Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

BeyondTime

2021 DD Pre-order Project - FFXIV Y'shtola

BeyondTime

For those who might be thinking of buying her smaller busts, here she is with S & SS.

52614192100_408eb4753d_o.jpgY'shtola Rhul - SS & S Bust.jpg by Cult of Athena, on Flickr

She's wearing the S-Bust in this one. The outfit does end up a bit baggy in the chest, but the material is so dark I had to look closely to tell. With posing YMMV.

52614054809_667f5ea0f5_h.jpgY'shtola Rhul - Intro-4848-Edit.jpg by Cult of Athena, on Flickr

One advantage to an alternate bust is the default with the tattoo won't stain from her outfit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Misheru

I have her in just plain clothes at the moment. We are still waiting for hubby’s to be shipped from SE in order to dress them both up at the same time. But she is gorgeous! Even prettier than I had hoped she would be.

• Like 1

~ Misheru...the *M* in H&M House of Vinyl ~ ℒℴѵℯ❤

( ͒ ु•·̫• ू ͒) ˚₊✩‧ All your dolliehs are belong to us! ✩‧₊˚ ( ͒ ु•·̫• ू ͒)

maankatje2000
On 1/8/2023 at 5:07 AM, BeyondTime said:

For those who might be thinking of buying her smaller busts, here she is with S & SS.

52614192100_408eb4753d_o.jpgY'shtola Rhul - SS & S Bust.jpg by Cult of Athena, on Flickr

She's wearing the S-Bust in this one. The outfit does end up a bit baggy in the chest, but the material is so dark I had to look closely to tell. With posing YMMV.

52614054809_667f5ea0f5_h.jpgY'shtola Rhul - Intro-4848-Edit.jpg by Cult of Athena, on Flickr

One advantage to an alternate bust is the default with the tattoo won't stain from her outfit.

Love seeing other people's Y'shtolas. She is a beauty!

• Like 1

black_magicat

so, after not hearing anything about my order.. i checked the SE website and it says March 2023. Glad to see people are getting thier orders already but not going to lie, im pretty upset that SE website is lagging behind. :( 

• Sad 1

BeyondTime
8 hours ago, black_magicat said:

so, after not hearing anything about my order.. i checked the SE website and it says March 2023. Glad to see people are getting thier orders already but not going to lie, im pretty upset that SE website is lagging behind. :(

Pre-order projects often get broken down into delivery batches, and it does make some sense that Volks might require their traditional pre-order schedule to take priority over third party sales. 

Having multiple batches separated by several months, on top of a longer than normal production cycle, would seem to indicate that Y'shtola was popular

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Misheru
10 hours ago, black_magicat said:

My husband is furious about this as well since he paid so much more than I did buying directly from Volks. Plus he ordered from SE as soon as she became available. I did not even know that Volks was offering her yet and I placed my order with them later. I offered to swap dolls with him and he refused, but he is just really upset that since it was SE’s project, Volks did not dropship the items to SE first so that the deliveries could at least be similar in time. I told my husband that the dolls sold from SE North America will probably come by sea along with the ones for Volks USA.  His point was that as much extra as he (and others paid), Volks should have used someone like FedEx cargo to expedite the products to SE.  I cannot blame him or anyone else for being upset.

Edited by Misheru
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Misheru

Mine is being pretty in pink for now and I may cursed for it…haha. But I like her cute side. =^.^= 

4BDC37B6-3343-41AD-B2EE-CE5EDF5B6F23.jpeg

• Like 9

BeyondTime
4 hours ago, Misheru said:

but he is just really upset that since it was SE’s project, Volks did not dropship the items to SE first so that the deliveries could at least be similar in time. I told my husband that the dolls sold from SE North America will probably come by sea along with the ones for Volks USA.  His point was that as much extra as he (and others paid), Volks should have used someone like FedEx cargo to expedite the products to SE.

That's not really how it works though. The DD pre-order project is Volks' project and not SE's, and it ultimately operates on their scheduling priorities. SE is the license holder and has a negotiated role in the project with the license as leverage, and timing was undoubtedly a part of any negotiations. I don't think Volks would have ever agreed to have the annual pre-order ship to their own customers after the end of 2022.

Think of it this way: For Volks the annual pre-order is a long standing tradition that operates under a well established standard. For SE this is just another figure license, albeit a much grander one than a traditional PVC or figma. For Volks, the timeline represents an expectation held by their own customer base, but for SE's FFXIV players there is no set expectation based on an annual offering. For Volks, their timeline standards likely carried more weight for them in negotiations than the timeline did for SE. For SE, that might have allowed them to negotiate other things that were more important or beneficial to them. Those things could even potentially be things related to future collaboration projects, or it might have been things like having Y'shtola's character designer get the final say in everything.

I can totally get the aspect of "Hey, I shelled out $1000+ dollars, now where's my stuff?" I just don't believe there was any likely scenario where Volks was going to deliver to SE weeks or months before their own customers. At best, if orders were low, you might have seen a tandem release, but March is longer than it took for them to produce enough Jeanne D'Arcs for Pre-order and she came with a lot of stuff, so I think they had a lot of Y’shtola orders to fill.

As far as shipping, yes they could have, but figure on that adding $70 or so dollars to the cost of each doll. At some point the added cost would have made people not buy from SE, and they had to weigh that. The hourly rate for a 747 DreamLifter is about $19000 per hour of flight time, with a roughly 11 hour flight from Japan, so fast was going to be considerably more cost for the customer. There are other air options than a DreamLifter, but air is always going to be $$$.

3 hours ago, Misheru said:

Mine is being pretty in pink for now

She's really cute, and the cat eared cap is a great touch. 

• Like 3

finnleo
56 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

As far as shipping, yes they could have, but figure on that adding $70 or so dollars to the cost of each doll.

If we assume the same licence royalty goes into sqeenix pockets from the volks direct shipments, there was already a 150 euro premium to be payed by going sqeenix that I calculated during the order phase for european buyers, so paying significantly more and then getting pushed back to the line of deliveries is a bad look, since just with that difference volks could have shipped the dolls via their normal carrier to the squeenix warehouses for shipping (if the 7500 yen shipping cost is anything to believe for Yor, the outfit shipping was interesting in the end.)

Edit, just to clarify, this ultimately is a square-store problem, not a volks problem.

Edited by finnleo

RetroKanojo
1 hour ago, Misheru said:

Mine is being pretty in pink for now and I may cursed for it…haha. But I like her cute side. =^.^= 

4BDC37B6-3343-41AD-B2EE-CE5EDF5B6F23.jpeg

I know nothing about FFXIV or Y'shtola, but this looks absolutely adorable. @onion26@

BeyondTime
54 minutes ago, finnleo said:

If we assume the same licence royalty goes into sqeenix pockets from the volks direct shipments, there was already a 150 euro premium to be payed by going sqeenix that I calculated during the order phase for european buyers, so paying significantly more and then getting pushed back to the line of deliveries is a bad look,

That I would not dispute. I totally get people being irate about their expensive purchase taking extra time. I’m just saying this was never going to be SE getting the dolls ahead of Volks’ direct sales customers, and I don’t believe they would have delayed pre-order project delivery into 2023 for anything other than a catastrophe.  

finnleo
23 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

I’m just saying this was never going to be SE getting the dolls ahead of Volks’ direct sales customers

again putting emphasis that this is a Square-store issue.

Lets forget for a moment the concept of square-store getting inventory before volks for shipping their orders.

What I see as the biggest gripe is more of a thing that the square-store orders despite the hefty markup are not even being part of the first wave (like we know enough orders, we get release waves, first come, first served as per normal procedure), there is enough price difference to cover expediated shipping costs, so instead of a assumed 1-2 week delay versus direct volks shipping depending on logistics, square-store orders automatically get a three month delay for no obvious reason, if these orders had been part of the normal pre-order ecosystem.

So the only deduction to this is that square-store just decided to shaft people quite royally, and pocket a good chunk of change.

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, finnleo said:

So the only deduction to this is that square-store just decided to shaft people quite royally, and pocket a good chunk of change.

Yeah, that I can get for sure. 

That sort of thing seems to be increasingly common in the games industry. 

Misheru
3 hours ago, RetroKanojo said:

I know nothing about FFXIV or Y'shtola, but this looks absolutely adorable. @onion26@

Thank you so much! I did wish to unpack her whole outfit, ears and wig until nubby got his so she got my rendition of her which I prefer. Hehe. I appreciate it very much.

• Like 1

Misheru
7 hours ago, BeyondTime said:.

“……

She's really cute, and the cat eared cap is a great touch.”

I totally understand what you are saying. I have collected DDs for more than 13 yrs. At the same time, I understand my husband’s frustration and the “guilt” of getting mine first.  As for air cost, of course it would be more than sea cost but Volks should look into a freight deal with FedEx since they send planes out with cargo everyday regardless of the fill capacity. It would be far less than you think. It cannot be good for vinyl dolls to spend months at sea and then sometimes longer in dock if there is a strike in the heat. I have often wondered if this has lead to some of the cracking issues in the past. 

Anyway…Thanks for the compliment on her. I wanted to keep her ears in one way or another and did not want to pull out all of the doll wardrobe boxes, so I just grabbed what was easy to hand and it turned out okay for now. I will admit that I built the outfit around the hat. :)

Edited by Misheru

BeyondTime
5 hours ago, Misheru said:

At the same time, I understand my husband’s frustration and the “guilt” of getting mine first.

Yeah, that I totally get. I can get him being upset, especially after paying a premium. 

It would be far less than you think.

By volume though it has to be enough that they can do it at a profit, or they wouldn't do it. In the grand scheme of things, in order to make their commitments they might fly some of their fleet at a loss, but over each fiscal quarter they fly at a profit or they'd change their model. 

An estimate for a consumer price for box that size and weight would be more than $300, but of course Volks would pay a bulk rate. Even the FedEx Pak rate was more than $300 from the US to Tokyo. DHL quotes over $400 but allowed custom sizes. 

I will admit that I built the outfit around the hat.

Yeah mine probably has a kitty hat in her future now. XD

• Like 1

Hazukami

As someone that has bought 100 and some odd Square Enix pieces of merch.. I'm not surprised.
Square Enix NA will ALWAYS get everything last. Even later than some US retailers lmao
So I always do my best to order from literally anywhere else.
Unfortunately SENA was cheaper than Volks US and I didn't know about Volks Global,
she was my first DD I bought and the last to arrive lol

As for the pricing.. it was less to buy from Volks Global, but only due to the yen exchange and even then the difference might've been some 80usd.
Still, 80usd less and you get Y'shtola in a few days. So I 100% get the frustration.

As others mentioned, Volks keeps to their schedules, Square..?? EEEHHH yeah, no.
Even their own Play Arts Kai line gets to them at dumb times, like 2 months AFTER other US retailers.
Unfortunately that's the way it is with Square :T

It's an unfortunate lesson to learn from Square, one that I learned myself.
With luck we'll get our Y'shtolas around the same time as Volks US/ a bit after ; u ;
if not then, we saved some money.

I wanted to add, I was really curious to know if Square would bypass the whole 
"order queue" and they just get all their orders in and send them out instatly
versus getting them 1-2 months later in waves. I have my answer now.
I was honestly 100% prepared to not see Y'shtola until Feb-March.
Dec+ 2 to 3 months boat shipping and then 2 weeks of sorting and dosmestic?
Adds up to me.

Edited by Hazukami

BeyondTime
44 minutes ago, Hazukami said:

As others mentioned, Volks keeps to their schedules

Volks has had a few schedules slip, but it took a few major typhoons to do it. Hence why I said it would take a catastrophe to make them deliver Y'shtola in 2023. XD

Conuresans

Adding in photos I got of mine that just came in from USA Today ☺️ Don’t quite have the time to change her into defaults yet (*may not, if so minimally as I kinda like her current look) so I got something on her for the time being. Also posted her with some of my other girls on my Insta but wanted to keep the focus on her here 😅

4A0BC884-C83A-418C-92E9-440F4A4C37A4.jpeg.60ad5d89b9fc1f687da486f3c190ad49.jpeg31D6B2CD-76DD-4DB9-92DF-DF16B768DFA9.jpeg.c4fb022e3ceda0d24f75dffcd52e19e5.jpeg

Edited by Conuresans
  • Like 7

Home: Melt (DDH-09), Kano (Iris Collect), Kirika, Y'Shtola, Suzune (Iris Collect Petite)

Subaru

image.png.1a3ce93c7b2108c7f9a74b06bc5d281b.png

quick pic. I am really happy with her default wig.
I don't have the energy to wrangle her default outfit at all so she's wearing something else for now.

I found that changing the position of her gaze helped w/ her looking closer to her character.

• Like 8

My wallet needs a vacation 💸
spacer.png
Blog Insta Ko-Fi Etsy

Poofiemus
9 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

Volks has had a few schedules slip, but it took a few major typhoons to do it. Hence why I said it would take a catastrophe to make them deliver Y'shtola in 2023. XD

Well there WAS the Saber pre-order in 2011, which got majorly delayed and caused a year-long DD body shortage lol. But I guess you could call that a metaphorical typhoon of orders. I don't think even the Miku preorder set them back the way that Saber Alter 2nd/Saber Extra preorder did. 

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

BeyondTime
27 minutes ago, Poofiemus said:

Well there WAS the Saber pre-order in 2011, which got majorly delayed and caused a year-long DD body shortage lol.

How long? It was before my time. 

di-chan123
3 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

It was back in September 2011, Saber Nero and saber Alter 2 were up for preorder, but Volks never stipulated how many one could purchase. The preorder closed by the end of October that year, with the expectation that they would ship by January/February 2012. Due to the popularity of Saber, *MANY* people preordered them. Volks must have been overwhelmed with orders for this girls. Body production became very limited, to the point were base bodies were going for almost double the price on yahoo auctions. The dolls did eventually ship, about 4/5 months after the expected date. 

I feel that with this incident, Volks began holding longer preorder periods and limiting the amount people could order.  

ragnamuffin
3 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

You could say it was beyond your time… I’ll see myself out…

• Haha 5

finnleo
5 hours ago, Poofiemus said:

Well there WAS the Saber pre-order in 2011, which got majorly delayed and caused a year-long DD body shortage

2011 also had the march tsunami, which may, or may not had an effect on things, I seem to faintly recall discussion about one or some of volks' production facility getting damaged. nero and alter were also on DD3 frames which was fairly new so that might have been a thing also.

The march dolpa after event was delayed by only a week or so ... made getting beatrice that more memorable.