Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Nakitaninja

Fake Dollfie Dreams?!

Kumi
Oof, that would be weird to see a resin version of a Dollfie Dream.

No, not at all.

Volks did that several times in the past, search for Super Dollfie Dream and some Volks one-offs for Dolpa (like Moe on SDGr body). We have pictures here

But they weren't a resin recasts of DD, they had different bodies.

I think, the recaster doesn't know about DD internal structure and thinks that they're just some brand of resin dolls. The price is similar to, say, recasted Fairyland Feeple65 (also shipping included).

"Recasting" or bootlegging a DD is - as stated in this thread - much more complicated than some think.

JChiibs
Oof, that would be weird to see a resin version of a Dollfie Dream. However, if they recast them in vinyl, how would we tell what is fake and what's not?

Other than quality if they did manage to pull of making them in vinyl, there is the huge issue of color. I have spent plenty of time trying to think about how to color match 3D printed MDD replacement parts (since it is something I need and Volks will never offer...) and even thinking it through is hair-pulling maddening. I've been mentally running through all of the options I have available for months now, and I often just end up shaking my head. Even the WS bodies aren't even remotely close to a pure white. Who knows, part of the manufacture process/heat could also affect the color, making accurate matching even more difficult.

Just my 2 cents.

~Sister Kyoya

12926590414_996a8b87ea_o.png

Forum Blog: Badger Pocket Tales (Family story from the beginning) | { Old Family story reboot: Start Here! }

Follow me on Twitter, Flickr & Instagram

Coco

Ooh, do you think that funny DD fake colors could convince Volks to try different vinyl colors? Like, if someone got a purple Melty fake, we could at least start seeing legitimate tan girls? Kind of like how Fairyland suddenly decided to finally release tan, after all those pictures of tan knockoffs crept up. My dream of an Urd DD girl could finally come true without spray paint!

Kumi

Well Volks being Volks, it's rather unlikely

They didn't managed yet to release MDD in color other than normal, for example...

Despite that they announced white MDD parts like year ago.

Fairyland is totally another story. They make dolls for living - and You can say they make only dolls. They more or less have to react to peoples' wishes. It's a relatively small company.

Volks is making models, figures, clothes, garage kits and much more, making annual turnover around 6 billion yen. Someday they started making dolls - and DDs - "by the way".

On the fb another person asked "resin or vinyl?" and still no answers.

I can almost bet, that there won't be a bootleg DD because they don't have the idea of them being vinyl.

Even to recast a head they will need to have a sculptor to make the mold "resin-casting-compatible",

because of the wall thickness and different headcap type.

Minuette

Honestly the whole post and the surrounding commentary on it made my stomach churn. The recaster probably wouldn't have even taken notice of them if people on the group wouldn't have kept asking if there were DD recasts.

I hope everyone involved is happy with their choices, because I'm certainly not. :T It's things like this that have made me distance myself from the recast friendly community.

flowerhoney

(I hope this isn't off topic, as it protains specifically to my own DD ;u; )

Hi ;3;/ I tend to worry a lot about whether or not my doll/figure I'm buying is the real deal, which is why I usually only buy from official company websites. BUT, when I got my DD girl, I got her head off of eBay. I later got all her body parts from Volks USA. The reason I got her head from eBay instead of Volks was because I didn't know that Volks had released the 05 and 07 heads for general sale. (She's a WS DDH-05) Of course buying from anywhere but Volks themselves left me with just a teensy bit of worry that there was a veeeeeeery very small chance her head might not be legit. It feels the same as the vinyl on her body, the color matches the same, the seller had 100% positive feedback and was actually IN Japan, reviewers who'd bought heads from the same person said they were as described, it came in the little plastic Volks box with yellow stickers, (box was a bit banged up, but it was squished into a slightly bigger box and traveled all the way from Japan, so that's understandable), and she has "© 2005 Volks INC Japan" lightly engraved on the back of her head. Basically she seems completely legit, I just worry. Also, her list price was like $80 I think? Which is obviously more expensive than the $40-ish that Volks sells their heads for, so it just seemed like a case of someone buying from the company and re-selling for a profit. The only thing that worried me a bit is that her ears are a touch uneven. I've looked at pictures of other DD heads, and some of their ears seemed to have some similar unevenness, so I thought maybe that's just a DD quirk?

ANYWAY. Point of all this is: I'm like 99% sure my girl's head is legit, I'd just like some reassurance from experienced folks on the matter. ^^;

(If you wanna see pictures of her, you can find a few on my dA; username is usabusa)

☆ If you have to ask, you'll never know. If you know, you need only ask. ☆

Minuette

No one recasts in vinyl. You're fine.

flowerhoney
No one recasts in vinyl. You're fine. :)

Thank you thank you! ;3; <3

Jezrah

Also, about the uneven ears- all Volks heads are originally hand sculpted, as are a lot of doll companies'. This includes DDs, so there are going to be slight imperfections.

But on the other hand, Danny Choo designed his Mirai doll on a computer, so he could have made her completely symmetrical, but didn't, since that's not how people really look.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

Subaru

By the way a very very infamous BJD recaster (luo) is considering try their hand at recasting a Dollfie Dream.

Just a heads up.

My wallet needs a vacation 💸
spacer.png
Blog Insta Ko-Fi Etsy

puxlavoix
By the way a very very infamous BJD recaster (luo) is considering try their hand at recasting a Dollfie Dream.

Just a heads up.

It really gets on my nerves the fact that some people will forever keep trying to get things the easiest-cheapest way

Don't know if this has been brought up, but I wonder how forgiving community admins and we as members-owners would act towards somebody who knowingly got such fake a** doll... You know like joining the forums, local DD group and such interactions given the case ... Most probably I wouldn't even talk to them or let them near me or my dolls or my DD friends at all but that's just me...

1505193317_sig1copy.png.892dcb9d95734be68d4282d5f06843bb.png1495205582_sig2copy.png.b9f2cb50f3c66e638bd5c8a75bd10688.png

flowerhoney

Sounds like if that really does start happening, it will become here like it had to on DoA with a zero tolerance policy for recasts/fakes. Really hope it doesn't get bad enough for that to have to happen on here. What ever happened to working hard to get the real deal/legit products? I say if you really cared enough about something and it was important enough to you, you'd be willing to work hard and save up so that you'd be able to get the real thing and be proud of yourself for it. :|

Suzuna

I'd just feel terrible for anyone who got a recast unknowingly, though! I know if it was me I'd probably still love my girl anyway since it wouldn't be her "fault", but I'd feel so dirty for supporting that business.

baldylox
I'd just feel terrible for anyone who got a recast unknowingly, though! I know if it was me I'd probably still love my girl anyway since it wouldn't be her "fault", but I'd feel so dirty for supporting that business.

I totally agree with this. *If* the person got the fake unknowingly then I'd try and show them the differences so they knew next time and then do everything I could to bust the sellers ass online so no one would get nabbed again.

And I'd also still love the girl herself even if she were fake. Like Suzuna said, it's not HER fault she got made so why treat her differently? If I was stuck with one I'd do my best to make her feel at home and loved because that's all these girls want in life.... to be adored and loved.

Now on the other hand, if I knew someone who bought a fake DD ( if there were any out there ) knowingly and tried to pass it off as real, then I'd probably be a little less understanding of them. But I wouldn't lambast them right off the bat. I'd ask them all sorts of questions first and then figure out whether or not they were pure evil or not. Odds are I wouldn't be happy with the person for knowingly helping out the bootleggers and scam artists tho.

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Keijogirl

DD are gaining enough popularity nowadays that they are starting to become more prominent over on bigger sites like DoA and with the bjd hobby seeming to ebb in popularity it's only natural that recasting would turn its eye on the DDs.

I wouldn't hate someone for getting a recast.

I will be one to say I can still be friends but I know your doll is fake and though it might be similar in quality it isn't genuine. I can't ooh and Ahh over it like I would the original genuine doll, but can admire a replica as just that a replica.

I don't think luo could make that much $$ on recast dds. The heads are the important part of the doll and the harder part to get. I doubt many would be willing to sell a DD to luo for recasting or enough would shell out for him to come into possession of one of the more expensive girls. Sure everyone would love one of those rare super pricey girls, but the hunt is the fun part.

Aside from that basic dolls are so cheap he really couldn't successfully and cheaply undercut volks for it to be any worthwhile, imo.

At Home: Kiyo, Hikaru , Nikko, Komaki, Miho, Kana-chan, Tamakits, Illya, Misa, Deku, Nao, Zana, Ciri, Aki, Alisa, Kana, Yuka, Kiki, Komaki (Oni Mode), Ai, Chili, NagisaDDh03Erica, Miyabi, Jun,  Haruka, Sasha, and Laila

Saving for: Accessories! Clothes! Shoes! The Works!

Suzuna

Exactly, Baldy! If DD recasts become a thing, I hope they aren't banned from this community entirely - I'd like to see them in the off topic forums and banned from the marketplace, maybe? It would also be nice if we had a long, extensive list of "how to spot a fake" to prevent people from making those purchases on accident to begin with, but for now this is all thankfully hypothetical talk.

puxlavoix

I'd feel very sorry for any of my girls if I found out that one of them were a fake but even then I don't think i could think differently towards the whole thing... Partial ban = partial support.

Anyway, based in what has been said I really don't see it happening either

1505193317_sig1copy.png.892dcb9d95734be68d4282d5f06843bb.png1495205582_sig2copy.png.b9f2cb50f3c66e638bd5c8a75bd10688.png

Jezrah

I don't know how you could not know it was a fake in advance though unless you're new to the hobby. The copies will probably come blank, which is rare for a DD head. Like others have said, there's probably no point in making the HDD series of heads since they're already affordable. So, a blank inexpensive limited head would ring warning bells, and if they end up making them from resin instead of vinyl that just seals it.

Now if they manage to make them in vinyl, then we have to scrutinize based purely on price, so that could get more tricky.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

Galvatim

Given the popularity of Headplay, the Hot Toys head recaster, and "third-party transformers" there's likely a market for blank recasts of DD heads. It's ojly a matter of time until some unscrupulous group starts selling them on eBay.

AyaToyBox

For real the Dollfie Dream have a recast now ? well vinyl won't be easy one thought

archeotech

I think a policy towards bootlegs/recasts should be in place in that they wont be allowed in the marketplace and there shouldn't be any promotion of recast sellers but there should be information on how to spot recasts or what dolls have been recast etc

I'm personally not happy with the idea of recasts on BJD's or DD's but I wouldn't condemn someone for buying a recast if they bought it knowingly as long as they understand that it's taking finances away from the original company which might have repercussions for that company. Also I would be very angry at someone if they tried selling a recast especially if they pretended it was authentic.

Well just gonna hope it doesn't happen with DD's and if it does it won't be too hard to identify recasts in pictures.

Minuette

We haven't heard anything about the DD recast since it was first mentioned. For those curious it was Lucy they were planning on getting and recasting.

If they manage to successfully bootleg DDs, I agree with archeotech on what the policy should be. DoA has a "no recasts period" policy, so many of it's users don't even know how to identify one.

Byddie

I stopped going to local bjd meets becuase I found out a majority of them were "recast friendly." I simply can't see past something like that. Making casts of mass produced objects is okay, if you modify them to create new works. But taking something designed, sculpted, and fabricated by a single person on their own is entirely different and very wrong.

Suzuna

Thanks for the update, Minuette. And yeah, I hate that about DoA - there's no way to educate yourself without getting knee deep in all that messy recast business. I'm glad there are people around here keeping an eye on it and that we're allowed to discuss these things.

eM-san

What I really do not like about recast is, that you may buy a doll without knowing that it is a recast.

I mean the dishonest sellers.

You spent a lot of money to buy a doll (maybe even limited one or your beloved one) and then it turn out to be a recast.

I also do not like the policy of DOA - you can not know how to defend yourself from recast.

But on the other hand, the DOA is too big - if there would be such a topic on DOA, there right away will be guys, which would say "doa supports recast, because there is a topic about it" ( they will not understand that this topic is against it).