The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

GothicSkies

Tips on joining while still keeping some money in your pocket?

GothicSkies

Holy heck I'm on this site again, anyways, I am a teenage artist on social media who became very much in love with Mini Dollfie Dream Dolls, and want to join in on having my own Mini Dollfie Dream, however i am kind of just trying to figure out a good way to save money on said doll (For my parents wallet and sanity lol) (I need to start my commissions but I'm a coward)

So, theres one thing thats prob not gonna end up changing, the price for the head and body.. The head varies with the price cause of detail, materials used ect.. so im planning to just get a base head and paint my own head (Plus to be a lil more like the Dollfie photographer i admire greatly) and body.. well.. is straight up the most expensive piece lol

However.. what are some ways i could save money on say.. materials for painting the face and head, outfits, wigs, ect. ect.

Again, im mainly asking not just for me, but for my parents too since at this time.. I don't make money (Again should start commissions to hecking help)

Any extra tips on Mini Dollfie dreams in general is very much appreciated cause although i know a little on MDD, I don't really know much at all on care and such.. (Closest thing i got is a flipping Monster High Draculaura doll lol)

But yeah, ANYTHING to help with saving money on this soon to be new hobby would be great, yes, you can also link people or sellers that are good for a budget as well.. This is not just for the wallet.. but also for my parents sanity too lol.

Please don't say anything on needing to have good money to have such hobby.. I just really like the dolls, they are precious and gorgeous, and want to have my own lil one too. ^w^'

Edited by GothicSkies

frollywoggy

Welcome back to the forum! As someone who started this hobby with a very low income (and still have a low income lol), I have a few tips and tricks I've picked up over the years!

My first tip is to make Dollfie Dream purchases through Volks JP, since when the yen to usd exchange rate is good, you can get everything you need for a lower price. Volks JP is available no matter where you live too!

Second tip: Set aside a certain percentage of all your earnings (when you start commissions or take other jobs to earn money) to put into a "doll fund". This is how I was able to save up for my first doll as I put 20% of all my earnings into my doll fund. This will help you save at a faster rate while still having money to spend on other things as well! I don't know your situation, so this may not be possible for you which is ok! all of these tips are just things that helped me personally.

Third tip: Ask for doll things as gifts. Pick some doll supplies (preferably lower cost to save your friend's and family's wallets haha) and put those on your wish list for holidays and birthdays. I was given some beautiful MDD clothes as a gift from my wonderful parents, which I would not have been able to afford at the time. 

Fourth tip: Crafting is a great money-saving skill! Of course, you'll still need to pay for the supplies to make the things (unless you already have them laying around the house), but paying for supplies will still be cheaper than buying the thing from a shop. I taught myself how to sew in order to make my own doll clothes, which has saved me a lot of money. Figure out what you want to make and what you're willing to buy.

Fifth tip: If you're worried about body prices, check the second-hand market. You can often find doll bodies for sale (especially MDD since they're so popular!) and if you're willing to put up with stain treatment, you could probably find a stained body at a lower price!

Sixth tip: My parents have helped me pay for dolls more than once before, especially in the case of preorder dolls that were in limited supply. Talk to your parents about helping you buy the doll (something that it sounds like you've already at least started to work out from what you said in your post!) and how much they'll be willing to contribute, if they are willing to help out. You could even ask for money to put towards buying a doll as a birthday gift if that is something you think your parents would be ok with. Once again, this may not work for you and your situation which is ok!

There's no need to have a bunch of money in order to enjoy this hobby! It just takes a bit of saving and crafting to get a doll with a low income, but it is very doable! If you want some more advice on the care and keeping of MDDs, I recommend looking around the forum for threads on that topic! Here's one which I found helpful before getting my first doll.

What do you wish you knew before getting your first DD? - General Discussions - DollDreaming

Good luck with buying your first doll, it's both a bit stressful and super fun!

Edited by Frollywoggy
Spelling errors
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"And after the artist has been long gone, turned to dust, the art remains." -Spiritfarer

GothicSkies

@Frollywoggy

The first tip i genuinely did not know about, thanks for that.

Second tip i will keep in mind when i finally start earning my own money lol.

Third tip i was already trying to do but ended up with nothing yet, I am trying to do it again with Christmas incoming (And Birthday not long after) so we will see what happens.

Fourth Tip is gonna be a bit iffy.. clothing is probably gonna end up as a no go for me.. albeit i might make a crappy cloak to cover her while she has no clothing (While i try to get some clothes for the gal) BUT thats def what ima do with the face, since im a digital artist, i will end up giving face painting a shot.. i already went ahead and made a rest drawing of sort, using a pic of the head i will end up using (DDH-27) both the official pic and one from this site to paint my face (Along with limiting some things like Liquifying, Transform tool, Symmetry tool ect.) to make it more like painting the actual head.

Fifth tip, My plan is the get the body from the original volks site.. (Partly to avoid getting some crappy knockoff lol) But if i have no choice, i will keep that in mind, and if i have to deal with stains, i will ask yall for advice on how to get rid of them.

Sixth tip was already in the works, my parents will try (KEY WORD TRY) to help gradually when we get leeway to actually get things we want..

Yeah.. i know it will be a challenge too.. 

Although ima need more tips if there is anymore i can get, i thank you greatly for the advice. as these dolls are adorable and or gorgeous and thus i really want them.. even if i know its gonna be heck to get them lol.

PS. the doll in your profile pic is adorable!

Edited by GothicSkies
Adding the person being replied to.

Roserolls

Hi, welcome back! @Frollywoggy's tips are really good, definitely recommend following them! Here are some tips from my experience:

1. Check out wigs and eyes on Taobao  agents or Aliexpress to see if there's any you like there before shelling out for more expensive brands. These sites have large selections and much lower prices (like $10-15 for a wig or pair of eyes), you just wanna make sure the review photos look accurate to the product listing. I've gotten $10-15 wigs from Amazon and Aliexpress that are wayyyyy softer and nicer than any I've had from Volks (plus they have light wig caps so they don't stain)

2. Check out secondhand bodies and heads from Mandarake and Dollyteria before buying straight from Volks. Currently there's A LOT of MDD f-3 bodies flooding these secondhand stores since the new 2.0 MDD body came out and people are upgrading, so as long as you're ok with the older model, they have great deals! (the old f-3 body can still use the replacement and option parts sold by volks I think, but the f-3 bodies are super sturdy and adjustable anyway so there shouldn't be too many secondhand ones that need repairs). Bootlegs and knockoffs are not common for vinyl dolls like they are for resin ones and these sites are very reputable and always check the authenticity of their goods. There are also really nice cheaper legit alternatives to MDDs now like Imomo dolls, so if you like an imomo body and an MDD head (or vice versa) you could always have a hybrid and save some money there.

3. I personally do not recommend spending more than like $10 for doll shoes (mayyyybe $15 for boots) since they disintegrate and get damaged soooo quickly! Doll shoes are not really a good investment imo.

4. I recommend starting out by buying some good basic pieces to build up your wardrobe (simple blouses/shirts, skirts/pants, plain black or white shoes that can go with anything, etc). Afterward, I would invest in whatever outfits that you REALLY like. When I started out I just bought some decently cute but cheap outfits, but I've since realized that I would prefer to have the nicer, more expensive outfits that I like touching and dressing my dolls up in, even if that means less clothes overall. Clothes are an area where the price can really reflect quality. (I originally planned to sew a bunch of their clothes, but I've discovered that I hate sewing and I'm bad at it lol. The only things that I still make are skirts and hats since they're easy and quick)

5. I recommend getting a stain suit if you plan to dress your doll in ANY dark color since vinyl stains so easily, as well as a magic eraser to help scrub off dirt and stains. Volks also makes a stain removing cream built for vinyl dolls that works pretty well and doesn't require a heat lamp or UV light like other methods, which can damage the doll's plastic over time. The Volks dream rescue cream just takes a lot of applications and patience.

6. Doll stores like Alice's Collections have frequent sales on clothes, shoes, and accessories, but the sale amount varies depending on the event/season/sales period. I like to wait until the clothes and shoes are at least 30% off before buying. I think Alice's usually does the really big sales around Chinese New Year which is coming up soon!

7. Be wary of buying clothes/accessories from Etsy, since they recently started allowing dropshippers/resellers to flood the site. A ton of the bjd clothes that are listed there as "handmade" are actually just reselling from Taobao and jacking up the prices. I've seen outfits that are like $15 on Taobao or $20 on Aliexpress being listed for $40-50 on Etsy, it's completely ridiculous! Same thing with the eyes and wigs. Some etsy stores that are actually handmade by the shop owner are: DollishSweets, PetiteBonita, MilkyWayDolls, and Toocuteclub (There's plenty more, these are just the ones I'm most familiar with).

Also since you're planning on doing faceups, you probably already know these tips, but I've seen a lot of new hobbyists damage their dolls (or even themselves!) because they didn't know one of these, so just in case:

1. Always use sealant before painting the face to prevent the materials from staining the plastic permanently (it also helps gives the base more of a "grip" so your chalk pastels/watercolor pencils will stick better). Also, it's recommended to paint in "layers" using sealant after each one so you can go back and fix mistakes without starting over, and always seal at the end. I recommend putting something like a box over your your doll's head after sealing to make sure any dirt/dust doesn't get stuck in the sealant while it's drying.

2. ALWAYS USE PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT IF USING AEROSOL SPRAY SEALANTS!!! You'll need gloves, an eye shield, and a good quality respirator with changeable filters. Use the spray on sealant outside away from anyone or anything that can be harmed. I cannot stress how important this is for artists that use aerosol sprays, since you do not want to inhale any of it! I remember an artist (I think on Den of Angels) used these sprays a lot for her commissions without using a proper respirator and ended up with a health problems in her lungs that were apparently similar to lung cancer, but without any known treatment available. Do not skimp when it comes to your safety and health!!!

3. Don't use any materials with oil in them, since it can damage the plastic, especially over time. I've seen people use human makeup, oil paints, and oil pastels on dolls before and it's just not a good idea.

I hope you're able to get the doll of your dreams soon! This forum is a great place to ask if you ever have a problem or issue with your dolls, so don't be scared to ask!💜

• Like 5

frollywoggy
1 hour ago, GothicSkies said:

@Frollywoggy

Fourth Tip is gonna be a bit iffy.. clothing is probably gonna end up as a no go for me.. albeit i might make a crappy cloak to cover her while she has no clothing (While i try to get some clothes for the gal) BUT thats def what ima do with the face, since im a digital artist, i will end up giving face painting a shot.. i already went ahead and made a rest drawing of sort, using a pic of the head i will end up using (DDH-27) both the official pic and one from this site to paint my face (Along with limiting some things like Liquifying, Transform tool, Symmetry tool ect.) to make it more like painting the actual head.

Fifth tip, My plan is the get the body from the original volks site.. (Partly to avoid getting some crappy knockoff lol) But if i have no choice, i will keep that in mind, and if i have to deal with stains, i will ask yall for advice on how to get rid of them.

Although ima need more tips if there is anymore i can get, i thank you greatly for the advice. as these dolls are adorable and or gorgeous and thus i really want them.. even if i know its gonna be heck to get them lol.

PS. the doll in your profile pic is adorable!

I totally understand, sewing isn't everyone's cup of tea! It drives me up the wall most of the time (I use an old and tempermental sewing machine), but for me it's just a good way to save money on clothes!

Like Roserolls said, I don't think knockoffs are at all common for vinyl dolls, but if you're ever concerned about a listing, feel free to ask around here and those who are experinced with secondhand buying can help verify authenticity and things like that.

The best way for you to get more tips is to root around the forum a bit and find some advice threads. Try looking through the "Questions & Anwsers" and "General Discussions" sections (make sure you're looking in the Dollfie Dream area).

Also I don't think it'll be heck or too tricky to get these dolls, even on a tight budget! it's super possible and simple, it just takes some time, that's all. the wait was the worst part for me since I was impatient lol. You've got this, and the forum will always be here to help anwser your questions and guide you through the process of getting your doll!

Also thank you, her name is Miu and she's one of my favorites 😊

Edited by Frollywoggy
  • Like 2

"And after the artist has been long gone, turned to dust, the art remains." -Spiritfarer

GothicSkies

Thanks, I do already see a couple outfits i am interested in getting, one expensive one ($100 bucks) the other outfits i bookmarked ima need to check again.. since i have not really gotten back into the dolls (Besides retweets and occasional drawings) until today actually... while writing my Christmas list.. i warned my Mother im back into the stuff now.. i will prob start simple with the eyes and make up tools, ima really need a fine liner tho lol.

Oh and here is a sort of mock up or test on the face up ima try to do, i kept it on the simple side with little shading for the sake of my sanity (Plus the doll i wanna recreate has this style lol.. besides the highlights on the eye lashes)

But yeah i will try to keep ya updated XD

Oh, and i kinda realized that Recasts are a thing.. cause a friend of mine found out their doll is a recast.. XP
spacer.png

Edited by GothicSkies

Monty

I will give you some alternative advice. If the money is such a barrier of entry, this might not be the right time to get a MDD (especially if it’s not your money but your parents). But this doesn’t mean you can’t have a cute anime doll.

You’re pretty lucky actually because right now there are more and more alternative companies that offer dolls with a similar look to MDD at a fraction of the price. If it’s MDD you have your heart set on, then you can only keep saving, but there are also brands like Tinyfox and Imomodoll you can check out.

Tinyfox offer complete dolls (with outfit, faceup and wig) for less than the price of the MDD body. Technically they are not vinyl dolls - they are a kind of hard plastic with a soft coating that mimics that feel of vinyl. They also have a slightly different internal structure that Tinyfox calls ‘MJD’ (mechanical joint doll) They release new dolls every month - there are ones similar to MDD size but also smaller ones (the little ones in particular are VERY cute, plus take up less space than a MDD so they can be addictive…(It’s a more affordable way to get a taste of the hobby - and the best part is the doll is ready to go without any any extra expense needed or time spent waiting to paint the head etc. (But they’re still just as customisable as a MDD - and if head painting is something you’re interested in, they sell blank heads too).

Theres a discussion thread here:

Even cheaper than Tinyfox are Imomodoll - their cheapness is reflected in their build quality unfortunately but they do have their following and the price point is very attractive. I think they’re true vinyl unlike Tinyfox, but their internal frame doesn’t seem to be as sophisticated as a MDD
There is a general discussion thread here:

and a specific thread for 1/4 scale (Ie the height of MDD) here:

Be aware of other ‘cheap’ anime dolls you may find on sites like aliexpress - brands like Icy Fortune and Dream Fairy are bootleg products. If you see a deal that seems too good to be true it may be for a reason, but you can always ask here if you’re unsure.

I would strongly suggest thoroughly researching Tinyfox and Imomodoll first (the linked threads are a good place to start)take note of the pros, cons, what you personally want out of a doll, and compare to MDD.

• Like 8

Tierparkzone

In my experience, the head sculpt and the faceup of a doll are the main factors that help you bond with it. So if you've set your mind on a specific sculpt, don't settle for anything else. - Take your time to save up, and then get the doll you want. If you want a DDH-27 on an MDD body, the good news is, (at least for the immediate future) they're not going anywhere.

After I seriously decided to get into the hobby, I saved up for half a year to afford the doll I wanted and bling her out a bit. (In the end I ended up with two dolls that I wanted and the blinging out had to wait for another couple months instead , but that's a different story...)

If you're able to do your own faceup, that will take off a huge chunk of the initial cost already. - Even if you have to get painting supplies. I only ever did one faceup at a guided workshop at Parabox, but unless you want to go for a very complex faceup right from the start, you shouldn't need too many resources for it.  We started by sketching out the faceup with aquarell pencils (we used Staedtler Karat but other brands are probably fine, too) (sealing the head beforehand may also be advisable). They are water soluble, so you can always use a wet q-tip for corrections. After we had our design finalized we painted over it with acrylic paint, but technically you can achieve a decent looking faceup just with three or four colors of watercolor pencils alone (and maybe a piece of red aquarell chalk for the blushing). It may not look as vibrant and may not last as long (even after sealing) but it should be a good way to try out designs and give your doll a cute face while you save up for more permanent paints.

For the body, I agree with some of the earlier posts. As the MDD f3 ver.2 has just come out, there's a good chance you can snag a second hand MDD f3 ver.1 for a decent price on sites like Mandarake or DollyTeria. - The stuff available there is legit and they're very upfront with any issues like stains or damages. But if you prefer a new body directly from Volks, that's fair too.

Edited by Tierparkzone
  • Like 7

roro_robot

Hello and welcome! I may not have the same expert knowledge as many others on this forum but I do have the insight as someone who was in a very similar position to you, having gained an interest in these dolls at the same age around 5-6 years ago. @onion20@ 

I think my biggest advice is to have patience and not be afraid of waiting for the right moment. Even though I have been admiring these dolls for many years I only got my first around a year ago and I’m so glad I waited that long. Deciding to wait for that one doll that was exactly what I wanted also allowed me to take the time to explore so many options, styles, companies and gain enough knowledge to decide on what I really wanted while my specific tastes developed, which I think is especially important to consider when you could often be spending quite a lot of money in this hobby.

From your previous posts it seems like you are interested in creating a custom doll and that is exciting! I am currently doing the same and it has been a very interesting and fun process to bring your own character to life in this way. Although I am enjoying this process I do think I would have found this a lot harder if I hadn’t gotten a full set/complete character doll first because as fun as creating your own is, it does involve a lot of trial and error which can be frustrating and if it was my first experience with a doll I don’t think I would have been as happy. But please don’t let this put you off, there are many less expensive options others have mentioned and everyone has a different experiences with this. 

TLDR don’t rush into anything and properly consider your options before investing in your doll, and luckily you are in the exact right place for that! The people here are lovely and there is a wealth of knowledge in all the discussion posts and Q&As here so please do take a look. Good luck and have fun <3

• Like 2

CeliathePikachu

You can get some outfits for MDD that are technically made for other dolls! Outfits for Wellie Wishers and Glitter Girls as well as their shoes fit MDD really well. In particular Glitter Girls outfits tend to be around 10-15 USD

• Like 1

Currently at home: Autumn (DD2 DDH-01), Sakura (MDD3 DDH-08), Haku (Mio Akiyama), Mashiro (Mashiro Mito), Kaito (Vocaloid KAITO)

Mashiro Mito is my wife and I love her!

Rajke

I fully agree with Tierparkzone about going for the sculpt you want. If you decided for a MDD with DDH-27 than I recommend going for that combination. Not that i want to put other brands that have been recommended in the shadows. But the bonding is important, especially when you are going to pose the doll for photo’s. Dolls were you have a better bond with are more easy to pose for photo’s. Sounds weird but I experienced that even with the same body some dolls are more easy to sculpt. 

There are already a lot of good tips given. I want to ad that knowing the tax rates of your country can work in your favor. Depending on the country were you live the rates for certain item types vary (doll itself, wig, eyes, outfit, shoes, accessories, juwelry). 

@onion20@   This is a signature.

Xiongmao

In the longer term get a good career going because that's how I've been able to buy my tribe. There are so many here now I've lost count.

Buyee (specifically Yahoo Japan Auctions) can often have amazing bargains. I picked up two MDD's a few months ago and both went for much less than their new Volks list prices. I know they're both fairly recent because one has the latest head and the other is Mochi-Ashi. The Mochi-Ashi had minor staining and the regular MDD has a weird faceup. She's semi-white though, which I didn't realise when I bought her.

Bargain outfits and accessories often appear on there too. Although it's for a regular DD I have an unopened Saber's Normal outfit (the one with the lion plushie). I also have Snow + Senbonzakura Miku wigs, Miku Miku glasses and even a Miku bodysuit. Just don't ask my girls how much we paid for Miku's Ribbon Girl outfit, or Yor Forger's cozy set 🥵.

Of course doll reselling is frowned upon here but you could potentially make some money by importing stuff from Japan along with your MDD stuff and reselling it. Figures are good for this but just be aware they can cost a lot to post because they often come in huge boxes. If I'd do it I would stick to the small noodle stoppers. Oh and some knowledge of written Japanese helps a lot. Also Mercari can be cheaper as sellers don't often charge domestic postage. You'll need Excel too or many backs of envelopes to do the math as import/export is quite complex (but also the biggest industry on the planet). For figures stick to A list franchises and most popular wifus (e.g. Fate, Rem/Ram, Miku). Also tap into trends, e.g. Kirika Towa Alma's collectibility is going to the moon. I can see anything Ribbon Girl related doing the same, and Macaroon Miku is a gorgeous little figure.

I had a phase of reselling Lego but I've been selling it all off lately.

Oh and if you want photo props, many Our Generation doll accessories are DD sized. I've never seen any bargains though as their second hand stuff is really popular. I think the travel set is the best. We have our eyes on the school set as it has a lot of DD sized stationery.

You could also try YouTube but it's brutally difficult in getting established. Some doll artists on there get a lot of views and publicity for their faceup businesses (e.g. Hemi's doll room).

Xiongmao-Signature-Vinyl-Dolls-December-2023.jpg.092aa55b9a3c11160633f60ad1610e7c.jpg 

My Dollfie doll family 😊.

GothicSkies

HOLY FRICK There was a lot of comments since i initially interacted with it XDD

First of all, thank you so much for aiding me, however now there has been some alterations to my plans.

My new aim is Tinyfox due to the smaller price.. mainly shown to me via seen one thats fully complete for $170 which is basically a godly price in comparison to MDD.. thus thats now gonna be my focus, i will eventually get my own MDD.. but thats the key word.. EVENTUALLY.

I will let yall know when my commissions air, cause i am planning to do so very soon.

But yeah, again, thank you ALL for the advice, ima especially take them into account when it comes to looking for outfits and wigs and the like for my new lil baby(ies)

I say a possible plural cause if things go right, i can actually end up with two in the span of a couple months cause i start commissions, thus im more motivated to start then i have ever been before.

Ah, and the drawing im working on to be my last before the commissions begin WILL actually be posted to the site cause it is a drawing based on the doll im looking at myself.

• Like 2