Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Nakitaninja

Fake Dollfie Dreams?!

Proctor of the Dawn

The issue of recasters aside, I believe from the technical aspect it is quite hard to recast vinyl due to the high level of technical proficiency required as well as the high cost of the raw materials..I suppose the only way recasters could earn money is to recast an extremely popular sculpt ( for e.g. Sasara) and market it as a 2nd hand Sasara

archeotech
The issue of recasters aside, I believe from the technical aspect it is quite hard to recast vinyl due to the high level of technical proficiency required as well as the high cost of the raw materials..I suppose the only way recasters could earn money is to recast an extremely popular sculpt ( for e.g. Sasara) and market it as a 2nd hand Sasara

I think it's most likely that they'd just recast the heads in resin.

Doll Face

This also made me scared when I got my first DD, I sat there wondering if a DD COULD in fact be faked. I mean, it would be a lot harder to fake than I resin doll right? I'm so paranoid about recasts when it comes to buying my resin dolls, so I worried the same thing with DDs. To my knowledge there are none to worry about... YET. But as someone else said, the most common scam with these bad boys is them being over priced. Someone new to the doll world could go on EBay and find a Yukino for 700, not knowing that they are WAAAAAY less than that on the volks site and not limited. In DD's case, knowledge is power and the main thing at the moment you need to keep from getting scammed considering there are "no fakes" yet DX

twinage

I'm not sure if they can recast a dollfie still in vinyl cause if I'm not mistaken, when Danny make her mirai into vinyl from 3D printing, he have to make a bigger mirai since the shrinking is quite big.

So if somebody tried to cast a DD head, probably they end up with a MDD sized head instead, which is pretty easy to spot. And I don't think recaster going to recast the head in resin, cause recast is to imitate the original and a resin head can't sold as a DD.

But recaster may have recast a DD, mod it a little bit and it become a new company. Especially these day, I find DD sculpt have many similarities with each other.

I think even if in DoA there is an anti-recast thread, not much people is going to post on it. They can make a list of recast companies, how to spot one, etc but no photo of comparison. Like if one posted a comparison, people can be suspicious with the owner is a pro-recast or befriend with people who own recast and people who in the BJD world for quite long time has recognized some bullying involved in recast. Which I think maybe DoA is quite better without anti-recast thread. But maybe they should post a wiki page instead.

Dolline

I have never seen Fake dollfe dream yet. And I think it is really defficult to make fake Dollfie dream

because it relate to technical problem. Making process of DD is really expensive compare to Resin doll

(super dollfie). I do not thinl it will come out in future too

katzilla

Having come from the resin BJD hobby and having collected other figures in the past I was wondering whether there was also as much of an issue with fakes in the DD hobby as there is with Recasts in the BJD hobby or even as much as there is with bootleg figures. I'm glad to hear that this is a big no, and hopefully things stay that way. In the BJD hobby especially, I am sick of all the recast drama that goes on there - in the Tumblr community there always seems to be new drama all the time with new dolls and new artists being recast on a regular basis and lack of effective international legal protection available out there for artists to help prevent it. Thankfully the costs in quality vinyl reproduction seem to have at least kept things at bay here in the DD community and hopefully they stay that way.

kudoku

Bumping an old thread, but are we still safe from recasts?

Mario
Bumping an old thread, but are we still safe from recasts?

According to Volks, no. They have apparently started getting fake DDs as well as SDs for their services(such as repairs) To make things worse, people are also recasting DD/SD accessories.(probably things like Saber's swords)

The full statement is on their facebook post.

●Please be aware of illegal Dollfie® goods

Thank you very much for your continued patronage of VOLKS.

Recently, we have received a large number of emails in regards to damages caused to fraudulent products of Super Dollfie® and Dollfie Dream®. Please refer to the details below so that you can avoid such situations. We will be noting some precautions.

Given recent cirbleepstances, we have found that SDs and DDs brought to VOLKS stores have been illegal copied recasts. Due to this, we needed to refuse any after service for these dolls.

We assume that these dolls found might be illegal recasts using the name of Super Dollfie® and Dollfie Dream® purchased through the internet and auction sites both inside and outside Japan or might be possibly, so we are currently investigating the details at the moment.

To avoid any disappointments and unfortunate situations in your wonderful doll life, we would like to guide you through some warnings.

_ _ _

●There is a possibility that “Dollfie®” sold outside of VOLKS stores and VOLKS events will not be a genuine product.

Recently, there is another possibility that the dolls sold through mail-order, internet sites, online auctions, and second hand good stores are illegally manufactured VOLKS brand Super Dollfie®, Dollfie Dream®, and copied goods.

Careful counterfeiting has also been confirmed for accessories and other items in order to make it look more like a genuine article.

Please be careful when purchasing.

December 2016

VOLKS Inc. Hideyuki Shigeta

BeyondTime

I believe they are most likely referring to the original Dollfie Dream body which was made from Resin.

Cauldroness gave a pretty good explanation of why recasting Vinyl dolls is probably much more trouble than it is worth. I can't recall where the post is, but I do seem to recall the temperatures involved in working with Vinyl made it an unrealistic prospect. It sounded like you really needed an industrial facility whereas resin recasts could be made in your garage.

Certainly clothing and plastic goods could be copied and sold as originals.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Mario
I believe they are most likely referring to the original Dollfie Dream body which was made from Resin.

Cauldroness gave a pretty good explanation of why recasting Vinyl dolls is probably much more trouble than it is worth. I can't recall where the post is, but I do seem to recall the temperatures involved in working with Vinyl made it an unrealistic prospect. It sounded like you really needed an industrial facility whereas resin recasts could be made in your garage.

Could be, my theory was that making the skeleton system would be much more of a pain to recast than the doll parts itself. Plus the soft vinyl itself is expensive to make anyway.

Just to be safe though, just make sure you buy from places which do check for authenticity.(Mandarake for example.)

Volks mentions they do not provide services to both resin/soft vinyl of their recasted products.

We refuse to offer services for any imitated Dollfie®, including illegal copies of resin (urethane cast) dolls, soft vinyl dolls, and recasted dolls made overseas.

I am sure someone was cheeky enough to attempt rescasting a soft vinyl DD into soft vinyl, but it's probably a slim chance of seeing one due to expenses involving it.

(the only ones I would think would exist as a recast ((If they want to even make their moneys worth)) is expensive/rare girls like Sasaras, Tamaki, Sabers etc. If they aren't then it is indeed a huge waste of money )

Lets just hope nobody is unlucky enough to get a recasted DD. I know I would be furious.

moevelvet

Is there a thread here with pictures of the original dollfie dream body?

BeyondTime

Is there a thread here with pictures of the original dollfie dream body?

I think Baldylox either has or had one.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Poofiemus

Technically, the DDI body was still vinyl (a much harder vinyl, but vinyl), but was still strung with elastic. The DDI was a strange animal.

Yup. Vinyl basically NEEDS to be cast in a big, heavy steel mold. Resin can be cast using silicone molds instead. So, an actual vinyl recast would be highly unlikely--for the amount of effort and capital that would take, it would practically make more sense to go whole hog, get a sculptor, and try to be a legit competitor!

That said, resin recasts of DDs are possible. There's only one known case I know of, and that's this bizarre body someone found at a convention.

So, recast DDs aren't entirely impossible, but if you DO see one, odds are it's going to be dead obvious it's a recast the very second you hold it in your hands, because the material will be wrong.

Also, re: the idea of copying clothes and accessories, IIRC that's. . . not much of a thing with resin recasters? Pretty sure I recall seeing somewhere (probably DOA) that recasters rarely bother with things like wigs, clothes, certificates, proper boxes, etc.--probably because that's an entirely different set of supplies and skills. Not to say knockoff outfits, shoes, props and wigs don't exist, but they're typically not made or sold by the same people doing recasting.

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

BeyondTime

Technically, the DDI body was still vinyl (a much harder vinyl, but vinyl), but was still strung with elastic. The DDI was a strange animal.

Oh that's right it was the stringing that made them like resins. My bad, I got my details mixed up.

Thespian

There's also someone in the Tumblr Dollfie Dream tag claiming they have a recast DD, but from the pictures of the head/body, it's definitely a recast 2D Luts doll. Just so no one new to the forum/DDs sees that and starts panicking

Kiyomi DDS DDH-06 🧡 Miyuki DDS DDH-06 🧡 Shiori DDS Mariko Summer Festival 🧡 Kanade DDDy DDH-07 🧡 Honoka DD DDH-09

Any pronouns are fine

Kumi

So is it 2D or Luts?

Because they're different companies and both released "anime style" resin dolls. To add to the confusion...

buncho
There's also someone in the Tumblr Dollfie Dream tag claiming they have a recast DD, but from the pictures of the head/body, it's definitely a recast 2D Luts doll. Just so no one new to the forum/DDs sees that and starts panicking

Do you have a link to this? I've been looking but I can't find anything.

Cauldroness

I think this is the post you're looking for:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=13514&hilit=recast&start=70#p196544

I'm still yet to see a vinyl DD recast. Resin DD recasts are definitely out there but easy to identify:

- Resin, not vinyl

- Strung, no internal skeleton

- Super heavy compared to legit DD

Very rarely, Volks has released resin DDs as one-offs, but I've never seen one go up for sale and they would cost major $$$$ if they did.

Doll Photos & Doll Jewelry Sales: Follow me on Instagram

Kumi

About resin one-offs

pic1e.jpg

IIRC last time it was Moe during Volks Dolls Party 26 (Tokyo Big Sight).

But she was on SDGr body - it's not a resin version of DD, it's a "standard" Volks resin body.

And she was very expensive - sold for 310 000 JPY, at that time it was around 4000$

Mostly because it's one-off limited piece with faceup and clothing set, because the SDGr body is available separately for much less and the Moe head isn't that very rare and expensive.

Edited by Guest

Poofiemus

Yeah, and the older resin one-offs were based off the DDI body, which was already designed to be strung.

(FWIW I'm pretty sure that Moe one-off was a charity auction, so that's another reason the price is ridiculous--bidding drove it there.)

So, yeah, resin one-off DDs exist, but it's the outfit/faceup/wig that make them truly special, and honestly they're so damn rare that the odds of seeing them on the aftermarket are quite low.

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

Cauldroness

As Poofiemus said, the earlier resin DD one-offs used a resin version of the DDI body -- some were released before the SDGr body was available.

Also, I'm not sure if this is how they do it anymore, but the resin one-offs came with resin DD heads too. So a vinyl Moe head might not be very rare of expensive, but a resin Moe head would be one of a kind! So that's an extra factor that makes them more unique as well.

BeyondTime

I think this is the post you're looking for:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=13514&hilit=recast&start=70#p196544

Thanks for digging up the post. I remembered it was a detailed explanation of the process, and it really made sense why no one would think it worth their time.

And Moe looks spectacular as a resin. As much as like my DD's, my two resins Ami Ayase & Belldandy, are definitely in a class of their own.

Kumi
Also, I'm not sure if this is how they do it anymore, but the resin one-offs came with resin DD heads too. So a vinyl Moe head might not be very rare of expensive, but a resin Moe head would be one of a kind! So that's an extra factor that makes them more unique as well.

I'm not sure the Moe head was resin at all.

I mean, if Volks didn't bother with the body and took "off-the-shelf" SDGr, they could use standard Moe head as well.

It was different than at the beginning, when they released resin Mirai. In 2011 DDs weren't considered as "lesser and cheaper" than resins even at Volks HQ, at that time they were well aware of the value, the market and demand for it.

Mind You, some earlier other one-offs were completely vinyl, like these for Dolpa 24 - viewtopic.php?f=46&t=58

Moe was't labeled "Super Dollfie Dream" either, but "SDGr x Dollfie Dream", like some kind of hybrid.

Unfortunately, all the Dolpa 26 pages I bookmarked are no more and I can't find any more info.

Cauldroness

I'm just not sure a soft vinyl head could withstand the pressure of an S-hook and elastic required to string a heavy resin body, which makes me think it's probably a resin head...

(Also I don't think Volks using an SDGr is a sign that it "didn't bother" -- the SDGr is an incredibly popular body with similar proportions to the DD but better posing than the DDI, so it may be a sign of "extra effort" to make the doll as appealing as possible?)

Kumi

"Didn't bother" in a sense, that they didn't made a special (one-off) resin version of a DD body, like it was with SDD Mirai.

Well, for the head I don't have any official description, so it might be either resin or vinyl head.

But Volks could use something like that

DDheadexchatt_zpsd317e01e.jpg

It's original Volks part for DD II heads to be mounted on a strung DD I body - DD Head Exchange Attachment. Maybe it's usable for other strung bodies too.

Anyway, this is rather academic discussion, resin Moe is rather unlikely to pop up somewhere for sale

Edited by Guest