited the sculptors though!

marishade

I am coming from resin too and I would not pay $300 for a bust stand there either. That is the price of some doll bodies or close to it. If I get a bust stand it is because it is a cheaper way to display the head while I save for the body. Or, if I have two heads sharing a body then a cheap way to still see the head while it is not using the body if I so choose.

I like Smart Doll, most of his prototype products I actually look forward to (whether they become realities or not), but this just does not 'speak' to me. Like others have said, a normal bust stand I would have been alright with (as long as price reasonable) or just sell the bodies separately again to account for all the heads being sold in garage or chaos.

Edited by marishade
added info

Mizuumi-no-Otome

I really like the seamless body!  

Edited by Mizuumi-no-Otome

monkeypizzasonic

(I mean I guess 1/6 clothes in the thick denim he likes would be difficult...but people make wigs for like 1/12 that look fine so idk what he's on about with that.)

Anyway, 1/4 SmD - looks like they have 1/4 sized heads as well instead of keeping the 1/3 heads like MDD. More work, but I guess he's really picky about aesthetic. 

• Like 2

Manaphyyy

With the mature body he's going with, I think the smaller head works better than MDD style bobbleheads (even though they're freakin' adorable). I've come to love 1/3 scale dolls, but there's a lot of people who prefer smaller dolls, so if this goes through, it would definitely introduce a new market to SmD.

Re: hair, if he sticks with the synthetic fiber they currently use for wigs, it can be difficult to make it do what you want as the scale gets smaller. I tried making a synthetic wig with similar fiber for a fashon scale BJD and the fiber is so thick in proportion to the doll that it stays a bit stiff and unnatural looking. It can be done by someone with more experience than me, but switching to more natural or softer(/more expensive) fibers--mohair, yarns, etc.--tends to work significantly better the smaller you go.

takatsuki

I’d love a smaller smd. I have a DDP and an Obitsu 47, so 49cm would fit right in. This size would give me the push to finally, seriously consider getting a smd. We’ll see as this might never happen.

If Danny goes through with it and sells the 49cm SmDs, I’d want one, I’d think they’d be really cute.

monkeypizzasonic

Tea Kabuki

marishade

Very excited about Tea Kabuki. Cannot buy her yet but she is on my list.

The 1/4 Smart Doll is looking good. I am curious about the internal frame and what the range of posability is.

AngryPomeranian

I love tea Kabuki! She looks sort of evil, like a pretty evil queen/sorceress. Hmm...so many possibilities!