Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

OccultBeast

DDdy Yor Forger

Beani
16 hours ago, finnleo said:

There is the white album Rina's everyday set thats sort of there but not quite, fluffy collar and sleeve ends, and is split at the middle.

EDIT: and also after closer inspection its indicated for an M-bust, so a non-starter that way too unfortunately.

Got excited there for a moment but the M-bust kills it. The thing I like most about that outfit though is the clean lines, so the fluff would ruin that aspect. 

6 hours ago, Xiongmao said:

One thing I haven't seen appear for sale is Yor's red dress outfit. I'm not a huge fan of it, but it's very iconic, and Towa definitely has her eye on it!

Quite a few of those have sold, going for all the way up to 30,000 yen (lowest was 21,000 yen). Painful, so I'm glad I could snag one without having to pay those prices... Arc's one was even crazier reaching almost 50,000 yen at the high end... but then it also costs much more to begin with. Hard to know what the prices will do once the new stock hits the market.

finnleo
4 hours ago, Beani said:

Arc's one was even crazier reaching almost 50,000 yen at the high end... but then it also costs much more to begin with. Hard to know what the prices will do once the new stock hits the market.

One perticular thing with the two outfit sets, is that they are pretty much a cosplay set with the wigs included, so if the doll for whatever reason didnt fancy you or couldnt get it you could make your own custom. Arc's set is probably more desirable because its Ultimate-Arc that most type-moon fans will pay for.

And now I have flashbacks when original Blue saber was released and went for about 240k yen after the first wave, though settled down to a more reasonable ~100k point after the after event wave.

But since YJA blocked EU ip-adresses cant really follow trends these days. without shinenigans.

Edited by finnleo
  • Like 1

Xiongmao

I pushed the button on Yor. She's now showing as sold out so hopefully the order will go through OK. I can see her going a lot higher in future, and she'll almost certainly do better than my stock portfolio (😭).

Her alternative outfit will now be the #1 item on my want list. I'm resigned to having to pay a lot for it, but then I've just paid a lot for a certain Vocaloid's rare outfit. In the meantime she'll be able to wear Towa's wardrobe. I'm really excited she's getting a twin sister.

I did fancy getting Arcueid but she's hot property and they've all disappeared now. Maybe I'll wait for her reboot 😁. Instead I bought a Dollfie book, but that's only 350 JPY 😂.

Now I'm going to dread my Mandarake email alerts being triggered for a few months. Fortunately they're mostly set up for outfits, and they're generally so rare they probably won't appear for a long time.

Xiongmao-Signature-Vinyl-Dolls-December-2023.jpg.092aa55b9a3c11160633f60ad1610e7c.jpg 

My Dollfie doll family 😊.

BeyondTime
2 hours ago, Xiongmao said:

I did fancy getting Arcueid but she's hot property and they've all disappeared now.

If you mean on YJA, are you searching using アルクェイド・ブリュンスタッド ?

I still see the same listings as yesterday, minus the two that were at ¥95,000.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Xiongmao
32 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

If you mean on YJA, are you searching using アルクェイド・ブリュンスタッド ?

I still see the same listings as yesterday, minus the two that were at ¥95,000.

I was just searching for "dollfie" (in English). This is via Buyee.

I don't know if she got sold but there was an Arcueid with her other outfit that was quite a nice bundle.

I shouldn't be looking really... I need to save room in case there's a 20th anniversary special coming later this year, plus Kaito will be coming at some point. Then there's the Len dilemma. I also want Marisa's sidekick but I'm in no hurry for her. And of course we all live in hope of Anya news.

Xiongmao-Signature-Vinyl-Dolls-December-2023.jpg.092aa55b9a3c11160633f60ad1610e7c.jpg 

BeyondTime
35 minutes ago, Xiongmao said:

I don't know if she got sold but there was an Arcueid with her other outfit that was quite a nice bundle.

It looks like the bundles sold, and yeah around $1100 for dolls plus her outfit was a good deal. 

I use Buyee, but I use Japanese text copied from the character pages on Volks Japan or Wikipedia. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

BeyondTime
14 hours ago, finnleo said:

One perticular thing with the two outfit sets, is that they are pretty much a cosplay set with the wigs included

If you look at the photo of all the items each set comes with, it looks like all they did was swap the clothing and accessories and leave the wig in place.

Ok, so pet peeve here, they double up Yor's wig, but couldn't give Sailor Moon et al. a pair of panties with their school uniforms >.>;

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Xiongmao

My Yor is confirmed. Towa's spare wig has also suddenly arrived at the Buyee warehouse. I might make twin DDdy sisters.

And yes there are too many outfits that don't come with panties these days 😪.

• Like 2

BeyondTime
2 hours ago, Xiongmao said:

And yes there are too many outfits that don't come with panties these days

With 4 of the Sailor Moon girls their skirts are long enough for them to get away with going commando, but Rei's is a micro-miniskirt. She really needed to come with underwear. XD

• Sad 1

Xiongmao

Yor arrived early. Let's hope the next season of Spy x Family arrives early too 😁.

I'm so delighted Fedex surprised me on my birthday. I'm also blown away by how gorgeous she is! I can see her becoming seriously sought after in the future, unless she's rebooted, or being DDdy puts people off.

I do love that Volks made her a DDdy. I'm also loving her semi-white vinyl, almost to the point when I have now realised I prefer it over regular flesh. I definitely need to rethink my future acquisition plans.

It's a bit rushed today because of my birthday, and also because we thought she would arrive on Monday. I've not unpacked any of her things, but this Cotindoll wig looks pretty good on her.

She's wearing our DDdy psychiatrist outfit, because honestly with everything that's been going on lately, that's what we need in this house.

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

ragnamuffin
1 hour ago, Xiongmao said:

I'm so delighted Fedex surprised me on my birthday.

Happy birthday! 🎂 

• Like 1

Tierparkzone
1 hour ago, Xiongmao said:

Yor arrived early. Let's hope the next season of Spy x Family arrives early too 😁.

I'm so delighted Fedex surprised me on my birthday.

Indeed, happy birthday!
I guess, Yor is the best birthday surprise you could ask for. She is cuter than she has any right to be.

• Like 1

Stupid_Hoomun

What an awesome birthday present, she is lovely. Hoping you have a great day.

• Like 1

RetroKanojo

Happy birthday! Looks like Yor really didn't want to miss the party! You're right, she looks great! @onion24@

• Like 1

Xiongmao

In case anybody wants to know what Yor Forger looks like compared with standard Dynamite model Towa - here are my two "Towas".

Both are wearing the Towa standard wig. I adore both my Dynamites 🥰.

spacer.png

• Like 6

RavenWiccan

I love my Yor. My husband got her for me for my birthday! I’ve entered the lottery for her casual outfit and am anxiously waiting to hear about that! 😬

313C7

Just paid for my VolksUSA Yor lottery win! Sadly, did not win the casual outfit as well.

• Like 3

RavenWiccan
41 minutes ago, 313C7 said:

Just paid for my VolksUSA Yor lottery win! Sadly, did not win the casual outfit as well.

I already got my Yor but I entered for the casual outfit. No email so I guess I didn’t get it either. 😕 Hopefully it won’t be too crazy on the second hand market.

finnleo

Directed it here from the confessions thread to keep things more on topic.

18 minutes ago, puxlavoix said:
1 hour ago, finnleo said:

Apart from mash and rem, you have the red eye's to go with, which takes away maybe 30% of uniqueness. In general Id argue the Sakura Shinguji head was similar in general shape and form even before.

I'm there with you in both. I wonder why that is? Sakura could well be among them if she was newer. Seems like they're really going for the same face shape lately? I know Volks has a history of hit and miss when it comes to character likeness but in the case of Yor is almost as if they had to make her cheeks so prominent for whatever reason.

Yor seems to be engineered to be similar after the fact, since user photos started popping up I've noticed the features of her mouth that make me think that she was originally like Sinon, but they just painted a smile instead of a frump.

Can't believe nobody else has noticed or mentioned this. Its fairly notorious once you see it, i believe you might actually be right! there's no reason for her lip commissure line to be that shape, or to be there to begin with. Very,  very odd.

Still have to see in person if its enough to be a deal breaker.

I see your point. Highly doubt I'll see one in person but based on the ones I've seen it's a pass for me.

Yor's cheeks do make some sense if compared to Tatsuya Endou's original artwork. The anime is true to source, but does go a bit slapstick because plot reasons.

As for the running continuation of similarities, I havent checked jadepixels big list of head numbers that what releases are numerical neighbours to another, but I have a theory that some heads might have been minor evolution steps to some other character, and been dismissed for whatever reason, and then brought back as another character, standard model head or optional head.

And as for Yor getting a smile instead of a frump as a editorial measure, its fairly simple. The casual outfit. You can get away with Yor smiling in her assassins gown (since there is even official Endou cover artwork with this angle), but you couldnt have her in battle mode in the casual outfit. So if the casual outfit was brought in as an option along the development line of the main doll release that could explain it.

Its a small detail, but it has been bugging me a bit, but march is getting closer, so will see soon enough.

But its only paint, which can be redone.

• Like 2

BeyondTime
5 hours ago, finnleo said:

You can get away with Yor smiling in her assassins gown (since there is even official Endou cover artwork with this angle), but you couldnt have her in battle mode in the casual outfit. So if the casual outfit was brought in as an option along the development line of the main doll release that could explain it.

If you're going by the anime, and I haven't read the manga, I would say sweater dress Yor is pretty much default Yor and Assassin outfit is more like the special dress option. IMO, the anime doesn't give us enough Yor perspective; to the point that she feels a bit underdeveloped when compared to her potential as a character. For Volks, not releasing the sweater dress was never a good an option, so Yor had to be housewife Yor, and not I-bathe-in-the-blood-of-others Yor. 

finnleo
27 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

default Yor

It sort of depends on what the endgame for the series is going to be, is it already something thats waiting at the end to come around, or is the series just open ended and intentionally leaves stuff up to imagination, and just makes funnies as it goes along, the tennis ball gag and drunken highkick were superb.

The most similar comparison for Yor I could think of from the top of my head is Jean Reno's character in Leon (or The Professional, depending on where you live), so what is more make belief in the character, the person trying to play family, or the assassin within thats probably going to have the past catch up one way or another. Interestingly enough Buddy Daddies is already in this catch up stage.

Its undeniable that goofy clutzy sweater Yor gets more screen time, but that doesent necessarily mean that it is the core of the character (Think Angelina Jolie in Salt, where the ending is a little unexpected .. or so I recall, could be wrong only watched it once). The thing is also the matter of viewpoint as you mentioned, so far we get more Loyd antics than Yor, but that doesent mean Yor doesent do work the same as Loyd, we just dont see it, only really reminded of it in the series intros.

There is this charming illustration by the manga creator Tatsuya Endou that sums it up rather well:

(spoiler for .. well.. improper use of icepicks)

Spoiler

52710263246_97b98d3798_b.jpg

(also rather improbably furniture leg designs...)

But as far as my preferences go, I like the concept of the monster in the closet, the extreme bipolarness, so the assassin outfit to me is more core Yor.

And now circling back to the doll release, I note a design feature thats been painted over, and the only reason for it I can think of is the sweater. Like it or not.

But as mentioned is it a deal breaker for me personally I'll eventually find out, but that doesent necessarily mean it has to be that for everyone.

BeyondTime
22 hours ago, finnleo said:

It sort of depends on what the endgame for the series is going to be

I have my own thoughts on where it's going, but if I'm right, it's probably a bit too predictable for a really stellar show. I think this show wants to be better than that. 

but that doesent mean Yor doesent do work the same as Loyd, we just dont see it

It's hinted at a few times, so yes it's clear she works, but for me the disappointment is way too much Anya at school, and a skewed balance between Loid story and Yor story. Yor is a main who feels too much like a comedic sidekick at times. Granted when Yor goes full battle-wife mode, she overpowers every other character on screen with those short bursts of action. Loid is the knife slipping between the ribs, and Yor is like getting hit with a shot from a Snipex Alligator. 

Once again anime shows us how the most dangerous person in the world is a teenage girl with abandonment issues. 

You could build an anime around the Thorn Princess, which is probably why I have a hard time with Yor not getting more focus, even though I know if she did the other characters would be overshadowed. The lack of focus on Yor's job also makes her bursts more dramatic, so from an artistic point of view I get it, but the absence of Yor story is still palpable. 

Anya is a show stealer for sure, so I get the focus on her, but for me I've just never been much into shows about little kids in grade school. She's much more likable than Chibi-Usa, but her story arcs while necessary to the plot, just aren't my cuppa. I much prefer the scenes with Anya interacting with Yor and Loid.

But as far as my preferences go, I like the concept of the monster in the closet, the extreme bipolarness, so the assassin outfit to me is more core Yor.

Yor's assassin gig is ostensibly her main thing, but I am pretty sure that Yor the housewife is the secret desire in her heart. The maternal side that raised Yuri and wanted so much for him that she compromised who she was and became a killer in order to provide for him. That same maternal side that now protects Anya, that's the real Yor IMO.

Totally agree that the manga / anime could completely subvert the trope if it wants to.

the tennis ball gag

The entire tennis arc is one of the funniest moments in anime, but that last gag was the punchline to a well setup joke.  

But as mentioned is it a deal breaker for me personally I'll eventually find out, but that doesent necessarily mean it has to be that for everyone.

I'll take some profile shots and post them.  

BeyondTime
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Beani

Yor and her casual outfit will start shipping out from Volks International from March 18th! Can’t wait! 

• Like 2