Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

BeyondTime

2021 DD Pre-order Project - FFXIV Y'shtola

Hazukami

Saw some photos on twitter, love the box! I'm not posting it in case it spoils the fun for some..
Seems like no bodysuit and her tattoo is already on her and doesn't need to be applied just like the face marks
so that makes sense.. the inside also seems to be mostly lined. She's very lovely.~

I mainly wanted to know if she came with a suit or not before buying one x'D
Kinda sad I have to wait a bit longer but it's also fine, I still need to clean and organize the area
I'll display her in and wait for stand restocks, 9S and Anthy took her stand aosdjuoasjd

Edited by Hazukami
  • Like 2

Emil

That box is stunning, I really hope they do more FFXIV dolls despite the absolutely horrific response from the general player base.

Y'shtola definitely looks more like the product photos than 2B/9S did, which was a lot of why I didn't preorder her personally... 👀 eager to see her show up secondhand already 

• Like 2

MagnoliaCamellia AmaryllisCarnationHyacinth Bluebell | Alyssum ClematisEmilia Dahlia | Gardenia Hydrangea

~ Florens Academy of Witchcraft ~

BeyondTime
8 hours ago, Emil said:

I really hope they do more FFXIV dolls despite the absolutely horrific response from the general player base.

I'm going to guess she sold like hotcakes. These aren't mass produced Elsa dolls that are expected to move millions of units over the product lifetime, and all Volks really expected was a few thousand orders. I'll lay odds that she was a successful pre-order project. 

There will always be some backlash with introducing a hobby like this into a different hobby space, and parts of the gaming community can be really toxic. I'd expect Volks to rise above all that. The uncanny valley aspect doesn't help, but hell if I'm not seriously considering swapping out her eyes with a pre-clouded Y'shtola cat's eye. XD

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

finnleo
21 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

I'm going to guess she sold like hotcakes.

The lack of a included in game exlusive minion probably diminished sales.

But the doll did pop up again in the main FFXIV reddit a few days ago, and what was posted in that thread by then 90% was negative.

Edited by finnleo
  • Sad 2

BeyondTime
3 hours ago, finnleo said:

But the doll did pop up again in the main FFXIV reddit a few days ago, and what was posted in that thread by then 90% was negative.

The real question is what percentage of the game's fanbase does that 90% represent? I tend to find its negative opinions that are most likely to find their way onto public forums, and people who are "meh, I'm neutral on this," aren't spending time writing walls of text about the subject. We could be talking 1% of the actual fanbase throwing tantrums about a doll I'm guessing most of them can't even afford. There is also something to be said for toxicity making it harder for people who like something to speak up. 

Idk either way how people felt about her, but I would like to see some actual statistics, like a customer poll done by SE. 

I did see some comments on Reddit about how she didn't look enough like Y'shtola, and of course the uncanny valley aspects. I did find her milky eyes off-putting, but I don't actually play XIV, and I only know character art from early in the game's development. I'm so out of date on that one I see her as a Mithra...

I'd be curious how Japanese fans reacted too. At the end of the day, if US/EU fans are the only ones sayin "Eeew!", I don't think Volks or SE will see it at as anything other than westerners being rude brats. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

finnleo
16 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

The real question is what percentage of the game's fanbase does that 90% represent?

Probably somewhere around 50/50 , that recent thread didnt quite launch off as the first impression stuff did a year ago.

16 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

I don't actually play XIV, and I only know character art from early in the game's development. I'm so out of date on that one I see her as a Mithra...

Just actually recently did a check which gave me a bit of a fright, clocking in at around 160 days in the game on all my alts, most of which on my Miqo (145d), and as someone in the doll hobby I didnt preorder. And I adore the character (apparently the #1 waifu in the game more or less ... even asmongold approoved if I've understood correctly)

I dont know how far do I want to pick it apart, because reasons, but to me, 'shtola was just not there. But the easiest gripe probably would be that at this price point ... Plastic ears... really?

Edited by finnleo

Emil
3 hours ago, finnleo said:

Agreeing with both of these. If she actually had a limited code of some sort, I wouldn't be waiting to buy her secondhand.

r/FFXIV is a rather vocal minority in several aspects I'd think, as much of reddit is. Just look at the number of people who think it isn't griefing to do [thing that is obviously griefing] constantly. 

22 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

I'd be curious how Japanese fans reacted too. At the end of the day, if US/EU fans are the only ones sayin "Eeew!", I don't think Volks or SE will see it at as anything other than westerners being rude brats. 

My hope is that enough JP fans got her to sway the awful response from EU/NA. It's important to note that from player-gathered data, North America is the most populated of the game's regions, with Japan second, EU third and Oceania having a population of less than a singular NA server. (If someone actually wants the graphs and stats I can edit this and go find them for you, it's kinda nuts tbh)

I'm over 10k hours in-game now but I'm more of an Au Ra fan.... Y'shtola is still a good waifu though, I think if I had seen some of the Endwalker cutscenes with her interacting directly with WoL I would've been tempted to get her 😅 alas, the preorder deadline was not my friend. (didn't help that I dropped a lot on one of the more expensive dream choice proxies right before Shtola was announced lol)

• Like 1

MagnoliaCamellia AmaryllisCarnationHyacinth Bluebell | Alyssum ClematisEmilia Dahlia | Gardenia Hydrangea

~ Florens Academy of Witchcraft ~

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, finnleo said:

but to me, 'shtola was just not there.

She looked like her to me, but I'm not invested the way players would be. 

1 hour ago, finnleo said:

Plastic ears... really?

I can see that being a gripe, but I'd counter with her head has no ears except those, so they kind of have to last as long as the doll itself. I don't think you could do that with pleather and faux fur.

• Like 1

Oculae

I'll admit I'm kicking myself a bit that I didn't get her when I could. She seems like she'd be fun to dress up in alt outfits!

Maybe someone will hate her when she shows up so I get another chance at her. 😆

I think she looks like a softer, kinder 'Shtola, which I really dig, and the plastic ears were actually a major selling point for me - considering they're her only ears, I much prefer those to something with faux fur, or even an extension of her wig like I've seen some folks with G'raha customs do. These are much more durable!

tumblr_o9govtKpFv1v9twgko1_400.gif.eae368d3c0bfc2a75087167170705ec2.gifPlease ping me when replying!

BeyondTime
2 hours ago, Oculae said:

Maybe someone will hate her when she shows up so I get another chance at her. 😆

If you're in North America, I would expect Volks USA will sell any extras at some point.

finnleo
8 hours ago, Emil said:

r/FFXIV is a rather vocal minority in several aspects

the reddit thing needs to be taken with a fairly big dose of salt as usual (Although Salt is provided on many a post by default), but I somehow remember the live letter comment section going a bit nuts over the price, etc. But we shall see I suppose.

7 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

She looked like her to me, but I'm not invested the way players would be. 

3 hours ago, Oculae said:

I think she looks like a softer, kinder 'Shtola,

There is this recent patch scene where the look works ... where 'shtola revisits her dark period of wanting to be a magical girl. while as a comedic side step its fairly hilarious, its still the problem for me I guess, she needs to be more Wednesday Addams ready to bust your ass if you step out of line, not Usagi Tsukino. Again personal preference if I am buying her as a character figure, and not just a doll.

7 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

they kind of have to last as long as the doll itself. I don't think you could do that with pleather and faux fur.

3 hours ago, Oculae said:

These are much more durable!

Cant argue the durability, although at the same time, the fluffy ears that my mashiro (Which look great) and millhiore ears (which dont look so great) are still alive and well after being on display, the only worry being the plastic ribbon on the millhiore set, but magnets will probably solve that in time.

but again, if it was just the ears. I vividly remember being all excited when an aquintance off the yanqui servers mentioned the doll, but once I saw it I was fairly dissapointed.

but I dont want to pick it apart any further from my perspective, since people are excited to get theirs, and I dont want to take away from that.

• Like 3

Hazukami
18 hours ago, finnleo said:

NGL the FFXIV reddit seems to downvote a lot, it's like they're taking all that accumulated toxicity they can't have ingame due to "jail" time out on the reddit lol
I was thinking I would've loved a minion too but we already have one for that outfit, maybe a housing item of the doll like the boss ones we have like Sophia or emote would've been nice.. I'm actually more surprised there was NO code, but was probably due to the backlash they might've gotten?

---------------
Unrelated side note, sometimes I do get spooped by my 9S lol So I understand the uncanny valley thing a bit.
Since he doesn't look as anime, when I pass by and pet his head or tap his open hand with my finger
I think for a second he's either gonna bite my finger while petting or hold/grab onto my finger when I tap his hand x'D
he just seems like he could come to life at any moment. I don't regret owning him at all, but yeah.. it only happens when I get super close
and stare at his eyes and touch him. 

Edited by Hazukami

finnleo
8 minutes ago, Hazukami said:

I'm actually more surprised there was NO code, but was probably due to the backlash they might've gotten?

The mentioning of the code was a bit of a multilayer jab at almost every physical sale item having a code for something of the sorts in game, but as far as I know neither did the collab Fender stratocaster have a code to go with it, and that was 3500$ (yet you can still just go to the gold saucer to buy a wall-hanger of it for your in game house/apartment). But also the lack of code meant that the hardcore in game completionists didnt have a reason to buy either.

and also the reddit thing was also meant as a bit of a joke to begin with, since the r/FFXIV and the subsequent subreddits are quite the zoo ... especially TFDF. but worth the occasional amusement, and kayo's fashion week reports and now island sanctuary tips.

Hazukami
14 minutes ago, finnleo said:

I found a FFXIV reddit post about G'raha and he didn't get negativity so that's interesting.. I also wanted to add that the magical girl bit actually did the opposite for me, it made me feel like it was worth it to get 'shtola's DD even more/appreciate her personality even more, but I can understand it was different from her usual character and not everyone liked it.

Yeaaah the guitar doesn't have a code either.. not all plushes do as well, I bought the cait sith plush just for those ingame ears+crown as well lol

Spoiler

finnleo
44 minutes ago, Hazukami said:

G'raha and he didn't get negativity so that's interesting.

Just up front Im going to be comedic about this, just to clarify. -- Im willing to bet good money that G'raha appeals to a different demographic?

And then perhaps the DIY custom build, versus official goods perspective. Not in any way or form intended to diminish anyone's efforts but its easier to dismiss or not give attention to someones personal projects than what is up on the official store pages for a set ammount of time.

44 minutes ago, Hazukami said:

I also wanted to add that the magical girl bit actually did the opposite for me

Just to clarify a bit on my previous statement, that scene was brilliant character building, since you find out that 'shtola is a girl after all, and hasnt always been a bit of a hardass, the same goes when you find her sleeping in the library like a slob ... but at the same time the lead up to that scene, and what happens afterwards if you choose the Y'shota specific dialogues, you should know what Im on about the doll needing to perhaps have a bit more serious aura to it.

Spoiler

"Yes mother -- Keep that up, and I'll put you over my knea."

"As long as you dont make me do any more chores -- Keep that up and I'll send you to bed without supper."

"I wasnt going to touch it, but Y'shtola... -- *murderous side glance* After this, we will have words."

"Foam and Froth!" -- You want to go in with the nixies? I can make you smaller, you know?" (The murderous tone ... my word)

and best of all: "Little Sun"

Edited by finnleo
  • Like 1

Roxanne

I received the shipping notice a couple of days ago as well! I'm so excited for her to come home. Definitely a great way to start 2023! 🥰

• Like 1

My instagram! 

BeyondTime
7 hours ago, finnleo said:

Just to clarify a bit on my previous statement, that scene was brilliant character building, since you find out that 'shtola is a girl after all, and hasnt always been a bit of a hardass, the same goes when you find her sleeping in the library like a slob

Do you have tape? 😄

finnleo
55 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

tape

They were quite meme-worthy stuff, so there was clips on the tubes ...

Obvious (?) spoilers from 6.0 and 6.1 so fairly recent stuff:

Spoiler

Also different WOL character in the clips, so something keep in mind

Finding her in the library: (More of a she's got her limits too thing, recalled a bit more slobbyness than actually was, but it was a year ago and so far only seen it once)

Lead-up to Sailor Black:

Introducing Sailor black:  -- also watch to the end for more snappy replies:

As a side note, the kid is a millenia old dragon, who's just "What did I just witness?", also If im not totally mistaken its amusing that in japanese Estiniens response is close to "Did she eat something bad?"

• Thanks 1

Beani
3 hours ago, Singer Yuna said:

Definitely I hate volks' wigs

Y'stola zoom on no human ears

That person switched the wig. Though why I have no clue. Her default wig looks pretty good in other shots. Not as thin as Volks wigs usually get hopefully.

There’s been a Y’shtola in my house since the 31st but still boxed. Hoping to see her dressed soon as the pics on Twitter look pretty impressive overall. 

Riesz

I'm sooooo excited for my waifu to arrive! End of January can't come soon enough 😭

I'm not a fan of the plastic ears personally, so I've had furry ears and tail sitting here for a long while waiting for her... ugghhhh I can't wait to finally dress her up with all the stuff I've had sitting here!

Edited by Riesz
  • Like 3

Singer Yuna
10 hours ago, Beani said:

That person switched the wig.

Yokatta~~ I hope the original wig is close to the prototype 

• Like 1

image.png.cbc1e19648277386a02b21f041664ca5.png

Bellatrix

I wonder how the earless head looks like. I got her to customise, but this actually scares me. 
Has there been published any related shots yet?

df64a03a777dc9f9a060ef6b286773b3-1.gif    ✩ 𝓥𝓲𝓬𝓽𝓲𝓶 𝓸𝓯 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓑𝓮𝓵𝓵𝓪𝓭𝓸𝔁 ✩